70%

Total votes: 107
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bowen, in or out?

by Hendo » 22 Jul 2020 23:05

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews It is, he isn't a football manager. Pretty obvious and you're massively in the minority amongst the wider fanbase. Enjoy being wrong.

How can you possible back up that assertion :lol:

On the wider fanbase not want Bowen? The only way anyone could do at this stage and that is reaction on social media, very much a negative response to Bowen this evening and over the past few weeks.

Tbh, I’d say that the majority of our fan base aren’t even on social media...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 23:08

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
genome

On the wider fanbase not want Bowen? The only way anyone could do at this stage and that is reaction on social media, very much a negative response to Bowen this evening and over the past few weeks.

Tbh, I’d say that the majority of our fan base aren’t even on social media...

But that is all one can go on in basing supporter reaction this soon after a game, I was merely answering the question.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jul 2020 23:10

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews It is, he isn't a football manager. Pretty obvious and you're massively in the minority amongst the wider fanbase. Enjoy being wrong.

Basing the consensus of a bunch of kneejerk bedwetters on Twitter as the opinion of the wider fanbase is a fool's errand

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Jul 2020 23:11

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Is he though? Or is it a case of those who are unhappy are shouting the loudest and most frequently, when everyone else is happy just to move on to next season?

See it all the time on Twitter, there are many more comments/tweets when we concede/lose than when we score/win.

Step forward Nigel Adkins.

Oh god! Probably not a bad shout if true though

Crowbar6753

Re: Bowen, Sack? Yes or no?

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Jul 2020 23:13

Waiting for Bowen's post match take on the match! seem's to be taking much longer than normal to post ...maybe he's been given the boot lol :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 23:14

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

Basing the consensus of a bunch of kneejerk bedwetters on Twitter as the opinion of the wider fanbase is a fool's errand

That is the only way to gauge reaction though. They aren't bedwetters, they just want better for the club they support. We can do better than Mark Bowen.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2020 23:14

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

I was trying to post similar but I think you've put it far better than I would have.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2020 23:17

People need to face facts. Bowen is not going anywhere. This was never his team and let’s be honest, ignoring last 3 games he has done a sound job. Lots to improve on in terms of tactics and home form, get them at right and with new personnel with people who want to be here it could be an exciting season.

He has done what was asked of him. Now, with contacts it’s his turn to get a transfer window and see what he can do.

Deserves that chance.

I repeat he is not going anywhere and people need to get over that fact.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2020 23:18

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews On the wider fanbase not want Bowen? The only way anyone could do at this stage and that is reaction on social media, very much a negative response to Bowen this evening and over the past few weeks.

That is the only way to gauge reaction though. They aren't bedwetters, they just want better for the club they support. We can do better than Mark Bowen.

Well, we've had enough attempts in the past 5 years and he's the best we've come up with. Kind of suggests the real problem has been upstairs.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Jul 2020 23:19, edited 2 times in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 23:18

paultheroyal People need to face facts. Bowen is not going anywhere. This was never his team and let’s be honest, ignoring last 3 games he has done a sound job. Lots to improve on in terms of tactics and home form, get them at right and with new personnel with people who want to be here it could be an exciting season.

He has done what was asked of him. Now, with contacts it’s his turn to get a transfer window and see what he can do.

Deserves that chance.

Much like your fellow Bowen lover Ian Royal this post has been screenshotted and will come back to haunt you in a few days time.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2020 23:20

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal People need to face facts. Bowen is not going anywhere. This was never his team and let’s be honest, ignoring last 3 games he has done a sound job. Lots to improve on in terms of tactics and home form, get them at right and with new personnel with people who want to be here it could be an exciting season.

Deserves that chance.

Much like your fellow Bowen lover Ian Royal this post has been screenshotted and will come back to haunt you in a few days time.

And I will take it on the chin. I would love a coppell comeback, a chris Hughton or even a Gareth Ainsworth but that’s is just not happening.

Don’t care what anyone says he has done a half decent job. Pressure is on, but I just can’t see him being removed from his position.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jul 2020 23:24

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews On the wider fanbase not want Bowen? The only way anyone could do at this stage and that is reaction on social media, very much a negative response to Bowen this evening and over the past few weeks.

The Reading FC Twitter fanbase is comprised of a bunch of regular tweeters amounting to probably a few hundred at most. Those are mostly 15 year olds with player avatars who don't know they're born to those disposed to moan at every single opportunity. I wouldn't pay them much attention.

Echo chambers are very real on social media, like-minded people congregate, those with differing opinions tend to give up and leave.
Last edited by genome on 22 Jul 2020 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2020 23:24

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews

Deserves that chance.

And I will take it on the chin. I would love a coppell comeback, a chris Hughton or even a Gareth Ainsworth but that’s is just not happening.

Don’t care what anyone says he has done a half decent job. Pressure is on, but I just can’t see him being removed from his position.

One thing I will say in his defence I believe he isn't in full control over signings or outgoings at the club, I am not entirely convinced he isn't told that certain players have to play. If this is the case then he probably won't go, he'd be a yes man who happens to train the team.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Jul 2020 23:28

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

It's also the kneejerk bedwetters on Facebook and on here too :wink:

Just kidding. I think Bowen upstairs and being in another manager.

Cowley brothers would be a good shout.

Live Fast Dai Yongge

by Live Fast Dai Yongge » 22 Jul 2020 23:38

We've just come off seasons of relegation battles. He came in when we looked destined for one again. Pulled us out of it and we've sat comfortably midtable most of the season. I think most of us would've been satisfied with that at the time of his hiring.

He's clearly identified in games where we've needed improvement - often the "gritty" part of the game. I think he'll continue to improve those foundations of our game. He's also said about wanting to bring in his own players and build his own philosophy into the team now - he's going to have to do that in a rushed off-season with big player turnovers and financial restraints. If he can keep us stable in the league for another season with all things considered... I'll be pleased with what he's established.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 22 Jul 2020 23:44

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews Much like your fellow Bowen lover Ian Royal this post has been screenshotted and will come back to haunt you in a few days time.

One thing I will say in his defence I believe he isn't in full control over signings or outgoings at the club, I am not entirely convinced he isn't told that certain players have to play. If this is the case then he probably won't go, he'd be a yes man who happens to train the team.

I tend to agree - "Yes man who trains the team" he is an inexperienced manager (ok with lots of number 2 experience) rubbing up against the board etc. I am of the opinion "agents" are guiding the owners who lap it up and tell Bowen/Howe what to do.

Don't think Bowen is a DOF either.

Not convinced the owners are right for us 1) too much money 2) too far away - we are a basketcase of a club and that starts at the top

However - I vote to keep - we need to have stability and maybe the approach will change with less intereference, and Bowen gains more experience in the role
Last edited by fred sharpes nose on 22 Jul 2020 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Jul 2020 23:46

The formula post lockdown was just awful. Players out of contract staying on. Part playing part not playing. Not going up not going down... all a mess. Almost need to ignore this period.

He’s talking tonight of significant changes. Double digit players leaving, exciting young talent coming in, new style of football....

Give him that chance.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Jul 2020 00:04

After the win at Charlton the players switched off. Hardly surprising. How many players that featured in the squad against Swansea will be gone by the start of next season. 7/8/9/10?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 23 Jul 2020 00:26

I wanted Bowen out but let’s look at the squad he had today. He had Yiadom out all post lockdown, Moore was in the worst form I’ve ever seen him in when played at centre back, we have no holding midfielder meaning a horrendously unbalanced midfield, Ejaria being out hindered our creativity massively, our wingers are dreadful and we have no players similar to João who is crucial to the system. On top of that he has half the squad leaving and all probably disinterested due to our season being over- Sam Baldock and the gaffer both implied a lot of players will be leaving.

I am one of his biggest critics but today gave me that reality check. Give him the summer at least, he goes if it backfires. Realistically if we go down because of it, it’s been coming for a number of years now. 16/17 was the odd season, but other than that we achieved our highest finish since 2014 this evening despite the awful awful start we had.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jul 2020 00:52

From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews
genome

Well, we've had enough attempts in the past 5 years and he's the best we've come up with. Kind of suggests the real problem has been upstairs.

Not sure you can argue Bowen has done better than Stam did