Sone Aluko

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sone Aluko

by andrew1957 » 06 Oct 2020 11:14

Aluko might have been a poor signing so far and in truth he is now playing for his career as it is unlikely that his contract with us will be renewed in the summer. But this might play in our favour because if he has a great season and helps us to the PL, his huge initial fee will be justified after all. Although even that which has been published at £7.5M was more likely from what I have read to have been £4.5M initially plus add ons - which have most likely not been paid to date as we have been rubbish the last 3 seasons.

We need to put the last 3 season behind us and all hope that Aluko has a great season and helps keep us towards the top of the table. He definitely had a very good game Saturday.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Oct 2020 11:18

Snowball
leon He moved the ball on quickly after gaining possession - there was a sharpness about him. He didn’t run down blind alleys.

Maybe the manager watched him in training matches and said:

"Move the ball on quickly after gaining possession,

be quick and sharp, use your energy

don't run down blind alleys"

Maybe. If it did it worked.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 06 Oct 2020 11:29

Aluko brings huge amounts of championship experience that we otherwise lack in a young, relatively inexperienced team. This isn’t just one really good game, he did ok against derby and he helped us bring the game to Barnsley. Clearly he’s a good player. Did nothing against Luton but most would struggle to play with three strikers like that.

The best thing is that he seems happy to be a backup. Few in this league can match our winger depth of Ejaria, Meite, Olise and Aluko. Hopefully we can keep hold of all of them.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2020 13:14

TiagoIlori Aluko brings huge amounts of championship experience that we otherwise lack in a young, relatively inexperienced team. This isn’t just one really good game, he did ok against derby and he helped us bring the game to Barnsley. Clearly he’s a good player. Did nothing against Luton but most would struggle to play with three strikers like that.

The best thing is that he seems happy to be a backup. Few in this league can match our winger depth of Ejaria, Meite, Olise and Aluko. Hopefully we can keep hold of all of them.

Question now though is, does Aluko get to retain his place in the team or go back to bench warming? What would Sir Steve have done?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2020 13:53

Being as Ejaria hasn't been on the best of form, I'd keep Aluko in for the next one with Ovie on the bench

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Oct 2020 14:07

Depends how training goes imo.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Oct 2020 14:10

Sutekh
TiagoIlori Aluko brings huge amounts of championship experience that we otherwise lack in a young, relatively inexperienced team. This isn’t just one really good game, he did ok against derby and he helped us bring the game to Barnsley. Clearly he’s a good player. Did nothing against Luton but most would struggle to play with three strikers like that.

Question now though is, does Aluko get to retain his place in the team or go back to bench warming? What would Sir Steve have done?

18 games before the New Year. Demanding schedule. Everyone will get a look in.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Oct 2020 14:17

leon
Snowball
leon He moved the ball on quickly after gaining possession - there was a sharpness about him. He didn’t run down blind alleys.

Maybe the manager watched him in training matches and said:

"Move the ball on quickly after gaining possession,

be quick and sharp, use your energy

don't run down blind alleys"

Maybe. If it did it worked.

Seems quite simple
Wonder why no one tried that before :)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Oct 2020 14:23

Presumably as Ovie and Swift were injured on Saturday the new manager picked him and wasn't let down whereas previous managers seemingly didn't trust him.

I think he falls into the Michael Meaker/ Andy Hughes category in that we expect them to be bad so when they do better it feels as though they have done exceptionally well.

I thought Aluko did ok on Saturday but didn't feel as though he was as brilliant as some on here have suggested.
He was part of a good overall team performance and if that can be said about him every time he plays that IMHO is good enough and what we fully expected and hoped for when he was signed.

Too often in the past he has let himself and the team down but I wish him well as it means that if he is playing well it probably also means that the team is doing well.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 06 Oct 2020 14:34

Sutekh

Start Ejaria but bring Aluko on if someone has a poor game unless Aluko is particularly impressive in training. As Aluko said in his interview, you’ve got to put the team first.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2020 15:00

South Coast Royal Presumably as Ovie and Swift were injured on Saturday the new manager picked him and wasn't let down whereas previous managers seemingly didn't trust him.

I think he falls into the Michael Meaker/ Andy Hughes category in that we expect them to be bad so when they do better it feels as though they have done exceptionally well.

I thought Aluko did ok on Saturday but didn't feel as though he was as brilliant as some on here have suggested.
He was part of a good overall team performance and if that can be said about him every time he plays that IMHO is good enough and what we fully expected and hoped for when he was signed.

Too often in the past he has let himself and the team down but I wish him well as it means that if he is playing well it probably also means that the team is doing well.

He was the man of the match, everyone has said so. Wrong again....

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 06 Oct 2020 15:06

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal Presumably as Ovie and Swift were injured on Saturday the new manager picked him and wasn't let down whereas previous managers seemingly didn't trust him.

He was the man of the match, everyone has said so. Wrong again....

Who is "everyone"?

I thought you considered yourself a deep individual thinker and not one who just goes with the crowd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2020 17:20

Ejaria hasn't been great, but assuming he's fit I think he comes straight back in.

My concern is whether Velcro would would drop Olise instead of Aluko based on his less good performance v Watford.

I hope not, the lad's dynamite and the future, plus a two week break means there isn't even the argument to rest him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2020 17:24

Got to disagree Vic. I thought his passing was terrific. Smart, accurate and sharp. He also showed some lovely close skill and worked his nuts off. He is at a higher level than the likes of Meaker and Hughes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2020 17:25

Lower West
Sutekh

18 games before the New Year. Demanding schedule. Everyone will get a look in.

Yes it’s pretty much two games a week now until Christmas.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2020 18:03

Zip

Got to disagree Vic. I thought his passing was terrific. Smart, accurate and sharp. He also showed some lovely close skill and worked his nuts off. He is at a higher level than the likes of Meaker and Hughes.

Obligatory I liked Meaker and Hughes post.

Will never forget Meaker crossing for Williams to turn in an own goal and then him sheepishly acknowledging the South Bank's "Williams, Williams, what's the score?" Created a brilliant Reading moment.

Hughes wasn't the best, but he ran all day, did very well in behind Fozzie, and always gave his best for the team at LB when played out of position. Even started just about getting the hang of crossing with his left foot by the end of the season.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2020 18:53

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Will never forget Meaker crossing for Williams to turn in an own goal and then him sheepishly acknowledging the South Bank's "Williams, Williams, what's the score?" Created a brilliant Reading moment.

Hughes wasn't the best, but he ran all day, did very well in behind Fozzie, and always gave his best for the team at LB when played out of position. Even started just about getting the hang of crossing with his left foot by the end of the season.

That Williams own goal was in our 4-2 win v Wolves in the League Cup when Parky scored a screamer.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 06 Oct 2020 19:02

tidus_mi2 I'll be fair, when he returned to Twitter and started posting he came across as quite intelligent, not at all like I had imagined, probably from the negativity around his time at the club.

I admit that I was very pleasantly surprised when I looked at his Twatter on Saturday evening - smart, insightful, eloquent on a whole range of topics and not your usual: "Great win for the lads" "We go again" type posts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2020 19:30

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

That Williams own goal was in our 4-2 win v Wolves in the League Cup when Parky scored a screamer.

Bugger me, memory is weird. I can literally see it in my head. I almost never remember anything from games for long either.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Oct 2020 22:31

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Hughes behind Fozzie in 02/03 was awesome, but it seemed to be the only role he ever flourished in. Always gave absolutely everything though, and the £500k we got for him was daylight robbery!