CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

434 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

by Snowball » 01 Sep 2020 12:17

Just a thought but I could take finishing 14th again* if we just started winning at home

*Prefer top, of course

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2020 12:24

Sanguine The difference between Stam's first and second seasons I found astonishing. I don't feel there was 'fluke' about our promotion push - we were in the playoffs places from November time through to May iirc. It just all went very wrong in season two, mainly the defensive solidity at home disappearing.

The play off game at Wembley clearly showed the teams limitations.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Sep 2020 12:26

Lower West
Sanguine The difference between Stam's first and second seasons I found astonishing. I don't feel there was 'fluke' about our promotion push - we were in the playoffs places from November time through to May iirc. It just all went very wrong in season two, mainly the defensive solidity at home disappearing.

Sure, but they were limitations that had nevertheless carried us to 3rd place, and to my point above, a third/fourth place which we had sustained for most of the season. Defensive teams lacking in attacking firepower are hardly a rarity in challenging for championships/promotion. Equally nor are such teams struggling to maintain a promotion push for a second season, but the complete collapse in form, I think it was one win in 20 when Stam left, was unreal.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Sep 2020 12:31

Lower West

Nonsense. Both sides were pretrified of losing and didn't turn up, no reflection of limitations or overall quality. It can happen to the very best teams in big games.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Sep 2020 13:19

Old Man Andrews
Lower West

Nonsense. Both sides were pretrified of losing and didn't turn up, no reflection of limitations or overall quality. It can happen to the very best teams in big games.

Agreed but IMO it showed the limitations of a 5 at the back formation with two defensive wingbacks, I.e. very little threat going forward

Think we should have gone with our usual and best formation which was the 4-3-3 to add another dimension to the attack

Still think the main difference between Stam’s two seasons was moving from a rigid but balanced approach to a fluid one where players were just wandering around in random positions, he tried to over complicate things

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Sep 2020 13:25

Does pose an interesting* question as to the right balance of results-based vs. attractive football. I don't think anyone fondly remembers Stam's play-off season, but it nearly got us to the PL. How much of that second-season shambles was a desire to change our 'brand'?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 01 Sep 2020 13:26

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Lower West

Agreed but IMO it showed the limitations of a 5 at the back formation with two defensive wingbacks, I.e. very little threat going forward

Think we should have gone with our usual and best formation which was the 4-3-3 to add another dimension to the attack

Still think the main difference between Stam’s two seasons was moving from a rigid but balanced approach to a fluid one where players were just wandering around in random positions, he tried to over complicate things

We also lost Danny Williams, which was a huge miss as he was key to the way we played.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2020 13:55

Old Man Andrews
Lower West

That’s true. It was a terrible terrible game, as you say both sides were just scared to lose it

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Sep 2020 14:02

Wycombe Royal
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Nonsense. Both sides were pretrified of losing and didn't turn up, no reflection of limitations or overall quality. It can happen to the very best teams in big games.

We also lost Danny Williams, which was a huge miss as he was key to the way we played.

More or less Bacuna could have fitted the role, albeit less consistency and with a worse attitude

Unfortunately he spent the majority of his time at fullback here, so our midfield and wing balance was totally off all the time

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Sep 2020 14:05

Maybe 'fluke' isn't a fair term. But when you go from third to relegation candidates you know that something is up. My point was that Reading were not really developing as a team, Stam left us in a much worse state that he found us.

I still believe that if McDermott has been allowed to stay and build over a few seasons we would be in a much better situation now than we are. The same with Clement.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2020 14:08

Well, if Reading are in or around the bottom 3 at the end of November then I’m sure we’ll all be welcoming Quinton Fortune or Eddie Niedzwiecki as caretaker while the next European unknown is being lined up.

And to help the club on its way 3 of Reading’s first 4 league games are away at Derby, away at Cardiff and a visit from Watford.

But if Mr Paunović does get a good start from that lot then the sky’s the limit.
Last edited by Sutekh on 01 Sep 2020 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Sep 2020 14:09

Wycombe Royal
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Nonsense. Both sides were pretrified of losing and didn't turn up, no reflection of limitations or overall quality. It can happen to the very best teams in big games.

Added to the much less effective Kermorgant, it was always going to be a bit of a struggle. Plus Swift got quite a bad injury coming off a good first season, which was unfortunate.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Sep 2020 14:09

Sanguine Does pose an interesting* question as to the right balance of results-based vs. attractive football. I don't think anyone fondly remembers Stam's play-off season, but it nearly got us to the PL. How much of that second-season shambles was a desire to change our 'brand'?

I’d say it was partly the reason, no need to over complicate things in the Championship, isn’t the division to try those sort of fancy formations/styles

Also think the 1-0 loss to Bristol was damaging to us, a lot of optimism prior to the game, dominated them and they got a late lucky winner towards the end. Obviously key players were missing too, there were about five or six regulars in that side who were missing

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Sep 2020 14:31

Sanguine
Lower West

Sure, but they were limitations that had nevertheless carried us to 3rd place, and to my point above, a third/fourth place which we had sustained for most of the season. Defensive teams lacking in attacking firepower are hardly a rarity in challenging for championships/promotion. Equally nor are such teams struggling to maintain a promotion push for a second season, but the complete collapse in form, I think it was one win in 20 when Stam left, was unreal.

False third though wasn't it?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Sep 2020 16:21

Sutekh Well, if Reading are in or around the bottom 3 at the end of November then I’m sure we’ll all be welcoming Quinton Fortune or Eddie Niedzwiecki as caretaker while the next European unknown is being lined up.

And to help the club on its way 3 of Reading’s first 4 league games are away at Derby, away at Cardiff and a visit from Watford.

But if Mr Paunović does get a good start from that lot then the sky’s the limit.

Also games against Barnsley, Wycombe and Rotherham isn't it? We'll likely be on 9 or 10 points by the time we've played that lot. Not great but mid-table.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Sep 2020 17:27

Hendo
Wycombe Royal
URZZZZ

Added to the much less effective Kermorgant, it was always going to be a bit of a struggle. Plus Swift got quite a bad injury coming off a good first season, which was unfortunate.

For me the big thing was the loss of Al-Habsi who is probably the best shot stopper we’ve ever had (with all due respect to Steve Death - could argue Shaka was a better all-round goalkeeper but Al-Habsi had the acrobatics and reflexes). The number of times he made saves that most goalkeepers wouldn’t pull off was just incredible.

Kermorgant similarly was in many ways a “limited” player but he was extremely efficient, very reliable goalscorer. Never the same after his injury.

Imo biggest losses in the second season:

1) Al-Habsi
2) Kermorgant
3) Beerens
4) Swift
5) Williams

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Sep 2020 17:27

SCIAG
Hendo
Wycombe Royal We also lost Danny Williams, which was a huge miss as he was key to the way we played.

For me the big thing was the loss of Al-Habsi who is probably the best shot stopper we’ve ever had (with all due respect to Steve Death - could argue Shaka was a better all-round goalkeeper but Al-Habsi had the acrobatics and reflexes). The number of times he made saves that most goalkeepers wouldn’t pull off was just incredible.

Kermorgant similarly was in many ways a “limited” player but he was extremely efficient, very reliable goalscorer. Never the same after his injury.

Imo biggest losses in the second season:

1) Al-Habsi
2) Kermorgant
3) Beerens
4) Swift
5) Williams

Can't argue with any of that, tbf.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2020 17:45

Sutekh

Oh how lovely that would be, rather than yet another season of limping along, no win for a while, fans get restless, drop down the table, pressure builds, then win a couple and look ok. Then no win for a while and so we get into that cycle.

Here’s hoping this is our year

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 01 Sep 2020 21:05

Our new man will not be in charge for the Colchester games as he will still be in quarantine.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2020 21:26

Hendo
Wycombe Royal
URZZZZ

The spine was hit. AAH left, Danny left and Kermorgant suffered a nasty preseason injury and was never the same. Obita suffered that awful injury against Hull and Swift had hamstring problems. We just didn’t get going.

434 posts