Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Westwood52 » 24 Jul 2020 18:06

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Josh Laurent is on his way in according to the omnipotent J-Low.

Money for his wages eh?

Which are probably about 5k a week. Peanuts in the modern climate.

Pfft. Doubt we fought off Stoke with 5k a week.

Anybody know if he is any good ?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 18:07

Westwood52
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews Which are probably about 5k a week. Peanuts in the modern climate.

Reading FC Twitter is fully erect so he's probably shite. But he has had plenty of rave reviews from Shrewbury Town fans.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2020 18:16

NewCorkSeth
Westwood52
NewCorkSeth Pfft. Doubt we fought off Stoke with 5k a week.

Reading FC Twitter is fully erect so he's probably shite. But he has had plenty of rave reviews from Shrewbury Town fans.

On paper he is the right sort. Young, fit and will want to prove himself on a bigger stage.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 18:17

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Westwood52

On paper he is the right sort. Young, fit and will want to prove himself on a bigger stage.

Same age as Baker no?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 18:32

I wonder if Bowen's preferred style is closer to McDermott and Coppell from his interviews. Lots of focus on youth and energy, as opposed to technical ability. From what I've seen of Laurent, he fits in with this.

This year's squad was not the best suited for Bowen if so, based around Swift and Ejaria. I definitely want to see what Bowen can do when he puts his stamp on a team.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 18:36

WestYorksRoyal I wonder if Bowen's preferred style is closer to McDermott and Coppell from his interviews. Lots of focus on youth and energy, as opposed to technical ability. From what I've seen of Laurent, he fits in with this.

This year's squad was not the best suited for Bowen if so, based around Swift and Ejaria. I definitely want to see what Bowen can do when he puts his stamp on a team.

Yeah but his scant use of Rinomhota flies in the face of that.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 18:46

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal I wonder if Bowen's preferred style is closer to McDermott and Coppell from his interviews. Lots of focus on youth and energy, as opposed to technical ability. From what I've seen of Laurent, he fits in with this.

Yeah but his scant use of Rinomhota flies in the face of that.

Does it though? If you're playing Swift and Ejaria in a midfield 3, you need a disciplined DM behind them, which negates Rinomhota's energy and strengths if you ask him to do that role.

We also had no wingers to attack with, so we had to include them for creativity. Rinomhota over them would have left us a little more blunt (not that they were carving up defences). Ultimately, we didn't have the squad to play a game that suited Rinomhota

For this theory to fit, you'd expect we'll be recruiting some wingers in the summer. And Puscas will need to learn to work the channels and close down.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2020 19:25

Fake journalist Courtney Friday claims we are back on for Ejaria. No idea how he'd know this or who his source is. Completely made up.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Jul 2020 19:37

Old Man Andrews Fake journalist Courtney Friday claims we are back on for Ejaria. No idea how he'd know this or who his source is. Completely made up.

Well he might be right, Ejaria becomes a free agent tomorrow if we don't honour the option to buy

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 19:39

Mid Sussex Royal
Old Man Andrews Fake journalist Courtney Friday claims we are back on for Ejaria. No idea how he'd know this or who his source is. Completely made up.

Well he might be right, Ejaria becomes a free agent tomorrow if we don't honour the option to buy

Really? Ffs well yeah why the hell are going to shed out millions on a player we could get for free. Everything that’s wrong about this club is summed up in that post. Jesus.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 20:11

WoodleyRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

Really? Ffs well yeah why the hell are going to shed out millions on a player we could get for free. Everything that’s wrong about this club is summed up in that post. Jesus.

Ah

Does that mean we could (maybe, just maybe) have said we won't bother but we'll sign you the day after and bung you a mill?

Surely the contract was properly-written?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 20:16

If we're going back on our word with Liverpool only to sign him on a free, I assume they will never loan/sell us anybody again and could have grounds to take us to court. I assume we're making a late attempt to get him to agree to a lower wage, which isn't as silly as it sounds in the current environment.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 24 Jul 2020 20:18

Snowball
WoodleyRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

Ah

Does that mean we could (maybe, just maybe) have said we won't bother but we'll sign you the day after and bung you a mill?

Surely the contract was properly-written?

Similar scenes going on at Leeds with Jean-Kévin Augustin. Where by they were supposed to have an agreement to pay the parent club 15 million if they got promoted. However he was shit and only played 44 minutes for them. So they didn’t renew his loan on the 30th June and sent him back before they were promoted. Now they are refusing to pay the 15 mill as they say they were not promoted during the loan spell. Expect that to rumble on. Just hope this Ejaria loop hole doesn’t come back to bite us too.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 20:33

WestYorksRoyal If we're going back on our word with Liverpool only to sign him on a free, I assume they will never loan/sell us anybody again and could have grounds to take us to court. I assume we're making a late attempt to get him to agree to a lower wage, which isn't as silly as it sounds in the current environment.

I would hate us to be dishonourable. Maybe your second thought might apply.

Could still get messy. He could genuinely be holding out for the agreed weekly,
we stall, he doesn't sign, then comes back and says, now you've saved 3 million...

That is, EJARIA could drive this.

But, why were the two contracts not water-tight?

OTOH we might be saying to Liverpool that if we pay £3M we'' be docked 15 points and probs relegated,
can we change the shape of the deal and make it incentive based instead of a lump sum (if it was a lump sum)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jul 2020 20:42

Snowball OTOH we might be saying to Liverpool that if we pay £3M we'' be docked 15 points and probs relegated, can we change the shape of the deal and make it incentive based instead of a lump sum (if it was a lump sum)

The fee is not the problem for FFP as that is amortised over the length of the contract. The problem is the wages.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 24 Jul 2020 21:19

Ejaria signed a 'long term' contract at Liverpool in 2018, I'd be surprised if that was only 2 years.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2020 21:25

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Josh Laurent is on his way in according to the omnipotent J-Low.

Money for his wages eh?

Which are probably about 5k a week. Peanuts in the modern climate.

And it enables Swift to be flogged off for hopefully a massive amount of wonga (well there could be 3 PL teams bidding anyway so hopefully it’ll eventually be more than the rumoured £3.5m)

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 24 Jul 2020 21:28

NewCorkSeth
Westwood52
NewCorkSeth Pfft. Doubt we fought off Stoke with 5k a week.

They raved about Dave Edwards to be fair

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Jul 2020 21:47

blueroyals
NewCorkSeth
Westwood52

They raved about Dave Edwards to be fair

Like Charlie Adams past his sell by date by the time he arrived at Reading. Nor like many of our purchases over recent years he didn't he fill a hole in the team. Wasn't the type of player I was expecting.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Jul 2020 21:50

WestYorksRoyal If we're going back on our word with Liverpool only to sign him on a free, I assume they will never loan/sell us anybody again and could have grounds to take us to court. I assume we're making a late attempt to get him to agree to a lower wage, which isn't as silly as it sounds in the current environment.

Reading presumably only had an option to purchase. Player values are going to drop like a stone.

1016 posts