79%
No
21%

Total votes: 52
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Puscas

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2020 10:38

It is not reasonable or logical to expect any player will score 20+ goals a season at Championship level because year on year, relatively few do.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Jul 2020 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Jul 2020 10:42

From Despair To Where? It is not reasonable or logicall to assume a player will score 20+ goals a season because year on year, relatively few do.

Jeez, will you read what I actually write?

I-AM-TALKING-ABOUT-ONE-SEASON. 2020-21, if he stays

I am thinking capable of well over 20 goals if he’s played to his strengths

Thus comfortably 20.

Explain where Ive mentioned any other future season?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2020 10:45

You're the one not actually reading.

Very few players across the Championship in any season score 20+ goals so why do you EXPECT him to do it next season?

It's an unreasonable expectation of any player.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 12 Jul 2020 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jul 2020 10:45

Hi Snowball,

Great stats by the way, no one ever gets bored of reading those.

I was wondering what formation the likes of Liberty Oradea, Bihor Oradea, Inter Milan, Bari, Benevento, Novara, Palermo, Romania Under 21s and the senior Romanian National Team play?

Seems you have confidently stated that, by being deployed as a lone striker, Puscas is "playing out of position". However, I was wondering if that was truly the case. I'm not doubting you but many teams deploy a formation with one upfront these days, to the point that the "big man, little man" combination is virtually obsolete. I'd be surprised if the majority of his career has been played as a two man partnership to be honest but you may have a greater knowledge of his previous career than I do.

I look forward to your reply.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Jul 2020 10:45

A striker is only as good as those who are around him. A good team makes a striker look better. We've not exactly created many chances per game.

I think Puscas has been frustrating at times. He could easily have had 17 or 18 goals if he put away half the sitters he missed and that'd be a really good season. I think he's done quite well given the circumstances. If he can improve next season he could easily get 20 goals if we don't weaken our midfield. He gets into the right places, he just has been a bit unlucky not to convert those moments of quality into goals.

I think we'd be mad to sell him this summer. For the first time in years I'm really happy with the strikers and goal threat that we have. We just need to figure out the right system at home so we score more and win more matches. The potential is there for Puscas, if we get that out of him he could leave us for a £10-15m fee easily.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2020 10:49

Interesting that this is how the most productive season of Puscas' career and he has scored more goals for Reading than any other club.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jul 2020 10:52

From Despair To Where? Interesting that this is how the most productive season of Puscas' career and he has scored more goals for Reading than any other club.

And that's despite, unlike us, all the other teams apparently playing him in the correct position.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jul 2020 11:07

What really pisses me off is that when we were paying £4.5m+ for Aluko, Brentford were signing Ollie Watkins for £1.8m.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2020 11:46

I'm not surprised we haven't found the right strike partnership seeing as we play ONE striker.

Fooking Nora you're hard work snowball.

How you think Puscas will be sure to get 21 goals next season when he isn't even first choice here is incredible. How many do you expect Joao to get? 35? Meite 25?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Jul 2020 11:56

Surely Puscas will leave in the summer because apparently Dellor doesn’t praise him all the time I am not sure any player could remain at Reading if Dellor doesn’t favour them.

He did well to score that penalty yesterday’s knowing in his head that Dellor doesn’t praise him.

He handled the pressure well.

I am torn on the Puscas issue. Did we really pay eight million or was that just a headline figure?

Nearing in mind first season, disjointed season, etc he has done quite well, but if he stayed next season 8 would like to see much more from him.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 12 Jul 2020 12:19

That run and goal against Cardiff was something else

he looked a 7 million player with that or whatever we paid

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Jul 2020 12:27

super darren caskey That run and goal against Cardiff was something else

True dat

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2020 12:44

super darren caskey That run and goal against Cardiff was something else

Arguably that goal did him more harm than good in terms of fan expectation this season.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jul 2020 12:56

I like Puscas. I think had he not missed those 2 sitters early on there wouldn't even be a debate about him. He's developing well, looks like he is getting used to the intensity of the league. Between him and Joao we have 2 good strikers for next season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Jul 2020 13:17

From Despair To Where? You're the one not actually reading.

Very few players across the Championship in any season score 20+ goals so why do you EXPECT him to do it next season?

It's an unreasonable expectation of any player.

seriously? The post above yours (from me) DETAILED why I think (given said conditions) he should get 20+

Should I cut and paste what I said?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Jul 2020 13:28

sandman Hi Snowball,

Great stats by the way, no one ever gets bored of reading those.

I was wondering what formation the likes of Liberty Oradea, Bihor Oradea, Inter Milan, Bari, Benevento, Novara, Palermo, Romania Under 21s and the senior Romanian National Team play?

Seems you have confidently stated that, by being deployed as a lone striker, Puscas is "playing out of position". However, I was wondering if that was truly the case. I'm not doubting you but many teams deploy a formation with one upfront these days, to the point that the "big man, little man" combination is virtually obsolete. I'd be surprised if the majority of his career has been played as a two man partnership to be honest but you may have a greater knowledge of his previous career than I do.

I look forward to your reply.

I have not the slightest idea, nor do I care under what system Puscas has played for other clubs.

His price-tag when he came to us (and interest from elsewhere) strongly suggests other scouts/managers fancied him.

The specific of being the one man up front is not the issue. We tend to think (and mostly see in the Championship) that the “one” is a classic back-to-goal, usually big, like Joao who gets countless long balls punted from defence at him which he’s supposed to head on, head down to supporting players or control and lay off.

Never in a million years is that Puscas’s STRENGTH.

He needs ball to feet or passes to run on to (like Ejaria’s to Meite v Luton)

Maybe he played in front twos or threes or as a one (no idea) but when he was a “one” (if ever) perhaps he was fed differently

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2020 13:35

Have you even seen Joao play!?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Jul 2020 13:43

NewCorkSeth I like Puscas. I think had he not missed those 2 sitters early on there wouldn't even be a debate about him. He's developing well, looks like he is getting used to the intensity of the league. Between him and Joao we have 2 good strikers for next season.

If Joao can ever manage a few games without being injured

And I think it’s more than just missing two sitters that creates debate about
Puscas

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Jul 2020 14:02

The reason players who score 20+ in The Championship season after season is they often move to The Premiership, either because their club gets promoted or because they are sold.

This is last Season's top-scorers

Championship Top Scorers 2018-19

Champ Goals followed by total goals

The TOP NINE, every one of them,
ended up in The Premiership

29 (30) Pukki (Went into Premiership – Norwich)
25 (26) Abraham (Went into Premiership – Chelsea)
25 (28) Maupay (Went into Premiership – West Ham)
23 (24) Gayle (Went into Premiership - Newcastle)
23 (24) Sharp (Went into Premiership- Sheffield United)
22 (22) Adams (Went into Premiership - Southampton)
22 (22) McBurnie (Went into Premiership – Sheffield United)
22 (22) Rodriguez (Went into Premiership - Burnley)

22 (22) Bowen (Went into Premiership – West Ham)

Bowen is particularly interesting

This season Bowen had scored 16 Championship goals - 17 goals in 31 appearances before going to West Ham January. He was clearly on target for 20+ but was too good for this league and moved upwards.

Doyle, Kitson, Long, the same thing.... scored a lot of Championship goals, went to Premiership

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Jul 2020 14:02

Snowflake Royal Have you even seen Joao play!?

Lots of times on the radio