Sone Aluko

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Sone Aluko

by Royalwaster » 05 Oct 2020 16:16

How can you hate this guy?

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/o ... right-now/

Comes across as level headed and decent. Let's turn off the hate please.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sone Aluko

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Oct 2020 16:18

I'll be fair, when he returned to Twitter and started posting he came across as quite intelligent, not at all like I had imagined, probably from the negativity around his time at the club.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 05 Oct 2020 16:46

Hate his sister

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 05 Oct 2020 16:50

You're surprised he's intelligent?!

Hs uncle is a Professor of Chemical Engineering at Howard University and his father is a politician in Nigeria and an incredibly successful business leader. His sister Eniola has law degree after getting a first at Brunel.

Disappointing as a footballer, but unlikely to be thick!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Oct 2020 17:34

PistolPete You're surprised he's intelligent?!

Hs uncle is a Professor of Chemical Engineering at Howard University and his father is a politician in Nigeria and an incredibly successful business leader. His sister Eniola has law degree after getting a first at Brunel.

I had no idea about his family history I think it was just one of those irrational things where he was shit for us so I've automatically got to think negative things about him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 17:35

Yeah, intelligence was nowhere on my list of reasons to hate him.

Abject performance, £7.5m transfer fee, 4 year contract and substantial wages all more than covered it.

It'll take more than one good performance in four years for me to want anything other than him to oxf*rd right off asap.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Oct 2020 17:38

Snowflake Royal Yeah, intelligence was nowhere on my list of reasons to hate him.

Abject performance, £7.5m transfer fee, 4 year contract and substantial wages all more than covered it.

It'll take more than one good performance in four years for me to want anything other than him to oxf*rd right off asap.

Seriously, get over yourself.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 17:44

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal Yeah, intelligence was nowhere on my list of reasons to hate him.

Seriously, get over yourself.

Oh I'm sorry, I should just forget everything else and love him after he's had one good game because you demand it?

Sounds like it's you that needs to get over yourself.

You're welcome to your opinion, and I'll keep mine thanks.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 05 Oct 2020 17:44, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2020 17:44

Royalwaster How can you hate this guy?

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/o ... right-now/

Comes across as level headed and decent. Let's turn off the hate please.

+1

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 05 Oct 2020 17:47

So you hate Aluko because of the incompetence of Gourley? The only thing you listed that he is responsible for is performances and you would assume he would try to play his best. Just hasn't worked out for him so far and we clearly massively overpaid - again not his fault for the latter.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2020 17:59

Jeez

Save your chagrin for the opposition Ian, he’s a Reading player

...and not dipping into your wallet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2020 18:01

AthleticoSpizz Jeez

Where do you think my season ticket money has gone the last three years?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2020 18:03

Cheaper than most :D

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Oct 2020 18:25

Right, I don't want this to be seen as an Aluko love in because he has absolutely not justified the money we spent but:

His signing was questioned from day 1 but he came into a bloated midfield under a manager who chopped and changed his starting line up every week, largely playing unadventurous keep ball. He didn't hit the ground running and immediately became a scapegoat in a woefully underperforming team because of his fee.

Hes played under 5 managers in 3 years and spent a year consigned to a Chinese gulag and is only now playing under a manager who's tactics play to his strengths.

I don't really remember him ever really whinging and he's always come across as a thoughtful, well spoken and intelligent person. Yes, he's been crap for 3 years but I'm a strong believer in a new manager, clean slate. Not trying to excuse his performances, just trying to find some context other than the old kneejerk "He's shit". If we reap the benefit of a fully motivated Aluko for the next 9 months then, whilst it doesn't erase the last 3 years, I will chant his name as loudly as anyone.

I remember Bobby Convey came as a record signing and was, quite frankly, shit for all but 1 of his seasons here. How do we remember him?
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 05 Oct 2020 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Oct 2020 18:28

....and hopefully the ‘new signing’ that we already have.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Oct 2020 18:29

AthleticoSpizz Jeez

Agree Spizzy. He is a Reading player. He was brilliant on Saturday. It will give him a lift and he gives us another option. Move forward and back him.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 05 Oct 2020 18:45

PistolPete You're surprised he's intelligent?!

I have a degree from Oxford and harvard so his family are thick compared to me

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Oct 2020 18:59

He's paid to do a job well. In any other profession he would have been redundant. That's business. On a personal level I do hope that he proves himself worthy of the fee he commanded this season. No manager so far has got the best out of him though.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Oct 2020 19:48

We paid nowhere near that - that number was on the max fig and on basis of appearances and promotion to the premier league; at the time he signed we had just lost the play off final.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Oct 2020 20:07

He’s been rubbish for 3 years and he’d have to take some responsibility for that. In terms of his footballing output, that stupid 4 year bloated contract was an absolute disaster

But he’s here, he’s knuckled down and anything we can get out of him this year will be a more than welcome surprise.