Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BF I follow Barnsley

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 12:48

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews Ian being schooled.

Again.

Not really, we just see things differently ....

Although clearly I’m right :D

You're 100% correct.

Ian doesn't understand football, we have seen further proof of this earlier today.

Actually I’m starting to think Snowflake might have a point....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2020 12:59

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Not really, we just see things differently ....

Although clearly I’m right :D

You're 100% correct.

Ian doesn't understand football, we have seen further proof of this earlier today.

Stop trying to crawl up his arse, you're embarrassing yourself. You don't need to be scared of him, don't be intimidated.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 13:03

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Old Man Andrews You're 100% correct.

Stop trying to crawl up his arse, you're embarrassing yourself. You don't need to be scared of him, don't be intimidated.

Sorry, thanks for putting me straight.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Sep 2020 13:04

Fcuk me OMA, you're the only person who's embarrassed himself on here over the last 2 days.

No, I don't particularly agree with Ian's point but I haven't spent the last week repeatedly trying to conduct a one man flame war with him.

Grow up.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 20 Sep 2020 14:22

Nameless
Snowflake Royal Sigh. Obviously the location and number of defenders present can be relevant. But that doesn't say anything about 'last defender's. If there's three defenders directly between you and goal it's not a clear goalscoring opportunity, is it.

Being the 'last defender' and fouling doesn't automatically make it a goalscoring opportunity and red card by default, which is a common misconception and spread by poor pundits and commentators, which is why it's an unuseful phrase because it promotes misunderstanding.

Last defender doesn't matter. There can be other defenders back and it's still a red, there can be no other defenders back and it's a definite yellow - see Olise incident.

But this is becoming tedious in the extreme so I'm out.

Always impressive when someone is shown to be wrong so flounces off....

He will never ever admit he is wrong about anything so does the flounce.

I've done a referee course and I know for a fact he is clearly wrong.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 20 Sep 2020 14:47

Snowflake Royal
royalp-we We certainly still need to start games better at home. I think everyone can agree it really wasn’t impressive up to Barnsley going down to 10.

If we persist with 1 up top at home, to actually create anything we NEED Swift, Olise and Ejaria to play closer together to create openings between them.

Olise and Ejaria were far too wide and too far from each other to create anything meaningful and it showed In the first half today. They simply are not wide players.

Two strikers at home with new wingers, or stick with our three best creative players behind the lone striker and work on things?

I guess it’s a good predicament to have for Pauno!

I thought we spent vast swathes of the first half playing into Barnsley's hand by playing extremely narrow and allowing them to squeeze the space and hunt in packs. Mick made several comments about being able to throw a blanket over the whole team. Olise spent half his time in the middle or even over on the left rather than out wide right.

The rule in football has always been the attacking team tries to spread play, stretch the opposition and make the pitch big whilst the defending team try to compact everything and make the pitch small.

We've been pretty poor at both of those for years. So often have our defensive shape spread and players pressing in ones or twos, defenders isolated or standing off. Whilst our attackers are often close together and marked by two or three opposition at once.

We needed to play out quicker and use the full width of the pitch better.

Whilst I agree in part, the general rule in football is not to spread play. If you want to play with wide men - you play with wingers or forwards out wide like meite and like you say, exploit the space. But Olise and Ejaria are wasted out there.

If we want to play Ejaria, Swift and Olise in the same team they have to play closer together to carve open opportunities and not isolate themselves.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2020 14:53

The problem with saying the keeper would definitely have cleared is we have no idea of how an unimpeded Joao would have closed down the ball.

retro royal

by retro royal » 20 Sep 2020 16:42

I totally dislike how we defend corners we just invite pressure allowing the opposition to flood our box, you need to keep someone up top maybe a smaller player with pace, they'll leave a few defenders back.

Fair play to Barnsley, think we probably would have scored as they tired, but they will suprise a few this season

Great to be looking below us for the rights reasons

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 17:02

retro royal I totally dislike how we defend corners we just invite pressure allowing the opposition to flood our box, you need to keep someone up top maybe a smaller player with pace, they'll leave a few defenders back.

Fair play to Barnsley, think we probably would have scored as they tired, but they will suprise a few this season

Great to be looking below us for the rights reasons

Are we still trying to do zonal marking ?
Always seems to give the attacking side a huge advantage....

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 20 Sep 2020 17:17

Well the Christianson sending off in the Chelsea game is pretty much identical with regards the distance between the 'last' defender, the attacker and the goal keeper. Red card.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 17:21

One Beer is never enough. Well the Christianson sending off in the Chelsea game is pretty much identical with regards the distance between the 'last' defender, the attacker and the goal keeper. Red card.

Last defenderis irrelevant, and use of the term may be punishable with a short prison term.

Did the ref in the Chelsea game ring IanRoyal to check whether the keeper would have cleared the ball ?

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 20 Sep 2020 17:32

Nameless
One Beer is never enough. Well the Christianson sending off in the Chelsea game is pretty much identical with regards the distance between the 'last' defender, the attacker and the goal keeper. Red card.

Last defenderis irrelevant, and use of the term may be punishable with a short prison term.

Did the ref in the Chelsea game ring IanRoyal to check whether the keeper would have cleared the ball ?

I used that phrase in inverted comma's due to the tediousness of the argument. And yes, IanRoyal spoke to the ref through the pitchside monitor if twatter is to be believed...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 17:32

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal
royalp-we We certainly still need to start games better at home. I think everyone can agree it really wasn’t impressive up to Barnsley going down to 10.

If we persist with 1 up top at home, to actually create anything we NEED Swift, Olise and Ejaria to play closer together to create openings between them.

Olise and Ejaria were far too wide and too far from each other to create anything meaningful and it showed In the first half today. They simply are not wide players.

Two strikers at home with new wingers, or stick with our three best creative players behind the lone striker and work on things?

I guess it’s a good predicament to have for Pauno!

I thought we spent vast swathes of the first half playing into Barnsley's hand by playing extremely narrow and allowing them to squeeze the space and hunt in packs. Mick made several comments about being able to throw a blanket over the whole team. Olise spent half his time in the middle or even over on the left rather than out wide right.

The rule in football has always been the attacking team tries to spread play, stretch the opposition and make the pitch big whilst the defending team try to compact everything and make the pitch small.

We've been pretty poor at both of those for years. So often have our defensive shape spread and players pressing in ones or twos, defenders isolated or standing off. Whilst our attackers are often close together and marked by two or three opposition at once.

We needed to play out quicker and use the full width of the pitch better.

Whilst I agree in part, the general rule in football is not to spread play. If you want to play with wide men - you play with wingers or forwards out wide like meite and like you say, exploit the space. But Olise and Ejaria are wasted out there.

If we want to play Ejaria, Swift and Olise in the same team they have to play closer together to carve open opportunities and not isolate themselves.

We need to make sure that Joao doesn't get isolated, but that's more about making sure the central player gets up to support him. And maybe one of the deeper midfielders breaks late to attack the edge of the box. It's this that makes me think Swift isn't really suited to the attacking central role. He's quite slow, not one to really break into the box, better suited to feeding the ball forward. I think Olise and Ejaria are both better suited for that central role and Swift should be competing with Laurent for a deeper position, and possibly losing out to him because Swift isn't much of a box to box player despite his quality.

I think if we want to do well it's really important to use the full width of the pitch through the middle third, something we weren't really doing effectively against Barnsley but were doing better against Derby. We have a lot of players who want to play in tight spaces and slow the game down a bit. We need to counter act that and not just get bogged down in a crowded middle of the park. Making the pitch wider also gives Rinomhota and Laurent much more space to drive forward into. I don't think it was a coincidence neither of them really burst forward, it's because the space infront of them was so crowded.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 17:45

JUstseen the post match comments from the Barnsley manager.
I reckon almost every manager would have whinged that the decisions cost them, that they deserved to win etcetc.
Their guy does say the cards were decisive, but doesn’t complain, doesn’t have a go at the ref and generally comes across as a pretty sensible chap.
Credit where it’s due.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2020 19:14

This ridiculous praising of Barnsley and their manager needs to stop immediately. They are a poor side and will more than likely end up in the relegation zone at the end of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 19:16

Nameless JUstseen the post match comments from the Barnsley manager.
I reckon almost every manager would have whinged that the decisions cost them, that they deserved to win etcetc.
Their guy does say the cards were decisive, but doesn’t complain, doesn’t have a go at the ref and generally comes across as a pretty sensible chap.
Credit where it’s due.

Sounds like a classy guy as well as a good manager. Nice.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2020 19:21

Snowflake Royal
Nameless JUstseen the post match comments from the Barnsley manager.
Credit where it’s due.

Sounds like a classy guy as well as a good manager. Nice.

Go and support them please you sycophant. You seem to love everything about them so bugger off and support them. Awful.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Sep 2020 19:22

Yup, Struber comes across as a decent guy (got some decent results last season inheriting a ‘relegated’ team).....delighted that they stayed up last season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2020 19:27

AthleticoSpizz Yup, Struber comes across as a decent guy (got some decent results last season inheriting a ‘relegated’ team).....delighted that they stayed up last season.

39% win rate having been in a relegation fight. Not bad at all!

50% win rate at Wolfsberger

Done some work in the real world too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Sep 2020 19:28

AthleticoSpizz Yup, Struber comes across as a decent guy (got some decent results last season inheriting a ‘relegated’ team).....delighted that they stayed up last season.

He was known as the Gareth ainsworth of the Championship last year. Of course with Wycombe undeservedly fluking promotion he is no longer allowed to call himself that.

226 posts