Sone Aluko

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sone Aluko

by Notts Royal » 06 Oct 2020 23:26

Zip
South Coast Royal Presumably as Ovie and Swift were injured on Saturday the new manager picked him and wasn't let down whereas previous managers seemingly didn't trust him.

I think he falls into the Michael Meaker/ Andy Hughes category in that we expect them to be bad so when they do better it feels as though they have done exceptionally well.

I thought Aluko did ok on Saturday but didn't feel as though he was as brilliant as some on here have suggested.
He was part of a good overall team performance and if that can be said about him every time he plays that IMHO is good enough and what we fully expected and hoped for when he was signed.

Too often in the past he has let himself and the team down but I wish him well as it means that if he is playing well it probably also means that the team is doing well.

Got to disagree Vic. I thought his passing was terrific. Smart, accurate and sharp. He also showed some lovely close skill and worked his nuts off. He is at a higher level than the likes of Meaker and Hughes.

He played brilliantly on Saturday but you could argue maybe he wasn’t that effective as a number 10 as he kept coming very deep. Not necessarily a bad thing though

However...Hughes was considerably more effective in his time as a Reading player. Not as skilful, but very effective at times. I could be wrong but believe he had 1 season where he scored double figures?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Oct 2020 07:37

You’re only just wrong - most he scored for us in one season was 9.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Oct 2020 14:09

SCIAG You’re only just wrong - most he scored for us in one season was 9.

And if anyone was wondering, Andy Hughes is now a first team coach at Sheff Wed after managing Sheff U’s u23s last season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 07 Oct 2020 14:50

My fondest memory of Hughes was scoring a belter from 40yds at Molyneux although I also remember a game at Grimsby where he and Forster ran their defence ragged and Alan Pouton scored an own goal from half way line.

We played some good stuff under Pardew.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Oct 2020 15:11

Royalwaster How can you hate this guy?
Are you looking for a reason?

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 09 Oct 2020 08:19

From Despair To Where? My fondest memory of Hughes was scoring a belter from 40yds at Molyneux although I also remember a game at Grimsby where he and Forster ran their defence ragged and Alan Pouton scored an own goal from half way line.

I was at that Grimsby game, ball looped up so high you couldn't see it because of the stand roof, drops back down and into the net. Lovely stuff.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Oct 2020 09:17

10539.4 Miles Away
From Despair To Where? My fondest memory of Hughes was scoring a belter from 40yds at Molyneux although I also remember a game at Grimsby where he and Forster ran their defence ragged and Alan Pouton scored an own goal from half way line.

I was at that Grimsby game, ball looped up so high you couldn't see it because of the stand roof, drops back down and into the net. Lovely stuff.

Exactly my memory of it. Ball disappears from view and a furiously backpeddling goalkeeper with the ball reappearing a split second before the net rippled.

2m40 on this clip. OK, maybe it want quite the half way line but nearer it than the box.

https://youtu.be/-N-E-NHzSXE

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 09 Oct 2020 12:00

From Despair To Where?
10539.4 Miles Away

Exactly my memory of it. Ball disappears from view and a furiously backpeddling goalkeeper with the ball reappearing a split second before the net rippled.

2m40 on this clip. OK, maybe it want quite the half way line but nearer it than the box.

Hahaha! First time I've seen that I'm sure. LIMBS as the kids would say today and from the stand it definitely looked like the half way line

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2020 14:18

From Despair To Where?
10539.4 Miles Away

But is that the record distance from which anyone in the FL has been credited with an og?

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Oct 2020 19:47

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal I've got nothing against Velcro.

My issue was sacking Bowen and the management.

Otherwise it was just that Velcro had warning signs as a new manager of no Champ experience, talking about playing it out from the back and about one good club season. But that's about whether he looks like a good candidate, not how he performs.

More mocking of the manager [b]because he has a foreign name...... Says a lot about you as a human.

[/b]

Bullshit, that olde chestnut died conks ago. Too many foreign players/coaches is killing the home game, it is about investing in our own first, British jobs for British People, and not about changing the game to suit the cheap the foreign imports!.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Oct 2020 20:33

karbota
Old Man Andrews

Otherwise it was just that Velcro had warning signs as a new manager of no Champ experience, talking about playing it out from the back and about one good club season. But that's about whether he looks like a good candidate, not how he performs.

More mocking of the manager [b]because he has a foreign name...... Says a lot about you as a human.

[/b]

Bullshit, that olde chestnut died conks ago. Too many foreign players/coaches is killing the home game, it is about investing in our own first, British jobs for British People, and not about changing the game to suit the cheap the foreign imports!.

Ha Ha

On my iPhone and couldn’t see the Nobber name. Thought, that’ll be Karbota

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Oct 2020 21:52

Sutekh
From Despair To Where?
10539.4 Miles Away

But is that the record distance from which anyone in the FL has been credited with an og?

I think it was Ian Richardson of Notts County who scored from a long way out at the Madejski. His was a header as well ! From what I remember it was a kick from our keeper which he tried to head backwards to the County keeper but got way too good contact and muchlikevthe other one it just flew up and over the advancing keeper.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 Oct 2020 21:56

karbota
Old Man Andrews

[/b]

Hello Carbooter. You not a fan of foreign talent?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Oct 2020 23:42

Mine was away at Derby (I think it was). Ref awarded a drop ball in the centre circle. Ball was going back to Derby. Hughes took a mighty swipe at the ball , looped the ball over the keeper and hit the bar. Always wondered if we'd have let Derby walk through for a goal if it had gone in.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 10 Oct 2020 12:20

Sutekh
From Despair To Where?
10539.4 Miles Away

I remember Micky Travers kicking a ball back to Arthur Wilkie(?) from the half way line. It bounced in front of our goalie and sailed over his head into the net. it was bad enough being the only goal of the match, but at Elm Park against Oxf*rd.......?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 10 Oct 2020 13:21

Nameless
Sutekh
From Despair To Where?

I think it was Ian Richardson of Notts County who scored from a long way out at the Madejski. His was a header as well ! From what I remember it was a kick from our keeper which he tried to head backwards to the County keeper but got way too good contact and muchlikevthe other one it just flew up and over the advancing keeper.

I remember that one. He was about 25yds out IIRC. I also remember Martin Hicks scoring a bullet diving header OG from the edge of the box in our last competative match with Aldershot. A bit like Van Persie v Spain in the WC.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Oct 2020 10:28

Nameless
Sutekh
From Despair To Where?

Memory serves me Richardson scored two own goals against us. Think there was some song about him scoring more for us than Paul Brayson.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Oct 2020 11:18

The Royal Forester I remember Micky Travers kicking a ball back to Arthur Wilkie(?) from the half way line. It bounced in front of our goalie and sailed over his head into the net. it was bad enough being the only goal of the match, but at Elm Park against Oxf*rd.......?

Hey Royal Forester - Mick is a relative - I don't spose you have any other memories of his playing days that I could pass on to him?

I've heard more about his time at Portsmouth when they were top of Div2 (as it was then) - and him having the hardest shot in the League at the time (something run by Shoot! magazine, which he also featured in!) and about hitting the (opposition!) bar from the halfway line in an FA Cup game when rumour has it Man Utd had some scouts come to watch him. I think he thinks its his Sliding Doors moment!

PM welcome. All the best.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 12 Oct 2020 11:53

I seem to remember Hughes running down the East Stand touchline with the ball and continuing his run into the advertising hoardings before attempting to cross the ball.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2020 13:17

Jagermesiter1871 I seem to remember Hughes running down the East Stand touchline with the ball and continuing his run into the advertising hoardings before attempting to cross the ball.

I didn't know Gilkes was first team coach back then.