Season 20/21

928 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Season 20/21

by Lower West » 09 Oct 2020 23:39

tidus_mi2
TiagoIlori The more I read these interviews the more puzzled I get to working out why Paunovic did so badly in the MLS, he was seen as someone who added to the problems Chicago Fire had rather than improved their problems. Either he was the worst possible fit for them or that there’s a major problem in his game we are unaware about. Doesn’t seem particularly obvious what that problem is so far, so I hope it’s the former.

Why did Brendan Rodgers only fail here? It sometimes just happens, add to that, it was his first full management role after Serbia U20s. Despite the average record he was still well liked at Chicago Fire.

Paunovic seems to be building on the (excellent) platform left by Bowen. The first time in years that we've had anything resembling like a cohesive unit. Must be every managers dream coming to a new country and new league in such a position. Only time will tell if he can improve this team further. We are goal shy. Be different when we are having to chase games from behind. Still early days only 4 games in.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 10 Oct 2020 10:05

Thing is we have the players, we’ve always had the players. On paper we’ve had a good team for the last few years. What we’ve been missing is desire, a winning mentality, and a close nip unit that is willing to die on the pitch for one another. Paunovic so far seems to be creating that dressing room atmosphere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2020 13:31

WoodleyRoyal Thing is we have the players, we’ve always had the players. On paper we’ve had a good team for the last few years. What we’ve been missing is desire, a winning mentality, and a close nip unit that is willing to die on the pitch for one another. Paunovic so far seems to be creating that dressing room atmosphere.

Think we've always had individuals of quality.

What we haven't had is a balanced team built to a clear strategy.

The work of Clement, Gomes and Bowen can't be underestimated in getting here, though of course Paunovic must get credit for realising it.

It really started with Clement looking at the holes in the squad and trying to fix them and build a unit. There were some big missteps and failures along the way, but I think it starts there. And really begins cementing with the arrival of Laurent.

His partnership with Rinomhota can't be overstated in how much it gives us.

It allows the creatives the chance to play and take risks.

It ups our tempo and drives us into the opposition half quicker to play more of our game where we can do damage.

And it screens and protects our defence in ways that simply hasn't been possible without the pair of them.

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 10 Oct 2020 16:20

WoodleyRoyal Thing is we have the players, we’ve always had the players. On paper we’ve had a good team for the last few years. What we’ve been missing is desire, a winning mentality, and a close nip unit that is willing to die on the pitch for one another. Paunovic so far seems to be creating that dressing room atmosphere.

Should help them chest the ball down...

(I agree btw and of course I understand this was an accidental typo for "close-knit")

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2020 16:37

Suspect VP just got stale at Chicago. Same players, same ideas etc. It happens pretty regularly tbh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2020 18:35

Hound Suspect VP just got stale at Chicago. Same players, same ideas etc. It happens pretty regularly tbh

Doesn't bode well if he gets stale after about 1 season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2020 19:14

Snowflake Royal
Hound Suspect VP just got stale at Chicago. Same players, same ideas etc. It happens pretty regularly tbh

Think his second season was his decent one wasn’t it

Caveat I can’t be arsed to check so maybe completely wrong

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2020 20:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Think his second season was his decent one wasn’t it

Caveat I can’t be arsed to check so maybe completely wrong

Ditto.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 11 Oct 2020 00:27

Totally agree

Which is what has made the last 4 or 5 years even more frustrating.

He talks about the player being the most important thing. By which I take it he means the individual and what makes them tick. The signs are good, so far, that whatever he is saying he is getting the best out of our players

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2020 17:52

Joint top after 5 games 8)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/table

Just the 41 left to go...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Oct 2020 09:09

Sure I heard Tim mention something in his commentary yesterday about an offer of a new 4 year deal coming the way of Omar Richards ... anyone heard more?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2020 09:15

Not heard any more. We need to secure Morrison, McIntyre and Southwood too.
I suspect we will be in or around the top six during the course of the January transfer window.

Players like Richards and Moore may well be subject to bids. If Moore goes it will be for a big fee but Richards could be sold on the cheap given his contract situation. We need to have him signed up long term as he really is looking a class act at this level.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Oct 2020 09:20

Zip Not heard any more. We need to secure Morrison, McIntyre and Southwood too.
I suspect we will be in or around the top six during the course of the January transfer window.

Players like Richards and Moore may well be subject to bids. If Moore goes it will be for a big fee but Richards could be sold on the cheap given his contract situation. We need to have him signed up long term as he really is looking a class act at this level.

All true but if we are still top three, we could just say no to letting Richards go.

Promotion would be worth a lot more than any fee

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2020 09:22

Snowball

All true but if we are still top three, we could just say no to letting Richards go.

I think it depends on Richards. If he wants to leave it might be that we have to let him go.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Oct 2020 09:25

Zip
Snowball

I think it depends on Richards. If he wants to leave it might be that we have to let him go.

Is his contract up in the summer or 2022?

If 2021, the manager could say, you take us up, then you can choose to sign for RDG with a monster bonus or sign for someone else and get THEIR bonus

If we are still fighting for autos, he isn’t likely to be unhappy

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2020 09:45

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

If 2021, the manager could say, you take us up, then you can choose to sign for RDG with a monster bonus or sign for someone else and get THEIR bonus

Contract expires in Summer 2021. Our League position may influence whether he decides to stay but he will know there are no guarantees of promotion in January.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Oct 2020 10:02

Zip
Snowball
Zip

Contract expires in Summer 2021. Our League position may influence whether he decides to stay but he will know there are no guarantees of promotion in January.

Interesting it was left so late. Previous doubts?

15 games to go until January, say 43 points*, total 62. Sheesh we won't even be guaranteed top six

*Before replying Google "hyperbole" or "Jest"

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2020 13:26

Sutekh Sure I heard Tim mention something in his commentary yesterday about an offer of a new 4 year deal coming the way of Omar Richards ... anyone heard more?

I think it was a we need to rather than a we are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2020 13:29

Snowball
Zip
Snowball

Interesting it was left so late. Previous doubts?

15 games to go until January, say 43 points*, total 62. Sheesh we won't even be guaranteed top six

*Before replying Google "hyperbole" or "Jest"

Take off your STGs. Why can't you see this for what it is, a slow start to the season where we're clearly getting better.

45 you doom monger.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Oct 2020 13:32

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Sure I heard Tim mention something in his commentary yesterday about an offer of a new 4 year deal coming the way of Omar Richards ... anyone heard more?

I think it was a we need to rather than a we are.

Nope. Dellor was saying a four year deal was under ongoing negotiation with Richards.

928 posts