928 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season 20/21

by Hound » 20 Aug 2020 16:30

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Pepe the Horseman I love iFollow.

Given all the hassle and cost in getting to games, and how shit they are once you get there most the time, I'm coming round to it as better than going.

It’s a very poor second best surely ?
Ok, if you live a long way away it’s a compromise but if we are allowed back in I personally would feel almost ashamed to watch the games on ifollow. If I didn’t go in person Ican’t see a situation I’d watch them. I’ve been going to games for a huge percentage of my life and it’s live football or nothing, as it always has been .

I think similar. I dont really go to watch the football as such. tbh I don't watch a lot of footy on TV generally. You go for those moments - the last minute winners, the referee doing something stupid, the handball appeals etc, the crappy goal conceded that you can see coming a mile off...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Aug 2020 16:41

Hound
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Given all the hassle and cost in getting to games, and how shit they are once you get there most the time, I'm coming round to it as better than going.

Ok, if you live a long way away it’s a compromise but if we are allowed back in I personally would feel almost ashamed to watch the games on ifollow. If I didn’t go in person Ican’t see a situation I’d watch them. I’ve been going to games for a huge percentage of my life and it’s live football or nothing, as it always has been .

I think similar. I dont really go to watch the football as such. tbh I don't watch a lot of footy on TV generally. You go for those moments - the last minute winners, the referee doing something stupid, the handball appeals etc, the crappy goal conceded that you can see coming a mile off...

I’ve always Likened following a football team to reading a book.
Each game is a page, the details of each game are words. Each season is a chapter. Even crap games and dull seasons contribute to the narrative. I’ve watched more bad games than good but without the bad I don’t think the good ones would mean as much.
Games on the tv don’t engage me at all, they almost don’t register on my version of RFC history. I didn’t go to the away leg of the Fulham playoff semi and didn’t watch it so really gave no recollection of it.
Purely my view of being a supporter and not suggesting other views aren’t equally valid but it will be at the ground or nothing for me. Probably won’tbother With ifollow even short term, it’s third hand and unengaging.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Aug 2020 16:53

I enjoy going with my lad. The drive to the game. Then at Mereoak jnr tells me the team at 2pm. Then onto the bus from Mereoak to the ground. On arrival getting food outside the stadium before going to our seats and meeting old friends we have set next to many times.

Then as a group reacting to the good,bad and indifferent as part of a community. The banter, the swearing, the disappointment, delight and frustration of that ninety odd minutes where you switch off from life’s problems.
Before making our way back to Mereoak and hopefully getting back to the car in time to hear Dellor interviewing the manager of the day as we make our way back to the Cotswolds.

I love it and watching on iFollow just does not compare.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 20 Aug 2020 17:23

As an exile, iFollow is brilliant & well priced at £10
Not as good as going for the locals...but then is there any point if you can’t chant or sing? And how are they going to police that?

Will any away fans be allowed to go? If not, it gives a big advantage to the home side

Only got one ground to tick off which is Norwich, so hopefully that will come later in the season

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Aug 2020 17:28

Notts Royal As an exile, iFollow is brilliant & well priced at £10
Not as good as going for the locals...but then is there any point if you can’t chant or sing? And how are they going to police that?

Will any away fans be allowed to go? If not, it gives a big advantage to the home side

Only got one ground to tick off which is Norwich, so hopefully that will come later in the season

Not sure there’s will actually be a bacon singing, but event there is it hard.y makes going to the game pointless !
Lack of away fans would make zero difference in terms of advantage.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2020 17:46

Nameless
Hound
Nameless

Each game is a page, the details of each game are words. Each season is a chapter. Even crap games and dull seasons contribute to the narrative. I’ve watched more bad games than good but without the bad I don’t think the good ones would mean as much.
Games on the tv don’t engage me at all, they almost don’t register on my version of RFC history. I didn’t go to the away leg of the Fulham playoff semi and didn’t watch it so really gave no recollection of it.
Purely my view of being a supporter and not suggesting other views aren’t equally valid but it will be at the ground or nothing for me. Probably won’tbother With ifollow even short term, it’s third hand and unengaging.

I go for the football and the atmosphere.

But when it's a minimum 5 hour travel time round trip, more like 6 or 7, plus more than double the ticket price in travel costs, combined with shit football and shit atmosphere all too often, I'll take the sofa + 6 hours and £40 thanks.

And none of the guys I used to go with still do.

It's a pretty easy decision especially with an increased chance of death.

9 months ago I'd have agreed going is far superior though.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 19:41

Zip I enjoy going with my lad. The drive to the game. Then at Mereoak jnr tells me the team at 2pm. Then onto the bus from Mereoak to the ground. On arrival getting food outside the stadium before going to our seats and meeting old friends we have set next to many times.

Then as a group reacting to the good,bad and indifferent as part of a community. The banter, the swearing, the disappointment, delight and frustration of that ninety odd minutes where you switch off from life’s problems.
Before making our way back to Mereoak and hopefully getting back to the car in time to hear Dellor interviewing the manager of the day as we make our way back to the Cotswolds.

I love it and watching on iFollow just does not compare.

Well said, sir!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2020 21:03

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Hound

I go for the football and the atmosphere.

But when it's a minimum 5 hour travel time round trip, more like 6 or 7, plus more than double the ticket price in travel costs, combined with shit football and shit atmosphere all too often, I'll take the sofa + 6 hours and £40 thanks.

And none of the guys I used to go with still do.

It's a pretty easy decision especially with an increased chance of death.

9 months ago I'd have agreed going is far superior though.

Oh don’t blame you. Like you say that journey for a 30% full ground and some of the gash served up over the last couple of years. I’d certainly think very hard about it

10 minute drive for me so a different matter altogether

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 20 Aug 2020 22:03

I understand everyone’s opinion.

But, if the past couple of seasons we played fast, exciting football with a team who really played for each other and the club, scoring goals and winning games, in the top six etc then I’m sure our feelings may be different.

The restricted attendance, lack of atmosphere, ‘risk’ of the covids are all valid of course but I think years of turgid football with rare home wins, just seven last season I think is a bigger driver behind apathy, but of course it’s all individual.

Having moved away, I am 50miles now from Reading. I would gladly go More regularly if we had a team Playing good football and winnings games, whatever the attendance and atmosphere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2020 22:27

Quality is 100% a factor.

Our 1 good season in the last, like 8, is the one I missed. It's a real shit show otherwise.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Aug 2020 08:47

Fixtures out in ten minutes :?:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Aug 2020 08:48

LUX Fixtures out in ten minutes :?:

I make it 12 minutes.

EDIT - when did the HNA? clock get sorted? That thing used to be way out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2020 09:03

Derby away to start.

September/October is a run of very winnable fixtures. Will know a lot about where we stand by the beginning of November.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Aug 2020 09:05

Wayne Rooney away up first then, tough game to begin with as I can see Derby doing well next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Aug 2020 09:11

Don't think Derby are especially good

Just running through the fixtures, its noticeable how much more local the games are. Some good derbies in there. Shame we won't be allowed to watch them though

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 21 Aug 2020 09:16

Probably lose those first 5 games

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Aug 2020 09:16

Old Man Andrews Wayne Rooney away up first then, tough game to begin with as I can see Derby doing well next season.

Thought it was going to be Millwall?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Aug 2020 09:20

Hendo
Old Man Andrews Wayne Rooney away up first then, tough game to begin with as I can see Derby doing well next season.

Apologies for not accurately predicting the first fixture out of the multiple options there were, shame on me.

Try not to be so literal/autistic.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Aug 2020 09:22

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Apologies for not accurately predicting the first fixture out of the multiple options there were, shame on me.

You just seemed so confident that was going to be the case... "you heard it here first" etc...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Aug 2020 09:25

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

You just seemed so confident that was going to be the case... "you heard it here first" etc...

Well I actually meant I thought it would be our first home game in February 2021, I was technically right.

928 posts