BF I follow Barnsley

226 posts
Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BF I follow Barnsley

by Fox Talbot » 19 Sep 2020 20:59

Richards MOM For me. Looks tougher, more mature, more confident, bigger?? than last season.

Meite is never going to be a really great player but his zest and eye for goal is very welcome.

Read somewhere that in this league if you’re in the top two after seven games you’ve got a 50% chance of going up. Almost every season one of the top two at this point goes up.

Mustn’t grumble about results so far :wink: and we did play very well v Derby.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2020 21:02

Fox Talbot
Meite is never going to be a really great player but his zest and eye for goal is very welcome.

Still only 24. In a better team will excel.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 21:09

Lower West
Fox Talbot

He is improving all the time. Interesting team selection for Paunovic next Saturday. Does Yak start? If he does then who drops out?

JR

by JR » 19 Sep 2020 21:19

karbota A truly woeful, awful win,. The first half not a shot on target, gifted two really dubious reds especially the second.

Cabral - 7 one good save kept us in, but poor distribution.
Araruna - 5 sloppy.
Morrison - 6 better but a bit slow.
Moore - 5 not good enough.
Richards - 4 wont be here long.
Rinomhota - 6 fair, but needs to get his fitness back
Laurent - 4 cant see the point.
Swift - 4 better we cash him in quick, very poor.
Olise - 8 a great strike, classy player but needs to get more involved.
Ejaria -5 tricky but no end product
Joao - 4 Rubbish.

Meite - 7 made the difference.
Aluko - 6 a few flashes of potential, and put in some great crosses.
Puscas- 4 too greedy, not up to the championship, move him on.

“A truly awful, woeful win”

Please leave this board and don’t come back if that’s your attitude.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 19 Sep 2020 21:22

Lower West
Fox Talbot

I got told on Friday, "you'll do well this season. You've got Meite haven't you." From a Millwall fan. If you score goals and are big and quick you will get noticed at this level.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 Sep 2020 21:27

CountryRoyal http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/my-god-reading-are-bad.295371/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a car crash of a thread. What a bunch of mongs.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Sep 2020 21:28

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
If the flag hadn't incorrectly gone up against Swift in the first few minutes, we would likely have been 1 up early and a different game. Barnsley pressed brilliantly but we kept drawing fouls, whilst the first red was a bit lucky, I think we would have seen them lose a man eventually.

Defensively we looked pretty solid under pressure, Rafael had what 1 save to make. It was a sloppy performance but with enough flashes of quality to not get too het up over. We won't face too many teams pressing with such high intensity.

Think that's a pretty optimistic view of Swift breaking given he fluffed at least 1 if not 2 breaks against Derby and there was a defender right up with him.

Plus if my auntie had bollox etc.

Same could be used to counter the ‘we’d never have won if they hadn’t had 2 sent off’. They did, and one of the cards seems to have been the direct result of a tactical ploy by the manager !

Glad someone picked up on my point.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Sep 2020 21:32

Lower West
Fox Talbot

Sheffield Utd?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Sep 2020 21:33

Zip
Lower West
Fox Talbot

He is improving all the time. Interesting team selection for Paunovic next Saturday. Does Yak start? If he does then who drops out?

Swift?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Sep 2020 21:34

Snowball
Zip
Lower West

Swift?

It’s a big call.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Sep 2020 21:50

I just feel inherently negative as a Reading fan recently. Our style of play isn't quite suited to being at home. We didn't cope with pressing in the 1st half. We only won because of red cards. Charlton started last season well and they went down.

I'm not sure how rational these thoughts are. Ultimately several years of dire football have ground me down. I'm now so cynical that I won't be excited until we're 12 points clear. Which is sad. 2 wins from 2 should be cause for excitement
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 19 Sep 2020 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 Sep 2020 21:51

paultheroyal

The Barnsley lot have always come off like that, last season they were very outwardly celebrating Wigan's administration and point deduction that kept them up. I feel most other clubs in that situation would have been a lot more humble.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2020 21:58

Zip
Lower West
Fox Talbot

Ejaria.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Sep 2020 22:01

Zip
Snowball
Zip

Swift?

It’s a big call.

Possibly the right call and move either Ovie or Olise in where they are more suited.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 22:09

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Stranded
If the flag hadn't incorrectly gone up against Swift in the first few minutes, we would likely have been 1 up early and a different game. Barnsley pressed brilliantly but we kept drawing fouls, whilst the first red was a bit lucky, I think we would have seen them lose a man eventually.

Defensively we looked pretty solid under pressure, Rafael had what 1 save to make. It was a sloppy performance but with enough flashes of quality to not get too het up over. We won't face too many teams pressing with such high intensity.

Think that's a pretty optimistic view of Swift breaking given he fluffed at least 1 if not 2 breaks against Derby and there was a defender right up with him.

Same could be used to counter the ‘we’d never have won if they hadn’t had 2 sent off’. They did, and one of the cards seems to have been the direct result of a tactical ploy by the manager !

Absolutely, which is why I don't think you'll find me saying we wouldn't have won without the reds, but that we were somewhat lucky to get the reds and took advantage of them.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 19 Sep 2020 22:11

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal Think that's a pretty optimistic view of Swift breaking given he fluffed at least 1 if not 2 breaks against Derby and there was a defender right up with him.

Absolutely, which is why I don't think you'll find me saying we wouldn't have won without the reds, but that we were somewhat lucky to get the reds and took advantage of them.

And why no one suggested you did...
Not sure why luck was involved. First one Joao was tripped by the last defender with a clear run on goal, second one was handball when ona yellow....

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Sep 2020 22:14

tidus_mi2
paultheroyal

The Barnsley lot have always come off like that, last season they were very outwardly celebrating Wigan's administration and point deduction that kept them up. I feel most other clubs in that situation would have been a lot more humble.

Their forum does seem to be an amplified collection of their biggest tools. Always had good interactions with them in person.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 22:17

Nameless
Snowflake Royal
Nameless

And why no one suggested you did...
Not sure why luck was involved. First one Joao was tripped by the last defender with a clear run on goal, second one was handball when ona yellow....

Last defender is an irrelevance.

For me, Joao was never beating the keeper to the ball, which makes it not a clear goalscoring opportunity, which makes it not a red.

I think what tipped the ref into the red is that there had already been one challenge taking down a player (Olise) trying to break through on goal (but who had absolutely no chance of getting to the ball first), so given this was closer and he'd already got a hard time from us on the first one he took the slightly easier option.

Also think it's hard to say the second was an arm in an unnatural position, but the game was already done by that point.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2020 22:26

Zip
Lower West
Fox Talbot

Yes. Should be Swift.

Quiet against Derby. Bad against Barnsley. Not effective as a No 10, can't play wide right or wide left.

Will probably be Olise or Laurent.

I'd go
......Rino, Laurent
Meite, Olise, Ejaria
............Joao

I guess Velcro will go

.......Rino, Olise
Meite, Swift, Ejaria

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Sep 2020 22:39

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Lower West

Yes. Should be Swift.

Quiet against Derby. Bad against Barnsley. Not effective as a No 10, can't play wide right or wide left.

Will probably be Olise or Laurent.

I'd go
......Rino, Laurent
Meite, Olise, Ejaria
............Joao

I guess Velcro will go

.......Rino, Olise
Meite, Swift, Ejaria

Neither option looked balanced. Same old problem of shoe horning players into a formation. Poor recruitment policy is very apparent.

226 posts