Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by royalp-we » 26 Jul 2020 13:28

Can’t really call Araruna ‘deadwood’. Unfortunately, like Boye and others, (ie Carrico), these players have risen through some of the best academies in world football and just haven’t been utilised correctly by Reading. They’ll all go on to do very well for themselves.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jul 2020 13:37

Snowflake Royal No idea why we'd want Masika, he's looked pretty useless.

Impossible to judge in 5 minute cameos playing in a country and division you have no experience of. He has pace and has shown flashes of skill but I ‘d like to see him play 90 minutes for the U23 side a few times to get a better idea of what he can do.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Jul 2020 13:43

royalp-we Can’t really call Araruna ‘deadwood’. Unfortunately, like Boye and others, (ie Carrico), these players have risen through some of the best academies in world football and just haven’t been utilised correctly by Reading. They’ll all go on to do very well for themselves.

What else would you call a third choice right back?

I thought he looked very good on home debut, but Bowen clearly prefers Osho at right back and Moore in midfield. Maybe he will come good but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Think Araruna is closer to the next Pelle Clement than the next Daniel Carrico.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Jul 2020 13:46

Nameless
Snowflake Royal No idea why we'd want Masika, he's looked pretty useless.

Impossible to judge in 5 minute cameos playing in a country and division you have no experience of. He has pace and has shown flashes of skill but I ‘d like to see him play 90 minutes for the U23 side a few times to get a better idea of what he can do.

Suspect he’d be far too good for the U23s, like Liburd or Barrett. If we were interested in having him permanently then he should have got some starts towards the end of the season, it’s not like we had many alternatives.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Jul 2020 13:58

SCIAG
royalp-we Can’t really call Araruna ‘deadwood’. Unfortunately, like Boye and others, (ie Carrico), these players have risen through some of the best academies in world football and just haven’t been utilised correctly by Reading. They’ll all go on to do very well for themselves.

I thought he looked very good on home debut, but Bowen clearly prefers Osho at right back and Moore in midfield. Maybe he will come good but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Well firstly he’s a CDM. 3 games is hardly enough to judge a player on. Time will tell, like you say he did look useful in the first game he played, which was in midfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2020 14:14

Masika might be worth a look if he’s cheap. Wouldn’t spend any real money or wages on him though

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 26 Jul 2020 14:27

Hound Masika might be worth a look if he’s cheap. Wouldn’t spend any real money or wages on him though

Why would he cost anything ? The Yongge’s own his registration anyway don’t they ? I’m wondering whether they might sell our most highly paid players to their Beijing club and then lend them back. Is that allowed ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jul 2020 14:31

royalp-we
SCIAG

Well firstly he’s a CDM. 3 games is hardly enough to judge a player on. Time will tell, like you say he did look useful in the first game he played, which was in midfield.

His first game was as sub RB. He was then anonymous in midfield and since we chose to play Moore there over him.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Jul 2020 15:12

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we
SCIAG What else would you call a third choice right back?

His first game was as sub RB. He was then anonymous in midfield and since we chose to play Moore there over him.

Sorry I was referring to 3 starts, yes on his first appearance he came on for Gunter First half against Hull. On his first start, we played West Brom, he did quite well in midfield against tough oppo.

Can’t really explain why Moore was chosen over him in that one fixture, or why he has been seemingly frozen out (a la Boye) I still wouldn’t refer to him as deadwood.

Agree with SCIAG that Walker, Aluko, potentially even Baldock are deadwood though.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Jul 2020 12:04

Sutekh Current first team squad then is

GK

Rafael
Walker

RB

Yiadom
Osho
Araruna

CB

Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

LB

Richards

Midfield

Rinomhota
Laurent (currently expected to sign on Tuesday)
Olise
Aluko (presumably someone the club will actively try and get out on loan if not sell)

FW

Baldock
Puscas
Joao
Meite
McNulty (preseason to prove to MB he can step up)

18 players there

Seems crazy that Baldock, Puscas and Joao are apparently 3 of our highest earners but we only start 1. Seems like if we cant sign 3 wingers this summer maybe we are best suited to 3-5-2? Bring in a LB, CB and CM, a handful of games for Holmes/Holsgrove/Nevers and it doesnt look like too bad a squad. Then get Baldock, Aluko and Walker off the wage bill at the end of the season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 27 Jul 2020 12:24

Simon's Church

GK

Rafael
Walker

RB

Yiadom
Osho
Araruna

CB

Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

LB

Richards

Midfield

Rinomhota
Olise
Aluko (presumably someone the club will actively try and get out on loan if not sell)

FW

Baldock
Puscas
Joao
Meite

18 players there

Seems crazy that Baldock, Puscas and Joao are apparently 3 of our highest earners but we only start 1. Seems like if we cant sign 3 wingers this summer maybe we are best suited to 3-5-2? Bring in a LB, CB and CM, a handful of games for Holmes/Holsgrove/Nevers and it doesnt look like too bad a squad. Then get Baldock, Aluko and Walker off the wage bill at the end of the season.

I reckon it's the sort of squad that if things go well it would be top half of the table but probably not good enough to push for 6th. But if things go badly (injuries, poor form, player-manager conflicts) will be pretty much in the same position as last season.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 Jul 2020 13:02

Simon's Church

GK

Rafael
Walker

RB

Yiadom
Osho
Araruna

CB

Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

LB

Richards

Midfield

Rinomhota
Olise

FW

Baldock
Puscas
Joao
Meite

18 players there

I agree kind of our biggest problem is width we have no one really who was trained to play wide and but crosses in left in the squad.

We have players who can fill in there but it not there most natural position.
It is finding inexpensive options who can do that. Sammy Ameobi or Josh Bowler or some wing backs is the other option.
Either that or pick 2 packet players out of the squad and depend the whole summer training them to play there. Move Richards up to wing if he can cross, retrain Holsgrove on the wing. I don’t know running out of ideas.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2020 14:05

Masika isn't coming back. He just tweeted his goodbyes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Jul 2020 14:07

linkenholtroyal
Simon's Church

GK

Rafael
Walker

RB

Yiadom
Osho
Araruna

CB

Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

LB

Richards

Midfield

Rinomhota
Olise

FW

Baldock
Puscas
Joao
Meite

18 players there

I agree kind of our biggest problem is width we have no one really who was trained to play wide and but crosses in left in the squad.

It is finding inexpensive options who can do that. Sammy Ameobi or Josh Bowler or some wing backs is the other option.
Either that or pick 2 packet players out of the squad and depend the whole summer training them to play there. Move Richards up to wing if he can cross, retrain Holsgrove on the wing. I don’t know running out of ideas.

oxf*rd the wide play, let's play it through the middle only. That'll work..

Attacking diamond is coming lads.
-------------------Rafael
Yiadom-Morrison-McIntyre-Richards
-------------------Moore
-------Rinomhota--Swift
--------------------Olise
----------------Joao--Puscas

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Jul 2020 14:13

What a bloody cry baby McCleary is.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 27 Jul 2020 14:19

Agree, harsh to call Araruna deadwood.

He's had one shocker tbf amongst only 3 chances to get used to championship football having arrived from Brazil, 2 in his lesser position!

Players coming from South America notoriously take a while to adapt. His signing was leftfield/agent appeasing, but at least give him a chance to adapt and prove himself.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Jul 2020 14:22

Old Man Andrews What a bloody cry baby McCleary is.

Why ?
If you are commenting on his remarks about leaving I think you are totally misrepresenting them....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Jul 2020 14:38

Nameless

Why ?
If you are commenting on his remarks about leaving I think you are totally misrepresenting them....

He was crying because he was told about it on holiday by phone, it's a fact.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 Jul 2020 15:37

linkenholtroyal
Simon's Church

GK

Rafael
Walker

RB

Yiadom
Osho
Araruna

CB

Moore
Morrison
McIntyre

LB

Richards

Midfield

Rinomhota
Olise

FW

Baldock
Puscas
Joao
Meite

18 players there

Either that or pick 2 contracted players out of the squad and spend the whole summer training them to play there. Move Richards up to wing if he can cross, retrain Holsgrove on the wing. I don’t know running out of ideas.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Jul 2020 16:06

Flesh this out a bit for us champ.

Never just seen it.

1016 posts