MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h) sponsored by Chris Rea

255 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h) sponsored by Chris Rea

by URZZZZ » 14 Jul 2020 21:00

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip We need to offload Baldock. He has been a piss poor signing and offers no threat at all.

No he hasn’t
He offers plenty of threat

He works well in a two man strike duo which was evident earlier in the season. He’s categorically not a lone striker however which Bowen can’t seem to understand and for some reason, he still doesn’t use two up front

Yeah nine goals in two seasons. He’s lethal.

Congratulations for reaffirming my point that he’s not a lone striker :)

How many times have we played to his strengths (I.e partnered him with someone). Can think of very few occasions except earlier in the season when he was given a go with Puscas (and coincidentally his best form as a Reading player!). Likewise he was well liked at Brighton as part of a duo up top (with Murray) and was later sold by Brighton because they moved to one up top in the Prem and he didn’t fit

Doesn’t mean he’s “piss poor” or contributes nothing etc, he’s justly grossly misused. It’s characters like him, Morrison, Rinomhota, etc who are consistent, reliable pretty much each week who are good solid Champ players. We have too many players who range from an 8/10 each week to a 4, Yiadom, Richards, Swift, Ejaria, Olise, Puscas etc and it’s showed with massive inconsistencies in results

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jul 2020 21:03

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ
No he hasn’t
He offers plenty of threat

He works well in a two man strike duo which was evident earlier in the season. He’s categorically not a lone striker however which Bowen can’t seem to understand and for some reason, he still doesn’t use two up front

How many times have we played to his strengths (I.e partnered him with someone). Can think of very few occasions except earlier in the season when he was given a go with Puscas (and coincidentally his best form as a Reading player!). Likewise he was well liked at Brighton as part of a duo up top (with Murray) and was later sold by Brighton because they moved to one up top in the Prem and he didn’t fit

Doesn’t mean he’s “piss poor” or contributes nothing etc, he’s justly grossly misused. It’s characters like him, Morrison, Rinomhota, etc who are consistent, reliable pretty much each week who are good solid Champ players. We have too many players who range from an 8/10 each week to a 4, Yiadom, Richards, Swift, Ejaria, Olise, Puscas etc and it’s showed with massive inconsistencies in results

Ah here we go. Another instance of Urzzz being told he is wrong, everyone knowing he is wrong but him doubling down on being wrong. Like clockwork.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jul 2020 21:06

Only Hull have lost more at home than us.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jul 2020 21:20

paddy20
Old Man Andrews Awful result, awful display. Bowen is not the long term answer.

Agreed . Looks bleak for next season

Bollocks, bit harsh. Bowen has played the strongest attacking line that we have over these fixtures. 1 win in 13 at home because we are simply not creating enough with our strongest midfielders on the pitch. Bowen’s record speaks for itself, the Players need to take Responsibility for their piss poor creativity. We have a well and truly overhyped midfield giving nothing to the striker.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jul 2020 21:23

royalp-we
paddy20
Old Man Andrews Awful result, awful display. Bowen is not the long term answer.

Agreed . Looks bleak for next season

Bollocks. Bowen has played the strongest attacking line that we have over these fixtures. 1 win in 13 at home because we are simply not creating enough with our strongest midfielders on the pitch. Bowen’s record speaks for itself, the Players need to take Responsibility for their piss poor creativity. We have a well and truly overhyped midfield giving nothing to the striker.

Because Bowen doesn't train them or instruct them apparently...... Our lack of creativity is Bowen's fault, it's in the way he sets up the team and instructs them to play.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jul 2020 21:26

Players like Swift, Olise and although he didn’t play today, Ejaria need to take some responsibility. Clearly got talent but the midfield aren’t working together to create opportunities.

The fan base would be at his neck if none of those 3 start when available, but they simply aren’t creating enough.

It’s good problems to have as they are talented, but he needs the summer to put his own spin on things. To even suggest Bowen should be outed is quite frankly stupid considering his record.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 14 Jul 2020 21:30

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Zip

Ah here we go. Another instance of Urzzz being told he is wrong, everyone knowing he is wrong but him doubling down on being wrong. Like clockwork.

Have to say I agree with Urzzz here. We certainly need solid Champ players who are consistent and reliable. Baldock has been grossly misused and as he pointed out, his best spell came earlier in the season when he was partnered with Puscas, who also had arguably his best spell of the season around then. On Saturday Baldock wasn’t in the game as Bowen had gone defensive in his set up. There’s many strikers who are unable to play the lone striker role...Le Fondre, Hunt, McNulty, Puscas, Cox all spring to mind. But that doesn’t mean they are all rubbish. I’d sell Baldock as he’s likely on a high wage...but he’s still an adequate player at this level if utilised correctly

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 14 Jul 2020 21:32

Notts Royal
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Have to say I agree with Urzzz here. We certainly need solid Champ players who are consistent and reliable. Baldock has been grossly misused and as he pointed out, his best spell came earlier in the season when he was partnered with Puscas, who also had arguably his best spell of the season around then. On Saturday Baldock wasn’t in the game as Bowen had gone defensive in his set up. There’s many strikers who are unable to play the lone striker role...Le Fondre, Hunt, McNulty, Puscas, Cox all spring to mind. But that doesn’t mean they are all rubbish. I’d sell Baldock as he’s likely on a high wage...but he’s still an adequate player at this level if utilised correctly

Agree with this, don’t think Bowen is playing to their strengths and appears immensely reluctant to play two at front, even at home where we have nil attacking intent.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Jul 2020 21:40

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ And people are wondering why others are unsure of Bowen still :lol:

Sit back on a 1-0 lead once again and lose the lead again! And repeat. He’s steadied the ship but it’s dire viewing, and he isn’t improving it in terms of that aspect

Our home record has been dire for almost a decade.

Bowen's got us midtable from relegation places by building a strong defence and getting points away. Good managers always seem to start by building from the back.

People would be singing his praises to the rooftops if the home and away record was flipped.

If the home record is still terrible at the end of next season, think about changing over the summer, or maybe if we're back in relegation danger. But give the guy a chance to sort it out. The restart has been a complete wild card, we've been basically safe since before the lockdown and Bowen has a chance to do more squad building.

What is another manager going to do better with huge financial problems and half a summer?

Get behind the guy who is actually a success for a change.

That really isn't an excuse. Do you think when new players or managers come in they think "our home form has been dire for a decade it's adding to the pressure".
Course not, the answer to that question is simple. Every manager we have employed (BM MK1 aside) in the last decade has been negative, boring or cautious.....and boy does it show in the b*llocks we have witnessed.

I wouldn’t have said Nigel “I want to score 100 goals this season” Adkins, was a negative or cautious manager.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Jul 2020 21:49

tidus_mi2 Haha and we are officially the first current Championship side to have nothing to play for, everyone else can get relegated or promoted still.

Add Blackburn to that tonight, should be a cracker on Saturday.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jul 2020 21:52

CountryRoyal
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal Our home record has been dire for almost a decade.

Bowen's got us midtable from relegation places by building a strong defence and getting points away. Good managers always seem to start by building from the back.

People would be singing his praises to the rooftops if the home and away record was flipped.

If the home record is still terrible at the end of next season, think about changing over the summer, or maybe if we're back in relegation danger. But give the guy a chance to sort it out. The restart has been a complete wild card, we've been basically safe since before the lockdown and Bowen has a chance to do more squad building.

What is another manager going to do better with huge financial problems and half a summer?

That really isn't an excuse. Do you think when new players or managers come in they think "our home form has been dire for a decade it's adding to the pressure".
Course not, the answer to that question is simple. Every manager we have employed (BM MK1 aside) in the last decade has been negative, boring or cautious.....and boy does it show in the b*llocks we have witnessed.

I wouldn’t have said Nigel “I want to score 100 goals this season” Adkins, was a negative or cautious manager.

:lol: All the managers fault, fails to mention we still have some players at the club from our relegation seven (7) years ago.
Last edited by royalp-we on 14 Jul 2020 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jul 2020 21:52

Want to see us playing 5 up front on Saturday, absolutely nothing to lose at all. Every single Reading supporter would forgive Bowen for going up there and going all out attack and losing rather than playing turgid shite and coming away with a 0-0.

biff

by biff » 14 Jul 2020 22:22

we make the pitch look massive. disjointed, ponderous, nothing about us.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Jul 2020 22:58

Zip
windermereROYAL Home wins per season since relegation.
13/14: 8
14/15: 8
15/16: 8
16/17: 16 :shock:
17/18: 5
18/19: 8
19/20: 7 so far.

One word, pathetic.

It begs the question how on earth have we avoided relegation.

And also why would anyone buy a season ticket?!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jul 2020 22:59

bcubed
Zip
windermereROYAL Home wins per season since relegation.
13/14: 8
14/15: 8
15/16: 8
16/17: 16 :shock:
17/18: 5
18/19: 8
19/20: 7 so far.

One word, pathetic.

It begs the question how on earth have we avoided relegation.

And also why would anyone buy a season ticket?!

I need to away and ponder that.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 14 Jul 2020 23:11

I’ve had a season ticket since the Mad stad opened. I’m old enough not to get upset when we lose. But I am sick and tired of watching us lose at home so easily it doesn’t matter who the manager is we lose with a whimper.
Look at the way Boro closed us down when we had chances to cross the ball we just jogged towards them.
I don’t care we have nothing to play for or that the ground was empty these are highly paid professional players there is no excuse. The buck stops with the manager our home form is a disgrace he has done nothing to address the issue.
Stoke, Huddersfield and Borough three sides facing relegation and we pick up 2 points and hardly have a shot on goal.

Yes Brentford are a good team but we just laid down and died. Why would you renew your season ticket?
I love this club it’s a big part of my life but I am not sure I can take any more of this. We will be relegated next season our 150th year. :evil:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 14 Jul 2020 23:59

Likewise, had my ST since the mad stad opened.

Sack the manager, sack him again, take his missus out for dinner if she’s up for it.

I can resonate with what you’re saying because I’ve seen us in the depths of Division Two but it’s really not the manager at fault at present. He’s inherited this shit show and I think he’s done very well to turn round a relegation threatened team to, with a few clever signings, could be competing in the top half come next season.

A massive overreaction to what could have been a nail biting end of the season had we been still be under the stewardship of Gomes or others.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jul 2020 00:05

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ And people are wondering why others are unsure of Bowen still :lol:

Sit back on a 1-0 lead once again and lose the lead again! And repeat. He’s steadied the ship but it’s dire viewing, and he isn’t improving it in terms of that aspect

Our home record has been dire for almost a decade.

Aye, I’m not disputing what he’s achieved so far but I don’t think he can take us further forward, happy for him to prove me wrong however

When he originally came in, it was all about steadying the ship, steering us away from safety and then trying to build something further. He’s achieved both one and two but I’m not convinced he can take it to another level

Obviously he’s inexperienced as a manager so it may be harsh but I don’t think he learns from mistakes. Constantly swapping Puscas and Baldock around to no avail, throwing leads away and not adding to existing leads etc indicates this

I expect and fully accept he deserves the chance to have a crack with his own squad next season because on the whole he deserves it. But on the other hand, I can see peoples’ frustrations because being honest, it has been a hard watch this season
Which, you could argue, was necessary for a while, but I’d have thought he’d have used these “dead rubber” games to try something different, not the old tried and tested

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Jul 2020 00:10

I'll be getting a season ticket again but it does become hard when you rarely see a win. I'm far more open to giving Bowen a shot because he's got us to mid-table, a damn massive improvement over all but 2 of our seasons since we were last relegated from the Premier League and one of those included the tedious Stamball that when it fell apart, really fell apart

4-1 vs Newcastle
4-1 vs Brentford
5-0 vs Fulham
3-0 vs Brighton
3-0 vs Preston
7-1 vs Norwich

I'm just hopeful for next season, while Gomes and Clement sort of stuttered us across the line and got a shot the following season, Bowen has propelled us from 22nd to safely mid-table in 14th, I suppose one big problem is we have a large squad and with everything that's going on it isn't really a sellers market so we may struggle to reduce the squad size.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2020 06:24

Sorry all but most of these posts read like entitled drivel and of those who made their mind up on Bowen on day 1 and can't wait to be proved right.

Sorting this shitshow out takes time, he has done the defensive part of the job now, adding more attacking potentcy is the next and hardest part. That is a next season job, esp. with the enforced break this.

We don't know if he is the man to do that as that hasn't been the main focus to date but we have shown flashes of it.

Home form is an ingrained issue and has been for longer than shown on this thread, remember beating Blackpool under Rodgers, that ended a run of nearly a year without a home win. Really not sure how that can be tackled.

255 posts