BF I follow Barnsley

226 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BF I follow Barnsley

by royalp-we » 19 Sep 2020 18:19

Wise words from Paunovic: "We have to stay humble. This is just the beginning and we haven't done anything. It's a good start but it's just the start. I don't want anyone to think this is going to be easy. It's a long season and we have to manage the expectations we are creating.

I'll be the first one to say, hey, hold on. I am enjoying things but I am reminding myself it's only the beginning. We have to prove ourselves in every single game and throughout the whole season. It's not going to be easy but we'll give our best"

Blokes got a point. He’s being realistic. The next two look like some of the toughest oppo we’ll face all season

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2020 18:21

CountryRoyal
Pepe the Horseman Great stat doing the rounds on twitter

Since it was founded in 2004, 100% of teams who were top of the Championship after two games have gone on to be promoted #readingfc

Certainly seems legit.

No way that's true.

Think I'm due a whooosh.

After 2 games

2019/2020 - Sheffield Wednesday X
2018/2019 - Leeds X
2017/2018 - Cardiff YES
2016/2017 - QPR X
2015/2016 - Brighton - YES went up via playoffs.

Was just interested more than anything else, not like we needed proof being top after 2 games means nothing :lol:

However if someone wanted to find me the percentage of teams that were top after 2 games, having won both games without conceding a goal, who then went on to be promoted that would be great. :wink:
Last edited by CountryRoyal on 19 Sep 2020 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:21

royalp-we Wise words from Paunovic: "We have to stay humble. This is just the beginning and we haven't done anything. It's a good start but it's just the start. I don't want anyone to think this is going to be easy. It's a long season and we have to manage the expectations we are creating.

I'll be the first one to say, hey, hold on. I am enjoying things but I am reminding myself it's only the beginning. We have to prove ourselves in every single game and throughout the whole season. It's not going to be easy but we'll give our best"

Wise words indeed.

Got to manage the expectations of our fans who frequently think one win means we'll win the league and one loss and we'll be double relegated.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Sep 2020 18:32

Fox Talbot
Old Man Andrews
paddy20 Win yes but awful performance overall. Swift looked like he didnt want to be here never once chased a lost ball. Very sloppy midfield and no pace until Meite came on.

We won 2-0. Everything else you have said is irrelevant.

It would irrelevant if this was the 46th game of the season.

I'm not saying the ref was wrong with the reds but we really didn't look like winning 11 v 11.

If the flag hadn't incorrectly gone up against Swift in the first few minutes, we would likely have been 1 up early and a different game. Barnsley pressed brilliantly but we kept drawing fouls, whilst the first red was a bit lucky, I think we would have seen them lose a man eventually.

Defensively we looked pretty solid under pressure, Rafael had what 1 save to make. It was a sloppy performance but with enough flashes of quality to not get too het up over. We won't face too many teams pressing with such high intensity.

Silverfox

by Silverfox » 19 Sep 2020 18:37

After last week's excellent display that was a pretty dire performance. We were outplayed and outfought by a hard working but pretty average side who just escaped the drop last year. If they hadn't self destructed there is no way we would have won that game.

Their high pressing game pushed us back most of the match until the sending offs, and even with 9 men still managed to pass the ball better than us and quite understandably ran out of steam

If you check out the Barnsley Fan forum they think we were dogshite and to be fair we were for 60 minutes, maybe this puts into context how poor Derby were last week.

Ajaria and Swift had v poor games today, with Swift having his second stinker in a week and Ajaria hanging on to the ball too long and running into dead ends! You have to have a final product if you continually do Hollywood dribbling.

Meite saved the game for us today and its good to have him back from suspension. Olise has a great future and Richards had a good match.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2020 18:40

Silverfox After last week's excellent display that was a pretty dire performance. We were outplayed and outfought by a hard working but pretty average side who just escaped the drop last year. If they hadn't self destructed there is no way we would have won that game.

Their high pressing game pushed us back most of the match until the sending offs, and even with 9 men still managed to pass the ball better than us and quite understandably ran out of steam

If you check out the Barnsley Fan forum they think we were dogshite and to be fair we were for 60 minutes, maybe this puts into context how poor Derby were last week.

Ajaria and Swift had v poor games today, with Swift having his second stinker in a week and Ajaria hanging on to the ball too long and running into dead ends! You have to have a final product if you continually do Hollywood dribbling.

Meite saved the game for us today and its good to have him back from suspension. Olise has a great future and Richards had a good match.

We won. I couldn't give a single fcuk what someone is saying on a Barnsley forum. We won, they lost.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:41

Stranded
Fox Talbot
Old Man Andrews We won 2-0. Everything else you have said is irrelevant.

I'm not saying the ref was wrong with the reds but we really didn't look like winning 11 v 11.

If the flag hadn't incorrectly gone up against Swift in the first few minutes, we would likely have been 1 up early and a different game. Barnsley pressed brilliantly but we kept drawing fouls, whilst the first red was a bit lucky, I think we would have seen them lose a man eventually.

Defensively we looked pretty solid under pressure, Rafael had what 1 save to make. It was a sloppy performance but with enough flashes of quality to not get too het up over. We won't face too many teams pressing with such high intensity.

Think that's a pretty optimistic view of Swift breaking given he fluffed at least 1 if not 2 breaks against Derby and there was a defender right up with him.

Plus if my auntie had bollox etc.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:43

Since it was founded in 2004, 100% of teams who were top of the Championship after two games have gone on to be promoted #readingfc

Certainly seems legit.

Didn't Blackpool win their first 5 games then get relegated? Hard to see how they weren't top 2 early on.

Sunderland also won the league having lost their first 5 so that seems unlikely the top 2 finished second and won the POs. That season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2020 18:44

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Fox Talbot

Think that's a pretty optimistic view of Swift breaking given he fluffed at least 1 if not 2 breaks against Derby and there was a defender right up with him.

Plus if my auntie had bollox etc.

Your auntie has more bollox than you pal.

More negativity, more whining and moaning. Go and support another team, you said you were done with the club. We were all excited.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Sep 2020 18:48

So Richards actually got whoscored motm. Seems he passed both the eye test and the stat test.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 18:50

NewCorkSeth So Richards actually got whoscored motm. Seems he passed both the eye test and the stat test.

Best I’ve seen him play. Really pleased he won MoTM.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2020 18:50

Derby lost to Luton today. Gives last week a degree of perspective.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Sep 2020 18:50

Snowflake Royal

Certainly seems legit.

Didn't Blackpool win their first 5 games then get relegated? Hard to see how they weren't top 2 early on.

Sunderland also won the league having lost their first 5 so that seems unlikely the top 2 finished second and won the POs. That season.

Amazed he got 2 bites on this..

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 19 Sep 2020 18:50

Singing Defective Ok not utterly convincing, but we can only play what’s in front of us, yada, yada, yada.

But, but the Olise goal. How? In that time? With his weaker leg?

Olise does everything with his left foot and scored with his left foot !!!!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2020 18:52

Lower West Derby lost to Luton today. Gives last week a degree of perspective.

Let's ask the Football League to deduct the 3 points from our win against Derby because Luton beat them.....

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Sep 2020 18:52

Zip
NewCorkSeth So Richards actually got whoscored motm. Seems he passed both the eye test and the stat test.

Best I’ve seen him play. Really pleased he won MoTM.

Yeah, as I said on the match thread (as you did too) he looked like he was going to be our only player who came out of that game with any credit. He read the opposition so well and looked unbeatable. Long may it continue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 18:52

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Certainly seems legit.

I'm old and don't understand Twitter humour.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 19 Sep 2020 18:54

Top of the league. Thought we played like it and were class. Knew we'd get the result from the first minute - yes Barnsley were pressing well but they weren't creating much and were always going to tire whether the had the reds or not. We were just waiting for our chance to punish them. We barely had to get out of 1st gear.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Sep 2020 18:56

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Didn't Blackpool win their first 5 games then get relegated? Hard to see how they weren't top 2 early on.

I'm old and don't understand Twitter humour.

Just to assist you, Pepe is the one who tweeted that fact.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Sep 2020 18:57

Ian is on Twatter not Twitter.

226 posts