Wigan in Administration

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Wigan in Administration

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2020 17:59

windermereROYAL
Nameless
Sanguine
I'd assume yes. That's how the penalty would normally be applied irrespective of league position (say, had they gone into administration in September). The punishment is the points deduction, not relegation - the deduction is just delayed if they are relegated without it.

You would assume wrong.

It’s no punishment if at this stage they lose the points and avoid relegation.

Doesn`t that defeat the object?, they could 20 points clear, go into administration and then no punishment. my take on it is if they avoid relegation they will start next season minus 12 points.

Exactly.
What defeats the object ?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Jul 2020 18:00

Jackson Corner I wouldn't laugh we could be next. Along with others sadly this Covid is going to hit football very hard.

Why would we be next ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jul 2020 18:00

Not that I have any love for Wigan, but it is never nice to see a fellow footy club and their fans suffer (except if it's Wet Sham). My thoughts are with Wigan and their fans.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 01 Jul 2020 18:54

Nameless
windermereROYAL
Nameless
You would assume wrong.

Doesn`t that defeat the object?, they could 20 points clear, go into administration and then no punishment. my take on it is if they avoid relegation they will start next season minus 12 points.

Exactly.
What defeats the object ?

According to the BBC website 12 points will be deducted this season, if they finish out of the bottom three. If they finish in the bottom three 12 points will be deducted next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jul 2020 19:06

The 12 comes off this season. So the only way they finish above us is by getting 11 more points than us from the last 18.

Unless we enter admin too of course.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jul 2020 19:26

Seems no one has a clue why the club owners have decided to put Wigan into administration especially as the club was sold to a Hong Kong consortium only 4 weeks ago!

And to confirm, the rules are that at the end of the season Wigan will be deducted 12 points unless they finish in the bottom 3 (which is highly unlikely). Therefore they now have to finish 12 points or more ahead of 22nd place (if exactly 12 points ahead they will have need a better goal difference than the team that’s 22nd) to avoid the drop.

They are currently 8 points ahead of 22nd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 19:28

Nameless
Sanguine
windermereROYAL Will they still be deducted the 12 points if they finish more than 12 points clear of the drop zone?

I'd assume yes. That's how the penalty would normally be applied irrespective of league position (say, had they gone into administration in September). The punishment is the points deduction, not relegation - the deduction is just delayed if they are relegated without it.

You would assume wrong.

So what? You never receive your penalty as long as you're not in the Play Offs and the points deduction can't put you into the relegation zone?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Jul 2020 19:35

They`ve not conceded a goal in seven games and top of the form table so can see them getting out of this.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jul 2020 19:56

windermereROYAL They`ve not conceded a goal in seven games and top of the form table so can see them getting out of this.

...which is possibly why they've done it. Stay up, and wipe out a lot of debt in one move. It's a gamble, but possibly one worth taking.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 01 Jul 2020 20:03

tmesis
windermereROYAL They`ve not conceded a goal in seven games and top of the form table so can see them getting out of this.

...which is possibly why they've done it. Stay up, and wipe out a lot of debt in one move. It's a gamble, but possibly one worth taking.

This. They have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation, even with the -12 points. They will figure it is better to take the hit now than struggle on for a month or so and start next season on -12 points.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jul 2020 21:00

Broxroyal
tmesis

This. They have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation, even with the -12 points. They will figure it is better to take the hit now than struggle on for a month or so and start next season on -12 points.

I’d have waited for a game or 2

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jul 2020 21:32

I've seen suggestions that it's more of a Zingarevich situation, with the money from the 'buyer' not arriving, and they are looking to sell again.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Jul 2020 02:11

windermereROYAL
Jackson Corner I wouldn't laugh we could be next. Along with others sadly this Covid is going to hit football very hard.

I don`t see anyone laughing.

Trust me I wasn’t laughing it just struck me the point of the post well that’s one less team to worry about. I remember seeing an interview with Dave Wheelan just before he left and he said despite the FA cup win several seasons in the Premier league he put 500 million pounds of his own money into the club.

Sir John has been fantastic for us bet he didn’t put anything like that in. Once again you have to look at the league’s fit and proper owner’s. test and wonder how they got to buy the club?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 07:25

Jackson Corner
windermereROYAL

Trust me I wasn’t laughing it just struck me the point of the post well that’s one less team to worry about. I remember seeing an interview with Dave Wheelan just before he left and he said despite the FA cup win several seasons in the Premier league he put 500 million pounds of his own money into the club.

Sir John has been fantastic for us bet he didn’t put anything like that in. Once again you have to look at the league’s fit and proper owner’s. test and wonder how they got to buy the club?

SJMs wealth at its peak was only about £700m and he lost half of it in the 2008 crash.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 07:38

Jackson Corner
windermereROYAL

Did you know that Dave Whelan once broke his leg in an FA Cup final?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jul 2020 08:57

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Sanguine

You would assume wrong.

So what? You never receive your penalty as long as you're not in the Play Offs and the points deduction can't put you into the relegation zone?

This is where I'm confused. I thought the punishment was a points deduction - Nameless is insinuating that the punishment is suspended until it can affect promotion or relegation. Didn't Birmingham get a points deduction a few seasons back? It put them in the relegation zone, but they pulled themselves back out and finished bottom half.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jul 2020 08:58

Sutekh
And to confirm, the rules are that at the end of the season Wigan will be deducted 12 points unless they finish in the bottom 3 (which is highly unlikely). Therefore they now have to finish 12 points or more ahead of 22nd place (if exactly 12 points ahead they will have need a better goal difference than the team that’s 22nd) to avoid the drop.

As I thought.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jul 2020 10:00

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
You would assume wrong.

This is where I'm confused. I thought the punishment was a points deduction - Nameless is insinuating that the punishment is suspended until it can affect promotion or relegation. Didn't Birmingham get a points deduction a few seasons back? It put them in the relegation zone, but they pulled themselves back out and finished bottom half.

You're correct, the punishment is the point deduction, there's not waiting for it to actually affect promotion or relegation, that would be ridiculous.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 11:10

tidus_mi2
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal So what? You never receive your penalty as long as you're not in the Play Offs and the points deduction can't put you into the relegation zone?

You're correct, the punishment is the point deduction, there's not waiting for it to actually affect promotion or relegation, that would be ridiculous.

Yeah. It only doesn't apply in a season if the club will already be relegated because then it has no real effect. In which case it applies immediately on the next season starting.

Either we've (I've) misunderstood Nameless or he's got it all wrong.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jul 2020 13:08

Nameless

Why would we be next ?
It would be unlikely, but I wouldn't rule out us breaking financial fair play rules if the owner puts more money than is permitted into the club to ensure we don't go into administration.