Lucas João Is 27!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Lucas João Is 27!

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2020 10:19

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Snowball Reading "Humble Pi" by Matt Parker, all about math errors

Fair bit on birthdays and who is how old. Good stuff.

It's often about is zero a number?

I like this one. A man starts work at 8AM, has floors 8-12 to clean, so thinks one hour, one floor, right?

I don’t get it.

Inclusive or exclusive? And what does he do for the other hours?

How big are the floors?

Does he not clean the stairwells? Also how old is he? 27?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 19 Oct 2020 10:27

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 11:08

SCIAG

I like this one. A man starts work at 8AM, has floors 8-12 to clean, so thinks one hour, one floor, right?

I don’t get it.

My mistake

A man starts work at 8AM, working until 12. He has floors 8-12 to clean, so thinks one hour, one floor, right?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2020 11:23

Snowball
SCIAG

I don’t get it.

My mistake

A man starts work at 8AM, working until 12. He has floors 8-12 to clean, so thinks one hour, one floor, right?

Is there a "maths quizzes for 4 year olds" section on HNA?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2020 12:08

It's the way you tell 'em snowball.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 12:37

Interesting that nobody has posted an answer.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Oct 2020 12:40

Snowball Interesting that nobody has posted an answer.

Is he working for four hours but has five floors to clean?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 13:41

SouthDownsRoyal

Yup. The author makes the point that we humans often make the error
of saying 8-12 for two different things automatically tallies.

He points out that when stores give you fourteen days to return
a product it includes Day Zero, the day you leave the shop, so you
DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

Lovely (scary) story about a squadron of the latest US mega-expensive
fighter-planes suddenly becoming electronics-free because they crossed
the International Date Line and the computers went "WTF?"

They had to follow the refuelling craft home!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Oct 2020 15:25

Just checking in, is he still 27?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Oct 2020 16:35

Forbury Lion Just checking in, is he still 27?

Yup

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Oct 2020 16:50

Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal

DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

So as I feared, no clever riddle but simply 'fascinating' 4 year old maths. Other than pointing out that sometimes people are thick, does the book also have pictures of paint drying? :shock: :wink:

Reminds me of a time the builders were putting 6 spotlights up in a line in our hallway ceiling. I wanted the two outer ones 6m apart. I started to advise them how far apart each spotlight needed to be but they literally laughed me out of the house ripping the piss with "You do what you do, we do what we do. Stick to your job, we'll stick to ours, we're builders ok? We know how to put up lights, you're a nerd" bla bla bla

Cue me coming home to see a butchered ceiling and some very confused builders, with load of holes cut out the ceiling plasterboard in wrong places with Dumb and Dumber scratching their heads utterly confused why a 1m gap between the lights wasn't workign out. 6 lights, 6m, what's the issue? They accused me of buying the wrong lights, too many etc etc.. (think Gareth and the dodgy calculator in The Office). Then I explained if there are 6 lights there are only 5 gaps so spacing them 6m/6 is literally retarded and it needed to be 6m/5 which I tried to explain pre-emptively but they were having none of it.

They enjoyed a few boxes of humble pie each.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Oct 2020 17:26

Millsy
Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal

DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

So as I feared, no clever riddle but simply 'fascinating' 4 year old maths. Other than pointing out that sometimes people are thick, does the book also have pictures of paint drying? :shock: :wink:

Reminds me of a time the builders were putting 6 spotlights up in a line in our hallway ceiling. I wanted the two outer ones 6m apart. I started to advise them how far apart each spotlight needed to be but they literally laughed me out of the house ripping the piss with "You do what you do, we do what we do. Stick to your job, we'll stick to ours, we're builders ok? We know how to put up lights, you're a nerd" bla bla bla

Cue me coming home to see a butchered ceiling and some very confused builders, with load of holes cut out the ceiling plasterboard in wrong places with Dumb and Dumber scratching their heads utterly confused why a 1m gap between the lights wasn't workign out. 6 lights, 6m, what's the issue? They accused me of buying the wrong lights, too many etc etc.. (think Gareth and the dodgy calculator in The Office). Then I explained if there are 6 lights there are only 5 gaps so spacing them 6m/6 is literally retarded and it needed to be 6m/5 which I tried to explain pre-emptively but they were having none of it.

Sounds entirely your fault for not specifically telling them you wanted the job done correctly the first time. No sympathy.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 17:30

Millsy

Except that a LOT of people get that one wrong. Starting at zero or one was the point (age etc) and the book is full of really cool stuff.

I quite like the one about the Russian shooting team turning up for the Olympics two weeks late (they didn't do well as the comp was finished) because they used a different calendar.

Loads of very cool maths in the book. How and why the millennium bridge had a sideways wobble, and loads of massive tragedies with multiple deaths over sometimes "trivial" maths bloopers

Millsy

See? Told yer!

There's the one about building a temple and you have the right amount of pillars. Then the king says double the width (or length) but you DON'T double the number of pillars... Hmmm.

It's a seriously good book.

There's a reason doors in public buildings open outwards.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 17:33

I started out as an airframe mechanic 200 years ago.

Not pillars and gaps exactly, but a thing called creep.

You have, say, twenty holes that require rivets. The instinct is to start at one end,
but if you do, very soon the holes don't align.

You have to start near one end, then the other, then middle etc, breaking
up the "line" because each hammered rivet causes a small swelling.

First time the Sergeant let's you just fcuk up...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2020 17:49

Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal

DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

Matt Parker's quite funny and interesting. His stand up on how all screens and digital photos are basically just conditionally formatted spreadsheets is mildly amusing.

You've made him sound tedious as oxf*rd though.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 19 Oct 2020 18:32

Snowball
Millsy

Except that a LOT of people get that one wrong. Starting at zero or one was the point (age etc) and the book is full of really cool stuff.

I quite like the one about the Russian shooting team turning up for the Olympics two weeks late (they didn't do well as the comp was finished) because they used a different calendar.

Loads of very cool maths in the book. How and why the millennium bridge had a sideways wobble, and loads of massive tragedies with multiple deaths over sometimes "trivial" maths bloopers

Millsy

See? Told yer!

There's the one about building a temple and you have the right amount of pillars. Then the king says double the width (or length) but you DON'T double the number of pillars... Hmmm.

That's obvious isn't it? If a fire broke out in the building it is easier and quicker for everyone exiting the building to just push the door, instead of each person holding the door open for the next one. As far as i know all doors in a building should open towards the nearest fire exit.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 19:12

The Royal Forester
Snowball
Millsy

Millsy

See? Told yer!

That's obvious isn't it? If a fire broke out in the building it is easier and quicker for everyone exiting the building to just push the door, instead of each person holding the door open for the next one. As far as i know all doors in a building should open towards the nearest fire exit.

So "obvious" that for years they did it the other way round. Sorry, CENTURIES.

In theatres it was the other way round to stop people rushing the doorman

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Oct 2020 19:13

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
SouthDownsRoyal

DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

Matt Parker's quite funny and interesting. His stand up on how all screens and digital photos are basically just conditionally formatted spreadsheets is mildly amusing.

Well, for example, explaining a joke never sounds funny does it?

Or when someone tells you the plot of a film it's a yawn

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Oct 2020 20:46

Snowball
Snowflake Royal
Snowball

DON'T get 14 days.

Fascinating book, BTW

Well, for example, explaining a joke never sounds funny does it?

Or when someone tells you the plot of a film it's a yawn

True dat

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2020 23:35

So this Matt Parker guy? Is he 27?