Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

by sandman » 16 May 2020 14:03

Royal Ginger Ian Harte won that game for us against Brighton where they battered us for the full 90 yet he slotted that free kick. He got a couple of games for us that season.

Also Kaspars (love hearts in my eyes) Gorkss

I think Federici's penalty save might have had something to do with winning that Brighton game as well.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Players who virtually won us games/promotion/avoided relegation on their own

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 May 2020 14:04

Great shout on Fozzy in 02/03. I still think we'd have won the playoffs without his injury against Wolves. Not sure how Harper won POTS.

Moore in 17/18 is not a bad shout. Very good season in a poor team. No surprise Brighton were interested at the time, but he hasn't really kicked on since then.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 May 2020 15:01

Sutekh
tmesis If you want to talk individual games, I'd probably opt for Steve Francis at Ipswich on the last day on the 86/87 season.

We only drew, but that was possibly the best goalkeeping display I've seen.

Didn’t Steve win the player of the season that year and he only joined part of the way through 86/87 didn’t he? Best 15 grand ever spent by the club.

I just checked and that was only his 14th game for Reading.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 18 May 2020 12:15

Ibrahima Sonko single handedly got us relegated from the premier league in 2008 with all the stupid penalties he gave away :x

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 May 2020 12:18

Royal_jimmy Ibrahima Sonko single handedly got us relegated from the premier league in 2008 with all the stupid penalties he gave away :x

:|

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 18 May 2020 12:38

Nicky Shorey - in one game vs Middlesborough. First game of Premier League, losing, from left back he took the ball and in one move and overall performance said "we deserve to be here". No relegation and best ever season followed because the whole team then believed, despite the pundits having us down to lose every week.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 May 2020 12:39

Hendo
Royal_jimmy Ibrahima Sonko single handedly got us relegated from the premier league in 2008 with all the stupid penalties he gave away :x

I agree with RJ

Wasn’t anything to do with the fact we got 0 points out of 12 from the two teams directly directly above us (Bolton and Fulham)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 May 2020 12:40

URZZZZ
Hendo

I agree with RJ

Wasn’t anything to do with the fact we got 0 points out of 12 from the two teams directly directly above us (Bolton and Fulham)

:)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 May 2020 12:50

URZZZZ
Hendo

I agree with RJ

And conceding in at least two of those games very late on. It's almost as if the goal difference wasn't the problem in the end

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 May 2020 13:40

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Hendo

I agree with RJ

And conceding in at least two of those games very late on. It's almost as if the goal difference wasn't the problem in the end

Lost 3-1 at Fulham and also lost 2-0 at home to them. I believe that on both occasions their final goal came in injury time of each game, if Reading had managed to keep both out out they would have stayed up at the expense of Fulham.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 May 2020 13:44

Sutekh
Franchise FC
URZZZZ
I agree with RJ

Lost 3-1 at Fulham and also lost 2-0 at home to them. I believe that on both occasions their final goal came in injury time of each game, if Reading had managed to keep both out out they would have stayed up at the expense of Fulham.

Yep, 90 minutes in both of them. We would've stayed up by 1 GD.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 May 2020 14:12

Hendo
Sutekh
Franchise FC And conceding in at least two of those games very late on. It's almost as if the goal difference wasn't the problem in the end

I still remember Stephen Hunt missing a sitter in the 85th minute or so at home to Blackburn a couple of weeks before the Fulham debacle. So many moments. But I never really liked Hunt, so I blame him

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 May 2020 17:18

I do think we’d have stayed up if Coppell had been less loyal to Sonko and instead picked someone more reliable, like Andre Bikey. But the margins were so narrow that we can blame literally everyone and still be correct.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 May 2020 17:33

SCIAG I do think we’d have stayed up if Coppell had been less loyal to Sonko and instead picked someone more reliable, like Andre Bikey. But the margins were so narrow that we can blame literally everyone and still be correct.

Failing to put the finishing touches to signing Gary Cahill didn't help

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 18 May 2020 19:22

Undoubtedly Trevor Morley. We were completely toothless without him in 96/97 and definitely kept us up. But then I would say that wouldn’t I?!

And then Michael Gilkes for all second halves at home when we were kicking towards the tilehurst end in 1993...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 May 2020 20:37

How did we manage to get relegated in 82/3 with the top scorer in the division ?

Ah, it's all right, I remember now.
We had the sh!ttest defence ... so much so that poor Kerry managed to score 4 in a game and still lost.
I think that's another record we may have

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 May 2020 00:25

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo
Sutekh

I still remember Stephen Hunt missing a sitter in the 85th minute or so at home to Blackburn a couple of weeks before the Fulham debacle. So many moments. But I never really liked Hunt, so I blame him

Yes, remember this, we were under the cosh for most of that second half with Matejovsky sent off, then S Hunt missed the ball at the end

As you say, lots of if's and but's, but I think the double header of Spurs (A) and Pompey (H) was the catalyst for the downturn in form. To score 4 goals away from home and still lose, with their 5th goal being completely unfair, you need a strong reaction in the next game, not your CB being sent off after four minutes. Prior to those two games, we were unbeaten in 5

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 May 2020 03:05

Nick Blackman was only here for a few months of the 2015/2016 season but still finished our top scorer, and if you take his goals & assists away we finished 21st and only narrowly avoided relegation.

Our squad performed so poorly that season that, if the club had allowed votes for him, I'm sure he would have won player of the season.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 May 2020 09:06

blueroyals Nick Blackman was only here for a few months of the 2015/2016 season but still finished our top scorer, and if you take his goals & assists away we finished 21st and only narrowly avoided relegation.

Our squad performed so poorly that season that, if the club had allowed votes for him, I'm sure he would have won player of the season.

Because yes, if you take away his goals and assists, no one else would've scored or provided assists with him not being in the team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 May 2020 13:05

Franchise FC
SCIAG I do think we’d have stayed up if Coppell had been less loyal to Sonko and instead picked someone more reliable, like Andre Bikey. But the margins were so narrow that we can blame literally everyone and still be correct.

Failing to put the finishing touches to signing Gary Cahill didn't help

As I recall Reading were also at the time very heavily linked with signing proven PL players Matthew Taylor and Gary O’Neil but got the likes of Fae and Matejovsky instead. Not sure whose bright idea that was, whether it was doing things cheap again or whether those players just didn’t want to come, but I’m sure Reading would have been comfortable in the PL if they had arrived at the club.