Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 12:41

I wonder if he'd work being moved more centrally. He's lost his pace but can still pick a pass.

Not ideal and I'd rather see a designated CM there but maybe if he's cheap and we're looking to think outside the box a little.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 12:52

From Despair To Where? I wonder if he'd work being moved more centrally. He's lost his pace but can still pick a pass.

Not ideal and I'd rather see a designated CM there but maybe if he's cheap and we're looking to think outside the box a little.

Could do potentially the DCM role, back up for lb and if needed on the wing. one thing we could do with in a smaller squad is players that can play multiple positions.
If I am honest I hope Osho stays, Obita on better terms for the club and also Adam in a player/coach role as I can imagine he would be invaluable for Holsgrove etc next season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jul 2020 13:35

Really need to sell Swift/Moore/anyone else quickly so the club has what little flexibility that provides for as long as possible in the transfer window.

The FL, I think, also rather urgently need to review FFP and advise clubs accordingly for this season as the mess everything is in for all clubs in all divisions is confusing and unknown enough without further problems created by FFP on top.
Last edited by Sutekh on 23 Jul 2020 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jul 2020 13:39

Sutekh Really need to sell Swift/Moore/anyone else quickly so the club has what little flexibility that provides for as long as possible in the transfer window.

The most important thing is getting the right fee.

If QPR are getting £20m for Eze then we should be able to get similar for Swift, particularly with Villa getting Grealish money.

Let’s not rush to sell Swift for £5m and lose out on most of his value. If we have to do our business in the later stages of the window then so be it. Worked for McDermott.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 14:32

SCIAG
Sutekh Really need to sell Swift/Moore/anyone else quickly so the club has what little flexibility that provides for as long as possible in the transfer window.

If QPR are getting £20m for Eze then we should be able to get similar for Swift, particularly with Villa getting Grealish money.

Let’s not rush to sell Swift for £5m and lose out on most of his value. If we have to do our business in the later stages of the window then so be it. Worked for McDermott.

20m for swift? :shock:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Jul 2020 17:22

SCIAG

Did you see Eze's finish last night? Swift isn't anywhere near his level.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Jul 2020 17:55

SCIAG

QPR won't get £20m for Eze

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jul 2020 18:06

Jinx
Zip If Swift goes and Ejaria doesn’t join then our creativity is going to be a big problem. I was suspicious when Ejaria wasn’t involved in the past few games.

What creativity? It's not like we make shedloads of chances with both of them plus Olise. Our biggest issue is lack of chances, despite all the stick Puscas gets he isn't missing many chances as they don't happen.

What little creativity we have comes from Swift/Ejaria/Olise. We don’t have any decent wingers.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jul 2020 18:06

Ascotexgunner
SCIAG

Did you see Eze's finish last night? Swift isn't anywhere near his level.

That finish was fabulous.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Jul 2020 20:07

Seems Bowen is looking to give Holsgrove, Holmes and McNulty a chance in pre season going by his comments. McNulty looked ok when we played him but he’s just really not good enough for this level.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Jul 2020 20:07

Mid Sussex Royal
SCIAG

QPR won't get £20m for Eze

Wouldn't rule it out, one of the best players in the league.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Jul 2020 22:01

I am wondering if the reason we cannot go ahead with Ejaria is to do with the proposed £18 Million Championship salary cap if it is introduced to replace the current FFP arrangements. Even with all the departures we are likely to struggle to keep within 18M even if we don't sign any players at all this summer.

Unless the high earners like of Swift, Baldock, Aluko and Moore move on we would have very little scope if we have to keep within 18M until next summer when further high earners such as Aluko and Baldock are out of contract.

I am not sure if the 18M would also include the Academy players too. I assume not as otherwise it would make having an Academy very unattractive as that would further limit what you could spend on a first team squad.

I also wonder how an 18M salary limit could be applied to clubs relegated from the PL who might well have say a 70M salary bill and players under contract. They simply could not reduce their salary bill from 70M to 18M in one summer.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jul 2020 22:51

andrew1957 I am wondering if the reason we cannot go ahead with Ejaria is to do with the proposed £18 Million Championship salary cap

Looking at his contribution through out the whole of last season perhaps the money would be better spent elsewhere. There's going to be considerable trimming of squads in the next few weeks. Some more honest hardworking energetic players might be a better fit for next season. Not a player that the team can be built around.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Jul 2020 22:54

SouthDownsRoyal
SCIAG

Yea people laughed at Bowen being more valuable than Swift, despite scoring a lot more goals and doing it over several seasons.

I like Swift but let’s not kid ourselves here...£8m value pre-corona, £5m now. I agree £3.5m is too low though

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Jul 2020 22:55

SouthDownsRoyal
SCIAG

Yea people laughed at Bowen being more valuable than Swift, despite scoring a lot more goals and doing it over several seasons.

I like Swift but let’s not kid ourselves here...£8m value pre-corona, £5m now. I agree £3.5m is too low though

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jul 2020 23:42

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
SCIAG The most important thing is getting the right fee.

Bowen is more comparable to Meite, assuming you mean Jarrod.

Swift is the best creative midfielder in the league and also has a great goal scoring record. He has multiple Premier League clubs after him and there is much more money in the game than there was ten years ago when we were getting £5m for any player we decided to sell. Maybe Eze won’t actually go for £20m, but if we get less than eight figures we have been mugged.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 09:25

Lower West
andrew1957 I am wondering if the reason we cannot go ahead with Ejaria is to do with the proposed £18 Million Championship salary cap

Looking at his contribution through out the whole of last season perhaps the money would be better spent elsewhere. There's going to be considerable trimming of squads in the next few weeks. Some more honest hardworking energetic players might be a better fit for next season. Not a player that the team can be built around.

We are at the the end of the day a selling club and the deal for Ejaria represents great value. Its worth the short term loss.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 09:26

Notts Royal
SouthDownsRoyal
SCIAG The most important thing is getting the right fee.

I'd still say he's worth about 8 million. That's a very fair price for a player of his quality.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2020 10:36

Swift's value is only defined by what someone whats to pay allied to whether he wants to be here and how much we need the money.

Given that 3.5m to 5m may well be about right.

He has 2 years left, so we would potentially struggle to get even than next summer, so this may be the best offer we get (if we've actually had one).

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 11:02

SCIAG Swift is the best creative midfielder in the league

Thanks, I now have a tea splattered keyboard.

1016 posts