12%
Ian Royal
9%

Total votes: 148
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Veljko Paunović - Whelmgauge

by tmesis » 31 Aug 2020 21:02

Lower West Beyond comment or caring any longer. Finally are we about to go into freefall. Been teetering on the edge for a while. The soul of the club has been totally destroyed.

The sad thing is that I've not been to a Reading game for six and a half months, and I've not missed it. I just don't feel the connection with the club that I used to have.

I don't think we'll go into freefall this season, but next season could be a disaster.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2020 21:06

WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal There's two things to consider here.

The decision to remove Bowen and appoint him. And how he performs. How he performs can only be judged after 10 - 20 games in charge so I'll leave that, my issues have nothing to do with the new guy. Regardless of how good or bad an appointment it might seem, once in post you have to judge on actual performance.

The decision to remove Bowen is a disgrace and one step too far for me. It's illogical, it's stupid, it's ungrateful and it disgusts me. The decision to appoint a guy with one good season in the MLS and a slightly spawny Youth WC win, but no experience in England, over a guy who took us from bottom three to mid-table is nothing short of moronic.

I'm done. I'll watch to see what happens and could be brought round, but right now I think the club deserves relegation and I welcome anything that hastens the departure of the oxf*rd, morally bankrupt owners we have.

Excellent does that mean you’ll be on here less? If so then this has been an even better appointment than I first thought.

You're one of the fukwits I hope get what they deserve.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:08

I was born in Reading, lived there for many years and support the club, always will.

Past, what, five (ish) years have been, well a number of words could be used. A joke, tedious, turgid, embarrassing, waste of time/money etc and it’s a crying shame having that following the success, the football, the ethos etc we had for the first twelve to fifteen years of this millennium.

I’m numb to it all now after the underachieving manager merry go round, the turgid football, the lack of focus/plan, the lack of identity etc

As someone else said years ago the new manager thing was quite exciting.p, who would we get, what would their plan be, what players will come in and also all of the circus aside, however a club is run its true that if you’re winning games you can, to a degree out the club politics to one side, but we haven’t even had that.

I’m happy to, as bizarre as this all is and how bad the timing is happy to put aside the past five ish years, they have gone, thank god, new manager, ditched some deadwood, may get a few newbies in, a relatively weak league let’s look forward and back the manager and the club. Whatever our views of the owners, it’s out of our hands so let’s look forward get behind the team and see what happens.

I know most think this is going to be a car crash in slow motion and to be honest I see why but who knows eh?

And as much as I understand some wanting is to go down, get hit many FFP penalty, etc out of spite. I for one don’t want that. If you go down, and maybe in future with a points deduction, it’s a looooong way back with no guarantee of a positive future thereafter. Let’s at least stay up and hope for more.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:10

Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal
Snowflake Royal There's two things to consider here.

The decision to remove Bowen and appoint him. And how he performs. How he performs can only be judged after 10 - 20 games in charge so I'll leave that, my issues have nothing to do with the new guy. Regardless of how good or bad an appointment it might seem, once in post you have to judge on actual performance.

The decision to remove Bowen is a disgrace and one step too far for me. It's illogical, it's stupid, it's ungrateful and it disgusts me. The decision to appoint a guy with one good season in the MLS and a slightly spawny Youth WC win, but no experience in England, over a guy who took us from bottom three to mid-table is nothing short of moronic.

I'm done. I'll watch to see what happens and could be brought round, but right now I think the club deserves relegation and I welcome anything that hastens the departure of the oxf*rd, morally bankrupt owners we have.

Excellent does that mean you’ll be on here less? If so then this has been an even better appointment than I first thought.

You're one of the fukwits I hope get what they deserve.

:lol: There it is. Ian, dude, chill the oxf*rd out, your behaviour is not befitting of a grown adult. You really have taken all this far too seriously. Just roll with the punches and stop being such a drama queen.

Oh and I must ask what do i ‘deserve’ ? :lol:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2020 21:14

If’s Bizarre that on the one hand people go on about it being ‘our’ club and on the other wish all sorts of bad things on it.
If it’s our club why would you want it to get relegated ? Who wins there ?
As for telling people they personally ‘deserve’ relegation we’ll guess what ? We ALL get relegated, not just the people who don’y Buy into the toddler tantrum end of the world stupidity....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:23

Nameless If’s Bizarre that on the one hand people go on about it being ‘our’ club and on the other wish all sorts of bad things on it.
As for telling people they personally ‘deserve’ relegation we’ll guess what ? We ALL get relegated, not just the people who don’y Buy into the toddler tantrum end of the world stupidity....

I guess their argument stems from a longer term view, misguided or not, where a relegation could allow a proper rebuild from the ground(ish) up.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:28

CountryRoyal
Nameless If’s Bizarre that on the one hand people go on about it being ‘our’ club and on the other wish all sorts of bad things on it.

I guess their argument stems from a longer term view, misguided or not, where a relegation could allow a proper rebuild from the ground(ish) up.

True and that’s understandable but inflicting hurt on the club in the HOPE that in the long run it MAY prove fruitful is a gamble and a half.

If we get relegated, become league one fodder for years on end and lose even. MOre money, we lose more as fans. The owners will walk and still be very rich

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2020 21:40

SouthDownsRoyal I was born in Reading, lived there for many years and support the club, always will.

Past, what, five (ish) years have been, well a number of words could be used. A joke, tedious, turgid, embarrassing, waste of time/money etc and it’s a crying shame having that following the success, the football, the ethos etc we had for the first twelve to fifteen years of this millennium.

I’m numb to it all now after the underachieving manager merry go round, the turgid football, the lack of focus/plan, the lack of identity etc

As someone else said years ago the new manager thing was quite exciting.p, who would we get, what would their plan be, what players will come in and also all of the circus aside, however a club is run its true that if you’re winning games you can, to a degree out the club politics to one side, but we haven’t even had that.

I’m happy to, as bizarre as this all is and how bad the timing is happy to put aside the past five ish years, they have gone, thank god, new manager, ditched some deadwood, may get a few newbies in, a relatively weak league let’s look forward and back the manager and the club. Whatever our views of the owners, it’s out of our hands so let’s look forward get behind the team and see what happens.

I know most think this is going to be a car crash in slow motion and to be honest I see why but who knows eh?

And as much as I understand some wanting is to go down, get hit many FFP penalty, etc out of spite. I for one don’t want that. If you go down, and maybe in future with a points deduction, it’s a looooong way back with no guarantee of a positive future thereafter. Let’s at least stay up and hope for more.

If Paunovich proves to be a master stroke and we play great football and win the League I will be oxf*rd delighted.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:50

Zip
SouthDownsRoyal I was born in Reading, lived there for many years and support the club, always will.

If Paunovich proves to be a master stroke and we play great football and win the League I will be oxf*rd delighted.

:? Who wouldn’t?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Aug 2020 21:53

SouthDownsRoyal
Zip

Ian as it would prove him to be wrong and completely lacking in football knowledge.

He is done with the club though apparently, won't be posting on the team board anymore.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 21:56

Old Man Andrews
SouthDownsRoyal
Zip

Ian as it would prove him to be wrong and completely lacking in football knowledge.

He is done with the club though apparently, won't be posting on the team board anymore.

Crazy. Are we not all adults?

Keep your powder dry!

First few months of the season will be ‘interesting’ on the TB

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Aug 2020 22:42

Zip

The squad isn't good enough. Nor is he going to have much say in the players he is given.

That's part of the frustration. Last seasons improvement has effectively been binned.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 22:53

Lower West
Zip

The squad isn't good enough. Nor is he going to have much say in the players he is given.

That's part of the frustration. Last seasons improvement has effectively been binned.

Last seasons ‘improvement’ we hardly set the world alight last season

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 31 Aug 2020 23:25

CountryRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal Have to be positive - one of these random changes we will get lucky on the law of averages like Leeds did with Bielsa

Pretty terrible example, Bielsa was the most respected and accomplished manager to ever be in this league. :lol:

Poch for one credits Bielsa for developing his footballing thought process.Quite how Bielsa ended up at Leeds is a mystery.However I for one was not that impressed with Leeds when I watched them;Brentford on the other hand.Mnd you they took us apart after Lockdown,when we were at our most crappiest.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Aug 2020 23:33

SouthDownsRoyal
Lower West
Zip

Last seasons ‘improvement’ we hardly set the world alight last season

Championship is an unforgiving competitive league.

At the very least we need an experienced manager. Not just a second or third choice.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 Aug 2020 23:49

SouthDownsRoyal As someone else said years ago the new manager thing was quite exciting.p, who would we get, what would their plan be, what players will come in and also all of the circus aside, however a club is run its true that if you’re winning games you can, to a degree out the club politics to one side, but we haven’t even had that.

What's baffling is that we don't even seem to accept applications for the job any more. Our manager recruitment makes as little sense as our player recruitment.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Sep 2020 07:32

Mr Dai Yongge sounds overwhelmed - presumably quoting the tosh sold to him my the agent/advisor who put this move together

Owner Mr Dai Yongge said, “With vast experience of top flight football as both a player and a coach across Europe and in the United States, and with proven pedigree of successfully working with young up-and-coming footballers on both the domestic and international scene, I am confident Veljko can help take this club forward.

They'll give him a year I reckon, If we're not chasing promotion he'll be out the door a few weeks into the start of next season leaving the next manager to pick up the pieces, turn it around finish mid table and then get replaced by another foreigner nobody has heard of just before the season starts. It's the New Reading Way :roll:

I hope I'm wrong, I hope this guy proves to be the next Arsene Wenger and things improve.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Sep 2020 08:18

tmesis
SouthDownsRoyal As someone else said years ago the new manager thing was quite exciting.p, who would we get, what would their plan be, what players will come in and also all of the circus aside, however a club is run its true that if you’re winning games you can, to a degree out the club politics to one side, but we haven’t even had that.

What's baffling is that we don't even seem to accept applications for the job any more. Our manager recruitment makes as little sense as our player recruitment.

Have to disagree. Makes much more sense to headhunt your manager. It’s a small pool, inviting applicati9ns means you get all the useless lower division failures filling your intray. Much better to decide what sort of manager you want then go out and find him rather than limiting yourself to those who might apply.
Helps if you get the right guy but asking for cvs won’t make your decision making any better.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Sep 2020 10:05

Nameless
tmesis

Have to disagree. Makes much more sense to headhunt your manager. It’s a small pool, inviting applicati9ns means you get all the useless lower division failures filling your intray. Much better to decide what sort of manager you want then go out and find him rather than limiting yourself to those who might apply.
Helps if you get the right guy but asking for cvs won’t make your decision making any better.

It will give you more options. You might get applicants you'd not considered. It doesn't stop you headhunting if none of the applicants appeal to you.

And let's face it, the odds of the owners knowing about this guy are very slim. I'd suspect he's another agent suggestion, who just happens to be on that agent's books.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 Sep 2020 10:10

tmesis

Yes, quite. Very odd

242 posts