BFT Watford

158 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

BFT Watford

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2020 16:55

Just WOW

Can I be the first to say Aluko MotM but so many players had an A+ game

Holmes, Puscas and Meite stood out as well.

Who care about injuries, don’t need any signings. :lol:

Next. Colin.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFT Watford

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 16:59

Let's see if anyone's negative about that.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Oct 2020 16:59

To keep up our winning start we need to break a 7 game losing streak against Middlesbrough.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 03 Oct 2020 17:05

Rafael 7 - solid, commanded the area well, not really forced into many saves

Holmes 7 - a useful presence and very tidy, but clearly out of position and was struggling for the last ten minutes or so. Think Watson should get the nod next time out.

Morrison 7 - his usual self, very solid, got to all the loose balls.

Moore 6 - is no longer Mr Reliable. Got turned too easily on one occasion. Need more performances like Cardiff to remind us why he’s in the team, particularly with McIntyre and Holmes knocking on the door.

Richards 6 - mixed bag, struggled a bit with Sarr and played one very poor pass in the second half, but did also have some tidy moments and exploited space well.

Laurent 7 - solid, good on the ball.

Rinomhota 7.5 - now the senior partner in midfield and really looks the part

Aluko 8.5 - didn’t do much wrong, always in the right place, one very good ball into the box. One of his best games for us. Didn’t create much but strong opposition. MOTM

Meite 7 - worked hard, and some really good touches

Olise 6.5 - shot over from a good position and made some poor decisions, but did have some dangerous movement

Puscas 8 - great all round performance, worked his socks off, came deep to get the ball really well, battled and scrapped, and took his goal well

Subs:
McIntyre 6.5 - out of position and got caught flat footed a few times, but some good defensive moments and kept the ball moving

Tetek n/a

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 03 Oct 2020 17:06

Indeed WOW - deserved that and with a weakened team. (Far better than Barnsley game!).

To be honest a bit lucky to survive the first 20 minutes but after that we outfought and out-created them.

Puscas and Aluko like new men. Holmes decent. Olise hooked for showboating??

Roll on to Boro.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Oct 2020 17:06

genome Let's see if anyone's negative about that.

It wasn't a good performance.

But that's exactly what a winning team does.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:06

That was a brilliant full-bodied performance, full of grit & selfless teamwork. Every player put a decent shift in and we nullified a superior team today.

Puscas put in a real shift & was up for it. Whilst we didn’t player to his strengths much last season, today was a marked difference in him chasing down balls and closing players down.

Rino & Laurent once again top quality, as was Richards who is becoming an excellent full back at this level. Really glad we kept him over Blackett or Obita.

Aluko - what’s happened to the guy? More of the same please

And whilst Holmes is clearly not a full back, he put in a real shift and showed he’s good enough as a backup option

A very very satisfying win that...even more enjoyable when the opponent has played well too

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Oct 2020 17:07

All credit to Aluko. Hope he can build on that positive Motm performance. And if my maths is right we had 5 Academy players on by the end. Superb all round performance. Well done to all the players and the manager.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2020 17:08

Simmops

It was a cracking performance

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:09

What a performance. Start was a bit of a worry as first 10 minutes Watford really used the width well and targeted Holmes. Make no mistake Watford were a good side. Played good football with quality players. But we were well worth that win.

Cabral - 7 I hesitate to say it, but didn't really have much to do?
Holmes - 8 grew into the game well. Doesn't look a genuine RB to me, but he's filling in well and you can't argue with setting up the winning goal
Richards - 7 some more wobbly moments than recently, couple of daft fouls. But he's good
Moore - 8 managed the game really well
Morrison - 8 same
Rinomhota - 9 great as usual
Laurent - 9 really really mature performance from someone still stepping up to the Championship, what a fantastic signing
Aluko - 9 barely put a foot wrong, unbelievable performance given how shocking a signing he's been, earlier in the season he was doing ok without really adding a huge amount but no one could complain about that performance. Let it not be said that I don't acknowledge quality where it exists, even if I can't stand the player.
Meite - 8 decent performance, didn't help out Holmes quite enough early on, and was running consistently offside a fair amount when central, but I love him anyway.
Olise - 7 first half was mostly really good, but second half started to give the ball away a bit too much when we were under the kosh, taking too many risks
Puscas - 9 absolutely incredible improvement from him as a lone striker today.

McIntyre - 8 really good showing as a defensive No 10. Once he came on we really got back into the game
Tetek - 7 very enthusiastic and pulled his weight.

That's the first sign for me that Paunovic really is a quality manager. It's inarguable that he's got more from Aluko than any previous manager there, and Puscas has also come on leap and bounds. The squad is pretty much the same as last year, and we just beat a very good side without Joao, or a genuine RB and playing someone who has been binned by four previous managers.

And the work rate and belief in the team is looking special. Like McDermott / Coppell special.

Wow.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 03 Oct 2020 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Oct 2020 17:09

genome
Simmops

It was decent. Wasn't the best. But that's a good thing

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2020 17:10

Hardcore Pauno

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Oct 2020 17:12

Simmops

Wtf is this shit? It was an excellent performance from a team missing at least 4 'key' men against a team full of premier league talent

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 Oct 2020 17:12

genome
Simmops

Very good performance. We were hardly going to walk over a side of Watford’s quality. We did well to restrict them, no real clear cut chances and you can see why they hadn’t conceded a goal up until today.

Barnsley should take note because THAT is how you press, organised and with structure not just blind sprinting and over committing or leaving the defenders on the half way line.

Obviously a lot will happen with their transfers but if they do keep Deeney or Gray then I’d suspect anyone that finishes above Watford will be promoted.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Oct 2020 17:14

Ok, we mean business. DO YOU BELIEVE NOW???

Cardiff will be the test, people said.

Watford will be the test, people said.

Playing without Joao will be the test, people said.

We didn't just beat this ex-PL side, we absolutely thoroughly dominated them and deserved this win. Ok they hit the crossbar, but it should have been 4-1 to us.

And Aluko playing brilliantly!? WTAF?

EVERY player fighting for EVERY ball ALL the time. 1-0 wasn't enough, right till the end we were upset not to get 2.

WTF guys!>??

Rafael - 6. Solid but nothing to do.
Moore - 7. A rock in defence
Morrison - 7. A rock in defence.
RIchards - 7 Played v well.
Holmes -6. I was going to give a 5 because i'm sorry but they clearly did their homework and were launching attack efetr attack down that side and we didn't look strong at all. In the first 10 3 very scary attacks down that side. But his attacking work was very good. An intelligent and physically strong player, will only get better. 7 for that, so an overall 6 from me
Rino - 7. Solid
Laurent - 7 Solid enough
Olise - 6. Talented player we all love, but I counted at least 3 times he lost the ball.
Little guy in midfield - 9. Not sure who the hell this was. Clueless Dellor kept calling him Aluko, but it definitely wasn't Aluko.
Meite - 8. Just a brilliant performance. Real thorn in their side.
Puscas - 8. Just what we wanted. Great Joao-esque goal, and holding up well, defending well, just brilliant.

SUBS

McIntyre - 7 Did very well, we looked much tougher when he came on, and did well going forwards too. Has he put on some muscle recently too? Looking much less scrawny.
Tetek - can't say really.

Pauno - 10. Sorry but there is no way this guy is NOT getting credit for this. The players are fighting like I've never seen before. They are positive like I've never seen before. They're trying out moves I've never seen before clearly from the training ground, which are looking very dangerous. The starting lineup clearly worked AGAIN. The sub raised an eyebrow or 2 but ultimately we ended up totally bossing the game and toughening things up when McIntyre came on.

This is the beginning of something special.

And what... without JOAO, SWIFT, and my boyfriend EJARIA. Really??

What's going on?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 Oct 2020 17:15

I can't remember the last time we have picked up so many second or so many loose balls. The last few seasons we have always been second best. That's good management and good coaching.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Oct 2020 17:15

Chuffed to bits seeing a Reading side work like that. Tremendous commitment. We won the 50/50 battles throughout. Very very promising. We do need to use the resources in the squad. Maybe two or three more signings but no more than that please.

Rafael. 7 Once again didn’t really have much to do
Richards 7 He really looks the part now. Very solid
Moore 7 One awful back pass but otherwise solid
Morrison 8 Imperious. Gave them nothing
Holmes 7 Got forward well and had an assist
Rinomhota 8 Back to his best. Won his tackles and protected the back four
Laurent 8 See Rinomhota. Lovely stuff
Olise 6 Caught on the ball a few times but still showed his class at times
Meite 8 Quiet start but caused them all sorts of problems
Aluko 9 MoTM Exceptional. Worked his heart out and showed some lovely touches
Puscas 9 Scored the crucial goal and a fantastic work ethic.

McIntyre 7 Out of position but did well. Totally committed
Tetek 6 Did ok.
Last edited by Zip on 03 Oct 2020 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Oct 2020 17:15

Have we finally found a settled style of play?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 03 Oct 2020 17:16

winchester_royal
Simmops

Wtf is this shit? It was an excellent performance from a team missing at least 4 'key' men against a team full of premier league talent

I'm saying it because there is always room to do better. Yes it was good but to win the league we need more then good. We need Leeds like performances every week

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 03 Oct 2020 17:16

Just here for Aluko! Just hope this isn’t like Derby away under Gomes, when he had stormer, scored and then was anonymous in the next few games he played.

158 posts