Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 01:35

We have too many players here who are used to losing.

I'm not really interested in continuing to watch decent players who've consistently underperformed in a struggling Reading side for years now.

I'd cash in on Moore if at all possible. He's been a mainstay in a shocking defence for years now. He's just gone backwards whilst here.

Mr Mediocre's contract is up thankfully. Also time for a clean break with McCleary.

I can maybe forgive Obita as he's spent so long out, but maybe we shouldn't be renewing him. Baldock if possible too. And then a bonus of newbie Puscas and maybe cash in on Ejaria.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 08:31

Would happily see the back of 75% of the current squad. They are essentially a bunch of losers, too used to losing and they seemingly go into games defeated. When was the last time we started the game in a really aggressive manner? Put a couple of big tackles in? We have gone back to being too nice and other teams see us as a soft touch. When Bowen first came in we were the opposite of this so what has happened?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jul 2020 08:36

Southwood
Richards
McIntyre
Morrison
Yiadom
Araruna
Rinomhota
Nevers
Olise
meite
Baldock

Make as much money as we can from selling the rest and use it to bring in a proper director of football, backroom staff and recruitment team to start building a proper squad again.
No more dealing with whichever agent buys Howe the biggest basket of muffins.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 08:41

Simon's Church Southwood
Richards
McIntyre
Morrison
Yiadom
Araruna
Rinomhota
Nevers
Olise
meite
Baldock

Make as much money as we can from selling the rest and use it to bring in a proper director of football, backroom staff and recruitment team to start building a proper squad again.
No more dealing with whichever agent buys Howe the biggest basket of muffins.

That team guarantees us relegation.

Why is Rafael going? He is one of the only players to come out of the season with any credit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 08:51

Obviously easier said then done to get rid of a few players. At this stage I'd be happy enough to see Moore go if it freed up a bit of money, Swift if we could get a decent amount for him, and all the out of contract players. Obvs just bin off Aluko any way we can. Walker if we can as well. Puscas if someone gives us a decent offer

So if we lost Walker, Swift, Moore, Obita, Aluko, McCleary, Popa, Mannone, Gunter, Pele, Miazga, Boye, Puscas, Osho, Loader, Timbe, Blackett, Adam

it would leave us with something like

Rafael
Yiadom
Richards
Morrison
McIntyre
Ejaria
Olise
Rinomhota
Baldock
Joao
Meite

Araruna, Southwood, Nevers, Dorsett, Holsgrove

which actually isnt far below what our first team is now with our wage bill probably near quartered. Which would give us a bit of flexibility in picking up a few cheaper hungrier players (obviously easier said then done)

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Jul 2020 09:20

Snowflake Royal and maybe cash in on Ejaria.

How can we cash in on a player we don't own? Yes, we have an option to buy but we haven't exercised that option yet.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 09:22

Wycombe Royal

How can we cash in on a player we don't own? Yes, we have an option to buy but we haven't exercised that option yet.

We have a commitment to buy, we have no choice in the matter. We can buy for £3m and sell on for £6m potentially.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 09:27

Wycombe Royal

All the reports were that the deal was already signed and concluded, not an option to buy, but bought to go through at the end of the season.

So given everything we've heard indicates he will be our player, once that happens we can sell him.

But if it is an option, then of course we can just not take it up and save ourselves £3m on a player who isn't significantly better than Olise who is free and plays the same roll.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 09:47

Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal

All the reports were that the deal was already signed and concluded, not an option to buy, but bought to go through at the end of the season.

So given everything we've heard indicates he will be our player, once that happens we can sell him.

But if it is an option, then of course we can just not take it up and save ourselves £3m on a player who isn't significantly better than Olise who is free and plays the same roll.

I see where you are coming from but I reckon we can sell him for more than that so should def sign him (even if there is a back out option) purely based on future earnings.

He has some work to do but hasn't been helped being played as a winger. He's not a winger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 09:49

yeah, we were talking of £10m for Ejaria when he was on form. He is still very young and has all the tools. Lets not write him off on a couple of months average form

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Jul 2020 09:54

Could there be some decent frees and bargains available this summer due to covid chaos? A shrewd operation could probably do some great deals. Sadly recent history shows we are not a shrewd operator.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jul 2020 09:56

I look at Brentford with a bit of envy as it reminds me of the sort of team we used to be. Promotion to the Premier League in 2012 was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to us, gave AZ the ability to approve players on ridiculous wages and started the trend of spending way more than we could afford, far away from filling the black hole with a big player sale every season or two.

I think we need to keep players like Ejaria who, if they rediscover their form will be a player we sell on for £10m+ potentially, no more of these Puscas signings that are only great if they hit the ground running or just become an expensive mistake that it seems we are just beholden to play because we spent so much to sign them.

Hire staff who can actually identify and utilise our young players, it frustrates me that the likes of Fosu, Stacey and Antonio have, after a pretty short amount of time in lower leagues have already moved onto teams ahead of us in the League structure, now Rob Dickie has been doing very well at Oxford and has been linked to Championship moves it just feels like someone at the club is constantly dropping the ball, what is the point of investing so much in our academy if we don't properly identify when the players are ready?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 09:57

WestYorksRoyal Could there be some decent frees and bargains available this summer due to covid chaos? A shrewd operation could probably do some great deals. Sadly recent history shows we are not a shrewd operator.

Yes, Yes and Yes

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 09:58

tidus_mi2 I look at Brentford with a bit of envy as it reminds me of the sort of team we used to be. Promotion to the Premier League in 2012 was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to us, gave AZ the ability to approve players on ridiculous wages and started the trend of spending way more than we could afford, far away from filling the black hole with a big player sale every season or two.

I think we need to keep players like Ejaria who, if they rediscover their form will be a player we sell on for £10m+ potentially, no more of these Puscas signings that are only great if they hit the ground running or just become an expensive mistake that it seems we are just beholden to play because we spent so much to sign them.

Hire staff who can actually identify and utilise our young players, it frustrates me that the likes of Fosu, Stacey and Antonio have, after a pretty short amount of time in lower leagues have already moved onto teams ahead of us in the League structure, now Rob Dickie has been doing very well at Oxford and has been linked to Championship moves it just feels like someone at the club is constantly dropping the ball, what is the point of investing so much in our academy if we don't properly identify when the players are ready?

Puscas is actually the sort of player Brentford do go after. Young with sell on potential.

It was the likes of Aluko, Mannone and Popa that have absolutely rinsed us. No sell on, can't get rid.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 09:59

WestYorksRoyal Could there be some decent frees and bargains available this summer due to covid chaos? A shrewd operation could probably do some great deals. Sadly recent history shows we are not a shrewd operator.

There are great players out there available for relatively small amounts, yes. Look at the sort of business clubs like Brentford and Peterborough do, buy really good young talent and then shift them on for huge profit. Makes them relatively successful on the pitch and hugely successful in terms of finances off it. Our scouting network would appear to be shite at the moment and the owners seem more invested in buying whoever Kia tells them to buy rather than sending scouts out to the League 1 and 2 games to find actual talent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 10:01

Brentford have a different model and one that has really worked for them. No academy as such, hoover up lots of academy discards to play in their B team etc. Signings based on stats etc. Clearly a good overseas scouting network

I don't think its an easy one to simply replicate sadly

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 10:04

Hound
tidus_mi2 I look at Brentford with a bit of envy as it reminds me of the sort of team we used to be. Promotion to the Premier League in 2012 was the absolute worst thing that could have happened to us, gave AZ the ability to approve players on ridiculous wages and started the trend of spending way more than we could afford, far away from filling the black hole with a big player sale every season or two.

Puscas is actually the sort of player Brentford do go after. Young with sell on potential.

It was the likes of Aluko, Mannone and Popa that have absolutely rinsed us. No sell on, can't get rid.

Yeah. This is 100% correct.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jul 2020 10:06

Two things stand out for me that haven’t already been said:

1) I think Bowen at least views Araruna as a busted flush. Seems to be a consensus he isn’t what we need in a midfielder, and at right back he seems to have fallen behind Osho. Think he’ll be off to China or Belgium if not back to Brazil.

2) Olise, despite his talent, is not ready to be our main man. He can pick a really good pass but he hasn’t yet developed much of a cutting edge, and he still plays too many loose passes. More importantly, he hasn’t got the stamina to last even 60 minutes. None of those things are insurmountable and he seems a diligent young man eager to make the most of his talents, so maybe it will all click for him early next season, but for me it is too soon to build a team around him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 10:09

Anyone think we should go try get Angel Gomes to have another young, unproven creative midfielder to cram into the starting 11?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 10:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Wycombe Royal How can we cash in on a player we don't own? Yes, we have an option to buy but we haven't exercised that option yet.

I see where you are coming from but I reckon we can sell him for more than that so should def sign him (even if there is a back out option) purely based on future earnings.

He has some work to do but hasn't been helped being played as a winger. He's not a winger.

Lol earlier in the season we had people saying he was best wide left. And he's delivered exactly the same in the two games he played on the left as he did against Stoke since the restart.

He may be worth persisting with, but IMO that can only be judged by interacting with him.

Is someone in his ear telling him to cut out the flash bollocks, play quicker and deliver ball? And he's ignoring them?

Or is he getting bad advice to just go and enjoy himself and do his thing?

Because he could come good to be one of our best ever players. But he just doesn't seem to understand the right way to play. Football is about teamwork, tempo and understanding. He's got a good work rate, but you can just see none of his team mates know what he'll do. If they don't they can't judge movement or take up good positions. And his tempo allows the opposition to organise. Yeah he can beat two or three, but by the time he's gone to do it there are 6 /7 /8 players back and ready.

1016 posts