Total votes: 107
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bowen, Sack? Yes or no?

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 10:00

Elm Park Kid
NewCorkSeth
Elm Park Kid
I didn't understand why Bowen was appointed to begin with. But then I wasn't sure why we went with Gomes or (to a lesser extent) Clement. If your policy is to spend ££££ on player wages, why not take a cut of that and bring in the most experienced manager you can. It might have shifted the mentality at the club a bit is a 'big name' came in an installed a bit more optimise.

But I 100% disagree with firing a manager after less than a full season based on football results/performances alone. Unless he's committing fraud or banging someone he should be, a manager should always be given a full season.

Whats wrong with banging someone you should be banging?

*shouldn't be

Firing someone for banging someone they shouldn't be would mean Kingsley should have gotten the sack a long time ago.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 11:36

I'm encouraged by Bowen's comments about next season. I know (and as he says), the talking bit is easy, but he is clearly watching the same game as us, and not trying to necessarily defend some of our performances

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Jul 2020 12:39

Hound I'm encouraged by Bowen's comments about next season. I know (and as he says), the talking bit is easy, but he is clearly watching the same game as us, and not trying to necessarily defend some of our performances

To be fair, even Adkins couldn't defend some of our performances this season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 12:48

I’m sure he’d try

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jul 2020 13:46

I don't dislike Bowen but as with players, if someone better comes along or a better fit for the way we operate then we should explore those options.

I personally don't think we'll end up with anyone better because they will have to work with the same constraints, possibly even tighter than they are now with the club likely having to sell some big players and reduce spending to remain within FFP rules

There is also the disruption a new manager brings as they want to adapt the squad to fit their preferred style of play and bring in new faces. We can't necessarily afford new faces (or to pay off Bowen/sign a presumably better and therefore better paid manager) and it will be a risk. Just look at Brendan Rogers.

Finally, we can't afford to sack Bowen now, have a new manager in and then sack them if they get off to a bad start. We should give Bowen a full pre-season to get his team together and see how he gets on - the stats pre-Covid-19 were quite favourable, particularly away from home. It just needs issues identified and fixed rather than a full rebuilt. (post-Covid is/was poor but these were strange times)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2020 13:55

To be honest short of Klopp or Guardiola deciding they want to have a real lower division challenge on a pittance there isn’t anyone who I think would get everyone excited. Hughton looks like he’s off to Bristol City and Ainsworth, rightly, I don’t think would want to jump ship sideways after getting Wycombe up so who else is there? Plus anyone new has to get to know the squad and may want to instill different playing ethos etc.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 16:55

Hound
Stranded
Old Man Andrews What a load of drivel.

Not Snowball's biggest fan but there is some sense to that timeline despite the usual assumptions, what is your realistic alternative?

I don't agree with this:

That leaves us with a team that will do well to finish out of the bottom three.

We should have plenty enough even with those players leaving as long as we can get some good solid freebies in. There will be some absolute dross in the division next year

So a team that would have finished 12th

Then get rid of Miazga, Moore, Gunter from defence

Lose Pele, Swift, Ejaria from midfield

Lose Puscas and Meite from attack

I said IF THIS HAPPENS, we will do well to avoid relegation

Note again, I said IF THIS HAPPENS

==================

Separately Zive said that this squad AS IT IS (incl Ejaria) would finish 8th or better

Lose ALL the players mentioned and only replace SOME, with replacements very likely to be inferior because of money spent/wages and we are virtually certain to be fighting relegation

By what logic do you think something different?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 17:23

Old Man Andrews
Stranded

Not Snowball's biggest fan but there is some sense to that timeline despite the usual assumptions, what is your realistic alternative?

It will be a struggle next season and we need to rebuild from the bottom up.

We are more than capable as s club to comfortably finish midtable next season, we shouldn't aspire to narrowly miss out on relegation as Snowball suggests.

The guy has never criticised the team or a manager once, he is slightly delusional and thinks supporting the club means he cannot criticise the club. His sycophantic nonsense is really annoying to read.

You, OMA are just WEIRD. You say yourself “It will be a struggle next season” then attack me for saying the same thing.

You say I, or the club are ASPRING to just avoid relegation

NO, I “aspire” to win the league with 110 points while also winning the FA Cup and win The League Cup with our under 23s

BUT, what I actually said was this manager OR ANY OTHER MANAGER will do well to avoid relegation if we lose all our top performers.

I stand by that!

I wasn’t referring to Bowen specifically. I am simply saying that IF we lose all the players mooted to go, and have little money for replacements, we will probably be expected finish bottom six

This is a transitional season (if what we are hearing about a fire sale is true) and the coming season will be high risk an going down ought to be a real possibility

WHOEVER is manager will have done a good job if we stay up

As for being a sycophant, I have lived a long life and for 99.99% of the time I’ve been called the opposite, always challenging the status quo, anti-authority (including being court martialled and imprisoned for refusing punishment

Ont one drong in 70 years has called me a sycophant. Welcome to a club of one

=======

And IN THIS THREAD I actually said, “I am not jumping with joy” over Bowen.

You have a bizarre view of “sycophant”

Look it up in the dictionary

It’s between sh!t and syphillis

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 17:24

Old Man Andrews
Stranded

We are more than capable as s club to comfortably finish midtable next season, we shouldn't aspire to narrowly miss out on relegation as Snowball suggests.

The guy has never criticised the team or a manager once, he is slightly delusional and thinks supporting the club means he cannot criticise the club. His sycophantic nonsense is really annoying to read.

You, OMA are just WEIRD. You say yourself “It will be a struggle next season” then attack me for saying the same thing.

NO, I “aspire” to win the league with 110 points while also winning the FA Cup and win The League Cup with our under 23s

BUT, what I actually said was this manager OR ANY OTHER MANAGER will do well to avoid relegation if we lose all our top performers.

I stand by that!

I wasn’t referring to Bowen specifically. I am simply saying that IF we lose all the players mooted to go, and have little money for replacements, we will probably be expected finish bottom six

This is a transitional season (if what we are hearing about a fire sale is true) and the coming season will be high risk an going down ought to be a real possibility

As for being a sycophant, I have lived a long life and for 99.99% of the time I’ve been called the opposite, always challenging the status quo, anti-authority (including being court martialled and imprisoned for refusing punishment

=======

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jul 2020 17:45

Snowball
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

I stand by that!

=======

Type in a normal fashion and you will get a response.

You're unhinged.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2020 18:18

Feeling better from the look of it snowball

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 19:53

Old Man Andrews
Type in a normal fashion and you will get a response.

You're unhinged.

Clearly I am now in another dimension. OMA telling someone he's unhinged.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Jul 2020 19:57

Hound Feeling better from the look of it snowball

Hi Hound

Better, maybe, but only better than, "I think I'm going to die"

Post Covid is a bitch, you get days when you really think you've turned the
corner only to crash again. This day five of reasonable, a new record

Mind you got cheered up today. A mate's wife asked me if I was older
or younger than her husband.

He's THIRTEEN years younger than me.

Then I was invited to play football on Sunday by a group of 18 year old refugees.

True, they are blind, but...

OldBiscuit

Re: Bowen, in or out?

by OldBiscuit » 24 Jul 2020 22:15

Old Man Andrews
Hound The club is a shambles. He kept us up comfortably

It’s not even close to being a debate

It is, he isn't a football manager. Pretty obvious and you're massively in the minority amongst the wider fanbase. Enjoy being wrong.

Not the minority.

OldBiscuit

Re: Bowen, in or out?

by OldBiscuit » 24 Jul 2020 22:18

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews It is, he isn't a football manager. Pretty obvious and you're massively in the minority amongst the wider fanbase. Enjoy being wrong.

Is he though? Or is it a case of those who are unhappy are shouting the loudest and most frequently, when everyone else is happy just to move on to next season?

See it all the time on Twitter, there are many more comments/tweets when we concede/lose than when we score/win.

Nobody wanted Bowen in the first place, he has been under pressure from the moment he gave himself the job.
The need for change isn't based purely on results, it is about signs of progression, team selection, woeful substitutions, playing style. We will have a lot of young player in our squad next season, we need someone who has both experience of building a team around youth and dealing with financial constraints.

Step forward Nigel Adkins.

Nobody wanted Bowen? Speak for yourself asthole!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Jul 2020 09:30

Big summer ahead, for the club and for Bowen. Just hope we see significant progress in changing the team and getting wage bill down