Bowen's Tenure

202 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bowen's Tenure

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2020 10:21

Not sure why we don't just pay off his contract, if we have no plan to use him especially. From an FFP perspective, it will cost the same given he is now in his last year. Means we are rid and he can find a club willing to take a risk on him.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 10:30

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal oxf*rd you. No seriously. Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water.

There is no way we are desperate enough to play that overpaid useless sack of shit.

Motivate him to leave by barring him from training and just pretend he doesn't exist.

He has a year left on a lucrative contract so there is no way he will leave early by freezing him out. Maybe he can do a job next season, track record says no but while he is here and contracted, if we can use him I don't see why not.

Playing well he could be an asset to the team but there's got to be a reason no one at Reading has really dragged it out of him, either way I think it will be a relief to get him off the books next year.

We have to change the changing room atmosphere. He can't be there.

Not sure we change the atmosphere by having players sulking around again, not being part of the club.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 10:54

Difficult one.

Yes he is a lazy waste of space and I doubt he would care what happens, frozen out, etc as he seems content to earn his wages, full stop.

But it’s a difficult one. I don’t really want him around as he won’t enhance the dressing room mood nor help other players or be particularly useful.

Or if we are paying him, try and use him a bit? If we are paying him seems a waste to not use him at all, he can be half decent when he wants to be.

As has been said, is it an option come the new season if he is still here (pretty nailed on) to pay him what we have to and say go away don’t come back?

I guess the issue is if Bowen does, and appears to be, getting rid of lots of (expensive) dead wood and trying to build ‘his’ team why would he want a piece of overpaid deadwood hanging around?

How does it work with wages and loan deals? Could we loan him out and pay a large part of his wages? I know it sounds crazy but it would lower his cost to us a little, gets him out of the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 10:59

Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 He has a year left on a lucrative contract so there is no way he will leave early by freezing him out. Maybe he can do a job next season, track record says no but while he is here and contracted, if we can use him I don't see why not.

Playing well he could be an asset to the team but there's got to be a reason no one at Reading has really dragged it out of him, either way I think it will be a relief to get him off the books next year.

We have to change the changing room atmosphere. He can't be there.

Not sure we change the atmosphere by having players sulking around again, not being part of the club.

He's not there, he can't affect it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jul 2020 11:28

SouthDownsRoyal Difficult one.

Yes he is a lazy waste of space and I doubt he would care what happens, frozen out, etc as he seems content to earn his wages, full stop.

But it’s a difficult one. I don’t really want him around as he won’t enhance the dressing room mood nor help other players or be particularly useful.

Or if we are paying him, try and use him a bit? If we are paying him seems a waste to not use him at all, he can be half decent when he wants to be.

As has been said, is it an option come the new season if he is still here (pretty nailed on) to pay him what we have to and say go away don’t come back?

I guess the issue is if Bowen does, and appears to be, getting rid of lots of (expensive) dead wood and trying to build ‘his’ team why would he want a piece of overpaid deadwood hanging around?

How does it work with wages and loan deals? Could we loan him out and pay a large part of his wages? I know it sounds crazy but it would lower his cost to us a little, gets him out of the club.

If say, someone is saying they are willing to pay £10k of Aluko's wages if they took him on loan for the season and again say they took him on loan from Aug 1st 2020 to June 1st 2021, that's roughly 42 weeks, I'm just estimating that part but in the interests of FFP that would reduce our expenditure for FFP by £420k for the season.

I don't know if we'd get away with loaning him out to one of the owner's other clubs again, I feel with the Derby/Sheffield Wednesday situations the EFL are looking a lot closer at FFP and we kind of took the piss with that one.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 12:32

With all the portuguese coaches gone now (I think) will be interesting to see if Bowen is allowed to bring in his own team or if we'll promote from within the club.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 13:26

Simon's Church With all the portuguese coaches gone now (I think) will be interesting to see if Bowen is allowed to bring in his own team or if we'll promote from within the club.

What's the current staff?

Manager - Bowen
AST Manager - Niedzwiecki
First team coach - O'Shea
First team coach - ?
Goalkeeper coach - ?
Fitness coach - ?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2020 13:28

Snowflake Royal
Simon's Church With all the portuguese coaches gone now (I think) will be interesting to see if Bowen is allowed to bring in his own team or if we'll promote from within the club.

Manager - Bowen
First team coach - ?
Goalkeeper coach - ?
Fitness coach - ?

Gilkes might take that other first team coach role, or is he already in it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 13:30

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

Manager - Bowen
First team coach - ?
Goalkeeper coach - ?
Fitness coach - ?

Tbh I have no idea how many there should be but you often hear of defensive coaches, so you'd think 2 plus assistant makes sense, but depends how heavily Bowen is involved. Iirc Coppell didn't really do training.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jul 2020 13:49

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Snowflake Royal What's the current staff?

Manager - Bowen
First team coach - ?
Goalkeeper coach - ?
Fitness coach - ?

Tbh I have no idea how many there should be but you often hear of defensive coaches, so you'd think 2 plus assistant makes sense, but depends how heavily Bowen is involved. Iirc Coppell didn't really do training.

Gilkesy is the Academy Manager now

Not sure about all the Portuguese coaches having left. Isn’t Rui Santos still the fitness coach?

Presume the club are looking for a goalkeeper coach, anyone know if Marcus needs a job :lol:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 13:53

Snowflake Royal

Manager - Bowen
First team coach - ?
Goalkeeper coach - ?
Fitness coach - ?

Yeah think we are 3 coaches down from how we went into last season.
Rui Santos posted on Instagram suggesting he was leaving, nothing official though.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jul 2020 14:46

SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal
Don’t mention that name! What on earth are we going to do with him?!

Literally nothing. Nobody will buy him. Any club that would even want him won't pay half what we are paying. A loan might be possible.

Honestly, and I dont like saying this, we might have to just play him.. put him on the bench and use him for cover.

Players like aluko are just so frustrating. Yes a stupid signing but he has shown at limited times he can be a decent player but it’s so rare and he seems happy being paid good money for sitting on the bench

In fairness to Aluko at least he allowed us to jiggle FFP by going to China.

You could argue it's the likes of Baldock, Gunter and McCleary who were happy to stick it out on large wages despite being told at the end of last season they were not part of the manager's plans.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jul 2020 15:35

SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Why do people think we're well stocked in midfield?

We've got a plethora of airy fairy attacking midfielders and one guy who can put a shift in. We play 3 in midfield. How is Rinomhota, Swift (likely to be sold) Olise and Holsgrove well stocked? Oh, and Araruna, a guy whose played one game there, looked out of his depth and then never been seen again.

We've literally just finished the season playing centrebacks in midfield.

You forgot the creme de la creme. Aluko.

Pay him to not play for another year (it is only one more year isn’t it?)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2020 17:05

Westwood52
SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth You forgot the creme de la creme. Aluko.

What’s everybody’s take on Alukho.Somebody posted players salaries on here a couple of weeks ago which indicated a weekly salary paid to him of £15k a week.Yet I always understood he had a long contract of £40k a week,and this latter figure was what was crippling us financially.As a player I really don’t know what to make of him;he clearly has ability,but is lazy , pulls out of tackles and just drifts out of games.He is now of an age where his best years are behind him and once our contract up ,he faces a very uncertain future.Does he care about his career ? Presumably he is just happy to count his money,but what does he do next ?His sister,while a controversial figure,is clearly ambitious for a footing on the non playing side of the game.Her brother however seems an introspective,distant character.Its all very strange.Most Pro’s are very determined individuals,as it takes so much commitment to get into the professional game.All very strange with Sone.Does anybody know what the “problem” is?

Seems to train well and is a good pro. Just hasn't fitted the style of play. Perhaps that reflects the "sulking" and lack of motivation. Perhaps Bowen is willing to give him one more chance.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jul 2020 17:30

Lower West
Westwood52
SouthDownsRoyal

What’s everybody’s take on Alukho.Somebody posted players salaries on here a couple of weeks ago which indicated a weekly salary paid to him of £15k a week.Yet I always understood he had a long contract of £40k a week,and this latter figure was what was crippling us financially.As a player I really don’t know what to make of him;he clearly has ability,but is lazy , pulls out of tackles and just drifts out of games.He is now of an age where his best years are behind him and once our contract up ,he faces a very uncertain future.Does he care about his career ? Presumably he is just happy to count his money,but what does he do next ?His sister,while a controversial figure,is clearly ambitious for a footing on the non playing side of the game.Her brother however seems an introspective,distant character.Its all very strange.Most Pro’s are very determined individuals,as it takes so much commitment to get into the professional game.All very strange with Sone.Does anybody know what the “problem” is?

Seems to train well and is a good pro. Just hasn't fitted the style of play. Perhaps that reflects the "sulking" and lack of motivation. Perhaps Bowen is willing to give him one more chance.

Unless someone can prove a poor attitude/lazy I'm fully convinced it's just a lazy accusation for a player where it hasn't quite worked out. It could easily be that our style of play doesn't work with his for example.

It just looks worse when you spunk £7.5m on a player and get little returns.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jul 2020 17:36

Yeah not a fan of this armchair analysis of players’ characters based on “body language” and so forth. Aluko is hardly the first winger we’ve had who didn’t like getting into a tackle.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 17:41

One of the first shipped out when there was talk about bad attitude in the squad though.

Floats around the pitch not contributing. Passing poor. Doesn't beat his man. Doesn't score. Doesn't cross. Loses the ball. Doesn't tackle.

Absolutely symptomatic with everything that was wrong with the club. A late 20s inconsistent player signed for big money, with a big wage on an excessively long contract who singularly failed to perform under 4 managers.

Also didn't impress out on loan in China.

18 year old academy product is superior in every way.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2020 17:52

Snowflake Royal One of the first shipped out when there was talk about bad attitude in the squad though.

Floats around the pitch not contributing. Passing poor. Doesn't beat his man. Doesn't score. Doesn't cross. Loses the ball. Doesn't tackle.

Absolutely symptomatic with everything that was wrong with the club. A late 20s inconsistent player signed for big money, with a big wage on an excessively long contract who singularly failed to perform under 4 managers.

Also didn't impress out on loan in China.

18 year old academy product is superior in every way.

Excepting the obvious

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 18:34

SCIAG Yeah not a fan of this armchair analysis of players’ characters based on “body language” and so forth. Aluko is hardly the first winger we’ve had who didn’t like getting into a tackle.

I think alukos problems are a bit bigger than not wanted to get into a tackle

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jul 2020 19:04

SouthDownsRoyal
SCIAG Yeah not a fan of this armchair analysis of players’ characters based on “body language” and so forth. Aluko is hardly the first winger we’ve had who didn’t like getting into a tackle.

I think alukos problems are a bit bigger than not wanted to get into a tackle

me neither - problem is though he isn't a winger - played behind the main striker when he was good at Fulham

202 posts