BFI Follow Huddersfield

131 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFI Follow Huddersfield

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jul 2020 10:57

Snowflake Royal Nice to see more people finally seeing what an absolute shambles he is.

Hopefully this period will be the end of his job commentating on us.

They were both pretty poor last night. I like Mick Gooding but, for the second game in a row was shocked, at how ill-prepared he seemed for his role as co-commentator/play by play analyst. Once again he turned up without even a team sheet, so was unable to identify players. He appears to know relatively little about other players in The Championship and clearly spends very little, if any, time researching them.

Our daughter is in the early stages of a career in football (sorry, soccer!) commentating in the US. I know she spends hours before each game researching the teams and all of the players that are likely to be appearing. That includes watching previous games/highlights and collating stats and 'interesting facts' on each of the players into a spreadsheet. She does the same whether it be a High School, NCAA or USL game that she is commentating on. When you take into account all of the prep time, the hourly pay rate drops quite significantly! However, for anyone who loves football, it's as much a labour of love as 'a job'.

I doubt BBCRB pay very well but IMO Mick really needs to spend a little bit more time preparing!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2020 10:59

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal Nice to see more people finally seeing what an absolute shambles he is.

Hopefully this period will be the end of his job commentating on us.

They were both pretty poor last night. I like Mick Gooding but, for the second game in a row was shocked, at how ill-prepared he seemed for his role as co-commentator/play by play analyst. Once again he turned up without even a team sheet, so was unable to identify players. He appears to know relatively little about other players in The Championship and clearly spends very little, if any, time researching them.

Our daughter is in the early stages of a career in football (sorry, soccer!) commentating in the US. I know she spends hours before each game researching the teams and all of the players that are likely to be appearing. That includes watching previous games/highlights and collating stats and 'interesting facts' on each of the players into a spreadsheet. She does the same whether it be a High School, NCAA or USL game that she is commentating on. When you take into account all of the prep time, the hourly pay rate drops quite significantly! However, for anyone who loves football, it's as much a labour of love as 'a job'.

I doubt BBCRB pay very well but IMO Mick really needs to spend a little bit more time preparing!

Good for her!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jul 2020 11:12

Not as if Mick has a job outside of football or anything. He didn't have a team sheet because they aren't giving them out at the moment because of Covid.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2020 11:14

sandman Not as if Mick has a job outside of football or anything. He didn't have a team sheet because they aren't giving them out at the moment because of Covid.

Where do we get our team sheets from?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jul 2020 11:20

NewCorkSeth
sandman Not as if Mick has a job outside of football or anything. He didn't have a team sheet because they aren't giving them out at the moment because of Covid.

The club usually print them out but they aren't giving them out at the moment for obvious reasons. Seems they are currently sending them out by email but Mick didn't receive the email, which isn't his fault it's the person sending, or in this case not sending it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Jul 2020 11:23

It just shows how awful the match as last night when this thread has spent more time discussing the merits of the commentators than the match. Personally I find Tim's commentary odd, funny and quite enjoyable.

Regarding the match my main comment is that I do hope that by some miracle we can keep Pele - Gomes or whatever he is called. He was stand out last night. If we cannot keep him we do need an equivalent player to work alongside Rino. Then at least we will be hard to beat.

The defence did well - two clean sheets and so well done to the young lads in particular. We must keep Osho who has been really good these last two games.

Creatively we looked meeeehhh. To be fair it must be hard to get up again after a match like Luton when they expended huge energy. With matched coming thick and fast at the end of this season perhaps consistency is hard to achieve.

I have had enough of this season now and looking forward to what the next one brings.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Jul 2020 11:24

sandman
NewCorkSeth

The club usually print them out but they aren't giving them out at the moment for obvious reasons. Seems they are currently sending them out by email but Mick didn't receive the email, which isn't his fault it's the person sending, or in this case not sending it.

My point was it takes 5 minutes max before the game to go and get the team sheets off any number of internet sources.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 08 Jul 2020 11:28

Fair play to Osho. I thought he was set for a career in League 1 at best after the Ipswich trial, but he's clearly taken it upon himself to prove the doubters wrong. He can cover RB and CB; I'm sure he'll have a role next season if not a regular starter. Could be 4th choice CB and 2nd choice RB at once. Great to have academy players involved.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Jul 2020 11:41

Old Man Andrews My favourite bit last night was when he suggested he did 10k in 46 minutes yesterday morning without having a drink.

How old is he? In my 40s my best RACE time was 36:19

But, apart from club nigh speed sessionss, you get that kind of speed from
doing steady 10Ks usually around 8-Minute to 8:15 pace which is FIFTY minutes
for 10K even if you're eight-minute miling.

That, when jogging alone is reasonably quick for club runners.

Sure you can bang out a fast mile or two, but...

There's a total difference between going out for a run alone
and training hard in a group or racing

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2020 11:41

WestYorksRoyal Fair play to Osho. I thought he was set for a career in League 1 at best after the Ipswich trial, but he's clearly taken it upon himself to prove the doubters wrong. He can cover RB and CB; I'm sure he'll have a role next season if not a regular starter. Could be 4th choice CB and 2nd choice RB at once. Great to have academy players involved.

He also went to Bristol Rovers on loan and I don’t think was even selected. After his Boro debut I felt he was a real prospect but he has had to be patient. Now that patience is being rewarded.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 08 Jul 2020 11:42

NewCorkSeth

Surely it would be more environmentally friendly to have digital team sheets. How behind the times are we?!

Forty

by Forty » 08 Jul 2020 12:02

sandman
2 world wars, 1 world cup This was a test game for Bowen trying new things which is quite wise tbh.

BBCRB harp on about the great midfield of Gomes and Rino. Yeah they tackled well but IMO without Ejaria we are missing that flair and threat of danger and instead just have the boring hard tackling unremarkable midfield.

Huddersfield deserved to win that game.

My big learning point today...OSHO. I counted four brilliant crosses on the first half by him. I’ve said before I liked Parj’s philosophy of just trying to get as many crosses as possible and that’s one stat we beat them on today.

I like Gunter but we saw when he came on his crosses weren’t as good as Osho’s who is definitely a real star for us.

Obita offers little and I’d have rather seen Olise.

Pele is a must keep, he is class.

Bollocks. Both teams deserved to lose.

Propose rule change. 0-0 draw. No points.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Jul 2020 12:08

Notts Royal
NewCorkSeth

Surely it would be more environmentally friendly to have digital team sheets. How behind the times are we?!

I noticed yesterday that the team news page on the official site

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/j ... arting-xi/

Has a link to a PDF teamsheet

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/contentasse ... ield-2.pdf

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Jul 2020 12:34

Forty
sandman
2 world wars, 1 world cup This was a test game for Bowen trying new things which is quite wise tbh.

BBCRB harp on about the great midfield of Gomes and Rino. Yeah they tackled well but IMO without Ejaria we are missing that flair and threat of danger and instead just have the boring hard tackling unremarkable midfield.

My big learning point today...OSHO. I counted four brilliant crosses on the first half by him. I’ve said before I liked Parj’s philosophy of just trying to get as many crosses as possible and that’s one stat we beat them on today.

I like Gunter but we saw when he came on his crosses weren’t as good as Osho’s who is definitely a real star for us.

LOL. There is nothing wrong with a 0-0 in most circumstances, you can't punish teams for not scoring and cancelling eachother out.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Jul 2020 12:42

Forty
sandman

146 posts in 16 years, seeing that little gem thats hardly surprising.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jul 2020 12:45

Not really getting the Dellor hate at all. He's a bit of a fcukwad but watching RFC home and away for the last 5 years would be enough to turn a man's mind.

Really should be focusing our ire on football directors who show a series of replays and close ups of players faces whilst the play has resumed. Especially at corners. ifollow appears to take this to a new level of ineptitude. It's shit and shows an absolute lack of understanding of football.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jul 2020 12:49

Snowball
Dellor undermines players, makes their resale value less etc

Not sure what Dellor says would mean we sell a player for a lower amount of money to another club

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 08 Jul 2020 12:50

Forty
sandman

Not keen on that proposal

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Jul 2020 13:01

SouthDownsRoyal
Snowball
Dellor undermines players, makes their resale value less etc

Not sure what Dellor says would mean we sell a player for a lower amount of money to another club

Constant scapegoating or bias on iPlayer and Radio Berks

Multiplied by those easily led, Twitterati, Facebookers, some here

All add to possibly (negatively) affect player directly, team-mates, coaches, managers, owners (esp if owners don’t get football)

It doesn’t have to be by a great percentage to have a real affect

Footballers are like racehorses. At 100% they can be brilliant, at 99% still good, but at 98% they turn to shit

If you don’t think these things affect Puscas, look at his body language

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jul 2020 13:23

leon Not really getting the Dellor hate at all. He's a bit of a fcukwad but watching RFC home and away for the last 5 years would be enough to turn a man's mind.

Really should be focusing our ire on football directors who show a series of replays and close ups of players faces whilst the play has resumed. Especially at corners. ifollow appears to take this to a new level of ineptitude. It's shit and shows an absolute lack of understanding of football.

Agree on all counts
Not as if there was anything really to commentate on yesterday regardless!

131 posts