MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by end of season apathy

255 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by end of season apathy

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jun 2020 20:37

Bowen with more soundbites. Luton will wipe the floor with us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 20:40

Ascotexgunner
WestYorksRoyal I want to be measured and reasonable after getting beaten by a good team who are third in the league. But FFS, we didn't even make it hard for them. We didn't make them prove why they're up there.

I'm sick of supporting a team who are easy to play against. I'm sick of supporting a club defined by management turnover, erratic recruitment and instability. I'm fed up of soft goals, dire football and relegation battles. I'm fed up of false dawns. Let's be honest, it's all we've known for the past 6 years or so now.

Has Bowen done a decent job? Considering what a mess the club is, I'd say yes. But I really wouldn't be averse to having an enormous clearout of this squad and rebuild.

In the 00s, that draw against Brentford was pivotal for both clubs, and they probably looked on in envy at our success for several years. Well the roles are reversed now. I wish we could be run like Brentford. I wish we could scout and coach well and send our players on for millions. I wish we could consistently play exciting football at the right end of the table. They're an excellently run club; we're shit.

BUT......if your having a huge clear out and bring in a couple of players do you trust the man in charge (who may well have had a say on those players coming in and partially responsible for this squad.....OR.....Do you bring in a manager who has experience, a track record, and let him work out this mess and let him build.....or do we just carry on with the same old bullsh+t and let John o Shea be the next man in charge if it goes t*ts up next season... (nightmare scenario)

Obviously a massive clearout is not the solution to the problems described. There are no quick fixes. Maybe just trying to articulate why I understand knee jerk overreactions.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 30 Jun 2020 20:46

WestYorksRoyal I want to be measured and reasonable after getting beaten by a good team who are third in the league. But FFS, we didn't even make it hard for them. We didn't make them prove why they're up there.

I'm sick of supporting a team who are easy to play against. I'm sick of supporting a club defined by management turnover, erratic recruitment and instability. I'm fed up of soft goals, dire football and relegation battles. I'm fed up of false dawns. Let's be honest, it's all we've known for the past 6 years or so now.

Has Bowen done a decent job? Considering what a mess the club is, I'd say yes. But I really wouldn't be averse to having an enormous clearout of this squad and rebuild.

In the 00s, that draw against Brentford was pivotal for both clubs, and they probably looked on in envy at our success for several years. Well the roles are reversed now. I wish we could be run like Brentford. I wish we could scout and coach well and send our players on for millions. I wish we could consistently play exciting football at the right end of the table. They're an excellently run club; we're shit.

Excellent post. Perfectly encapsulates my feelings.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 30 Jun 2020 20:50

That was absolutely oxf*rd embarrassing. I didn't expect us to win, I hoped we would compete. We didn't. We completely capitulated. I don't usually get angry when we lose, but that performance has pushed all of my buttons.

I have never been a fan of Bowen, and I really do hope he is replaced at the earliest opportunity - hopefully by Hughton who should've been paid whatever was necessary to get him in the hot seat.

Sat here with my Brentford supporting wife, the only good news is that she'd threatened me with sleeping in the shed if we'd knocked them off track :lol:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 30 Jun 2020 20:51

The Royal We

Excellent post. Perfectly encapsulates my feelings.

Yep, sums up my thoughts exactly

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jun 2020 20:52

WestYorksRoyal
Ascotexgunner

BUT......if your having a huge clear out and bring in a couple of players do you trust the man in charge (who may well have had a say on those players coming in and partially responsible for this squad.....OR.....Do you bring in a manager who has experience, a track record, and let him work out this mess and let him build.....or do we just carry on with the same old bullsh+t and let John o Shea be the next man in charge if it goes t*ts up next season... (nightmare scenario)

Obviously a massive clearout is not the solution to the problems described. There are no quick fixes. Maybe just trying to articulate why I understand knee jerk overreactions.

You can understand fans anger though. This isn't just a knee jerk reaction though......this has been going on for what seems to feel like an eternity to some of us. Maybe it's not the players?...This looks like a good strong squad to me so where is it going wrong? For me promoting internally was a big mistake if we were trying to move forward, we needed fresh faces.....unfortunately we were desperate and Bowen has done well to drag us up. We can thank him for that.....but moving forward? I'll say it if no-one else will. I don't think Bowen is the man and we need to target a young up and coming manager this summer who has achievements to his name and needs to move UP.......Gareth Ainsworth ticks those boxes to me. If Wycombe come up though that's out the window. If we did replace the manager I can only assume we will make the same f+ck ups again.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Jun 2020 20:53

That was so bad even the cardboard cutouts are demanding a refund.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2020 21:15

Seriously get a grip we lost to a team, that for my money will be PL next year.

Of the 3 games post break, the only disappointing result really was Stoke. In the 3 before the break we picked up 6pts.

We have a run of games now against teams around us. Today realistically meant jackshit. We don't even really need to win any of these just avoid defeat in a couple at least. If we hit game 45 on 49pts I'll worry a little but til then, meh.

The only thing this mini-season is showing is that it has favoured those sides with nothing to lose I.e. Barnsley, Luton and Brentford at the top. Teams in mid-table have found it hard to refocus. These 2 defeats might actually help us.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jun 2020 21:20

That draw against Stoke is looking extra shitty considering their other games.

clauski

by clauski » 30 Jun 2020 21:28

Stranded Seriously get a grip we lost to a team, that for my money will be PL next year.

Of the 3 games post break, the only disappointing result really was Stoke. In the 3 before the break we picked up 6pts.

Call me old fashioned but I always find defeats disappointing. A sign of the times that we can consider a 3-0 loss at home to Brentford to be remotely acceptable. :(

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 21:34

Stranded Seriously get a grip we lost to a team, that for my money will be PL next year.

We have a run of games now against teams around us. Today realistically meant jackshit. We don't even really need to win any of these just avoid defeat in a couple at least. If we hit game 45 on 49pts I'll worry a little but til then, meh.

The only thing this mini-season is showing is that it has favoured those sides with nothing to lose I.e. Barnsley, Luton and Brentford at the top. Teams in mid-table have found it hard to refocus. These 2 defeats might actually help us.

I'm sorry but 3-0 at home isn't good enough. Did you see how sloppy and easy the opening goal was? No shame in losing to a team like Brentford, but at least make them work for it.

And it comes off the back of 2 games where we have shown a soft underbelly and gifted teams points. We need to move away from thinking runs like these are acceptable.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2020 21:41

WestYorksRoyal

I'm sorry but 3-0 at home isn't good enough. Did you see how sloppy and easy the opening goal was? No shame in losing to a team like Brentford, but at least make them work for it.

I did but this mini season is bizarre, we had no chance of going up and still only a very small one of going down. It is a perfect storm for a performance like that against a side who rightly are playing with no fear as they can attack a 9 game run and nick an auto spot.

If we perform as badly over the next few games so be it, we're in shit and I'll stick the boot in but we actually played ok in the first 2 games, today as I say was very poor but I can see how it happened so, I repeat my earlier meh.

My only real concern is we have a first team squad made up of prob 10 players who won't be there come August.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 21:46

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

My only real concern is we have a first team squad made up of prob 10 players who won't be there come August.

Why are you concerned about that?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Jun 2020 21:49

Ascotexgunner You can understand fans anger though. This isn't just a knee jerk reaction though......this has been going on for what seems to feel like an eternity to some of us. Maybe it's not the players?...This looks like a good strong squad to me so where is it going wrong? For me promoting internally was a big mistake if we were trying to move forward, we needed fresh faces.....unfortunately we were desperate and Bowen has done well to drag us up. We can thank him for that.....but moving forward? I'll say it if no-one else will. I don't think Bowen is the man and we need to target a young up and coming manager this summer who has achievements to his name and needs to move UP.......Gareth Ainsworth ticks those boxes to me. If Wycombe come up though that's out the window. If we did replace the manager I can only assume we will make the same f+ck ups again.

why would any decent manager come to a club that has such a piss poor scouting network and recruitment policy?

There is not one manager out there who could turn this shambles of a squad around.

We'd bring someone in, they'd get the players motivated a bit for a few months, and things would look better, then the old habits would creep back in, and we'd look crap again. Changing the manager is not always the answer. The problems are far deeper than that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2020 21:53

Bowen has often got a decent performance (or result at least) out of us after a crap one

Drawing at Cardiff after losing to Bristol at home
Beating Wednesday 3-0 after a poor display against WBA
Beating Barnsley comfortably after the horror show vs Wigan

Hopefully he can do it again on Saturday

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 30 Jun 2020 21:54

Jackson Corner That was so bad even the cardboard cutouts are demanding a refund.

Poty :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 21:57

tmesis
Ascotexgunner You can understand fans anger though. This isn't just a knee jerk reaction though......this has been going on for what seems to feel like an eternity to some of us. Maybe it's not the players?...This looks like a good strong squad to me so where is it going wrong? For me promoting internally was a big mistake if we were trying to move forward, we needed fresh faces.....unfortunately we were desperate and Bowen has done well to drag us up. We can thank him for that.....but moving forward? I'll say it if no-one else will. I don't think Bowen is the man and we need to target a young up and coming manager this summer who has achievements to his name and needs to move UP.......Gareth Ainsworth ticks those boxes to me. If Wycombe come up though that's out the window. If we did replace the manager I can only assume we will make the same f+ck ups again.

why would any decent manager come to a club that has such a piss poor scouting network and recruitment policy?

There is not one manager out there who could turn this shambles of a squad around.

We'd bring someone in, they'd get the players motivated a bit for a few months, and things would look better, then the old habits would creep back in, and we'd look crap again. Changing the manager is not always the answer. The problems are far deeper than that.

We're still an attractive proposition compared to Wycombe, especially if they stay down. West Ham in the PL are a shambles, but a manager at this level like Alex Neil would still see it as a step up.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Jun 2020 22:21

No non-desperate manager would touch us with a barge-pole.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 01:19

oxf*rd me, it's mission accomplished for Bowen right now and still our fans want him sacked for some nothing games in unprecedented times.

Totally agree with stranded.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 01 Jul 2020 07:20

Snowflake Royal oxf*rd me, it's mission accomplished for Bowen right now and still our fans want him sacked for some nothing games in unprecedented times.

Totally agree with stranded.

Agreed talk of getting rid of Bowen is utter nonsense and personally I put a lot of that blame on Radio Berks for bringing it up "Not my opinion but the tweets say...." and then spend 20 minutes talking about it. Grrrr.

On the other hand, that was utter utter dogshit last night. Stayed up til 3am watching it. More fool me.

255 posts