BFIFollow Brentford

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFIFollow Brentford

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2020 12:44

10539.4 Miles Away I don't get this recent switch of opinion on Ejaria so many seem to be having. He's brilliant, he pulls players out of the game, beats players and creates spaces because the opposition know his danger. Personally I'd be putting more responsibility on the other players to use those spaces that he creates better.

Next time he plays. Count the number of times he receives the ball, and either stops or slows the game down.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 12:52

Lower West
10539.4 Miles Away I don't get this recent switch of opinion on Ejaria so many seem to be having. He's brilliant, he pulls players out of the game, beats players and creates spaces because the opposition know his danger. Personally I'd be putting more responsibility on the other players to use those spaces that he creates better.

Next time he plays. Count the number of times he receives the ball, and either stops or slows the game down.

....and also the number of times he does something brilliant but fails with his final pass. He made a great start to the season but the goals and assists dried up a number of months ago. Without them he does become a bit of a luxury. He has the tools to be a terrific player for us but we do need him to start delivering.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 13:36

Zip
Lower West

....and also the number of times he does something brilliant but fails with his final pass. He made a great start to the season but the goals and assists dried up a number of months ago. Without them he does become a bit of a luxury. He has the tools to be a terrific player for us but we do need him to start delivering.

he is what, 21? Its no real surprise he isn't the finished article. He's still had a very positive season overall in a not especially good team, and I think we'd be mad not to sign him personally.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 13:38

Hound
Zip
Lower West

he is what, 21? Its no real surprise he isn't the finished article. He's still had a very positive season overall in a not especially good team, and I think we'd be mad not to sign him personally.

He’s worth taking the chance on because there is huge potential and as you say he is young. Certainly not wanting to write him off but a bit disappointed post Christmas.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 13:56

Zip
Lower West

He's also been a bit of a liability in our box a couple of times. Going up for challenges and completely fluffing it.

That one where Richards got criticised for not winning the ball a game or two ago was actually Ejaria jumping and fluffing it so Richards lost sight and it then bounced awkwardly at him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Jul 2020 16:47

Massive fan of Ejaria here.

But from what I've read the criticism is fair and level headed.

No-one is knocking him saying he's rubbish, just that he needs to brush up in some areas to become as good as we know he can be. He's still young of course and will mature nicely.

I put a lot of it down to having three men close him down instantly whenever he gets near a ball, but that's something either he has to work on, we need to capitalise on, or ideally both.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 18:49

2 world wars, 1 world cup Massive fan of Ejaria here.

No-one is knocking him saying he's rubbish, just that he needs to brush up in some areas to become as good as we know he can be. He's still young of course and will mature nicely.

I put a lot of it down to having three men close him down instantly whenever he gets near a ball, but that's something either he has to work on, we need to capitalise on, or ideally both.

Yep we need to capitalise on it. If there are three men on him there should be players free to exploit it but often they are static and he has few options.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Jul 2020 21:46

Only just now seen the highlights but how on earth did josh da silva for their 2nd goal run from the 18 yard box to 2 yards out past the statue defence and nobody did anything?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 23:42

Zip
2 world wars, 1 world cup Massive fan of Ejaria here.

Yep we need to capitalise on it. If there are three men on him there should be players free to exploit it but often they are static and he has few options.

If you take Brentford as an example, there was no space because we went forward so slowly they had 8/9 players around their box, so even with 3 on Ejaria that's 5 defending still. And he's frequently either static or dribbling inside and out to get through 2/3/4 players and therefore unable to pick a clear pass because it's eyes to the ball and feet and no real back lift possible.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jul 2020 15:00

Hound
Notts Royal
Lower West Ejaria slows the game down. Short passess, no shots, few crosses. Beginning to wonder what contribution he actually makes to the team.

He does fancy tricks which look great on YouTube, and had a good couple of months at the start of the season...so our fans love him. So what does he contribute? Reputation

Didnt he hit the post on Saturday, and basically create our best proper chance yesterday?

He isnt on great form but lets not rewrite what he can actually do

He's basically created the only opportunities we've had since Joao disappeared against Stoke despite being sidelined on the left wing.

He certainly has areas to work on but sweet jesus there would be a paucity of entertainment without him.

As for crosses , you need players in the penalty area for that. On a handful of times since the restart he's got in behind defences to find only Puscas as an option. If that were Brentford there would be 3 or 4 players busting a gut to get there. I just don't see that same desire with our lot .

Even defensively he made a couple of timely interventions in his own penalty area against Derby and Brentford . The sort of thing everyone rightly praises Meite for but never a mention of it in the assessment of Ejaria.

It's frustrating because we can all see the ability but sometimes we're letting that frustration blind us into thinking he's the problem here. We've got far bigger issues than Ovie Ejaria.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 15:12

Ever since Ejaria arrived on loan there have been no big doubts about his talent but there are doubts about wtf he actually is. Is he a winger? A box to box midfielder? An attacking midfielder? Nobody can work it out.

Suspect one day something will click either for him or for a manager and then he’ll be unplayable.

FWIW for my money our best chances lately have come from the full backs - Gunter in particular.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jul 2020 15:33

SCIAG Ever since Ejaria arrived on loan there have been no big doubts about his talent but there are doubts about wtf he actually is. Is he a winger? A box to box midfielder? An attacking midfielder? Nobody can work it out.

Suspect one day something will click either for him or for a manager and then he’ll be unplayable.

FWIW for my money our best chances lately have come from the full backs - Gunter in particular.

There's the rub though. Gunter's crossing was woeful last time out tbf but against Derby both he and Richards delivered what would be considered dangerous balls into the box. But how many of those actually led to a goalscoring opportunity? In another team they would have but this team doesn't fill the box.

Without Joao , if you cross from the left you might get Meite coming from the right to join Puscas or Baldock depending on who's up front but crossing from the right you don't even necessarily get Meite if he;'s been involved in the build up.

We don't have midfielders who want to get ahead of the ball and into the penalty box. Olise,Swift,Ejaria all want the ball into them. Even when Mcleary has come on, played like a winger and got to the byline and crossed it's led to pretty much nothing.

The player most capable of providing this is Rinomhota which is why it's always bemusing to me when people talk about him as playing as a defensive midfielder, even more so when Bowen plays him as one.

As you say, it's difficult to say what type of player Ejaria is. It's not helped by (nor does it help) the fact we have no idea about what type of team we are.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 03 Jul 2020 15:34

Lower West Ejaria slows the game down. Short passess, no shots, few crosses. Beginning to wonder what contribution he actually makes to the team.

Same here, Harper like.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 03 Jul 2020 15:51

Zip
Hound
Zip

He’s worth taking the chance on because there is huge potential and as you say he is young. Certainly not wanting to write him off but a bit disappointed post Christmas.

If he is 21 and that good he should be breaking through at this level. He does have some ball trickery, but so did Mr Woo, please get him off our books asap.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Jul 2020 17:45

karbota

Same here, Harper like.

Harper played with energy though and covered ground.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jul 2020 18:07

karbota

Same here, Harper like.

HOW DID WE GET ON WITH HARPER IN MIDFIELD?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 18:37

Vision
SCIAG Ever since Ejaria arrived on loan there have been no big doubts about his talent but there are doubts about wtf he actually is. Is he a winger? A box to box midfielder? An attacking midfielder? Nobody can work it out.

There's the rub though. Gunter's crossing was woeful last time out tbf but against Derby both he and Richards delivered what would be considered dangerous balls into the box. But how many of those actually led to a goalscoring opportunity? In another team they would have but this team doesn't fill the box.

Without Joao , if you cross from the left you might get Meite coming from the right to join Puscas or Baldock depending on who's up front but crossing from the right you don't even necessarily get Meite if he;'s been involved in the build up.

We don't have midfielders who want to get ahead of the ball and into the penalty box. Olise,Swift,Ejaria all want the ball into them. Even when Mcleary has come on, played like a winger and got to the byline and crossed it's led to pretty much nothing.

The player most capable of providing this is Rinomhota which is why it's always bemusing to me when people talk about him as playing as a defensive midfielder, even more so when Bowen plays him as one.

As you say, it's difficult to say what type of player Ejaria is. It's not helped by (nor does it help) the fact we have no idea about what type of team we are.

Ain't this the truth.

Rino and Olise have got involved a bit around the box. Olise's snap shot against... Stoke? His volley against Derby? Rino's goal against Derby and some driving runs.

Swift is never going to be trying to get in the box on the end of something and neither is Ejaria. Swift in particular seems to want to take a couple of touches and bend one in from 22 yards.

Meite's best getting a direct ball to bully an isolated full back on the break.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jul 2020 18:38

Lower West
karbota

Same here, Harper like.

Suggesting Harper slowed the game down? He's the guy that kept our tempo up. Moved the ball on quickly to full back and winger to get forward.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Jul 2020 18:44

Snowflake Royal
Lower West
karbota
Same here, Harper like.

Suggesting Harper slowed the game down? He's the guy that kept our tempo up. Moved the ball on quickly to full back and winger to get forward.

He had a spell a couple of years ago when he seemed to have regular hamstring problems but he seems over that. His overall availability over the past four years has been good.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Jul 2020 20:21

Snowball
karbota

Same here, Harper like.

HOW DID WE GET ON WITH HARPER IN MIDFIELD?

We got relegated :wink: