MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by a trip down t'pit

339 posts
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by a trip down t'pit

by Nameless » 19 Sep 2020 18:07

Hendo Didn’t watch the game today and I do understand the frustrations of those watching but sometimes you just have to let the game play out a little bit more. See it a lot with cricket as well (not on here really, but on Twitter), it England aren’t 30-0 off 4 overs it’s an unmitigated disaster.

Yeah, sure, I’d love us to have 5 shots on target by half time but sometimes you do have to give credit to the oppo and they obviously nullified what we were trying to do, but at 0-0 you’re always in the game and it only takes one shot to turn that around. In the end we got the win, so happy days. Olise scores his first senior goal, mega happy day’s. That’ll give him a huge boost of confidence to go with a couple of assists this season already.

Hopefully we can get a couple of new bodies in to boost the squad and go from strength to strength.

No one wants your reasonable, level headed thoughts on here.....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Sep 2020 18:10

Nameless
Hendo Didn’t watch the game today and I do understand the frustrations of those watching but sometimes you just have to let the game play out a little bit more. See it a lot with cricket as well (not on here really, but on Twitter), it England aren’t 30-0 off 4 overs it’s an unmitigated disaster.

Yeah, sure, I’d love us to have 5 shots on target by half time but sometimes you do have to give credit to the oppo and they obviously nullified what we were trying to do, but at 0-0 you’re always in the game and it only takes one shot to turn that around. In the end we got the win, so happy days. Olise scores his first senior goal, mega happy day’s. That’ll give him a huge boost of confidence to go with a couple of assists this season already.

Hopefully we can get a couple of new bodies in to boost the squad and go from strength to strength.

:D

Esteban

by Esteban » 19 Sep 2020 18:21

Sutekh
Jackson Corner Don’t get carried away this is very flattering. Tough on Barnsley. But they haven’t helped themselves.

This. Flattering thanks to silly defensive decisions made by Barnsley. Before then it was the standard issues Reading have always had at home for the last 3 seasons. This is what needs to be addressed urgently by the management.

But then Reading still have to take advantage of the breaks and, of course, playing poorly but still winning is supposedly a sign of a good team.

In fairness, it's pretty much the same players!

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Sep 2020 18:27

Credit where it's due to Barnsley, who were bossing us in the 1st half, though their threat was largely contained by a fairly solid showing from the back line (slightly less solid looking Laurent this week, mind you). Even after our 2nd, and with 9 men, they were still stringing together some lovely bits of play down the wings - but with no sniff of end product.

My frustration today was far more with individual performances from the likes of Swift, who just looked lost. With him, we're always only seconds away from seeing something spectacular, but the bits in between can be infuriating - see also: Ejaria.

We noticeably stood off more again today, and soaked up a lot of pressure. If we let better sides have the space and time that Barnsley took we're going to get punished.

Honourable mention for Araruna, who I thought gave a good account of himself at RB.

Still, winning is contagious, and winning at home feels lovely. Roll on Cardiff and hopefully we can get a few deals across the line this week to add some depth.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:30

Nameless

Clearly it's not what's said, but who says it that's important.

Page 5
Snowflake Royal On the plus side, if we do get Joao a chance he'll probably score it and it's still 0-0

Page 13
Snowflake Royal But we've kept ourselves in the game, taken the gifts and put away our chances and at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points.

Yet I'm relentlessly negative and spent all thread in a fight with someone I didn't once respond to.

:wink:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2020 18:43

Always think it’s a bit of a gamble if you go full on hard press. Likewise didn’t watch but even when they had 11, hearing about how they were playing and them only having 1 on target, I felt pretty confident. It’s one of those tactics I think that ‘looks good’ but I’m genuinely not sure that it’s actually very successful longer term

It’s a good game to get out of the way though and hopefully learn a bit from it. Obvs gets a bit tougher over the next few games

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:46

Hound Always think it’s a bit of a gamble if you go full on hard press. Likewise didn’t watch but even when they had 11, hearing about how they were playing and them only having 1 on target, I felt pretty confident. It’s one of those tactics I think that ‘looks good’ but I’m genuinely not sure that it’s actually very successful longer term

It’s a good game to get out of the way though and hopefully learn a bit from it. Obvs gets a bit tougher over the next few games

I think there's a pretty strong correlation between you not watching and feeling confident.

:lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Sep 2020 18:47

Snowflake Royal
Hound Always think it’s a bit of a gamble if you go full on hard press. Likewise didn’t watch but even when they had 11, hearing about how they were playing and them only having 1 on target, I felt pretty confident. It’s one of those tactics I think that ‘looks good’ but I’m genuinely not sure that it’s actually very successful longer term

I think there's a pretty strong correlation between you not watching and feeling confident.

Maybe...

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 19 Sep 2020 19:11

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Page 5
Snowflake Royal On the plus side, if we do get Joao a chance he'll probably score it and it's still 0-0

Page 13
Snowflake Royal But we've kept ourselves in the game, taken the gifts and put away our chances and at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points.

Yet I'm relentlessly negative and spent all thread in a fight with someone I didn't once respond to.

You're just tedious - please go away for a bit

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Sep 2020 19:43

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Page 5

Page 13

If it helps I can confirm no one wants your opinions on here either

:lol: :x :wink:

When I say ‘everyone’ I obviously am only referring to OMA....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 19:59

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Maybe...

You would have felt differently if you had watched it. The first 60 minutes was dreadful. Not a single attempt on goal. It was all just so laboured. A re-run of what we have seen in the worst of performances at the stadium in recent years.
Still we got the win but will need to improve a lot on that next Saturday.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2020 21:00

Zip
Hound
Snowflake Royal I think there's a pretty strong correlation between you not watching and feeling confident.

Maybe...

You would have felt differently if you had watched it. The first 60 minutes was dreadful. Not a single attempt on goal. It was all just so laboured. A re-run of what we have seen in the worst of performances at the stadium in recent years.

Also away performances. Far too easy to play against.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Sep 2020 21:59

Lower West
Zip
Hound
Maybe...

Also away performances. Far too easy to play against.

Hasn’t our away form actually been pretty decent since the turn of the year/when Bowen took over?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 22:19

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Page 5

Page 13

If it helps I can confirm no one wants your opinions on here either

:lol: :x :wink:

When I say ‘everyone’ I obviously am only referring to OMA....

:P

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Sep 2020 22:30

Ian can be tedious and self aggrandising but I feel embarrassed for OMA and his clown act today.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Sep 2020 22:48

We looked very poor before Meite came on and it’s reassuring we have a manager that was able to see the obvious change that helped shift the mood of the game. We will need to improve massively if we want to continue this start but the manager can’t do that overnight, once he has got the chance to stamp in his ideas we will see if these results are really sustainable or if it’s new manager bounce.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Sep 2020 23:56

Zip We desperately need wingers. We need more pace in this side.
Urghh stream has crashed.

Agreed

Today’s game was good for two reasons. Primarily because we won but also shows the deficiencies of the current setup

Press is too easy against us as we’re too narrow and there isn’t enough of an outlet out wide
Badly struggled in the first half because of it and really hope the problem is addressed

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2020 01:05

URZZZZ
Zip We desperately need wingers. We need more pace in this side.
Urghh stream has crashed.

Agreed

Today’s game was good for two reasons. Primarily because we won but also shows the deficiencies of the current setup

Press is too easy against us as we’re too narrow and there isn’t enough of an outlet out wide
Badly struggled in the first half because of it and really hope the problem is addressed

This is how I felt. Even when we had an extra man we didn’t stretch them down the flanks. There was a point in the second half when Olise was in the middle of the pitch and there was an ocean of space down our right flank but no one there.

We need two wingers. Hopefully this Riquelme lad will sign and live up to the hype.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Sep 2020 01:25

I was disappointed that TWICE we squandered what would have been almost certain goals towards the end of the game. Firstly with Puscas who shot from a tight angle to the right of the goal when a simple square pass to Ejaria (and Aluko behind him) was on, and secondly when Ejaria pissed about when he should have laid it on for Puscas on his left.... though literally as I’m writing this and putting two and two together, perhaps in the second incident I wasn’t the only one who remembered Puscas’ prior selfishness :P

339 posts