308 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a) sponsored by Sean Evers

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2020 22:09

When : Saturday 4th July, 3pm
Where : Kenilworth Road, 1 Maple Road, Luton, LU4 8AW
Capacity : 10,073

After Tuesday’s pathetic showing against Brentford, Reading will continue to look for the last couple of points they need to be really sure of safety rather than carry on drifting along thinking they'll probably be safe at the end of it all.

Problem is Luton are desperate for points to get out of the mess they dropped into through being, well, rather ungood. The first part of the plan was to restore Nathan Jones to the managerial hotseat and this was achieved only a month or so ago, the second part is the hard bit which is to collect points left right and centre. Consequently they are going to fight and so Reading are very unlikely to find a team wanting to have a quiet nap after accepting their fate. Therefore this game may not bode well for MB's erratically performing players though the lack of a partisan crowd in a horribly tight stadium will hopefully improve the chances of Reading collecting something in the point department.

Now before you get too carried away by the fact Luton are in the bottom three it should be pointed out they are actually performing very well and in better current form than Reading. In the last 9 league games Luton have won 4 (v Sheff Wed, Middlesbrough, Brentford and Swansea) and only lost once (at Charlton) collecting 16 points, while Reading have managed 3 wins and 5 defeats from their last 9 games and collected only 10 points.

Harry Cornick and James Collins are the Luton players that need to be locked down having scored 20 goals between them, however keep them quiet and Luton lose potency as Callum McManaman is next with only 4 goals. The other thorn they have is Kazenga Lua Lua whose wing play can pose awkward moments for any team not quite on the ball.

Luton have a few squad issues for the game, Eunan O'Kane misses out with a broken leg and Brendan Galloway is a doubt. On top of that goalkeeper Marek Stech, defenders Frankie Musonda, Donervon Daniels and Lloyd Jones, along with forward Jake Jervis all opted not to sign short term deals and were released at the end of June but as they played no more than a handful of games between them this season I would hazard a guess that they're not exactly going to be missed.

Reading will have no Miazga who serves the 2nd game of his three match ban and Joao will still be missing through injury, however Yiadom may well be available to partake of affairs if needed. There is also a rumour that MB will consider playing 2 strikers as he searches for some way to get Reading to look like a team that actually are capable of delivering a point winning performance.

Referee

Mr James Linington

Previously....

28 Jan 20 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
26 Dec 19 > Reading 1-0 Queens Park Rangers
03 Aug 19 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday
08 Dec 18 > Reading 0-2 Sheffield United
03 Nov 18 > Reading 3-2 Bristol City
06 Mar 18 > Reading 1-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 Jan 18 > Reading 0-2 Birmingham City
09 Sep 17 > Reading 0-1 Bristol City
08 Apr 17 > Norwich City 7-1 Reading
24 Sep 16 > Reading 1-0 Huddersfield Town
21 Nov 15 > Reading 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
02 May 15 > Derby County 0-3 Reading
28 Dec 14 > Reading 2-1 Norwich City
21 Nov 14 > Cardiff City 2-1 Reading
12 Aug 14 > Reading 3-1 Newport County (League Cup)
10 Sep 11 > Reading 0-2 Watford
30 Apr 11 > Coventry City 0-0 Reading
22 Jan 11 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
02 May 10 > Reading 4-0 Preston North End
30 Jan 10 > Reading 1-0 Barnsley

Historically

45 previous league games have been played down the years between the two teams so this is the 23rd season the clubs have shared and therefore the 23rd visit to Kenilworth Road

Luton's little ground is a fairly unwelcome place for Reading as the Royals have only won 6 of the 22 league games played while they have been beaten on 13 occasions. Reading have also conceded 6 on two occasions and 5 on another and kept only 3 clean sheets at Kenilworth Road.

The last win there was 2-1 in February 1996, since then Reading have played 4 league games and collected just 2 1-1 draws, however Reading have scored at least once on every league visit to Luton since season 1994/1995.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use the iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Luton Town (a) sponsored by Sean Evers

by URZZZZ » 30 Jun 2020 23:27

Would go with a 4-4-2 with actual wingers for this one

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
McIntyre
Blackett

McCleary
Rinomhota
Pele
Masika

Baldock
Puscas

Walker Moore Richards Adam Swift Olise Ejaria Meite Boye

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Jul 2020 00:11

URZZZZ Would go with a 4-4-2 with actual wingers for this one

Rafael

Gunter
Morrison
McIntyre
Blackett

McCleary
Rinomhota
Pele
Masika

Baldock
Puscas

Walker Moore Richards Adam Swift Olise Ejaria Meite Boye

Away at QPR those two forwards posed them loads of problems, just keep using that carthorse no brainer Meite now, we really need to change our approach.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2020 00:43

It’s is time to drop Yaks and one of Swift/Ejaria or Olise but to drop all three is a bit drastic. I’d bring GMac and Masika on in the second half for their pace against a tiring defence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 01:25

For those who want to jerk the knee

..........................Cabral
Araruna, Morrison, McIntyre, Richards
McCleary, Olise, Rinomhota, Obita
..................Meite, Baldock

For those who don't

.........................Cabral
Gunter, Morrison, Moore, Richards
..............Rinomhota, Swift
Meite.............Olise....................Obita
.....................Baldock

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 08:16

James Linington is nothing more than a prick.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 08:21

The team needs to change and change now, last nights effort was completely unacceptable.

Rafael

Morrison
Moore
McIntyre

McCleary
Pele
Rinhomota
Olise
Timbe

Puscas
Meite

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 09:05

I think there will definitely be some changes. Yesterday was unacceptable and we've such a large squad, I'd be amazed if we didnt shake it up

Hopefully Pele is back fit. Moore was taken apart yesterday but I'll expect he will stay on. I'd drop him personally. Expect we'll see something like

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Richards

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Meite/Baldock/Puscas

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 09:07

Hound I think there will definitely be some changes. Yesterday was unacceptable and we've such a large squad, I'd be amazed if we didnt shake it up

Hopefully Pele is back fit. Moore was taken apart yesterday but I'll expect he will stay on. I'd drop him personally. Expect we'll see something like

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Richards

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Meite/Baldock/Puscas

We will definitely win playing with 13 players. Why hasn't Bowen thought of this before?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2020 09:50

Old Man Andrews
Hound I think there will definitely be some changes. Yesterday was unacceptable and we've such a large squad, I'd be amazed if we didnt shake it up

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Richards

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Meite/Baldock/Puscas

We will definitely win playing with 13 players. Why hasn't Bowen thought of this before?

umm clearly by the '/' between the strikers that means one of. Or else I'd listed them out like all the other players

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 09:53

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Morrison
Richards

McCleary
Pele
Rino
Swift
Ejaria

Meite/Baldock/Puscas

umm clearly by the '/' between the strikers that means one of. Or else I'd listed them out like all the other players

Calm down chuckles. Just because there was no article in the paper this week you've gone all melancholy.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Jul 2020 10:10

I thought it was a bit strange last night that when it was very obvious we were going nowhere,that Bowen didn’t bring on Timbe as the Hail Mary option.Like Popa he must be really bad in training,and his times up at Reading.
It is possible we can stay up without winning another game,however it looks as if we will be in a serious slide if we fail to get anything out of Luton.Several players need a kick up the backside as ;a ) they did not keep fit during lockdown and b) their attitude stinks.At the moment our only plan b) is to pick players who won’t be here next season:Pele,Adam and Macca.Maybe try Aruna as the ball player in midfield ?My guess however is that Bowen will give two of Olise,Ejaria and Swift one last chance.Quite who plays up front without Jao,is beyond me however.Its all very grim,and the Chinese must be very unhappy given the money they have spent;that said appointing Bowen was always going to be a cut price option,as they saved money .Who exactly is the Director of Football now,I have forgotten.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 10:12

You know what? We have a clear first team. As awful as they played yesterday we should play them again. Does no good chopping it up drastically.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 10:30

NewCorkSeth You know what? We have a clear first team. As awful as they played yesterday we should play them again. Does no good chopping it up drastically.

A few of them need to be sent a message though, primarily Moore, Swift and Ejaria. They haven't put in a shift since the restart.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 10:32

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth You know what? We have a clear first team. As awful as they played yesterday we should play them again. Does no good chopping it up drastically.

A few of them need to be sent a message though, primarily Moore, Swift and Ejaria. They haven't put in a shift since the restart.

is now the time for a message? And if so why can't that message be: We need you to lead here. We need you to pull the rest of the team up.

Ejaria I could see being dropped for the next game. Play Obita instead. If Richards is fit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 10:36

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

is now the time for a message? And if so why can't that message be: We need you to lead here. We need you to pull the rest of the team up.

Ejaria I could see being dropped for the next game. Play Obita instead. If Richards is fit.

Yeah its time for the message I think, especially to Liam Moore. I also want to see McIntyre and Morrison play together as they will likely be our CB pairing next season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2020 10:37

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Yeah its time for the message I think, especially to Liam Moore. I also want to see McIntyre and Morrison play together as they will likely be our CB pairing next season.

I understand but would be cautious at potentially throwing away points to prove a point. Maybe McIntyre for Moore could work. But i think a big formation change or dropping our biggest creator would be a bit silly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Jul 2020 10:39

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth is now the time for a message? And if so why can't that message be: We need you to lead here. We need you to pull the rest of the team up.

I understand but would be cautious at potentially throwing away points to prove a point. Maybe McIntyre for Moore could work. But i think a big formation change or dropping our biggest creator would be a bit silly.

Would actually play 3 CB's against Luton, quite like us with wingbacks. Potentially bring Blackett back in to LWB and play Moore, Morrison and McIntyre together.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Jul 2020 16:17

Actually looking forward to this.No idea how we will perform ,and I bet Bowen doesn’t know either.We do have the better players;strikers apart.Yet we don’t seem to have the heart for it,or a clear idea of how to defend or score goals.The s**t will hit the fan big time if we are well beaten,and I cannot see where this team goes if that happens;short of a complete overhaul root and branch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jul 2020 20:29

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Tbf to Ejaria, sticking him in the left wing is plainly a waste imo (as it would be for Swift and Olise) but then we have a manager who it appears doesn’t really use proper wingers until things look desperate.

308 posts