Goal of the Season 2020-2021

184 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Goal of the Season 2020-2021

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 16:34

Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal I love a twenty/thirty yarder. I get what you mean about them not being massively skilful as a team effort/team build up as such but when struck well, it’s a skill

Swift's goal against QPR last season on Boxing Day was very technical. You have to be a technically gifted player to stick that in the top corner, a very high level of skill.

Absolutely. I've already said you get classy, deliberate long-distance goals
(Gylfi, GMac's volley)

But most of us know the difference, between precision,
deliberate goals (good free-kicks, for example) and
Hit it a hard as you can and hope

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2020 17:06

Laughable.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Sep 2020 17:18

Personally, I don't rate free kicks that highly. It's a static, set piece situation that can be rehersed, unless it's something completely inspired like Willie Carr's donkey kick to Ernie Hunt.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 17:24

From Despair To Where? Personally, I don't rate free kicks that highly. It's a static, set piece situation that can be rehersed, unless it's something completely inspired like Willie Carr's donkey kick to Ernie Hunt.

Didn't the FA ban that after?

Rave from the grave.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Sep 2020 17:35

I think this will work as a discussion point, but trying to actually rank things here will potentially just result in someone taking ownership, setting the rules and deciding things arbitrarily.

Use this to discuss and record contenders and then pull a list to vote on from it at the end of the season.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Sep 2020 17:58

From Despair To Where? Personally, I don't rate free kicks that highly. It's a static, set piece situation that can be rehersed, unless it's something completely inspired like Willie Carr's donkey kick to Ernie Hunt.

Juninho Pernumbacano scored some utter bangers from 40 yards out

He is the single best free kick taker ever

Also (even though it is 13 years old) there are some great rehearsed ones on here, I love it when they come off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIaswrSWWf0

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2020 18:15

Quite enjoying reading how a group of people who have never played football to any decent level in their lives discuss what goals take skill and which ones don't. :D

What's next?? Long range goals being disallowed because they don't meet the Snowball great goal criteria?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2020 18:20

Old Man Andrews Quite enjoying reading how a group of people who have never played football to any decent level in their lives discuss what goals take skill and which ones don't. :D

What's next?? Long range goals being disallowed because they don't meet the Snowball great goal criteria?

How do you know what level any of us have played at ?

And how are you any better judge ?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2020 18:21

Nameless
Old Man Andrews Quite enjoying reading how a group of people who have never played football to any decent level in their lives discuss what goals take skill and which ones don't. :D

I'm not judging.

Ian Royal can barely walk let alone kick a ball, Snowball is too weak of a man to play competitive sport.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2020 18:32

Old Man Andrews
Nameless

I'm not judging.

Ian Royal can barely walk let alone kick a ball, Snowball is too weak of a man to play competitive sport.

On the other hand, I broke my leg in an FA cup final you know.....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Sep 2020 18:37

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless

I'm not judging.

On the other hand, I broke my leg in an FA cup final you know.....

Exactly, you've been there and bought the t-shirt, Dave.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 18:37

Folks, humans, and blockees.

*I* don't have any say in what goals get picked, other than my personal vote, which might be one of fifty people, or one of six.

If "you" like goals that go in off a striker's arse, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like 77 yard screamers, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like solo-dribbles against rubbish defences, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like a beautiful goal involving 2-3-4-5-6 or more players, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

It's simple (someone explain it to blockees). What *I* consider a good goal has almost nothing to do with what goals top the list. The better-best-bestest comes from PEOPLE VOTING

All I would do is keep a bloody spreadsheet and maintain a top ten.

The idea that we would chat randomly then at the end of the season scour a thread for the better goals is much more work than it needs to be.

A thread like this is democratic and "selects" based on a consensus of views, an average score. No one person "controls" anything.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Goal of the Season

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 19:05

Old Man Andrews
Snowball My mother, long now passed, oft told me,

“Take an insult from a fool as a compliment...”

Just grow up a bit if you can, stop labelling fairly decent goals as "goal of the season".

Having the word "snow" in your username is apparently a good indication you wet the bed.

I realise you are "challenged" but any normal person will realise (and I actually posted to say so)
that the five goals were a starting point, a baseline. I also said as good goals were scored, they'd
be suggested and we would vote to add to the Top Ten, removing one of the current Top Ten if
the new candidate scored a high enough mark.

I do realise that you think in terms of Four Legs Good, but please allow for those
people here who don't need help getting dressed in the morning.

And get your hand of your crotch while I'm talking to you

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 19:07

And yes, you're still blocked. It's permanent
and I won't have any further interaction with you,
at least not under this username.

No interaction of any kind.

That includes typing predictions.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Sep 2020 19:27

Old Man Andrews
Nameless

I'm not judging.

And I played TVPL Division 2 whilst you played in Division 4. And I'm shit at football.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Sep 2020 20:09

Snowball Folks, humans, and blockees.

*I* don't have any say in what goals get picked, other than my personal vote, which might be one of fifty people, or one of six.

If "you" like goals that go in off a striker's arse, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like 77 yard screamers, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like solo-dribbles against rubbish defences, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

If you like a beautiful goal involving 2-3-4-5-6 or more players, then you put said goal forward and people vote, giving a mark out of ten.

It's simple (someone explain it to blockees). What *I* consider a good goal has almost nothing to do with what goals top the list. The better-best-bestest comes from PEOPLE VOTING

The idea that we would chat randomly then at the end of the season scour a thread for the better goals is much more work than it needs to be.

A thread like this is democratic and "selects" based on a consensus of views, an average score. No one person "controls" anything.

It seems a very straightforward and reasonable approach and only a fool would find fault in it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 20:27

Nameless
Snowball Folks, humans, and blockees.

It seems a very straightforward and reasonable approach and only a fool would find fault in it.

Tongue? Cheek?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Sep 2020 20:28

Not ASKING for tongue, you understand...

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 15 Sep 2020 00:47

Once this gets beyond 10/20 goals (whatever the shortlist length is) can we keep the bottom handful displayed to debate the 'worst goal of the season' too?

What make a bad goal? A deflection? Penalty almost-saved? Calamitous own goal?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2020 07:23

Most hilarious goals?

184 posts