Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2020 20:53

SCIAG
Nameless
NewCorkSeth Howe wanted out though right? Can we stop pretending he would have been fine as number 2? Or even ready??

I certainly heard that there was a bit more to the move than we just decided he wasn’t good enough. My source isn’t good enough to say more, and there was nothing untoward involved.

The impression I got was that Teddy wanted more game time and Nigel found it awkward. Middlesbrough fans must be glad Steve Gibson didn’t have any similar trouble with Ben.

Not quite the story I got but there was an element of Teddy feeling he needed to not be constantly told he was only in the team because of his dad (which was never a fair comment)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Jul 2020 21:00

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Howe wanted out though right? Can we stop pretending he would have been fine as number 2? Or even ready??

Where you getting that from?

He looked fine in his appearances. Why wouldn't he be ok for No 2? Who do we have that's better currently?

A converted academy CB who is ooc or a Brazilian, apparently defensive midfielder, that's had less than a game at RB for us?

His dad hinted that he’d had a hard time because of who his dad was at various times at the club. I suspect Nigel himself wasn’t unhappy to see him get a go elsewhere

Araruna was clearly a cheap punt courtesy of Mattos. Probably won’t work out. He doesn’t look a bad player but prob not good enough

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Jul 2020 21:42

Nameless
Zip
Nameless AGree with Snowflake that if you play youngsters you have to do it sensibly. It’s not fair on them to put a team out that is disjointed, not played together much or has players out of position.
Playing Osho and McIntyre together in the centre just makes no sense. There is nothing to learn.
Stuff has to be done for a reason, not just to say ‘we gave x a chance’.

I don’t see why playing Osho and McIntyre together at this stage of the season is such a problem. They may be two of our four centre backs next season. It would take an injury and suspension of other centre backs for them to be alongside each other. Bowen can use these next five games to experiment. Perhaps put two experienced full backs alongside them to give them support.

Because as I hear it Osho is out contract and there was not a contract on the table for him as a centre back. That may have changed but playing him there would be like experimenting with McCleary at rightback.
Much more relevant to play McIntyre and Morrison who may well be our regular pairing than play two players highly 7nlikely to play together.

I would now expect Osho to get a deal. It’s not really a like for like with McCleary as right back because that’s not GMac’s normal position. Osho is a centre back. Whether Bowen seems him as a right back going forward remains to be seen. He is quite small for a centre back. It was noticeable that he looked a fair bit smaller than Blackett during his debut v Boro. He is strong though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Jul 2020 21:46

Zip
Nameless
Zip
I don’t see why playing Osho and McIntyre together at this stage of the season is such a problem. They may be two of our four centre backs next season. It would take an injury and suspension of other centre backs for them to be alongside each other. Bowen can use these next five games to experiment. Perhaps put two experienced full backs alongside them to give them support.

Because as I hear it Osho is out contract and there was not a contract on the table for him as a centre back. That may have changed but playing him there would be like experimenting with McCleary at rightback.
Much more relevant to play McIntyre and Morrison who may well be our regular pairing than play two players highly 7nlikely to play together.

I would now expect Osho to get a deal. It’s not really a like for like with McCleary as right back because that’s not GMac’s normal position. Osho is a centre back. Whether Bowen seems him as a right back going forward remains to be seen. He is quite small for a centre back. It was noticeable that he looked a fair bit smaller than Blackett during his debut v Boro. He is strong though.

Ideal if Osho can switch into a right back. We have one of the best right backs in the league for him to learn from in the shape of Yiadom.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Jul 2020 21:49

Old Man Andrews
Zip
Nameless

Ideal if Osho can switch into a right back. We have one of the best right backs in the league for him to learn from in the shape of Yiadom.

Gunter is leaving though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 07:07

Snowflake Royal

He looked fine in his appearances. Why wouldn't he be ok for No 2? Who do we have that's better currently?

A converted academy CB who is ooc or a Brazilian, apparently defensive midfielder, that's had less than a game at RB for us?

Ah. Bad wording. The Howe wanting out part was suggested at the time and when I said "fine as number 2" I was trying to say "he would be fine with staying as number 2". I recall it being mentioned that he wanted to play more and asked to leave due to Bowen being unable to make assurances on game time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 07:18

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Ah. Bad wording. The Howe wanting out part was suggested at the time and when I said "fine as number 2" I was trying to say "he would be fine with staying as number 2". I recall it being mentioned that he wanted to play more and asked to leave due to Bowen being unable to make assurances on game time.

I find it pretty unbelievable that he'd leave a Championship outfit if told he was being groomed as second choice RB behind Yiadom for next season to replace Gunter.

I imagine he will have felt rather blocked off by us signing Araruna, and still having Gunter and Watson on the books and felt his career was stalling here. Plus I've heard the stuff about Nigel thinking he should get out from his shadow for his own good before too. Thought it was stupid then too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 07:28

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Where you getting that from?

I find it pretty unbelievable that he'd leave a Championship outfit if told he was being groomed as second choice RB behind Yiadom for next season to replace Gunter.

I imagine he will have felt rather blocked off by us signing Araruna, and still having Gunter and Watson on the books and felt his career was stalling here. Plus I've heard the stuff about Nigel thinking he should get out from his shadow for his own good before too. Thought it was stupid then too.

To be fair though, had Yiadom ever been injured at that point? The guy looked like a machine. If i was his back up who wanted to start my career I would be thinking I had no chance.

I concede that all I heard at the time was rumours and they cpuld have just been following the usual script.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 09:07

Urm.. Does Barrow want to come back? He just posted a photo of himself playing for Reading with the caption "cant wait".

I mean, provided he isnt one of our ridiculous contracts we should be happy to have him back right? His pace alone...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 09:54

NewCorkSeth Urm.. Does Barrow want to come back? He just posted a photo of himself playing for Reading with the caption "cant wait".

I mean, provided he isnt one of our ridiculous contracts we should be happy to have him back right? His pace alone...

Do we want him back? He's certainly not going to be on a low wage, has reportedly had a want away attitude and has a fairly low work rate. Maybe the grass wasn't greener, or maybe it was always us who wanted shot because we couldn't afford him.

Can you imagine how soft a side with Swift, Ejaria, Olise and Barrow in would be?

He's good. But.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 10:09

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Urm.. Does Barrow want to come back? He just posted a photo of himself playing for Reading with the caption "cant wait".

Do we want him back? He's certainly not going to be on a low wage, has reportedly had a want away attitude and has a fairly low work rate. Maybe the grass wasn't greener, or maybe it was always us who wanted shot because we couldn't afford him.

Can you imagine how soft a side with Swift, Ejaria, Olise and Barrow in would be?

He's good. But.

I cabt think of a player of his quality with more question marks. If he had a bad injury record it would be clear cut.

You're right of course, as fondly as I remember him at times and as useful a player he is, he certainly appeared to have a bad attitude during certain games and twice was reported to have asked for a transfer.

I really thought he wanted out so we didn't have to think about it but now? I dont know. He is a left winger which we don't have, he did have a great partnership and understanding with Meite, he can find the net, he has a hell of a lot of speed.

But then we have been talking a lot about attitude in the team. Is he the right attitude of player? Could we even find someone to buy him?

Big decision ahead! I hope someone comes in for him so we don't have to think about it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2020 10:26

interesting.

Barrow is a tough one to judge. He can definitely add something - he is no Aluko. And he is great mates with Meite so that might help matters as Meite looks to be hanging around

I didnt ever think he had a particularly bad attitude on the pitch, but clearly a bit of a loose cannon off it. Be a useful sub if nothing else

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jul 2020 10:32

It would all depend on the reason we let Barrow go last summer. If we let him go just because of finances alone and the fact we offloaded his salary for a year then I would love to see him back. If however as at times has been suggested he was a bad influence then I very much doubt he will play for Reading again. I have no knowledge either way on that subject but at his best he was excellent for us so personally I hope we can keep him.

As for playing the young players such as Osho and McIntyre it is a difficult choice for RFC. On the one hand Osho, Richards and McIntyre are the future as Bowen says but on the other if we want to sell the likes of Moore and Swift we need them to be in the shop window these next few games. I can see Bowen being told by the powers that be to undertake quite a lot of squad rotation under the guise of keeping things fresh. For that reason it would not surprise me if Moore is back in the team tonight. I just hope fans don’t get on Bowen’s back if that happens as I doubt it will be his choice. To be fair the club has a very difficult job ahead of balancing the finances whilst also creating a squad for next season that is competitive.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 10:33

Hound interesting.

Barrow is a tough one to judge. He can definitely add something - he is no Aluko. And he is great mates with Meite so that might help matters as Meite looks to be hanging around

I didnt ever think he had a particularly bad attitude on the pitch, but clearly a bit of a loose cannon off it. Be a useful sub if nothing else

The attitude on pitch I am referring to is in a few games he lashed out at teammates, he sulked often enough and came across quite petulant at times. Of course that could just be me misinterpreting his body language.

The problem is: can we afford a sub on his pay, if he is on an above average wage.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 10:38

andrew1957

It would all depend on the reason we let Barrow go last summer. If we let him go just because of finances alone and the fact we offloaded his salary for a year then I would love to see him back. If however as at times has been suggested he was a bad influence then I very much doubt he will play for Reading again. I have no knowledge either way on that subject but at his best he was excellent for us so personally I hope we can keep him.

As for playing the young players such as Osho and McIntyre it is a difficult choice for RFC. On the one hand Osho, Richards and McIntyre are the future as Bowen says but on the other if we want to sell the likes of Moore and Swift we need them to be in the shop window these next few games. I can see Bowen being told by the powers that be to undertake quite a lot of squad rotation under the guise of keeping things fresh. For that reason it would not surprise me if Moore is back in the team tonight. I just hope fans don’t get on Bowen’s back if that happens as I doubt it will be his choice. To be fair the club has a very difficult job ahead of balancing the finances whilst also creating a squad for next season that is competitive.

Do you think that teams who might buy any of our players don’t know all about them already ? Whether they play or not in the next couple of knock about pseudo games won’t suddenly alert anyone to their ability. Every game is available online so clubs can easily watch past performances etc, especially as scouts and managers can’t rock up on spying missions at the moment.
If the players themselves want to go their agents will be working the phones to alert otherclubs

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2020 10:54

NewCorkSeth
Hound interesting.

The attitude on pitch I am referring to is in a few games he lashed out at teammates, he sulked often enough and came across quite petulant at times. Of course that could just be me misinterpreting his body language.

The problem is: can we afford a sub on his pay, if he is on an above average wage.

ideally we'd sell and get some money in and the wages off the book. Wouldn't be too upset to see him stay though

On a different track, JLow reckons that we are trying to get Osho to sign a years extension

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jul 2020 11:10

Nameless
andrew1957

Do you think that teams who might buy any of our players don’t know all about them already ? Whether they play or not in the next couple of knock about pseudo games won’t suddenly alert anyone to their ability. Every game is available online so clubs can easily watch past performances etc, especially as scouts and managers can’t rock up on spying missions at the moment.
If the players themselves want to go their agents will be working the phones to alert other clubs

Football is fickle and I think you underestimate the issue of "current form". If for example Moore plays out of his skin for the last 5 games his price and his salary potential go right up which is in both his and the club's interests. I am sure that he will only want to go to a PL side or perhaps a good side abroad and what are the chances of a PL/top side buying a player who cannot even get into a Championship one?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 11:21

andrew1957
Nameless
andrew1957

If the players themselves want to go their agents will be working the phones to alert other clubs

Football is fickle and I think you underestimate the issue of "current form". If for example Moore plays out of his skin for the last 5 games his price and his salary potential go right up which is in both his and the club's interests. I am sure that he will only want to go to a PL side or perhaps a good side abroad and what are the chances of a PL/top side buying a player who cannot even get into a Championship one?

Well they will have seen he got replaced by a 21 year old rookie in the last game....
And if he is picked and has a bad game surely that will reduce interest / bids.
Do teams really buy players on ‘current form’ (ok, Blackman, Akpan...). Surely they are a bit more clued up with access to huge amounts of data. If anything clubs look at buying players who they can improve.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 11:29

Tend to agree with Nameless here.

No one is going to choose not to sign Moore / Swift etc because they haven't played he last few meaningless games. And very few teams are going to be inspired to sign them off the back of them having good performances in those few of games.

I could maybe see the argument for strikers, if they were to score a few and make a headline or two... goals capture the attention afterall. But no one is going to be watching Moore or Swift etc in these last few games unless they were already thinking about signing them.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 11:35

Snowflake Royal Tend to agree with Nameless here.

No one is going to choose not to sign Moore / Swift etc because they haven't played he last few meaningless games. And very few teams are going to be inspired to sign them off the back of them having good performances in those few of games.

I could maybe see the argument for strikers, if they were to score a few and make a headline or two... goals capture the attention afterall. But no one is going to be watching Moore or Swift etc in these last few games unless they were already thinking about signing them.

Imagine there was a team interested, contact established, talk of £10 million offer and then 2 minutes into the game player does his ACL and is looking at an Obita length lay-off.

1016 posts