BFIFOLLOW Charlton

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFIFOLLOW Charlton

by Royals and Racers » 11 Jul 2020 20:20

windermereROYAL
Royals and Racers Puscas is going to have to change his Penalties. I guarantee when he takes his next pen the keeper will stand still and catch it !!

Wycombe keepers right ( guessed right but beaten) Wigan down the middle, WBA keepers right (went the wrong way) Sheffield utd keepers left in the corner (top GK went the right way but couldnt get to it) today down the middle.

Are you sure he has put it more than a yard either side of the middle ? I`m not counting shoot outs.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 11 Jul 2020 20:22

Royals and Racers Puscas is going to have to change his Penalties. I guarantee when he takes his next pen the keeper will stand still and catch it !!

They said the same to Panenka...

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jul 2020 20:25

Royals and Racers
windermereROYAL

Wycombe keepers right ( guessed right but beaten) Wigan down the middle, WBA keepers right (went the wrong way) Sheffield utd keepers left in the corner (top GK went the right way but couldnt get to it) today down the middle.

Are you sure he has put it more than a yard either side of the middle ? I`m not counting shoot outs.

Sheffield united. he takes them at national level too, missed his first earlier this year.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jul 2020 20:58

Watching live i thought he was way offside but the screenshot makes it look much tighter. As someone said though, move forward a millisecond and he looks more offside.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 Jul 2020 08:59

NewCorkSeth Watching live i thought he was way offside but the screenshot makes it look much tighter. As someone said though, move forward a millisecond and he looks more offside.

Interesting because that situation is exactly the problem with VAR (I know not used in the Championship).
Is the reference point when the player playing the ball first touches the ball or when he last touches it ? That's milliseconds apart but could make all the difference.
"A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate..."
"*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used"
I'm not at all convinced that's what the VAR use

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jul 2020 09:14

Onside or offside, as been mentioned it`s a split second decision virtually impossible to get right every time with the human eye, linemen are hugely talented but can`t get it right every time, that`s just not possible, so calm down Bowyer you prick , whether it was the right or wrong decision isn`t that important because there is no doubt at all that you have benefitted from these decisions during the season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Jul 2020 10:29

We sure did win that ugly yesterday. Charlton were a tidy side and caused us a lot of problems although we easily could have scored a 2nd not long after the penalty. A draw would have been fair in my view. Credit to our resolute defending and Charlton didn't get many clear cut chances. Although their goal should have stood.

Charlton will be fine based on their performance, I've seen 5 worse teams than them this season. Although after their anti football tactics in the reverse fixture at the Mad Stad I'm happy we got one over them. I think they miss Lyle Taylor and probably would have got at least a point if he played.

I wasn't overly happy with the all round performance. We looked unbalanced and overrun in midfield too much but credit to Bowen for bringing Moore on in there to tighten us up. Charlton had scraps once him and Gunter came on. We did enough and ultimately that's the important thing. I think scraping wins when not at our best is a good sign. Hopefully we'll get more results like that next season.

I'd take 4 points from the last 3 games giving us 60 points, that's a solid improvement. Blackburn and Swansea will be really tough games. Hopefully finish off the season with at least 1 more home win.

Looking forward to the play-off final tomorrow! Hopefully Oxford do it as it would be fun to play them, although if Wycombe win I'd be delighted for them. They looked decent in the league cup match we won on penalties. Both will add something new to the championship.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jul 2020 11:53

windermereROYAL
Royalwaster
Hound Interesting to see Bowen being sympathetic to Bowyer in the interview after the game

FWIW didn’t think it was a pen to them but the goal was prob on side

But then I thought Aneke should have been sent off as well

Agree mainly with Ian’s ratings

Just watched replay and looks about a yard off-side ...

https://twitter.com/jackarronscarth/sta ... 4114455552

Looks onside.

Impossible to tell with a picture taken from behind the goal!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jul 2020 11:56

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
sandman Yet transfer what he's done since taking over to a whole season and we would be right up there.

Good win, good management, classic away performance.

Shame he can't produce any classic home performances. They are equally turgid without the results to compensate. So I guess you could equally say transfer what he's done at home since taking over to the whole season and we'd probably already be relegated.

Also, with the crap officiating at this level it is a massive gamble to settle for 1-0 wins. One bad mistake by the officials (or in today's game one correct decision that should have given Charlton a penalty) and you've lost at least two points. Had Charlton been given that penalty (and even the most biased Royals supporter would probably have to say it was a penalty) and we would probably have ended up losing that game with Charlton fired up and us incapable of scoring goals with such a defensive setup.

Well yeah, you could say that if you wanted to be a negative Nancy and bash the manager for no reason.

The home record, accompanied by the utterly boring games we've had to endure at The Mad Stad is a very valid reason to bash the manager. I doubt the owners will be overly impressed with it either, since it is largely the home form and entertainment value that dictates ticket sales and income.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2020 11:58

RoyalBlue
windermereROYAL
Royalwaster
Just watched replay and looks about a yard off-side ...

https://twitter.com/jackarronscarth/sta ... 4114455552

Looks onside.

Impossible to tell with a picture taken from behind the goal!

LOL

'Yard', 'mile'. :lol:

You've only got to look at the white line a few feet from them and you can see Morro's boot is much closer to it than Aneke's. Aneke is leaning towards goal which makes it a matter of CMs whether it's behind, inline or off.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jul 2020 19:54

Franchise FC
NewCorkSeth Watching live i thought he was way offside but the screenshot makes it look much tighter. As someone said though, move forward a millisecond and he looks more offside.

Interesting because that situation is exactly the problem with VAR (I know not used in the Championship).
Is the reference point when the player playing the ball first touches the ball or when he last touches it ? That's milliseconds apart but could make all the difference.
"A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate..."
"*The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used"
I'm not at all convinced that's what the VAR use

To me that makes no sense. Wouldn't that mean that if a player is dribbling the ball, any player onside when he started his run would still be onside when he finishes, even if they are miles ahead of the last defender at that point?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2020 20:11

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
Shame he can't produce any classic home performances. They are equally turgid without the results to compensate. So I guess you could equally say transfer what he's done at home since taking over to the whole season and we'd probably already be relegated.

Also, with the crap officiating at this level it is a massive gamble to settle for 1-0 wins. One bad mistake by the officials (or in today's game one correct decision that should have given Charlton a penalty) and you've lost at least two points. Had Charlton been given that penalty (and even the most biased Royals supporter would probably have to say it was a penalty) and we would probably have ended up losing that game with Charlton fired up and us incapable of scoring goals with such a defensive setup.

Well yeah, you could say that if you wanted to be a negative Nancy and bash the manager for no reason.

The home record, accompanied by the utterly boring games we've had to endure at The Mad Stad is a very valid reason to bash the manager. I doubt the owners will be overly impressed with it either, since it is largely the home form and entertainment value that dictates ticket sales and income.

The home record is a long standing issue that needs time to rectify. It was a problem before MB and will take time - it is a mental issue more than anything. If we see no improvement by say mid-point next season then we can discuss it more.

The conversation at the moment should be more, what is the underlying issue causing the poor home form.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jul 2020 00:06

Don’t know the stats but reckon Blackett’s look healthy this season

Started all of the games over the Christmas period, where we kept four consecutive clean sheets, started the last three with three consecutive clean sheets and hasn’t played much more than that. He’s also chipped in with many goal assists/contributions as well, and made very few errors, if any, leading to opposition goals. Also, IMO, brings out the best in Ejaria when he’s playing LM

Think on the whole Bowen has got the LB conundrum wrong, in that Blackett should have been starting games while we had a chance of reaching the top 6, whereas now Richards should perhaps have the shirt whilst we have nothing to play for and are preparing for the future (assuming Blackett is gone). Difficult one as you don’t really want to disrupt three clean sheets in a row but it seems a bit of a pointless exercise using players now that won’t be here next season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2020 08:09

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 13 Jul 2020 08:17

URZZZZ Don’t know the stats but reckon Blackett’s look healthy this season

Started all of the games over the Christmas period, where we kept four consecutive clean sheets, started the last three with three consecutive clean sheets and hasn’t played much more than that. He’s also chipped in with many goal assists/contributions as well, and made very few errors, if any, leading to opposition goals. Also, IMO, brings out the best in Ejaria when he’s playing LM

Think on the whole Bowen has got the LB conundrum wrong, in that Blackett should have been starting games while we had a chance of reaching the top 6, whereas now Richards should perhaps have the shirt whilst we have nothing to play for and are preparing for the future (assuming Blackett is gone). Difficult one as you don’t really want to disrupt three clean sheets in a row but it seems a bit of a pointless exercise using players now that won’t be here next season

Yes it all depends on who is here next season. 1 thing is certain is that Blackett & Richards are both now considerably stronger in the LB role than Obita is. Presumably Bowen knows that which is why he’s been trying Obita out further up the field. Got to feel gutted for the bloke as that injury has really hampered him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2020 08:31

Hound https://www.whoscored.com/Players/137795/Show/Tyler-Blackett

Arguably well underused this season

Interesting that Rino is well down the average ratings list. Shows there's stuff it really doesn't measure well. He's had another good season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2020 08:40

Snowflake Royal

Interesting that Rino is well down the average ratings list. Shows there's stuff it really doesn't measure well. He's had another good season.

yeah definitely take the ratings with a pinch of salt

Rino has improved a lot as the season has gone on. Back to his best since the restart

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Jul 2020 08:43

Snowflake Royal

I seem to remember Rhino starting quite poorly, getting dropped