Goal of the Season 2020-2021

184 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Goal of the Season 2020-2021

by Nameless » 15 Sep 2020 07:51

Brain Traysers Once this gets beyond 10/20 goals (whatever the shortlist length is) can we keep the bottom handful displayed to debate the 'worst goal of the season' too?

What make a bad goal? A deflection? Penalty almost-saved? Calamitous own goal?

The only bad goal is the one at the wrong end.
And of course the one at Watford.
Other than that I can live with the scrappiest, luckiest bundle over the line if it is for us....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Sep 2020 08:16

Nameless
Brain Traysers Once this gets beyond 10/20 goals (whatever the shortlist length is) can we keep the bottom handful displayed to debate the 'worst goal of the season' too?

Other than that I can live with the scrappiest, luckiest bundle over the line if it is for us....

Don't think BT was suggesting we write a petition to the FL at the end of the season to have the worst chalked off.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Sep 2020 08:30

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Don't think BT was suggesting we write a petition to the FL at the end of the season to have the worst chalked off.

The equaliser at home to Forest surely would be a contender for "worst" goal of the season?

Bouncing cross, poor touch from the defender, 'keeper error, all while being in 97th minute after Forest had themselves, just scored!

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 15 Sep 2020 17:43

Hendo
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

The equaliser at home to Forest surely would be a contender for "worst" goal of the season?

Bouncing cross, poor touch from the defender, 'keeper error, all while being in 97th minute after Forest had themselves, just scored!

That sounds like a candidate, but does the sh!thousery of a late equalizer elevate it above truly poor and meaningless goal?

If so other candidates for hugely important goals for the club that were actually pretty poor off the top of my head - Pogs winner in the comeback v WBA (possibly harsh), Lita's winner vs Boro in prem debut, NHunt's goal to put us 2-1 up at WHam on the stroke of half time

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 15 Sep 2020 17:47

Can’t agree with Snowers about the Forest goal. It was a thing of beauty to be celebrating an equaliser within a matter of seconds of Forest thinking they had sneaked the win. I will always remember the equaliser as jnr smashed into me in celebration knocking my glasses flying. Took five minutes to find them wedged into the back of a seat two rows in front of my seat.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 15 Sep 2020 17:56

Zip Can’t agree with Snowers about the Forest goal. It was a thing of beauty to be celebrating an equaliser within a matter of seconds of Forest thinking they had sneaked the win. I will always remember the equaliser as jnr smashed into me in celebration knocking my glasses flying. Took five minutes to find them wedged into the back of a seat two rows in front of my seat.

BTs Late-equalizer-in-dramatic-response-to-late-"winner" top 3:
1 - Feds v Cardiff
2 - Someone v Ipswich (Darren Bent had "won it" for them after a pretty poor game and they went completely mental)
3 - OG v Forest

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Sep 2020 17:59

Zip Can’t agree with Snowers about the Forest goal. It was a thing of beauty to be celebrating an equaliser within a matter of seconds of Forest thinking they had sneaked the win. I will always remember the equaliser as jnr smashed into me in celebration knocking my glasses flying. Took five minutes to find them wedged into the back of a seat two rows in front of my seat.

Flake, not Ball

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Sep 2020 19:16

Brain Traysers

BTs Late-equalizer-in-dramatic-response-to-late-"winner" top 3:
1 - Feds v Cardiff......YES, his second goal for Reading, and I saw them both 8)....v Cardiff (the miserable buggers) felt like a win.
2 - Someone v Ipswich (Darren Bent had "won it" for them after a pretty poor game and they went completely mental)Ivar Ingy well into stoppage time....credit to James Harper for picking the ball out of our net and racing back to the centre spot to resume the game as the clock ticked down....another Blakey cross......felt like a win.
3 - OG v Forest?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Sep 2020 11:03

So, how did last week's goals v Barnsley rate?

Meite eventually scoring from a corner
Olise long range shot

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 25 Sep 2020 11:54

morganb So, how did last week's goals v Barnsley rate?

Olise long range shot

Olise's was special. The week before Velcro had been saying he needs to add goals to his game, and the following week BOOM, he does it. First senior goal, and of course it was great.

As Snowball said earlier in the thread, he doesn't particularly like them, because they're not team efforts and 99% of these shots go over and wide. But when you get on like this, it is really special.

Meite's was Meite being Meite. Hard working, bustle it in. All count!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2020 11:55

skipper

Olise long range shot

Olise's was special. The week before Velcro had been saying he needs to add goals to his game, and the following week BOOM, he does it. First senior goal, and of course it was great.

As Snowball said earlier in the thread, he doesn't particularly like them, because they're not team efforts and 99% of these shots go over and wide. But when you get on like this, it is really special.

It wasn't special, the keeper should have saved it.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 25 Sep 2020 12:01

Old Man Andrews
skipper

Olise long range shot

It wasn't special, the keeper should have saved it.

All right Mr 18-posts-a-day - Keep your pants on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2020 12:09

Olise probably on a par with Ejaria's for me.

The technique required to watch it drop, pick your spot and volley it home through a crowd keeping it down is hard. Hence why so many a ballooned.

It was no speculative hit and hope.

By comparison Ejaria's finish was routine, whilst Joao's contribution was great. So I'd say Ejaria's is more an assist of the season contender.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Sep 2020 12:34

Snowflake Royal Olise probably on a par with Ejaria's for me.

The technique required to watch it drop, pick your spot and volley it home through a crowd keeping it down is hard. Hence why so many a ballooned.

It was no speculative hit and hope.

By comparison Ejaria's finish was routine, whilst Joao's contribution was great. So I'd say Ejaria's is more an assist of the season contender.

Yeah Olise will be up there come the end of the season. Was a great shot.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Sep 2020 12:37

Are we not going to be scoring any more goals between now and the end of the season then? Good god you lot are easily impressed/don't have the necessary knowledge to identify good goals.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Sep 2020 12:43

We could argue back and forth but the obvious answer is Nobbers as individuals give a score out of ten for all relevant goals and we thus produce a top ten, with ( just for an example) Ejaria’s goal at the top on (say 8.2) average

So if Ian or Zip or anyone thinks Olise’s goal is really special they score it (say) 8.5 and if enough people agree, it goes top

If some rate it 7 maybe it goes second

That is democratic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Sep 2020 13:02

Ok, seems fair.

Although 10 feels a bit narrow. Can I use decimals?

Olise vs Barnsley 7.9
Ejaria vs Derby 7.3
Joao vs Derby 6.2
Meite vs Barnsley 4.1

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Sep 2020 13:36

Decimals fine

In all seriousness

Say our two favourites were virtually inseparable

Ejaria 8.5