Championship to return

235 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Championship to return

by royalp-we » 14 Jun 2020 09:21

Just a thought about the cancelled Spurs game yesterday - do you think the club got a tip off about the failed test at Norwich (who played spurs on Friday)?

Apparently we play Portsmouth today according to BBC Berks reporter.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jun 2020 10:12

royalp-we Just a thought about the cancelled Spurs game yesterday - do you think the club got a tip off about the failed test at Norwich (who played spurs on Friday)?

Quite possible you’re correct there

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jun 2020 10:33

You would have the thought the entire Norwich and Spurs teams that took the field will need to be tested again before next week, and what happens if there is another positive result?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 11:01

The fixtures seem to be based on an assumption that no games will be called off, which once games are underway presumably relies on no positive tests ?
If a game is called off there appears to be no real room to reschedule.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2020 11:10

royalp-we
Nameless
royalp-we
So no food / drink on a matchday? I don’t buy that crap, but would it really be worth opening the turnstiles at the madejski for 3000 attendees ticket money alone? That’s £30k to £60k per match. May aswell just take the money for people subscribing to ifollow.

It’s not 3000 for goodness sake !
6000 @ £15 is £90,000
Oddly football is about more than money. For many watchingonline isn’t any kind of option, I won’t bother, may as well play FIFA (if I knew how).:Finding a way to allow fans in means there is actually a point to playing the games.
You could do food but use outside stalls as in the Fan Zone, avoid creating inside congestion.

Amazing the inability of some to think positively. Must be great spending your life thinking of reasonsnot to do stuff !

:|

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Stop being a stroppy little oxf*rd.

The club can’t run at a loss just because it would be nice to have a couple of thousand fans in the stadium.

It is perfectly reasonable.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 11:19

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we
Nameless
It’s not 3000 for goodness sake !
6000 @ £15 is £90,000
Oddly football is about more than money. For many watchingonline isn’t any kind of option, I won’t bother, may as well play FIFA (if I knew how).:Finding a way to allow fans in means there is actually a point to playing the games.
You could do food but use outside stalls as in the Fan Zone, avoid creating inside congestion.

Amazing the inability of some to think positively. Must be great spending your life thinking of reasonsnot to do stuff !

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question. Stop being a stroppy little oxf*rd.

The club can’t run at a loss just because it would be nice to have a couple of thousand fans in the stadium.

Thanks for your judgement.
It got a reasonable answer as well....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2020 11:44

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
royalp-we

Yes m'lud, sorry m'lud. Understand none of us are allowed to disagree with you m'lud.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 11:52

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal It is perfectly reasonable.

Yes m'lud, sorry m'lud. Understand none of us are allowed to disagree with you m'lud.

How deeply, deeply ironic .....

You may be the least self aware person I have ever encountered , but to manage such a demonstration in successive posts is just stunning....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2020 12:05

Just to point out, that's twice I have merely agreed with something someone has posted in this thread, not engaging with you, to have you jump in two footed and have a go.

I also think most people reading your response to royalp-we wouldn't consider it particularly reasonable, and in fact unnecessarily arsey.

But clearly you're just spoiling for a fight with me at any opportunity, so I'm out.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 12:41

Snowflake Royal so I'm out.

Twice you’ve made zero value comments with the sole purpose of imposing your judgements on a conversation which you had had no previous engagement in.

Sorry if you don’t like People pointing out how insufferable you can be, I’m not the only one to have been the subject of your attempt to impose your stamp on things,

I have no interest in fighting with you, it would be a singularly unexciting way to spend time, at the same time I’m not really going to roll over and allow you to plaster your judgements over anything I say. Classic example with you deciding whether a comment that had nothing to do with you was ‘unnecessarily arsey’. Do you not see how pathetic that sounds ?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jun 2020 13:34

royalp-we Just a thought about the cancelled Spurs game yesterday - do you think the club got a tip off about the failed test at Norwich (who played spurs on Friday)?

The Spurs game was cancelled because Norwich and Spurs agreed to play their friendly on Friday as 4 x 30 minutes meaning most of the Spurs squad got a decent run out whereas before Spurs were going to split their squad between the two games. Spurs lost to Norwich 2-1 after leading 1-0.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Jun 2020 14:14

sandman
The Royal Forester
Sutekh The salary cap idea is starting to gain some pace. The FL are looking to have a vote on Monday amongst member clubs to reduce the majority needed on passing FFP regulations from 75% of clubs to 67%. If that’s agreed then hopefully the idea stands a much better chance of being accepted though around 16 Championship clubs would still have to be in favour for it to be passed.

Whilst I agree something must be done about the absurd wages paid to Championship players, there is a problem with a salary cap based on club's income/revenue. it means the more money coming into a club means the more they can pay out. In other words, it will benefit the so-called bigger clubs, as they will have more income, will the parachute payments be classed as income? If so, that would be another advantage. The only way I can see around it, would be to make the cap the same amount for every club, perhaps based on the divisions total income and diveded by 24, but I cannot see the clubs with the most revenue agreeing to it./quote]

Exactly why FFP does not work. As always, it is designed to keep the big clubs big without any of those nasty billionaires coming along and upsetting the apple cart.

Entirely agree with that criticism of FFP, it is geared to keep the smaller clubs out of things and while spending doesn’t guarantee success it does help when a club has the right management in place.

Believe the cap proposal is that clubs would be limited to no more than £20 million per year on player wages across their entire squad (just for the record a squad of 25 players on an average of £15000 per player per week would equate to £19.5 million). I personally think that is more than adequate but no doubt any “big” club in the Championship would disagree.

If accepted then it’ll probably be 12 months before it comes in to give clubs time to comply. Would imagine though that there would to have to be exceptions for PL clubs that find themselves relegated, with perhaps them being given, say, 12 months grace before having to apply the cap.

I think there are also rumours of a vote for clubs on limiting squad numbers (eg no more than 25). Wonder if that would mean clubs naming a squad at the end of each transfer window and only being able to use those players named for league games.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 14:45

Sutekh
sandman
The Royal Forester Whilst I agree something must be done about the absurd wages paid to Championship players, there is a problem with a salary cap based on club's income/revenue. it means the more money coming into a club means the more they can pay out. In other words, it will benefit the so-called bigger clubs, as they will have more income, will the parachute payments be classed as income? If so, that would be another advantage. The only way I can see around it, would be to make the cap the same amount for every club, perhaps based on the divisions total income and diveded by 24, but I cannot see the clubs with the most revenue agreeing to it./quote]

Exactly why FFP does not work. As always, it is designed to keep the big clubs big without any of those nasty billionaires coming along and upsetting the apple cart.

Entirely agree with that criticism of FFP, it is geared to keep the smaller clubs out of things and while spending doesn’t guarantee success it does help when a club has the right management in place.

Believe the cap proposal is that clubs would be limited to no more than £20 million per year on player wages across their entire squad (just for the record a squad of 25 players on an average of £15000 per player per week would equate to £19.5 million). I personally think that is more than adequate but no doubt any “big” club in the Championship would disagree.

If accepted then it’ll probably be 12 months before it comes in to give clubs time to comply. Would imagine though that there would to have to be exceptions for PL clubs that find themselves relegated, with perhaps them being given, say, 12 months grace before having to apply the cap.

I think there are also rumours of a vote for clubs on limiting squad numbers (eg no more than 25). Wonder if that would mean clubs naming a squad at the end of each transfer window and only being able to use those players named for league games.

I really hope they use the opportunity to encourage clubs to develop their own talent. It ought to be possible to structure the cap in such a way that clubs using players who have come through their Academy get credits to offset against the limit. It’s not easy, it would go against clubs like Brentford who don’t have an academy but I think it would be a positive thing to include.
Presumably it won’t be as blunt as simply counting annual declared salary but will cover all benefits given to players over the duration of a contract.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Jun 2020 14:49

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... -friendly/

3-1 friendly win against Portsmouth

goals from Lucas Joao (Swift assist), Omar Richards and Michael Olise (Masika)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2020 14:55

morganb https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/report--royals-take-on-pompey-in-a-pre-restart-friendly/

Nice.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 14:58

morganb https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/report--royals-take-on-pompey-in-a-pre-restart-friendly/

Not seen full line ups from the games but interesting to see who seems to have, or not have, been involved.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jun 2020 16:54

Sutekh

The Spurs game was cancelled because Norwich and Spurs agreed to play their friendly on Friday as 4 x 30 minutes meaning most of the Spurs squad got a decent run out whereas before Spurs were going to split their squad between the two games. Spurs lost to Norwich 2-1 after leading 1-0.

Thanks Sutekh, I hadn’t seen any info as to why it was cancelled and that makes perfect sense. Interesting to hear on SSN that none of the Spurs players will need to self-isolate as they didn’t come within close contact for 15mins or more - All very strange!

Sounds like a really worthwhile run out for the squad today against a decent and challenging Pompey team. Brilliant to hear we scored a couple and playing in the empty mad stad was great preparation for the coming weeks, wouldnt have been quite the same playing at the training ground. Good work all round.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Jun 2020 17:23

royalp-we
Sutekh

Thanks Sutekh, I hadn’t seen any info as to why it was cancelled and that makes perfect sense. Interesting to hear on SSN that none of the Spurs players will need to self-isolate as they didn’t come within close contact for 15mins or more - All very strange!

Sounds like a really worthwhile run out for the squad today against a decent and challenging Pompey team. Brilliant to hear we scored a couple and playing in the empty mad stad was great preparation for the coming weeks, wouldnt have been quite the same playing at the training ground. Good work all round.

Heard an interview with a sports psych who works with Sheff Utd (ex pro cricketer). He was talking about the importance of players getting accustomed to playing in an empty stadium. Apparantly Sheff Utd have done most of their training at Bramall Lane.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2020 17:35

No need for us to do any extra practice on top of the rest of the season.

Etc etc.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Jun 2020 20:42

Snowflake Royal No need for us to do any extra practice on top of the rest of the season.

Etc etc.

It’s an obvious punchline to a crap joke but actually would think it wouldn’t affect us in the way it might do for Leeds or Millwall for example

235 posts