Would this ex-players team get promoted?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Would this ex-players team get promoted?

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 12:16

South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Could see the majority of clubs in the Premier league sniffing around him. Sheffield United will need a new keeper for one. But he could slot into so many teams across the Premier league. Its probably just Liverpool, City, United and Wolves who have better keepers (unless I'm forgetting someone obvious?)

But yeah, as you say, he has options now.

Chelsea desperately need a new goalkeeper imo, they could do worse than Martinez.

Think Martinez suits the way Arsenal play way more than Leno, Emi is far superior with his feet. Leno is a very good keeper in his own right of course, not suggesting he isn't but I think Martinez has the edge with his distribution. It's not just the fact he can pass very well it's the speed in which he acts. Many times whilst at Reading you'd see him catch a cross and immediately distribute accurately without even thinking about it.

We will see in due course whether Arteta agrees with you and Seth but I suspect Leno will be back in as soon as he is fit.

I reckon Arteta knows his stuff. I'm sure it will be Leno again, as I said he has been one of Arsenals top performers this season, but its certainly not clear cut right now. Arsenal fans are buzzing about Emi on twitter.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 12:17

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
It will be interesting to see what happens with him and whether other clubs agree with you and OMA.
BTW I would add Burnley, Leicester,Newcastle and (if you respect Southgate's view) Everton.
The views of our resident keeper watcher Royal Blue might back you up or otherwise.

All clubs mentioned do have good keepers, Premier League on the whole is littered with goalkeeping talent. I think it's more about the keepers that might be moving on though. There is a high chance you'll see De Gea, Lloris and Kepa all leave their respective clubs in the summer break and they'll need replacing. Chelsea have been after Pope for a while, could easily see Schmeichel at United and Spurs need to replace Lloris who isn't up to it anymore.

United have the perfect replacement out on loan at a team that is arguably better than them right now.

Don't think they are a better team, United have been excellent since Fernandes came in. On fire.
Henderson is excellent agreed, think there is already a deal in place for him to stay at Sheffield United for another season. If that's the case they should still cash in on De Gea and bring in Schmeichel on the cheap for a season imo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2020 12:20

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews All clubs mentioned do have good keepers, Premier League on the whole is littered with goalkeeping talent. I think it's more about the keepers that might be moving on though. There is a high chance you'll see De Gea, Lloris and Kepa all leave their respective clubs in the summer break and they'll need replacing. Chelsea have been after Pope for a while, could easily see Schmeichel at United and Spurs need to replace Lloris who isn't up to it anymore.

United have the perfect replacement out on loan at a team that is arguably better than them right now.

Don't think they are a better team, United have been excellent since Fernandes came in. On fire.
Henderson is excellent agreed, think there is already a deal in place for him to stay at Sheffield United for another season. If that's the case they should still cash in on De Gea and bring in Schmeichel on the cheap for a season imo.

I suppose what I meant is, given the parts each team has it is ridiculous how much better the Sheffield United team have performed.

I suppose its smart to let Henderson stay out on loan while they have one of the highest paid Keepers underperforming. Let him develop more.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Jul 2020 12:56

Ignore OMA, he's trying to play wrestling heel again. It got found out on AE so now he's giving it a go on the Team Board.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jul 2020 13:19

sandman Ignore OMA, he's trying to play wrestling heel again. It got found out on AE so now he's giving it a go on the Team Board.

Everything I've said is a fact. Chump.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Jul 2020 14:16

Would be better if this post was ex-academy players as these are ones we've let go. Quite honestly I don't think you can call loanees, who we had no chance of signing in most cases, as ex-players

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jul 2020 15:19

Steve Death was a brilliant keeper, only saw him play three times but looked immense on each of those occasions despite his lack of height (he was only 5’7”). Don’t think I’d be unhappy with any Reading side playing a fit Steve Death in his prime in goal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Jul 2020 17:12

Mid Sussex Royal Would be better if this post was ex-academy players as these are ones we've let go. Quite honestly I don't think you can call loanees, who we had no chance of signing in most cases, as ex-players

Wouldbe different if it was ex Academy, but not better.
Just because they were in our Academy doesn’t mean we ‘let them go’. We didn’t let Gylfi or Tish go, we sold them...

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 06 Jul 2020 05:40

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth You are sick in the head if you think McCarthy starts ahead of Emi.

He is sick in the head anyway.

Martinez is probably the best goalkeeper who has ever worn a Reading shirt. He's showing his class at Arsenal, he's top drawer.

:lol:

Yeah that is not right is it. Death? Hislop? Hahnemann? Come on! I mean it's all about opinions anyway but I'm sure tha he is not better then any of those

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Jul 2020 07:32

Ake and Mariappa are the two best options at centre back but probably not the best pairing given that they’re both tiddlers. Similarly with Murray and Long (although Long probably isn’t even the fourth best option any more) who both lack mobility.

McCarthy
Stacey, Ake, Dickie, Bertrand
Carrico, Norwood
Antonio, Gylfi, Fosu
Vydra

Subs: Federici, Mariappa, Chalobah, Henry, HRK, Grabban, Murray

Very strong set of reserves including Martinez, Hamer, Ilori, Cooper, Baker, Tshibola, Ezatolahi, Alex Fernandez, Ola John, Long, Chris Martin, Oliveria, and Afobe. Would have thrown in Beerens (who would be a strong contender to start) but it looks like his career has gone downhill. And then there’s the likes of Osei-Tutu, Baptiste, Wickham and Austin who are a bit different.

So we’re absolutely stacked for players in the central areas, but there’s a lack of wingers and full backs. Teddy Howe is probably second choice at right back and Osei-Tutu at left back.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Jul 2020 15:16

SCIAG Ake and Mariappa are the two best options at centre back but probably not the best pairing given that they’re both tiddlers. Similarly with Murray and Long (although Long probably isn’t even the fourth best option any more) who both lack mobility.

McCarthy
Carrico, Norwood
Antonio, Gylfi, Fosu
Vydra

Very strong set of reserves including Martinez, Hamer, Ilori, Cooper, Baker, Tshibola, Ezatolahi, Alex Fernandez, Ola John, Long, Chris Martin, Oliveria, and Afobe. Would have thrown in Beerens (who would be a strong contender to start) but it looks like his career has gone downhill. And then there’s the likes of Osei-Tutu, Baptiste, Wickham and Austin who are a bit different.

So we’re absolutely stacked for players in the central areas, but there’s a lack of wingers and full backs. Teddy Howe is probably second choice at right back and Osei-Tutu at left back.

That's why I put Ake in at left-back (forgetting Bertrand till last night) as he is an extremely versatile player.
Also I didn't give too much thought to systems-it was a 10-minute consideration as a bit of fun, not a full critique ,so Long and Murray were considered at their best as Antonio was considered as the player he is now and not as the player when with us.

BTW OMA and Seth might want to reconsider the McCarthy v Martinez position after McCarthy's stellar performance last night v City and personally I put Coper some way ahead of Dickie having proven himself in a side pushing for the play-offs in the Championship whereas Dickie (so far) is only doing the same in Div !.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Jul 2020 20:51

South Coast Royal Also I didn't give too much thought to systems-it was a 10-minute consideration as a bit of fun, not a full critique ,so Long and Murray were considered at their best as Antonio was considered as the player he is now and not as the player when with us.

BTW OMA and Seth might want to reconsider the McCarthy v Martinez position after McCarthy's stellar performance last night v City and personally I put Coper some way ahead of Dickie having proven himself in a side pushing for the play-offs in the Championship whereas Dickie (so far) is only doing the same in Div !.

No worries about that Vic. If we’re considering the players at their best then yes Long has to start up front. The thought of Gylfi, Long, Vydra, Murray, Martin, and Grabban at their respective bests all competing for two spots in the team is salivating.

Fair enough on Dickie and Cooper. Personally having seen a fair bit of both I feel comfortable that Dickie is the better all-round player, but he hasn’t had to do it every week at this level. If we’re taking players at their peak then I would probably go with Pearce ahead of either, at least for now, but think Dickie could cut it in the PL one day.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 06 Jul 2020 23:14

Massively disappointed that nobody has Hope Akpan in the starting 11. What a talent he was; just poorly managed. Can’t believe Bradford have released him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Jul 2020 23:20

SCIAG Ake and Mariappa are the two best options at centre back but probably not the best pairing given that they’re both tiddlers. Similarly with Murray and Long (although Long probably isn’t even the fourth best option any more) who both lack mobility.

McCarthy
Carrico, Norwood
Antonio, Gylfi, Fosu
Vydra

Would add Sean Morrison in, probably in place for Dickie
Think I’d have Bacuna as backup RB instead of Howe too

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 09:51

Would you include Cureton ( still playing at 44!) and Le fondre to the squad (one or the other I would think).

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Jul 2020 10:12

Nameless Would you include Cureton ( still playing at 44!) and Le fondre to the squad (one or the other I would think).

Le Fondre is first name on the team sheet for me. Of course he would be on the bench.. but still..

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Jul 2020 10:22

NewCorkSeth
Nameless Would you include Cureton ( still playing at 44!) and Le fondre to the squad (one or the other I would think).

Le Fondre is first name on the team sheet for me. Of course he would be on the bench.. but still..

Curo was playing professionally before all but 3 of our starting lineup on Saturday were even born !

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jul 2020 12:10

URZZZZ

McCarthy
Carrico, Norwood
Antonio, Gylfi, Fosu
Vydra

Yeah good shouts. Thought about Morrison after I made the post, but had completely forgotten about Bacuna.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Jul 2020 12:14

SCIAG
URZZZZ

McCarthy
Carrico, Norwood
Antonio, Gylfi, Fosu
Vydra

Yeah good shouts. Thought about Morrison after I made the post, but had completely forgotten about Bacuna.

Bacuna playing really well for Cardiff at the moment by all accounts. Tracked back, won a tackle to set up their late winner on Saturday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2020 12:46

So having read through... I'd go

Martinez
Bacuna, Pearce, Morrison, Bertrand
Baker, Norwood
Antonio, Sigurdsson, HRK
Murray

HRK looks the weak link there