End of season sale - value the squad

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

End of season sale - value the squad

by PistolPete » 05 Aug 2020 14:41

On news that the club has rejected a bid of £4 for Swift... If a bid came in, what would you value the following players at?

(obvs if one leaves, it slightly adjusts the value of others)

Michael Morrison - 1m - decent contract, older, but a solid performer
Liam Moore - £2m - Huge cut on what we previously accepted, could be brilliant elsewhere, WAABP
Andy Rinomhota - £5m - Reasonable wages and the type of player Bowen allegedly needs. A sale would be horrible
Sam Baldock - Free - A very decent player, but big wages and replaceable
John Swift - £7m - Our best player, young, English. Anything less is wrong
Tom McIntyre - £5m - Left footed young, English, ball playing centre back. Another good season and he'll be worth double
Andy Yiadom - £4m - Great pro, vice captain, but could be replaced if absolutely necessary
Yakou Méïté - £3m - Could be a bargain for someone, a proven goalscorer, but a target man inside forward is unusual!
Felipe Araruna - £250k - No idea
Michael Olise - £10m - This good, this young. Wages are low too.
Sone Aluko - 50p - Was once a good player but the wages are a problem
Omar Richards - £3m - Decent wage and a position we have no cover. Not a £3m player, but to us right now...
Lucas João - £4m - Tough one. Big wages, injury prone and we need the cash. On the other hand, we need him!
Rafael - £4m - Keepers are crucial, and we've a good one. Big salary, but he's earning it!
George Pușcaș - £5m - I fully expect him to go this summer, and due to covid, for less than we paid (depending on sell ons). A solid first season, but the money is needed!
Marc McNulty - £100k - I don't believe in him at this level sadly.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: End of season sale - value the squad

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 14:54

Apart from rafael , anyone can leave if they. Want.

Would be too worried about anyone in particular

I. Think 50p for aluko is too much

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2020 14:57

So Aluko will cost us something like £750k to £1.5m over the next year.

I'd say that puts his price at around -£500k.

Ie, if it got him off the wage bill, I'd pay a club £500k to sign him and we'd still come out ahead on the deal.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2020 17:14

SouthDownsRoyal Apart from rafael , anyone can leave if they. Want.

WE’ve got a string of young keepers, Rafael is not irreplaceable.
I’d keep Olise and McIntyre ahead of him, both either already are or soon will be worth much more.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2020 17:36

To echo others' sentiments, you really think in this climate when money is so tight anyone is going to pay 50p for Aluko!??

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Aug 2020 17:41

We could let Moore go on a free but nobody will give him the wages we are paying him.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Aug 2020 18:22

Nameless

I would like t keep rafael

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Aug 2020 18:28

SouthDownsRoyal
Nameless

I would like t keep rafael

So would I, but he’s more replaceable than Meite, Richards, Yiadom, Rino or Morrison as things stand.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2020 19:16

windermereROYAL We could let Moore go on a free but nobody will give him the wages we are paying him.

As mentioned above, a £5m package for three years for him, however they want to break that down - wages/signing on fee. It isn’t bad value

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 05 Aug 2020 21:41

I'm not going to spend too much time worrying about who will and won't go. The reality is, we're in a bit of a mess financially so everybody is available and not necessarily at the right price.

The next couple of years could be very tough but recruitment from lower down could be vital so I hope MB has a good contact book.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Aug 2020 21:46

I'd say I think some of those fees are over inflated. Yiadom is a solid right back but not worth £4m. £2m max for me. I actually think Gunter was better but he's now gone.

McIntyre and Richards have potential and may be worth those fees next summer. Right now I think they're not worth that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Aug 2020 09:53

Rinomhota is one of our best players. He needs a defensive minded player alongside him to really bring the best out of him but he has it all. Next season I’m hoping for big things from him.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Aug 2020 11:08

Torbay Royal The next couple of years could be very tough but recruitment from lower down could be vital so I hope MB has a good contact book.

He has a plan for leftback though.

Knowing MB's record he'll probably get rid of Richards too so he can play there himself. Why do you think he got rid of Blackett and Obita?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Aug 2020 11:16

Snowflake Royal So Aluko will cost us something like £750k to £1.5m over the next year.

Ie, if it got him off the wage bill, I'd pay a club £500k to sign him and we'd still come out ahead on the deal.
The Secret Footballer, in one of his books said the following, which I was surprised about.

If a player leaves and hasn't instigated the move theirselves i.e. asked for a transfer, then the selling club has to pay up the players contract in full. Now, I imagine there would be room for negotiation in this if it is in the players interests to move e.g. new club gives him more money/signing on fee/longer contract/more chance of playing, but if the player digs his heels in that means the club will take a hit to the finances if the transfer fee is below the cost of paying up the players contract.... maybe we'll end up paying him off over a number of years? (There was a story about Robbie Fowler still being Leeds Utds top earner years after he left).

As a player, getting your old contract paid off is great but you can then ask for a signing on bonus and a new longer contract, so it's a win all round, unless the club signing you is based in an undesirable location.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2020 13:43

Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal So Aluko will cost us something like £750k to £1.5m over the next year.

The Secret Footballer, in one of his books said the following, which I was surprised about.

If a player leaves and hasn't instigated the move theirselves i.e. asked for a transfer, then the selling club has to pay up the players contract in full. Now, I imagine there would be room for negotiation in this if it is in the players interests to move e.g. new club gives him more money/signing on fee/longer contract/more chance of playing, but if the player digs his heels in that means the club will take a hit to the finances if the transfer fee is below the cost of paying up the players contract.... maybe we'll end up paying him off over a number of years? (There was a story about Robbie Fowler still being Leeds Utds top earner years after he left).

As a player, getting your old contract paid off is great but you can then ask for a signing on bonus and a new longer contract, so it's a win all round, unless the club signing you is based in an undesirable location.

Club’s can’t transfer a player unless the player agrees. Player has a contract for x years and y money so are entitled to set conditions on a move. It’s no inferential to any other job that is contract based - you want to end my contract early ? Pay me what you owe me !

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Aug 2020 13:45

Nameless
Forbury Lion

Club’s can’t transfer a player unless the player agrees. Player has a contract for x years and y money so are entitled to set conditions on a move. It’s no different to any other job that is contract based - you want to end my contract early ? Pay me what you owe me ! It’s only the flip side of players not being able to just walk out on a contract if they fancy moving clubs

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 06 Aug 2020 15:44

5 Million for McIntyre (First season, but i admit a great prospect) and only 3 Million for Meite (17 Goal striker/Winger). I'm pretty sure goal scorers with a good goal to game ratio tend to be worth more than defenders, however, it sometimes makes me wonder how Meite got 17 goals in this team when we are generally so poor at creating chances for our strikers.

Is Meite really a good striker? would he have scored lets say 25 goals if he was in our 106 point record breaking team, with the amazing fast counter attacking wing playing system?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Aug 2020 15:49

Crowbar6753 5 Million for McIntyre (First season, but i admit a great prospect) and only 3 Million for Meite (17 Goal striker/Winger). I'm pretty sure goal scorers with a good goal to game ratio tend to be worth more than defenders, however, it sometimes makes me wonder how Meite got 17 goals in this team when we are generally so poor at creating chances for our strikers.

Is Meite really a good striker? would he have scored lets say 25 goals if he was in our 106 point record breaking team, with the amazing fast counter attacking wing playing system?

I like Meite, but he wouldn't have got near the 106 team.

Kitson and Doyle were light years ahead of him and neither of them got 25.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Aug 2020 16:04

Crowbar6753

Good Q

I often think that a striker doesn't matter as much as the system and the service and our issues have been no proper shape/system or service (and the lack of wingers and crosses I keep harping on about), So based on that I'd say you are a very good striker indeed if you can get 17 goals in a team like ours. Like Morley got I can't remember 21 or 23 goals in a season where we were fighting relegation from the second tier.

So are both these guys therefore good strikers who'd walk into a Prem team and score 25 goals? Probably not.

I guess strikers excel in different setups i.e. some strikers may thrive on a team jsut playing shite and they use their strength and just fight hard and get goals. I remember Morley was hard as f**k.

Then you'd have players like Vydra, who will be different. Put them in a shit team and they're shit. Did he score like 3 goals in 31 appearances for us or something? What did he do after that? Went to a good team and scored a goal every 3 three games.

So my stab at yoru Q is he's probably not "good" in terms of being able to go into the PL against top teams and keep up, but in the champ he can use his strength and energy and get goals, and my guess is in the 106 team he'd get plenty too against teams at this level. Up in the PL though my guess is he'd suffer so he's probably not "good" in that sense.

But someone like Puscas is probably different. He's kind of struggled with this league but give him a better team playing to his strengths in a league playing better football and he'd probably flourish a lot more. I can see him scoring more in the PL with a good team around him than in the champ with a crap team around him.

Do I have any idea what I'm talking about though? Of course not, just a guess.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2020 16:26

Forbury Lion

That is exactly why very few players put in formal transfer requests.