Season 20/21

928 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Season 20/21

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2020 17:08

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Comparing Ifollow to a match day experience is nonsensical.

£10 per match is steep, especially when you consider how generally shit the software is.

There's nothing wrong with the software. Yeah they oxf*rd up demand management for the first lockdown game, but they fixed that before the first half was over.

Ok maybe I should have been more precise - the viewing experience. Limited to only one camera angle and crappy BBCRB commentary it’s a far superior product to watching a game on Sky for example, therefore £10 per match represents pretty poor value imho. People are also comparing it to only home games, what about away or cup? It’s a lot of money. I think £5 would be a more representative price.

I’ll still probably watch most of them tbf because as someone else eluded to, come 2pm on a Saturday I’ll just have that itch to see how my team are doing, even though when I watch it on stream I find I have a tendency to do what I always do when watching things and double screen, be on my phone or whatnot.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Sep 2020 17:10

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

£10 per match is steep, especially when you consider how generally shit the software is.

There's nothing wrong with the software. Yeah they oxf*rd up demand management for the first lockdown game, but they fixed that before the first half was over.

Ok maybe I should have been more precise - the viewing experience. Limited to only one camera angle and crappy BBCRB commentary it’s a far superior product to watching a game on Sky for example, therefore £10 per match represents pretty poor value imho. People are also comparing it to only home games, what about away or cup? It’s a lot of money. I think £5 would be a more representative price.

I’ll still probably watch most of them tbf because as someone else eluded to, come 2pm on a Saturday I’ll just have that itch to see how my team are doing, even though when I watch it on stream I find I have a tendency to do what I always do when watching things and double screen, be on my phone or whatnot.

There was never only 1 camera angle for the games on iFollow last year :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2020 17:16

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal

It's an even bigger saving on away games for most people.

Our ticket prices are a lot cheaper than many clubs and there's no travel cost.

23 home games on IFollow costs £230. 23 home games live costs ~£350 that's £15 a game. Away you're more likely to be paying £25 on average

Expecting a niche streaming service to have the same infrastructure, quality and economies of scale as a major international broadcaster with a massive subscription service is just weird.

If you want to watch a specific professional team play football every week it's decent value.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 11 Sep 2020 17:49

paultheroyal on a separate note and not to have a dig at the previous poster but the amount of bed wetting going on about charging £10 for ifollow. How much would a family of 4 cost them to watch an away game up at Derby for example? Some fans are just, well, embarrassing.

You can not compare a family of four using I Follow and Billy No Mates watching on his own.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2020 18:09

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal There's nothing wrong with the software. Yeah they oxf*rd up demand management for the first lockdown game, but they fixed that before the first half was over.

23 home games on IFollow costs £230. 23 home games live costs ~£350 that's £15 a game. Away you're more likely to be paying £25 on average

Expecting a niche streaming service to have the same infrastructure, quality and economies of scale as a major international broadcaster with a massive subscription service is just weird.

If you want to watch a specific professional team play football every week it's decent value.

But again you’re comparing watching something on a screen to going to a game and it’s a non starter. Equally I’m not expecting a “niche streaming” service to offer the same infrastructure, but it’s not that weird imho to suggest that a much more inferior product should not cost significantly more than a comparable service like sky or what not. These things are difficult to properly analyse and compare because there aren’t many direct comparisons but it’s my opinion that I think it’s quite expensive for what it is. I think the cost of paying for a specific stream of something as opposed to a subscription is generally stupid though, see boxing events on top of a sky subscription.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2020 18:11

Hendo
CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal There's nothing wrong with the software. Yeah they oxf*rd up demand management for the first lockdown game, but they fixed that before the first half was over.

We must have been using a different ifollow then.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Sep 2020 20:09

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

Wouldn’t worry about it, what’s the betting after the first 3/4 league games we’ll all have had enough of watching Reading this season anyway?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2020 20:57

CountryRoyal
Hendo
CountryRoyal

We must have been using a different ifollow then.

Yep. Definitely 4 camera angles, last year. They pushed that in nearly all their advertising too.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Sep 2020 13:27

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal And let’s just say I’m not alone in the opinion that we are currently a shambles. Ady Williams, Kevin Dillon, Second Tier Podcast, Not The Top 20 Podcast are just a few examples of people/bodies who understand football better than us, who have said we’re going in the wrong direction. Baldock & Blackett’s comments would also suggest things aren’t good.

We have enough quality not to go down this season, but it’s very unlikely the trend will improve if a short-term approach continues rather than a long-term gradual progression.

Rinomhota is a superb player...I hope that’s enough positivity for Nameless now :wink:

I do think it's relevant to recognise that the management of the club in getting where we are and whether the new guy was a good or sensible appointment to make once we got there is a very different thing to how the new guy manages the team and performs.

At worst, he's got responsibility for being happy to talk to and sign for a club that is treating it's managers badly and going behind their backs.

But ultimately, now he's in charge he should get judged on how he does the same as anyone else. There'll naturally be less patience and leeway from those of us unhappy he's here in the first place.

But we need to remember he isn't the bad guy in this. The bad guy is Dai.

The club no longer has my support and Dai can go to hell, but I still back the Team.

Completely agree with you Snowflake...I completely back the team and I’m not convinced the players as a whole are necessarily the problem. It all starts from the top, they have the responsibility for setting the tone and the right strategy. Until that changes, we aren’t going anywhere in my opinion. But the team should be backed, and I like a fair amount of the players we have at present :x

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Sep 2020 13:31

paultheroyal on a separate note and not to have a dig at the previous poster but the amount of bed wetting going on about charging £10 for ifollow. How much would a family of 4 cost them to watch an away game up at Derby for example? Some fans are just, well, embarrassing.

Yup completely agree with this...£10 is very good value at the end of the day

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 14:36

So is £10 good value or not? I can’t decide

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Sep 2020 15:58

Westwood52

You can not compare a family of four using I Follow and Billy No Mates watching on his own.

You can, I did and results speak for themselves. HTH.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Sep 2020 20:40

SouthDownsRoyal So is £10 good value or not? I can’t decide

Totally personal decision.
I think it’s a crazy amount to pay to watch a game on tv and can’t imagine the circumstances in which I’d pay it.
Doesn’t mean someone else can’t think it is a brilliant deal.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 20:54

Nameless

I think it’s a crazy amount to pay to watch a game on tv and can’t imagine the circumstances in which I’d pay it.

True, I do agree.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Sep 2020 21:26

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless

True, I do agree.

Actually I have thought of a situation.
If I could find 8 more friends who would pay £1 each I’d consider it.
If anyone knows any Reading fans looking for a friend.....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Sep 2020 21:28

I hate to be the one to bring you all bad news but you know the game is streamed for free by people who pay right? You don't have to pay to watch it if a tenner is too much.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 21:40

NewCorkSeth I hate to be the one to bring you all bad news but you know the game is streamed for free by people who pay right? You don't have to pay to watch it if a tenner is too much.

Free is good.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Sep 2020 21:56

Far be it from me to judge what other people do with their money but to ask for £10 per match for one camera angle and BBCRB commentary, they can fcuking do one

And if you're seriously comparing that to the experience of going to the match in person, and all the sights, smells, camaraderie and sense of community that go along with that, then you're equally mental

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 12 Sep 2020 22:06

Well it’s not comparable to going to the live game is it. But what’s the next best option in this pandemic? Watching the game on TV. £10 is under half price of attending a game (non ST holders) and the club get most of the money, so it’s well priced. Appreciate I’m looking at it through the lens of an exile who doesn’t have a season ticket, and a ST holder may look at it differently.

But hey...unless people start taking this pandemic seriously, it’s what we’ve got for the foreseeable future.
Much prefer it to that 4 months we endured with no sport!

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 Sep 2020 22:09

genome Far be it from me to judge what other people do with their money but to ask for £10 per match for one camera angle and BBCRB commentary, they can fcuking do one

And if you're seriously comparing that to the experience of going to the match in person, and all the sights, smells, camaraderie and sense of community that go along with that, then you're equally mental

Agree 100pc with this

928 posts