Obita new contract

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

Obita new contract

by blueroyals » 19 Jun 2020 19:12

I can't believe we're on the verge of letting this guy go on a free! Yes he's had a couple of bad years with injuries, but he was one of the top 5 full backs in the league before his injury, been at the club since he was a kid, is versatile, is only 26, can't imagine he's on a particularly eye-watering wage either?

For "one of our own", who has played 150 games for the club, I would've thought more would feel the same as I do, or am I missing something?

He's only played a handful of games this season since coming back, but has 3 goals 5 assists. I'd say that injury is behind him.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Obita new contract

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Jun 2020 20:41

blueroyals I can't believe we're on the verge of letting this guy go on a free! Yes he's had a couple of bad years with injuries, but he was one of the top 5 full backs in the league before his injury, been at the club since he was a kid, is versatile, is only 26, can't imagine he's on a particularly eye-watering wage either?

For "one of our own", who has played 150 games for the club, I would've thought more would feel the same as I do, or am I missing something?

He's only played a handful of games this season since coming back, but has 3 goals 5 assists. I'd say that injury is behind him.

Personally I think we have done the right thing. Not sure what wages he was on but we need to cut the squad size and wage bill down. I think he is one of those players who will never be right and too high risk in injury terms. Sad, because he could easily have gone on to greater things.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2020 21:09

I really think he is worth a one year deal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2020 21:27

Zip I really think he is worth a one year deal.

If he hadn't come through the ranks you probably wouldnt. Still decent but struggles to play 2 or 3 games in a week. No surprise to me if he leaves but wouldn't be upset if he stayed as back-up.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2020 21:30

Stranded

If he hadn't come through the ranks you probably wouldnt. Still decent but struggles to play 2 or 3 games in a week. No surprise to me if he leaves but wouldn't be upset if he stayed as back-up.

I think he’s done well this season.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jun 2020 21:38

blueroyals I can't believe we're on the verge of letting this guy go on a free! Yes he's had a couple of bad years with injuries, but he was one of the top 5 full backs in the league before his injury, been at the club since he was a kid, is versatile, is only 26, can't imagine he's on a particularly eye-watering wage either?

Not sure where you have seen that news but if true I would agree. Will be very disappointed if he does not get at least another year as he deserves it. If we don't offer an extension it would suggest that the financial situation is truly dire and we will be playing a lot of the U23's next season.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 19 Jun 2020 21:53

I think he is worth another year but i think he would be looking for longer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jun 2020 21:55

Henley Royal 1

Who is going to sign him?

I’d offer a one year on reduced. I thought he played well in the season but the knee is a concern and it’s prob football now through til next summer

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2020 22:09

Hound
Henley Royal 1

I’d offer a one year on reduced. I thought he played well in the season but the knee is a concern and it’s prob football now through til next summer

I reckon plenty of League One teams would be interested

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Jun 2020 23:24

Completely agree with the OP. Aside from Charlie Adam he’s the only player with a decent left foot at the football club. His performances this season should warrant a new 1yr deal.

With Blackett leaving too that will leave us with Richards, another player who doesn’t look like he would last a full champ season week in week out just yet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jun 2020 06:52

Zip
Hound
Henley Royal 1 I think he is worth another year but i think he would be looking for longer.

I reckon plenty of League One teams would be interested

Pre-Covid yes. Not sure they’ll be using much of a reduced budget on someone with a dodgy knee now though

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 20 Jun 2020 08:39

Of all the players ooc Obita is most deserving if a new deal. For starters he is in a position we need back up/competition for. Would be very happy to see him sign an extension.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 20 Jun 2020 08:53

We should have bite the bullet 2-3 years ago and spent the money to buy a proper replacement - especially give we have so few options in that position.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 20 Jun 2020 11:40

If the club wasn't in financial ruins I'd say it would be worth offering him a 1 year deal but with the situation the club are in we can't be taking any risks especially for semi sentimental reasons.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jun 2020 12:09

I wouldn't have thought he'd be on a huge wedge and he's looked as good as any since his return. The club have, rightly, been cautious in bringing him back into the fold by not wanting to "over play" him so he's not gone straight back to being a regular.

Reading will look at how he's done in training, how he's done in games as well as taking qualified medical advice. I reckon he'll be offered a new deal, perhaps 2 years and I wouldn't be disappointed with that.

Left back though could be seen as the weakest position in the squad as the club, currently, have 2 right backs (Gunter (presumably not going to be at the club next season) and Yiadom) that can play there, Tyler Blackett who is also not likely to be at the club next season leaving just Obita, who still has a point to prove after injury, and Richards who I think the jury is still out on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jun 2020 12:14

Richards is decent I think - a lot of potential

With Obita, have to remember he signed that deal when Gourlay was pissing money in all directions and coming off a very strong end to the previous season

I expect he’s on a big wage by champ standards - no way he’ll be offered that again in current circumstances

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Jun 2020 13:13

It’s an assumption we’re not going to offer him a deal surely ?
I would think many deals will be on ice, probably pending clarification of FFP.
Wouldn’t surprise me if there is a 1 year deal waiting to be signed at the end of the month unless FFP is scrapped in which case we can offer more.
Yet another situation where possibly the nonsense that is FFP causes unnecessary problems.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2020 13:21

Zip
Stranded

I think he’s done well this season.

+1

Come back from injury fairly well, 2 goals and 2 assists in 11(3).

Already losing Blackett this summer. Richards promising but nothing amazing. Makes perfect sense to offer him a year and maybe even auto extend if he plays 20 games say.

Are we going to find anyone as good and versatile for less, reliably?

Only makes sense to let him go if we're planning on making a signing there to improve on him and Richards. And I wouldn't say fullback should be our big priority position.

DM, LW, RW, CB, maybe GK, probably RB all more important than LB when we've got Obita available.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Jun 2020 14:01

A start today for Obita...

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Jun 2020 19:12

Obita would serve a usefull role in the squad with Blackett going. Richards has potential , still only 22. Little point in disrupting the balance of the squad more than need be. Might be far fewer fixtures to play next season.