Season 20/21

928 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Season 20/21

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 13:05

tidus_mi2
Simon's Church Dear lord, what a sad little life Mr Dai. You ruined our club, completely, just so you could own some land. I hope now you wil take your money spend it on getting some lessons in grace and decorum because you have all the grace of a reversing dump trunk without any tyres on

I don't see this being about the land, don't the Thais still own it? The Chinese have pumped way too much into the club for it to be just about the land.

It all started with Zingarevich. SJM took the club as far as he could and wanted a safe custodian to take us to the next level. Turns out AZ had no money without his Dad and it's basically been crisis after crisis since 2013. Can't blame SJM; we all thought AZ was great news at the time and we only looked attractive to super rich owners because of SJM's tenure.

The Dais are frustrating, as they appear to have the means and intentions to turn this around. But they're clueless.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2020 13:17

WestYorksRoyal
tidus_mi2
Simon's Church Dear lord, what a sad little life Mr Dai. You ruined our club, completely, just so you could own some land. I hope now you wil take your money spend it on getting some lessons in grace and decorum because you have all the grace of a reversing dump trunk without any tyres on

I don't see this being about the land, don't the Thais still own it? The Chinese have pumped way too much into the club for it to be just about the land.

It all started with Zingarevich. SJM took the club as far as he could and wanted a safe custodian to take us to the next level. Turns out AZ had no money without his Dad and it's basically been crisis after crisis since 2013. Can't blame SJM; we all thought AZ was great news at the time and we only looked attractive to super rich owners because of SJM's tenure.

The Dais are frustrating, as they appear to have the means and intentions to turn this around. But they're clueless.

He's hardly spent/wasted all that money for a poxy car park on the edge of Whitley

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Aug 2020 13:21

Franconian Royal I’m not going to believe anything the Torygraph prints. Like someone has said, it’ might be lazy journalism. Is there another reliable source? Perhaps The Guardian sports twitter feed has something. Can anyone help? I don’t have Twitter and nor do I intend to sign up to twitter.

Discovered recently that you don't have to be signed up to Twitter to read what is being posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=%23 ... ery&f=live

This should being back all the public posts tagged with #readingfc without you needing to have an account.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 13:22

Are you ok?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Aug 2020 14:16

Aleksandar Stanojević was at PAOK for about two months and the club lost the friendlies it played but won through in the two competitive games played which were in the Europa League qualifying round. There were rumours of dressing room disharmony being behind his leaving but it looks like he got them results when it mattered.

His current value as a manager really stems from his time as manager of a Partizan between 2010 and 2012 where he won the double and got the club to qualify for the Champions League group stages. In the season he left the club were quite away ahead in the league at the halfway stage but had failed to qualify for that seasons CL group stages which became a “political” issue behind the scenes and resulted in his dismissal despite outcries from the supporters.

Overall he’s been reasonably successful at most of the clubs he’s managed but of the last 4 clubs (Beijing Rehne, Al-Qadsiah and Maccabi Haifa) have been a bit of a damp squib and the other was PAOK which you can argue either way.

Uninteresting fact, if appointed he would be the first Reading manager with a cyrillic alternative spelling for his name: Александар Станојевић

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2020 14:39

If this new guy does come in, then his record isn't unlike Jokanovic's before he joined Watford (who he got promoted). Few random clubs, mostly let go because of poor results. Similar record at Partizan as well.

Partizan
Jokanović was living in Madrid when, in September 2007, he joined the technical staff of Tercera División club CA Pinto. However, three months later, he became the head coach of Partizan, replacing Miroslav Đukić who left to take the reins of the national team. His family (wife and three children) remained in the Spanish capital.[12]

In May 2008, under Jokanović's management, Partizan won the double (league and cup). He was also selected as the year's "Best Coach in Serbia" by the Football Association of Serbia, but refused to receive this award due to Partizan's poor results in the group stage of the UEFA Cup.[13]

Jokanović led Partizan to another double in his first full season, winning the league by a margin of 19 points over former team Vojvodina. Thus, he became the first coach in the club's history to successfully defend the accolades; on 5 September 2009, however, he left the post by mutual consent, bidding farewell through an open letter.[14]

Thailand / Bulgaria / Spain[edit]
On 28 February 2012, Muangthong United F.C. introduced Jokanović as their new head coach, and he signed a one-year contract with an option for a further two years.[15] In his first and only season, he led the team to the third Thai Premier League title in their history, going undefeated in the process.[16]

In mid-July 2013, Jokanović replaced Nikolay Mitov as manager of Bulgarian team PFC Levski Sofia.[17] He was relieved of his duties in October, due to poor results, but club supporters claimed that he should have been given time to change things around.[18]

On 5 May 2014, Spain's Hércules CF appointed Jokanović as coach until the end of the season, replacing Quique Hernández who had been sacked with the team in last place in the Segunda División table.[19] He only managed one win in his five matches in charge, in an eventual relegation.[20]

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Aug 2020 14:51

2 weeks until the season starts. Perfect timing yet again. Hardly surprising players don't want to stay. Atmosphere must be unsettling.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2020 15:20

Hendo If this new guy does come in, then his record isn't unlike Jokanovic's before he joined Watford (who he got promoted). Few random clubs, mostly let go because of poor results. Similar record at Partizan as well.

Partizan
Jokanović was living in Madrid when, in September 2007, he joined the technical staff of Tercera División club CA Pinto. However, three months later, he became the head coach of Partizan, replacing Miroslav Đukić who left to take the reins of the national team. His family (wife and three children) remained in the Spanish capital.[12]

In May 2008, under Jokanović's management, Partizan won the double (league and cup). He was also selected as the year's "Best Coach in Serbia" by the Football Association of Serbia, but refused to receive this award due to Partizan's poor results in the group stage of the UEFA Cup.[13]

Jokanović led Partizan to another double in his first full season, winning the league by a margin of 19 points over former team Vojvodina. Thus, he became the first coach in the club's history to successfully defend the accolades; on 5 September 2009, however, he left the post by mutual consent, bidding farewell through an open letter.[14]

On 28 February 2012, Muangthong United F.C. introduced Jokanović as their new head coach, and he signed a one-year contract with an option for a further two years.[15] In his first and only season, he led the team to the third Thai Premier League title in their history, going undefeated in the process.[16]

In mid-July 2013, Jokanović replaced Nikolay Mitov as manager of Bulgarian team PFC Levski Sofia.[17] He was relieved of his duties in October, due to poor results, but club supporters claimed that he should have been given time to change things around.[18]

On 5 May 2014, Spain's Hércules CF appointed Jokanović as coach until the end of the season, replacing Quique Hernández who had been sacked with the team in last place in the Segunda División table.[19] He only managed one win in his five matches in charge, in an eventual relegation.[20]

If anything the potential new guy had a better record at Partizan - did check the similarities myself earlier and was pretty taken by how their career paths had mirrored each other. If Stanojevic can have the same impact as Jokanovic had at Watford (similar age to come to England as well, 46) then great.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2020 15:30

Stranded
Hendo If this new guy does come in, then his record isn't unlike Jokanovic's before he joined Watford (who he got promoted). Few random clubs, mostly let go because of poor results. Similar record at Partizan as well.

Partizan

If anything the potential new guy had a better record at Partizan - did check the similarities myself earlier and was pretty taken by how their career paths had mirrored each other. If Stanojevic can have the same impact as Jokanovic had at Watford (similar age to come to England as well, 46) then great.

Yeah I was curious as well as didn't know anything about Jokanovic before he came to Watford as was quite taken aback by the similarity of their records. Obviously Stanojevic has had a few more clubs, but there are certainly similarities.

You're right about the Patizan comparison as well, Stanojevic got them to the Champions League group stages, which they had to get through 3 rounds to get to, beating Anderlecht in the last round, which is pretty impressive tbf.

Both managers also seem to have very good relationship with fans, regardless of results.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2020 15:30

If Bowen is much more hands on and stays as DoF to help him adapt then I'd be more optimistic

Its just a shot in the dark. Of course all appointments are to an extent but it seems a big gamble to take

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 15:47

This guy on twitter is often ITK.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieRFC7/st ... 9738227712

Claiming FFP will be frozen this season, presumably due to Covid. Would make sense for Howe to step into a non-exec role if so, to avoid any hint of a conflict of interest. I mean, questionable for him to have been on EFL Board and Reading CEO all this time when you think about it.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 25 Aug 2020 15:59

WestYorksRoyal This guy on twitter is often ITK.

Claiming FFP will be frozen this season, presumably due to Covid. Would make sense for Howe to step into a non-exec role if so, to avoid any hint of a conflict of interest. I mean, questionable for him to have been on EFL Board and Reading CEO all this time when you think about it.

Why would FFP being frozen mean a conflict of interest? There are always 6 club representatives on the EFL board, Howe is 1 of 3 from the championship.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 25 Aug 2020 18:00

I saw that Norwich flew out to Germany the other day, thought to myself that it’s great that we have opted to stay home and Bowen can really work on the team.

Fast forward 48hrs - we are all of a sudden off to Portugal for 10 days, CEO pushed aside, Bowen has been pushed upstairs; an incoming manager and rumours of the purse strings loosening.

:|
Last edited by royalp-we on 25 Aug 2020 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2020 18:03

WestYorksRoyal This guy on twitter is often ITK.

Essentially what I posted this morning.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 18:07

royalp-we I saw that Norwich flew out to Germany the other day, thought to myself that it’s great that we have opted to stay home and Bowen can really work on the team.

Fast forward 48hrs - we are all of a sudden off to Portugal for 10 days, CEO pushed aside, Bowen has been pushed upstairs; an incoming manager and rumours of the purse strings loosening.

:|

Quite unbelievable, well sadly not for Reading

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 19:31

So the players aren’t training tomorrow as no ones knows who will be taking it. And we have last minute just booked a 10 day Portugal tour leaving Friday. Putting the spurs game and all the remaining friendliest in jeopardy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 19:36

WoodleyRoyal So the players aren’t training tomorrow as no ones knows who will be taking it. And we have last minute just booked a 10 day Portugal tour leaving Friday. Putting the spurs game and all the remaining friendliest in jeopardy.

I'd quite like us to be relegated this season, it would be well deserved.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 Aug 2020 19:56

Lower West 2 weeks until the season starts. Perfect timing yet again. Hardly surprising players don't want to stay. Atmosphere must be unsettling.

And now the club has just announced a 10 day training camp in Portugal, flying out Friday 28th August! Who will run that - Gilkesy?
https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reading-fc-manager-latest-bowen-18827817

So who will turn out for us in the Spurs and Sham friendlies? And more importantly the Carabao cup game on 5th Sept? I'm assuming they squad won;t have to quarantined for 14 days when they get back! Which of course is naive in the extreme.

What a oxf*rd "club".

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 20:17

I know what it is. I’m asleep and I am dreaming all of this! It can’t actually be real

Surely?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2020 20:19

Saw this on twitter, take out his last 2, probably 3 as he was only there for 2 games, and his record is fine in the leagues he has been in.

928 posts