Season 20/21

928 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Season 20/21

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 18:46

Pepe the Horseman Ya man Courtney Friday reporting that Jordan Holsgrove is going to Celta. Hopefully just a loan, otherwise shit gon go off.

Fake journalist Courtney Friday is hopefully wrong about this. Would have liked Holsgrove as part of the squad for the upcoming season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2020 20:03

I know literally nothing about Holsgrove as a player, so yeah, if he goes good luck. If he stays, good luck.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Sep 2020 20:57

Looked somewhat lightweight to play at Championship level during the recent two televised friendlies. Only 20. Time on his side.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2020 21:18

I have been mightily pissed off over the the years when we have chucked away our best young academy players without giving them a proper chance only to sign a bunch of over-priced punts on big wages who had no affiliation for the club who inevitably flopped.

But habits are hard to break and without supporting in person I have kept following the club through the ups and downs.

I think if Holsgrove goes, that’s it, I’m done.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Sep 2020 22:52

Royal Rother I think if Holsgrove goes, that’s it, I’m done.

The players themselves will be focussing on their own futures.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Sep 2020 23:47

Royal Rother I have been mightily pissed off over the the years when we have chucked away our best young academy players without giving them a proper chance only to sign a bunch of over-priced punts on big wages who had no affiliation for the club who inevitably flopped.

But habits are hard to break and without supporting in person I have kept following the club through the ups and downs.

We lost Ian for a couple of days but he’s back and now you....? What a year 2020 has become, just messed up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2020 09:21

Royal Rother I have been mightily pissed off over the the years when we have chucked away our best young academy players without giving them a proper chance only to sign a bunch of over-priced punts on big wages who had no affiliation for the club who inevitably flopped.

Why Holsgrove? What has he done to date that would make his sale such a mistake? I've honestly not seen or heard anything about him that suggests he is the missing piece of the puzzle. He is a central midfielder is he not, so where would he fit in to the current midfield - would he oust Academy graduate Andy Rinohmota from a more central role - block the path of Olise in a more forward midfield berth? Would he be a better option that John Swift, who has arguably been our stand out player for 2 years or is he a better fit than Ejaria?

Was the signing of Laurent a mistake in your mind and we should not have moved to bring him in on a free but instead push Holsgrove into that position?

Player for player midfield is pretty decent here, we just haven't found the right way of playing to best utilise the players we have but if Holsgrove was good enough now he would be in that mix - he isn't and if a decent bid has been received from Celta Vigo for him then probably best for all parties for him to move on - the Spanish league may suit him better and he may well feel himself that developing away from Reading now makes the most sense, where he won't be compared to his Dad amongst other things.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2020 09:27

Holsgrove only really appeared on my radar last pre-season. He looked good to be fair, but I can fully understand why a move to Celta would be very appealing for him

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2020 09:33

Royal Rother I think if Holsgrove goes, that’s it, I’m done.

You should wear pampers at night time, you're wetting the bed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2020 09:37

Hound Holsgrove only really appeared on my radar last pre-season. He looked good to be fair, but I can fully understand why a move to Celta would be very appealing for him

It would be a move that should appeal to any player of his age especially having been in Spain for a year. It will be interesting* if it comes off, if Celta want him as a first team squad member now or if he will be shunted off to the B team, who play at the same level he played at last season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Sep 2020 09:39

Have to say I thought Holsgrove looked decidedly average from what we saw in pre-season, so I'm not sure I understand the hand-wringing

He might have been a useful squad player if we'd gone down the direction it looked like we were a few weeks ago, but if they're trying to build a team capable of promotion then I don't think he's the answer

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 Sep 2020 12:02

Stranded Why Holsgrove? What has he done to date that would make his sale such a mistake? I've honestly not seen or heard anything about him that suggests he is the missing piece of the puzzle. He is a central midfielder is he not, so where would he fit in to the current midfield - would he oust Academy graduate Andy Rinohmota from a more central role - block the path of Olise in a more forward midfield berth? Would he be a better option that John Swift, who has arguably been our stand out player for 2 years or is he a better fit than Ejaria?

Holsgrove does seem to be the best fit as a back-up Swift. I'm not sure any others have quite the same range of passing, except maybe Olise - but I'm not sure you'd want him in the deeper role. I think we need to bring in another DM anyway, so Holsgrove going isn't too much of an issue as long as that happens.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 04 Sep 2020 12:17

Squad numbers are out:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/s ... or-2020-21

Reading Football Club Squad Numbers 2020-21

1 Sam Walker
3 Omar Richards
4 Michael Morrison
5 Tom McIntyre
6 Liam Moore
7 Michael Olise
8 Andy Rinomhota
9 Sam Baldock
10 John Swift
11 Yakou Meite
12 Marc McNulty
14 Ovie Ejaria
17 Andy Yiadom
18 Lucas Joao
20 Felipe Araruna
22 Luke Southwood
24 Sone Aluko
28 Josh Laurent
29 Tom Holmes
33 Rafael Cabral
34 Dejan Tetek
35 Imari Samuels
36 Nelson Abbey
37 Nahum Melvin-Lambert
40 Jokull Andresson
47 George Puscas

*Squad numbers remain subject to change throughout the 2020-21 season.

Most players have kept their previous numbers though Meite is now 11
4 goalkeepers
A couple of new names at 34-37

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Sep 2020 12:25

morganb Squad numbers are out:

1 Sam Walker
3 Omar Richards
4 Michael Morrison
5 Tom McIntyre
6 Liam Moore
7 Michael Olise
8 Andy Rinomhota
9 Sam Baldock
10 John Swift
11 Yakou Meite
12 Marc McNulty
14 Ovie Ejaria
17 Andy Yiadom
18 Lucas Joao
20 Felipe Araruna
22 Luke Southwood
24 Sone Aluko
28 Josh Laurent
29 Tom Holmes
33 Rafael Cabral
34 Dejan Tetek
35 Imari Samuels
36 Nelson Abbey
37 Nahum Melvin-Lambert
40 Jokull Andresson
47 George Puscas

4 goalkeepers

Holsgrove is missing though

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2020 12:27

linkenholtroyal

1 Sam Walker
3 Omar Richards
4 Michael Morrison
5 Tom McIntyre
6 Liam Moore
7 Michael Olise
8 Andy Rinomhota
9 Sam Baldock
10 John Swift
11 Yakou Meite
12 Marc McNulty
14 Ovie Ejaria
17 Andy Yiadom
18 Lucas Joao
20 Felipe Araruna
22 Luke Southwood
24 Sone Aluko
28 Josh Laurent
29 Tom Holmes
33 Rafael Cabral
34 Dejan Tetek
35 Imari Samuels
36 Nelson Abbey
37 Nahum Melvin-Lambert
40 Jokull Andresson
47 George Puscas

4 goalkeepers

Because he is being sold. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2020 12:38

kwik-silva
Stranded Why Holsgrove? What has he done to date that would make his sale such a mistake? I've honestly not seen or heard anything about him that suggests he is the missing piece of the puzzle. He is a central midfielder is he not, so where would he fit in to the current midfield - would he oust Academy graduate Andy Rinohmota from a more central role - block the path of Olise in a more forward midfield berth? Would he be a better option that John Swift, who has arguably been our stand out player for 2 years or is he a better fit than Ejaria?

Holsgrove does seem to be the best fit as a back-up Swift. I'm not sure any others have quite the same range of passing, except maybe Olise - but I'm not sure you'd want him in the deeper role. I think we need to bring in another DM anyway, so Holsgrove going isn't too much of an issue as long as that happens.

I suspect there's nothing particularly special about Holsgrove, it's more the drip drip effect and straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Like, I'm not fed up solely because of how Bowen was kicked out, but by the cumulative effect of Adkins, McDermott, Clement and Bowen's sackings and Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Paunovic's hiring alongside the financial state, performances, player releases and sale refusals.

I can't muster the energy to be especially upset by one more highly rated promising youngster I've known of for years being cast off for no particularly good reason though, it's trumped by what's gone before

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Sep 2020 12:39

Thought Holsgrove looked to have very good potential but might well be more suited to Spanish football. If we sell hopefully we will get a very good percentage of any sell on fee if he does become a star in the future.

I also see Watson and Smith have not been given squad numbers so assume they are both off one way or another.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2020 13:07

Snowflake Royal
kwik-silva

I suspect there's nothing particularly special about Holsgrove, it's more the drip drip effect and straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Like, I'm not fed up solely because of how Bowen was kicked out, but by the cumulative effect of Adkins, McDermott, Clement and Bowen's sackings and Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Paunovic's hiring alongside the financial state, performances, player releases and sale refusals.

I can't muster the energy to be especially upset by one more highly rated promising youngster I've known of for years being cast off for no particularly good reason though, it's trumped by what's gone before

Yet in a named 26 man squad - 11 players are academy graduates outside of Watson, Smith and Holsgrove who are clearly off.

Of those 11 academy players - McIntyre, Holmes, Olise, Rinohmota, Southwood and Richards are likely to be in or around the 18 most weeks with 4 of them likely starters - McIntyre, Olise, Rino and Richards. I would argue that is a pretty decent return at this level, doubt there are many other clubs who can better that.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Sep 2020 13:24

linkenholtroyal

1 Sam Walker
3 Omar Richards
4 Michael Morrison
5 Tom McIntyre
6 Liam Moore
7 Michael Olise
8 Andy Rinomhota
9 Sam Baldock
10 John Swift
11 Yakou Meite
12 Marc McNulty
14 Ovie Ejaria
17 Andy Yiadom
18 Lucas Joao
20 Felipe Araruna
22 Luke Southwood
24 Sone Aluko
28 Josh Laurent
29 Tom Holmes
33 Rafael Cabral
34 Dejan Tetek
35 Imari Samuels
36 Nelson Abbey
37 Nahum Melvin-Lambert
40 Jokull Andresson
47 George Puscas

4 goalkeepers

What happened to Jeriel Dorset ? I know,I know, I should keep up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2020 13:36

heart still sinks every time I see Sone Aluko in that list

928 posts