by Hound » 19 Jul 2020 21:01

Not sure about East there Ian. Can’t see him playing for us again

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFI Follow Blackburn

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 21:03

Snowflake Royal
Simmops
Snowflake Royal To be fair I've said a few times I wouldn't mind getting rid of most the senior players and going for a mostly Academy XI

.....................Southwood
Yiadom, Morrison, McIntyre, Richards
..................Rinomhota, East
Meite, ...........Holsgrove, ............Olise
............................Joao

How much cheaper is that XI? Yeah, decent chance of a relegation but how much less painful would it be with those hundreds of thousands a week less on wages.

And actually, it's not throwing many people in at the deep end. Retains some experience. It shows just how close we are to a decent side at an affordable price. You don't need to make many changes for a really solidly competitive looking side.

And when we go down and the senior players oxf*rd off, would that lot really be good enough to get out of League 1?

With some additions and another crop coming through? Maybe. It'd certainly be a decent base we could build on and have the money to do it as a result.

At least we wouldn't be worried about going out of business entirely and watching losers make millions off failing for us.

I mean you could be right, and we do have one of the best academies about. Just really hope they aren't too lightweight for league 1,it is a though and physically hard league. I cannot remember a player who we've let out on loan that can come back and get in to the team you've said IF we go down to league 1. Maybe apart from Watson actually.

A few would also go, Morrison, Joao and Meite. Hope somebody like Osho, Watson, Macintyre and Rhino and Olise as you've said. In theory that's a good lot of young players but it lacks experience and grit which you need in that league.

Maybe McNulty could come back in?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jul 2020 21:05

Hound Not sure about East there Ian. Can’t see him playing for us again

Why not? I actually rate him quite a lot. Very lightweight but good technical little player.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Jul 2020 21:16

East is tidy enough but if he was going to make it then surely he would have been banging on the door in recent weeks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2020 21:18

Hound Not sure about East there Ian. Can’t see him playing for us again

No absolutely, but he's still here at the moment and a possibility at least. One of the weaker elements of the team, and of course we can't and won't do that.

But it's an example of how far we could go now, if we could find buyers, with no new signings.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jul 2020 13:38

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jul 2020 21:22

Simmops
Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal Ahh yeah. Well it's pretty obvious when you put it like that. Clearly the reason we haven't signed on a good experienced manager since Adkins is because we decided we'd prefer mostly inexperienced clowns.

Oh why couldn't we have seen that earlier and just picked someone good.

:roll:

That anyone is even talking about changing manager is a disgrace.

I'm happy being a disgrace if it means bringing in a manager with experience of running a team on a tight budget and with a bit of success behind them.
Incidentally check out the interview with Baldock yesterday on BBCRB. Interesting to read into some of the things he said. Apart from the axe to grind with Gomes, I get the impression things are not all rosey in the dressing room.

Out of the managers that are available now:

1) who would you take
2) who would realistically come here and IMPROVE things
3) who would even want to come here

I agree with Ian. He is right as usual. It is a flagrant disgrace that people are talking about changing managers.

Oh goody questions.....
1)Pearson, Ainsworth (as we should have done before Gomes), Clough
2)Mid/Lower League Championship side....Think Pearson would come, Clough possibly...after all, sh*t sides like Cardiff and Boro got Warnock......why wouldn't we be in for a shout.
3)See question 1......

How about this hypothetical question though......
If we hadn't offered Bowen a ridiculous contract extension would you keep him or look for a manager who is fresh and would look to try and rebuild this team? Or would you keep Bowen, who behind the scenes is part of this squad mess we have?
I did chuckle at Snowflake playing João up front as part of a new team........We will never get more than 10 games a season out of that bloke, utter waste, he had problems at Wednesday with injury and I would love to know the process involved in signing him and who had a say. Christ that was good business by Wednesday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2020 22:04

LOL at wanting to replace a guy who has moved us forward with a guy who has only ever managed at the lower leagues and had success at one club.

LOL at thinking Pearson would come near us, or that the psycho would work out here.

LOL at Clough who failed everywhere but Burton.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 21 Jul 2020 23:02

Ascotexgunner
Simmops
Ascotexgunner
I'm happy being a disgrace if it means bringing in a manager with experience of running a team on a tight budget and with a bit of success behind them.
Incidentally check out the interview with Baldock yesterday on BBCRB. Interesting to read into some of the things he said. Apart from the axe to grind with Gomes, I get the impression things are not all rosey in the dressing room.

1) who would you take

I agree with Ian. He is right as usual. It is a flagrant disgrace that people are talking about changing managers.

Oh goody questions.....
2)Mid/Lower League Championship side....Think Pearson would come, Clough possibly...after all, sh*t sides like Cardiff and Boro got Warnock......why wouldn't we be in for a shout.
3)See question 1......

If we hadn't offered Bowen a ridiculous contract extension would you keep him or look for a manager who is fresh and would look to try and rebuild this team? Or would you keep Bowen, who behind the scenes is part of this squad mess we have?
I did chuckle at Snowflake playing João up front as part of a new team........We will never get more than 10 games a season out of that bloke, utter waste, he had problems at Wednesday with injury and I would love to know the process involved in signing him and who had a say. Christ that was good business by Wednesday.

:|

I mean I don't know where to start with that post.

But imagine calling Cardiff shit. A team in the play offs :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jul 2020 23:03

Snowflake Royal LOL at wanting to replace a guy who has moved us forward with a guy who has only ever managed at the lower leagues and had success at one club.

LOL at thinking Pearson would come near us, or that the psycho would work out here.

What about a Mick McCarthy? The football would not be pretty but would be an upgrade on Mark Bowen. Ok he probably wouldn't come to us considering he's got the Ireland job but he could be a good fit in a year or 2.

Anyway why wouldn't Pearson come here? We've got a fantastic academy, some talented players but lack a system and style of play that suits them, we are near London, have a shiny state of the art new training ground and some forgiving fans largely compared to most clubs. Think these are some great reasons for a good manager to come here. Just because we've finished near the bottom of the championship for the past 3 seasons doesn't mean we aren't an attractive club. Millwall got Gary Rowett! So why couldn't we get Pearson?

I think we've tried going down the foreign management route and it's not really working for us. Bowen is a British manager but lacks experience although I'm sure he learned a lot off Mark Hughes.

I think he'll get the summer to build his own team whether we like it or not. I'm not overly happy with our home form but he probably deserves at least until December. If we improve at home and edge into the top half after 20 games next season then he's done a good job, if we are near the bottom we let him go with a fairly cheap pay off and get someone else in. Literally a replica of recent seasons but hey ho.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2020 23:19

There is no reason to sack Bowen, he's going nowhere.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 21 Jul 2020 23:21

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal LOL at wanting to replace a guy who has moved us forward with a guy who has only ever managed at the lower leagues and had success at one club.

What about a Mick McCarthy? The football would not be pretty but would be an upgrade on Mark Bowen. Ok he probably wouldn't come to us considering he's got the Ireland job but he could be a good fit in a year or 2.

Anyway why wouldn't Pearson come here? We've got a fantastic academy, some talented players but lack a system and style of play that suits them, we are near London, have a shiny state of the art new training ground and some forgiving fans largely compared to most clubs. Think these are some great reasons for a good manager to come here. Just because we've finished near the bottom of the championship for the past 3 seasons doesn't mean we aren't an attractive club. Millwall got Gary Rowett! So why couldn't we get Pearson?

I think we've tried going down the foreign management route and it's not really working for us. Bowen is a British manager but lacks experience although I'm sure he learned a lot off Mark Hughes.

I think he'll get the summer to build his own team whether we like it or not. I'm not overly happy with our home form but he probably deserves at least until December. If we improve at home and edge into the top half after 20 games next season then he's done a good job, if we are near the bottom we let him go with a fairly cheap pay off and get someone else in. Literally a replica of recent seasons but hey ho.

MICK MCCARTHY?! Are you high?

What next, Roy oxf*rd Keane?! Good god.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 00:32

Snowflake Royal There is no reason to sack Bowen, he's going nowhere.

Screenshotted for when Bowen gets sacked on Thursday.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Jul 2020 09:23

No reason for Bowen to go anywhere at the moment.

My prediction is if we're not top 8, let's say top 9 i.e. pushing for a playoff spot come Xmas there will be serious questions asked and he might be gone.

To me that was always clealry the plan HOWEVER covid might have changed all that if we're now just trying to steady the ship and stay midtable for a few years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2020 11:20

Only reason to consider sacking him is if we're back in the relegation mix - 17th and lower - consistently in the build up to Xmas.

Another season of 12th to 16th is fine, even if it'd be nice to push towards the POs.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Jul 2020 12:30

Agree, I won't be happy if we start sacking managers again for being mid-table and not close enough to the play-offs. When we're consistently in and around the upper reaches of the league then I think we can justify sacking a manager for being mid-table but not after several seasons of being in the relegation mix.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Jul 2020 12:33

Simmops
Ascotexgunner
Simmops

1) who would you take

Oh goody questions.....
3)See question 1......

Ummmm.....When Warnock got Cardiff they were definatly NOT a playoff team. They were hovering around the relegation zone.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 21:05

Ascotexgunner
Simmops
Ascotexgunner
Oh goody questions.....
3)See question 1......

Ummmm.....When Warnock got Cardiff they were definatly NOT a playoff team. They were hovering around the relegation zone.

VERY INTERESTING

When Warnock took over October 5th (11 games, 8 points, second bottom but same points as third bottom) they finished the season in 12th (62 Points) and Warnock was highly praised. Following season they were promoted with Warnock at the helm.

Bowen is COMPLETELY different

When BOWEN took over October 14th (11 games, 8 points third bottom) they finished the season in 15th (56 points) and Bowen was not exactly highly praised, in fact 40% say he should go.

OK so Bowen didn't do QUITE as well, but then Covid-19, club in financial poo, players on one-month contracts, loanees on the beach, long term injury to first choice RB, two sendings off in the last 5. I'd say that weren't that much different.