Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by South Coast Royal » 21 Aug 2020 11:20

Not necessarily the club's view but on here it feels as though fans (we are often over-optimistic about how new signings and youngsters will do) consider that Laurent comes straight into our midfield and that Olise and McIntyre step up from what they have shown already.

All of us hope these things will happen and that Richards will also build on earlier promise and claim the left-back spot for his own without Blackett and Obita being around.

Presumably the club is frantically sorting out comings and goings with the new season starting in just 3 weeks' time.
Fans feel that new signings need to bed in well before a season starts but in the professional game that doesn't seem to be the case particularly as a few matches at the start don't count much in the context of a 46 game season.

Having said that, everybody wants a good start rather than playing catch-up so let's hope that we see more in-comings over the days ahead of our trip to Rooney County.,

Sorry Linkenholt I haven't heard any more about Jackson Irvine.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2020 11:52

Perhaps not quite 'The Squad' but might have some influence on it:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/scott-marshall-departs-for-pastures-new/

Cost cutting?
Face/approach no longer fits?

Doesn't sound like he has left to walk straight into another role, so I suspect he may not have seen it coming.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Aug 2020 11:57

Old Man Andrews Millwall at home for the first game of the season. You heard it here first.

They didn’t listen to you!

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 21 Aug 2020 12:10

RoyalBlue Perhaps not quite 'The Squad' but might have some influence on it:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/scott-marshall-departs-for-pastures-new/

Cost cutting?
Face/approach no longer fits?

Doesn't sound like he has left to walk straight into another role, so I suspect he may not have seen it coming.

Bowen probably giving the job to his son

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 21 Aug 2020 12:53

Would be great if they got Murty as his replacement. Done a great job with Rangers U20’s in that tinpot league. They’re a far bigger club, but PL2 would be a step up, right?

That said, it will likely be Gilkes though.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Aug 2020 12:58

royalp-we Would be great if they got Murty as his replacement. Done a great job with Rangers U20’s in that tinpot league. They’re a far bigger club, but PL2 would be a step up, right?

Murts has been involved at a couple of other Academies as well, would be nice from a sentimental persp3ctive to have him andGilkes at the club but he also needs to be the best man for the job....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Aug 2020 13:47

royalp-we Would be great if they got Murty as his replacement. Done a great job with Rangers U20’s in that tinpot league. They’re a far bigger club, but PL2 would be a step up, right?

Gilksey is the manager of the Academy which includes the u23s so presumably Scott Marshall would have “reported” to him? In which case I would expect a new coach/manager to be hired/promoted into the role.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Aug 2020 14:05

Sutekh

Gilksey is the manager of the Academy which includes the u23s so presumably Scott Marshall would have “reported” to him? In which case I would expect a new coach/manager to be hired/promoted into the role.

According to something JLow wrote, for the time being Mehmet Ali and Michael Gilkes are taking the U23s.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 21 Aug 2020 17:08

South Coast Royal Not necessarily the club's view but on here it feels as though fans (we are often over-optimistic about how new signings and youngsters will do) consider that Laurent comes straight into our midfield and that Olise and McIntyre step up from what they have shown already.

All of us hope these things will happen and that Richards will also build on earlier promise and claim the left-back spot for his own without Blackett and Obita being around.

Presumably the club is frantically sorting out comings and goings with the new season starting in just 3 weeks' time.
Fans feel that new signings need to bed in well before a season starts but in the professional game that doesn't seem to be the case particularly as a few matches at the start don't count much in the context of a 46 game season.

Having said that, everybody wants a good start rather than playing catch-up so let's hope that we see more in-comings over the days ahead of our trip to Rooney County.,

Sorry Linkenholt I haven't heard any more about Jackson Irvine.

Yes, Richards is good enough to start...could be wrong but I believe he played more games than the other 2 last season. Going on the games I saw, I’d say he improved considerably on the previous season and think he’s maybe slightly underrated by our fans.

Olise is good enough to start, probably not play every game though. I’d like to see us sell Swift, reinvest that money into Ovie, and use Ovie & Olise for that AM role. Sometimes Olise on the left, other time’s in the middle. So we need to sign a left-sided player at least as a good option off the bench.

TMac again needs to be used correctly. I think we need to buy another CB to cover, and personally forgetting the finances I’d keep Moore

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Aug 2020 19:59

Richards 23 (5)
Obita 14 (7) - quite a few at LW
Blackett - 16 (4)

So yeah, Richards played more than the other two.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 22 Aug 2020 07:13

Moore being linked with Celtic in the Scottish press today.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2020 07:15

gazzer, loyal royal Moore being linked with Celtic in the Scottish press today.

Yep just seen that. 4.5m quoted but with room for negotiation. Basically a plan B if they don’t get Duffy (who’d surely be a lot more expensive)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2020 07:35

Hound

Yep just seen that. 4.5m quoted but with room for negotiation. Basically a plan B if they don’t get Duffy (who’d surely be a lot more expensive)

Would be happy with that even if just to get his wages off the books. Plenty of decent replacement CBs around who will be a lot cheaper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2020 07:38

+1

Owners will probably refuse and then buy a Turkish striker for £8m on £30k a week anyway though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2020 08:39

Stranded
Hound

Would be happy with that even if just to get his wages off the books. Plenty of decent replacement CBs around who will be a lot cheaper.

Would be delighted with it tbh as I suspect would Moore himself

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 22 Aug 2020 09:18

Hound
Stranded
Hound

Yup, a good deal for all involved I think (if it happens)!

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 22 Aug 2020 09:39

At what level do you think Celtic and Rangers are at ?It has been suggested Celtic are top six Prem. Don’t think so; probably lower Prem, but not relegation fodder.Rangers,I think would struggle in the Prem ;probably a yo yo club between Prem and Championship.However given they can both rely on 50000 plus attendances ;five or six seasons in the Prem and the increased TV money could well change all that.Doubt it would ever happen though; particularly if Nicola heads Scotland off to Brussels.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Aug 2020 09:40

SouthDownsRoyal
Hound
Stranded

Agreed, I like Moore and don’t think he deserves the abuse he gets on social media (I mean one person created an account just to tweet every day about him getting out of our club!), but I think it would be time to take the deal. Good move for all.

Would mean that we need to sign 2 centre backs though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Aug 2020 10:22

Snowflake Royal +1

Owners will probably refuse and then buy a Turkish striker for £8m on £30k a week anyway though.

Someone on Twitter who seems to be reasonably in the know, stated that Puscas' wages are actually a lot lower than people had been claiming. Also, IIRC initial fee for him was £2M with add ons.

My feeling is that the Dais are pretty financially astute.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Aug 2020 10:24

Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal
Hound

Agreed, I like Moore and don’t think he deserves the abuse he gets on social media (I mean one person created an account just to tweet every day about him getting out of our club!), but I think it would be time to take the deal. Good move for all.

Would mean that we need to sign 2 centre backs though.

I think we would sign one centre back. We have Holmes as a fourth choice cb. We have to work with a smaller squad going forward.

1016 posts