339 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by a trip down t'pit

by Sutekh » 15 Sep 2020 15:00

When : Saturday 19th September 2020, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Saturday sees Barnsley head in to town. The good news is that this is the one home league fixture that Reading have played this year and managed to win :shock: Yes, that 2-0 win back on 29th February is the one moment of league success amongst 11 mostly miserable attempts. It is also the only game in that run in which Reading scored more than once in a total of 8 scored and 18 conceded. Let's hoe it's not another 4 years until Reading see another home league win!

Though it maybe Barnsley, as we know Reading usually aren't very good with potential banana skins, remember the Barnsley home fixture back in 2011, beaten at home 2-1 and missed three penalties, therefore there is nothing that should be taken for granted even after a good performance and return on the opening day at Derby. But then that was the season Reading went up so perhaps we should all be hoping for something similar...

Barnsley are what they usually are, a strong tip for relegation, but past experience usually shows they are up for a fight and I'm expected a well drilled, organised defensive opponent to heave into view so Reading will more than likely need all the creative players to be bang on form. And we are still in the opening stages when freak results happen more often, so it's down to the club to prove that the freak result was NOT at Derby last week.

Bit of an 'iffy' start for Barnsley so far. After beating Forest in the first round of the league cup to set up a trip to Middlesbrough, the Tykes went down 1-0 at home to Luton on the opening day, on top of that there is talk that the club are looking to relocate away from Oakwell, Barnsley's home for 133 years, after a row with the local council over the purchase of the ground.

Reading expect to have Yakou Meite available after he completed his 3 match ban against Luton. In addition new signings are promised before the end of the window with, currently, defensive midfielder Alfa Semedo being the most likely addition before Saturday (there that should ensure a host of new faces, none of whom will be Semedo, arriving on Friday).

Referee

Mr Tim "1 league point for Reading out of 18 (but that was the last time out)" Robinson

Previously

18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 3-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Recently Barnsley have had an annoying habit of turning up, being dour, and going home with 3 points.

Overall though this game is the Tykes' 36th league trip to Reading and they've only won 6 of the previous 34 games in total compared to Reading's 19 victories. Of the 10 league draws in Reading, a whopping 8 of them have finished 0-0.

But 3 of those 6 Barnsley wins have been in the last 6 games played.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (h) sponsored by a trip down t'pit

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Sep 2020 15:02

If QPR lose by a single goal to Coventry on Friday we will go into this game in 1st place.

Pointless fact 1/2 games in but whatevs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Sep 2020 15:08

tidus_mi2 If QPR lose by a single goal to Coventry on Friday we will go into this game in 1st place.

Pointless fact 1/2 games in but whatevs.

Any table not showing us top is wrong. EFL rules have away goals as a tiebreaker. Of course, it means diddly at this point but still.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 15 Sep 2020 15:23

Hopefully see a similar team to Saturday with Laurent and Rhino as the two hard runners either side of Swift. Maybe with Meite to come back in after suspension as a like for like replacement for Olise.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Sep 2020 15:32

Tim Robinson is a silly little man and most likely a petty thief.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Sep 2020 23:57

Got to be the same team as Derby but after tonight, not many can claim they warrant a place on the bench

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Bristow
McIntyre/Holmes
Aluko
Meite
Baldock/Puscas

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 16 Sep 2020 07:02

Sutekh

When : Saturday 19th September 2020, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Saturday sees Barnsley head in to town. The good news is that this is the one home league fixture that Reading have played this year and managed to win :shock: Yes, that 2-0 win back on 29th February is the one moment of league success amongst 11 mostly miserable attempts. It is also the only game in that run in which Reading scored more than once in a total of 8 scored and 18 conceded. Let's hoe it's not another 4 years until Reading see another home league win!

Though it maybe Barnsley, as we know Reading usually aren't very good with potential banana skins, remember the Barnsley home fixture back in 2011, beaten at home 2-1 and missed three penalties, therefore there is nothing that should be taken for granted even after a good performance and return on the opening day at Derby. But then that was the season Reading went up so perhaps we should all be hoping for something similar...

Barnsley are what they usually are, a strong tip for relegation, but past experience usually shows they are up for a fight and I'm expected a well drilled, organised defensive opponent to heave into view so Reading will more than likely need all the creative players to be bang on form. And we are still in the opening stages when freak results happen more often, so it's down to the club to prove that the freak result was NOT at Derby last week.

Bit of an 'iffy' start for Barnsley so far. After beating Forest in the first round of the league cup to set up a trip to Middlesbrough, the Tykes went down 1-0 at home to Luton on the opening day, on top of that there is talk that the club are looking to relocate away from Oakwell, Barnsley's home for 133 years, after a row with the local council over the purchase of the ground.

Reading expect to have Yakou Meite available after he completed his 3 match ban against Luton. In addition new signings are promised before the end of the window with, currently, defensive midfielder Alfa Semedo being the most likely addition before Saturday (there that should ensure a host of new faces, none of whom will be Semedo, arriving on Friday).

Referee

Mr Tim "1 league point for Reading out of 18 (but that was the last time out)" Robinson

Previously

18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 3-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

Recently Barnsley have had an annoying habit of turning up, being dour, and going home with 3 points.

Overall though this game is the Tykes' 36th league trip to Reading and they've only won 6 of the previous 34 games in total compared to Reading's 19 victories. Of the 10 league draws in Reading, a whopping 8 of them have finished 0-0.

But 3 of those 6 Barnsley wins have been in the last 6 games played.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Er, we lost 4-3 at Blackburn in July.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2020 08:06

URZZZZ Got to be the same team as Derby but after tonight, not many can claim they warrant a place on the bench

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Sep 2020 08:08

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ Got to be the same team as Derby but after tonight, not many can claim they warrant a place on the bench

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

Heard a lot of good things about Come On Pretty Mama.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Sep 2020 10:36

i think it'll be a fairly good indication as to where we are as a team. Derby were obviously dreadful. And also after last year's home form, getting 3 home points on the board early is pretty important

Got to be the same team as Derby, Meite back in on the bench. And just hope Joao is and stays fit as always.

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 16 Sep 2020 11:30

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

If Ooh I wanna take ya makes the bench might as well fold the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Sep 2020 14:09

Don't Panic
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I agree with that bench.

If Ooh I wanna take ya makes the bench might as well fold the club.

How can you leave out Key Largo?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 16 Sep 2020 15:32

NewCorkSeth

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

I so want this to be the post selected for printing in the I newspaper.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Sep 2020 15:41

morganb
NewCorkSeth

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

Sadly I dont think they usually choose poking fun at typos.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 16 Sep 2020 18:01

I think this will be a trickier game than perhaps many expect.

I don't buy them as relegation candidates like in previous seasons - it's well established they have the youngest squad in the league (23.2 for their game last weekend - a full year younger than 2nd youngest) and play a pressing style that is high energy and well drilled by an excellent manager. They kept that squad together, and managed to get some key loanees from last year back for this season plus a few more highly rated youngsters keen to play for a manager with a big future. A year older, and with a pre-season to further build that style and I think they could surprise a few. Their spreads place their expected position at 15th this year - 2 places (but only 1 pt ) higher than ours. 538's model has them predicted 16th (with an equal prob of 13% to get relegated vs make play offs), with us 20th (16% relegation, 11% play off). I've seen a few league predictors put them as a dark horse for a playoff space.

They were looking like they would be dead and buried before Struber came in at November 2019 which resulted in a uptick to mid/lower-mid table performances without getting the results (many metrics had them operating around 15th). After lockdown those results finally came and they caught up the 7 point gap to safety, including an eye catching away win at Brentford on the final day. The narrative of bottle job Brentford was quite weak and lazy.

But the reason I'm most concerned is stylistic - a well drilled pressing machine against a team who haven't had the chance to develop a style and a manager with his feet barely under the table. We have struggled in past to play through a press, so I can see it happening - especially if the onus is on us to go for it at home and leave us exposed on the counter too. If we do go for it I think it could be a good game for a neutral.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Sep 2020 18:19

Brain Traysers I think this will be a trickier game than perhaps many expect.

I don't buy them as relegation candidates like in previous seasons - it's well established they have the youngest squad in the league (23.2 for their game last weekend - a full year younger than 2nd youngest) and play a pressing style that is high energy and well drilled by an excellent manager. They kept that squad together, and managed to get some key loanees from last year back for this season plus a few more highly rated youngsters keen to play for a manager with a big future. A year older, and with a pre-season to further build that style and I think they could surprise a few. Their spreads place their expected position at 15th this year - 2 places (but only 1 pt ) higher than ours. 538's model has them predicted 16th (with an equal prob of 13% to get relegated vs make play offs), with us 20th (16% relegation, 11% play off). I've seen a few league predictors put them as a dark horse for a playoff space.

They were looking like they would be dead and buried before Struber came in at November 2019 which resulted in a uptick to mid/lower-mid table performances without getting the results (many metrics had them operating around 15th). After lockdown those results finally came and they caught up the 7 point gap to safety, including an eye catching away win at Brentford on the final day. The narrative of bottle job Brentford was quite weak and lazy.

But the reason I'm most concerned is stylistic - a well drilled pressing machine against a team who haven't had the chance to develop a style and a manager with his feet barely under the table. We have struggled in past to play through a press, so I can see it happening - especially if the onus is on us to go for it at home and leave us exposed on the counter too. If we do go for it I think it could be a good game for a neutral.

I very much agree. They look like they play a tight game, too
and won 0-2 at Boro and beat Forest, wasn't? it also in cup.

Luton did them 0-1 but they have only lost 1 in 13 or 14

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2020 18:22

NewCorkSeth

Probably plump with:

Southwood
Araruba
Jamaica
Ooh I wanna take ya
Bermuda
Bahama
Come on pretty mama

I agree with that bench.

Thanks, I needed that chuckle. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2020 18:32

Personally I bring Meite straight back in.

I think he's likely to be less effective off the bench and I'm not keen on us playing all 5 midfielders at once.

Harsh on someone, but it may be required with Ejaria's knock anyway.

Aluko will never feature on my team sheet, so bench of:

Southwood
McIntyre
Araruna
Puscas
Baldock
Holmes
Olise / Ejaria / Tetek

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 16 Sep 2020 19:01

Snowball
Brain Traysers I think this will be a trickier game than perhaps many expect.

I very much agree. They look like they play a tight game, too
and won 0-2 at Boro and beat Forest, wasn't? it also in cup.

Luton did them 0-1 but they have only lost 1 in 13 or 14

(Barnsley have been) Not quite as good as that - but only 3 losses (H - Luton, A - Leeds, A - Stoke) in their last 12 (10 league games + the 2 cup wins you flagged). 2 losses before that (H - Cardiff, H -RFC) followed 3 straight wins, so very respectable record of 7 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses over 15 league games

(After working that out I now realize you were talking about Luton, who have indeed only lost 1 in last 13 league games - our demolition job. But I'm less convinced by their underlying numbers compared with Barnsley)

Their last 10 away league games Barnsley generated more xG than their opponents in 7 games. Those 7 include wins at Brentford, Fulham as well as the 1-0 loss to Leeds. Given that, its odd that the three exceptions were games at Bristol City, QPR and Stoke.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Sep 2020 19:25

NewCorkSeth
morganb
NewCorkSeth I agree with that bench.

Sadly I dont think they usually choose poking fun at typos.

The formatting is the big issue.

There was a time when we could have fielded a bench of Bacuna, Jaakkola, Obita, Gunter, Tiago, Aluko, and Mo Barrow.

339 posts