Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Aug 2020 14:16

SouthDownsRoyal I read Baldock absent from training but not clear if it’s injury related.

What are people’s thoughts on Marc McNulty? Worth giving him a go this season?

Was reported yesterday Baldock got a knock in training on Saturday and is out as a precaution cant see him going anywhere anyway. why go somewhere else when you can earn 2 years worth of money in 1 year with us.
and Mcnulty who knows it is very unlikely as it stands that he will be any more than back up

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Aug 2020 14:18

SouthDownsRoyal I read Baldock absent from training but not clear if it’s injury related.

Yeah I think so, could work well with Joao as part of 2 upfront and back-up to Puscas. Think its pointless if he is played upfront on his own though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2020 14:20

McNulty will never make it as a Championship striker based on what I have seen of him,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2020 15:39

Can't see McNulty being any more than 4th or 5th choice. May hang around and be useful for the cups etc I suppose

Baldock will hang around. useful enough not to be binned into the reserves like Aluko, but being paid too much to agitate a move.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 20 Aug 2020 15:52

Played in the right system McNulty could be a good player for us and save us some money. The guy is a good finisher but cannot play the lone striker role (just like Puscas) so we have to change the system. 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 would work best with the current squad.

I would lean towards 4-4-2 but we would need to buy some wingers for this to work. Forget all this fancy playing around in the middle of the pitch, put Rinhomota and Laurent in the middle and let them hussle and win the ball and get it straight out to the speedy wingers and get quick balls into the box for two poachers to do what they do best.
Watch the highlights reel from our 106 season, the football was fast, simple and effective, and it worked and was great to watch.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Aug 2020 16:04

Crowbar6753

Played in the right system McNulty could be a good player for us and save us some money. The guy is a good finisher but cannot play the lone striker role (just like Puscas) so we have to change the system. 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 would work best with the current squad.

I would lean towards 4-4-2 but we would need to buy some wingers for this to work. Forget all this fancy playing around in the middle of the pitch, put Rinhomota and Laurent in the middle and let them hussle and win the ball and get it straight out to the speedy wingers and get quick balls into the box for two poachers to do what they do best.
Watch the highlights reel from our 106 season, the football was fast, simple and effective, and it worked and was great to watch.

To be fair, wasn’t too dissimilar to the 11/12 style, two grafters in midfield, good strike combo and two direct wingers

That squad wasn’t close to Southampton’s and West Ham’s in terms of actual ability but we were so effective unlike our recent seasons

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Aug 2020 16:06

Old Man Andrews McNulty will never make it as a Championship striker based on what I have seen of him,

He wasn’t played much though was he? I remember him starting to get a little run in the side, with a couple of sub appearances, then he got a start and scored against Stoke before effectively vanishing off the face of the earth

Wouldn’t expect him to be first choice here but wouldn’t begrudge him a good run this season

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 20 Aug 2020 18:41

Hound Can't see McNulty being any more than 4th or 5th choice. May hang around and be useful for the cups etc I suppose

Baldock will hang around. useful enough not to be binned into the reserves like Aluko, but being paid too much to agitate a move.

We can probably assume that João and Baldock will miss huge chunks of the season with injuries. If we go 2 upfront, McNulty will get a lot of minutes off the bench and a few starts I imagine.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Aug 2020 19:16

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews McNulty will never make it as a Championship striker based on what I have seen of him,

He wasn’t played much though was he? I remember him starting to get a little run in the side, with a couple of sub appearances, then he got a start and scored against Stoke before effectively vanishing off the face of the earth

Wouldn’t expect him to be first choice here but wouldn’t begrudge him a good run this season

He was superb at WBA when we totally bosses the 1st Half there, missed a good chance that he worked for himself and nearly teed up Swift for one. Confidence seemed to disappear after that. Could be a good player at our level but needs an early goal for confidence. Would be tempted to start him against Colchester and see how he goes.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 19:40

Stranded
URZZZZ

He was superb at WBA when we totally bosses the 1st Half there, missed a good chance that he worked for himself and nearly teed up Swift for one. Confidence seemed to disappear after that. Could be a good player at our level but needs an early goal for confidence. Would be tempted to start him against Colchester and see how he goes.

Agree with that

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Aug 2020 20:23

Joao & 1 of Puscas/Baldock/McNulty would work well in a 3-5-2. That formation would suit our squad, especially Yiadom & Richards better than a 4-4-2 where we’d have to sign some wingers. Only fallout would be Meite from that

But we don’t need all 3 of Puscas/Baldock/McNulty...might as well sell 1 of them. If decent money was offered for Puscas I’d cash in

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Aug 2020 21:23

Notts Royal Joao & 1 of Puscas/Baldock/McNulty would work well in a 3-5-2. That formation would suit our squad, especially Yiadom & Richards better than a 4-4-2 where we’d have to sign some wingers. Only fallout would be Meite from that

But we don’t need all 3 of Puscas/Baldock/McNulty...might as well sell 1 of them. If decent money was offered for Puscas I’d cash in

You’ve chucked away almost all our goals from last season !

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 20 Aug 2020 21:31

Anybody heard anymore about whether we are still interested in Jackson Irvine I was kind of hopeful on that one. I spose if we keep Swift we do not need him.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 22:26

linkenholtroyal Anybody heard anymore about whether we are still interested in Jackson Irvine I was kind of hopeful on that one. I spose if we keep Swift we do not need him.

Not heard anything

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2020 22:29

SouthDownsRoyal
Stranded
URZZZZ

Agree with that

And me. Looked that sort of lower league player with a lot to learn but the attributes to make it happen when I saw him.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Aug 2020 22:34

Notts Royal Joao & 1 of Puscas/Baldock/McNulty would work well in a 3-5-2. That formation would suit our squad, especially Yiadom & Richards better than a 4-4-2 where we’d have to sign some wingers. Only fallout would be Meite from that

We only have three centre backs.

Other than that, if you played Meite down the middle then this could work.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2020 06:52

SCIAG

We’ve got 4 centre backs.
Tom Holmes has actually started the same number of first games as Tom McIntyre....

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Aug 2020 08:00

Nameless
SCIAG

Tom Holmes has actually started the same number of first games as Tom McIntyre....

He is unproven at Championship level though and I would have liked for him to have got more than 11 appearances on loan. I still feel a free transfer older centre back could be useful. Your Martin Keown or John O’Shea style signing. He may only play a few games but can help bring on Holmes and is there for experience. If Moore and Morrison got injured it leaves us very exposed in regards to experience. Would love me to be proven wrong though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2020 08:16

linkenholtroyal
Nameless
SCIAG We only have three centre backs.

He is unproven at Championship level though and I would have liked for him to have got more than 11 appearances on loan. I still feel a free transfer older centre back could be useful. Your Martin Keown or John O’Shea style signing. He may only play a few games but can help bring on Holmes and is there for experience. If Moore and Morrison got injured it leaves us very exposed in regards to experience. Would love me to be proven wrong though.

Agree possibly another would be useful but not an old, expensive player. We have John O’Shea, there is no reason to look for another ! I’d be looking for someone who could also cover full back.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Aug 2020 08:28

Millwall at home for the first game of the season. You heard it here first.

1016 posts