Marc McNulty arrested for match fixing

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Marc McNulty arrested for match fixing

by andrew1957 » 06 Oct 2020 10:53

Old Man Andrews
Zammo
Greatwesternline i dont get the anger towards McNulty. he was offered a 4 year deal so he signed it.

he was a very Reading signing and i was excited about him to be honest. It didnt work out, but there is no need for the reaction of some.

He was a signing straight out of the Shorey Kitson Doyle mold, which i would do over and over again compared to signing yet more loanees from bigger clubs that are here today gone tomorrow.

Agreed on all of that. He was a goal machine before he joined us. Strange that it never worked out for him.

Yeah strange there is a huge gulf between League 2 and the Championship.................

It also shows the gulf between the Championship and the Scottish PL - as he did pretty well on loan there last season and will probably score a good few again this season too. But sadly he has proved not good enough at Championship level. He was very poor in the two League Cup games earlier this season.

Equally not his fault that he was offered a stupidly long 4 year contract. It should have only been 2 years and then this saga would be over by now. Interestingly we seem to have learned as Laurent was only offered 2 years this summer - which now in his case feels a tad short as he has been very good so far. There will always be a risk of taking players from the lower leagues - some work out and some don't.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 06 Oct 2020 11:26

Old Man Andrews
Zammo
Old Man Andrews Yeah strange there is a huge gulf between League 2 and the Championship.................

Yeah strange there is such a huge gulf between an Irish pub league and the Premier League, yet Doyle and Long managed it :roll:

Because they were actually decent players. Hope that helps. :roll:

:lol:

McNulty was playing at a higher level than Doyle and Long. You never know how they are gonna turn out before you sign them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2020 12:25

Greatwesternline i dont get the anger towards McNulty. he was offered a 4 year deal so he signed it.

This is a comment I see frequently and just can't get on board with.

It assumes that all contract offers are just thought up by the club and it's a simple case of the player saying yes or no.

A contract is a negotiated agreement between two parties. It's possible that duration was more important to McNulty than wage and he specifically asked for four years.

If you're not happy with a contract you should be unhappy with both parties that negotiated and signed it.

In saying that the only problem I have with McNulty is if he's convicted of match fixing. Decent signing, on a slightly overlong contract, who hasn't had much opportunity here but has simply proven not good enough. It happens, not really anyone's fault or reason to get upset. It's not like he's been totally awful, put in lots of poor performances or been a huge drain on resources.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Oct 2020 12:29

Zammo
Old Man Andrews
Zammo
Yeah strange there is such a huge gulf between an Irish pub league and the Premier League, yet Doyle and Long managed it :roll:

Because they were actually decent players. Hope that helps. :roll:

McNulty was playing at a higher level than Doyle and Long. You never know how they are gonna turn out before you sign them.

Shorey and Kitson were both in the 4th flight when we signed them as well. I'm suprised that McNulty didnt get more of a chance tbh.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 06 Oct 2020 12:37

Snowflake Royal

It assumes that all contract offers are just thought up by the club and it's a simple case of the player saying yes or no.

A contract is a negotiated agreement between two parties. It's possible that duration was more important to McNulty than wage and he specifically asked for four years.

If you're not happy with a contract you should be unhappy with both parties that negotiated and signed it.

In saying that the only problem I have with McNulty is if he's convicted of match fixing. Decent signing, on a slightly overlong contract, who hasn't had much opportunity here but has simply proven not good enough. It happens, not really anyone's fault or reason to get upset. It's not like he's been totally awful, put in lots of poor performances or been a huge drain on resources.

I would never ever begrudge any footballer asking for whatever they can. The club is in a much stronger bargaining position than they are. They dont know the club's finances so have no idea what the club can afford. If a player asks for something and a club gives it to them, that is not the players fault.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Oct 2020 12:40

Greatwesternline
Zammo
Old Man Andrews Because they were actually decent players. Hope that helps. :roll:

Shorey and Kitson were both in the 4th flight when we signed them as well. I'm suprised that McNulty didnt get more of a chance tbh.

Recently Reading have been like the guy who turns his girlfriends gay

How many strikers have we failed? McNulty, Vydra, Grabban, Sharp? Others

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2020 12:41

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal

I would never ever begrudge any footballer asking for whatever they can. The club is in a much stronger bargaining position than they are. They dont know the club's finances so have no idea what the club can afford. If a player asks for something and a club gives it to them, that is not the players fault.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I think you massively underestimate player power as well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2020 13:09

Snowball
Greatwesternline
Zammo

Recently Reading have been like the guy who turns his girlfriends gay

How many strikers have we failed? McNulty, Vydra, Grabban, Sharp? Others

One of those is not like the others! Swap McNulty for Chris Martin, although to be fair to all involved he was very sick. Could maybe put Afobe in with them although he was deservedly kept out by Jason Roberts.

I’d group McNulty with the likes of Manset and Novakovich, low-cost gambles who didn’t prove it at this level.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Oct 2020 13:16

I liked Manset and he was a decent enough player and all his goals for us were either point savers or match winners but all the signs were already there at Hereford that his fitness levels weren't up to shit.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 06 Oct 2020 14:27

I think it’s unfortunate for McNulty but also not convinced he’s good enough.

However...we’ve barely played him, and rarely played him when he was just signed, which was odd. The mistake the club made was signing both him & Baldock in the same window...why sign 2 small strikers?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2020 13:44

Notts Royal I think it’s unfortunate for McNulty but also not convinced he’s good enough.

However...we’ve barely played him, and rarely played him when he was just signed, which was odd. The mistake the club made was signing both him & Baldock in the same window...why sign 2 small strikers?

And then spend most of the subsequent time playing 1 up front which suits the game of neither player.