BFIT - Wycombe (H)

253 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFIT - Wycombe (H)

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2020 09:50

Snowball Whisper it but we have won three home games on the trot.

How many games before we can say the hoodoo is gone?

First time since 2008 we’ve won our first three home games of the season. Managed to hit five in a row that year before being stopped by QPR (0-0 draw)

Which was the season we ended up not winning a single game at home last Jan/Feb up until about November!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:50

Hound

noticed that. The performances have still be a bit laboured and we do need to work out how to take the game to the oppo while still being strong at the back. We just always look a better side away from home to me - seems to suit our players better with the opposition taking the game to us a bit more.

FWIW I think we look a really tough nut to crack away.

If i may be so bold as to suggest that our team is heavily weighted in favour of solidity and positional discipline. Our Defenders and Midfield duo will rarely move out of position until late in the second half, leaving the fluid attacking to the front 4, who interchange frequently. There is nothing wrong with this but the decision making in the final 3rd has let us down. Once they finally click we should have our solution.

Also, not to be harsh, but a lot of our key attacking play has come down the left hand side with Richards. When he is off his game, like last night in the first half when he let 3 easy passes from Rafael roll out of play and gave away possession a lot, we struggle a bit. Esteves and Yiadom will change that and give us the ability to attack effectively down both flanks.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:51

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Someone said bring in Esteves at RW instead of Meite, keep Holmes

Ejaria-Olise-Esteves being Joao would be awesome!

I would rather see Olise out wide right personally. He does great work out there.

As far as I'm concerned they could do what they liked.

Forget which three it was that looked great last season for a while. Blackett-Ejaria and? They played some lovely stuff.

Swift.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:52

Sanguine
NewCorkSeth

when did we last win a midweek home game?

Technically, Boxing Day last year when we beat QPR. But a 'proper' midweek home game - Blackburn in February 2019. Which in turn was out first midweek home win since we beat Barnsley in November 2017.

thanks! I just seem to remember we struggle with midweek games of late. Maybe I was wrong.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Oct 2020 09:52

NewCorkSeth
Snowball
NewCorkSeth I would rather see Olise out wide right personally. He does great work out there.

Forget which three it was that looked great last season for a while. Blackett-Ejaria and? They played some lovely stuff.

Swift.

Who?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:53

Hound
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

I would rather see Olise out wide right personally. He does great work out there.

I like Holmes but he really isnt a RB. He offers very little going forward and will get beaten by a decent winger on the floor. A very good CB prospect though.

yep. I just said as much in a post!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Oct 2020 09:53

I think the lack of crowd is really helping us. No moans and groans for poor touches and misplaced passes, so the players heads aren't dropping. Less pressure when they're knocking it around with no one screaming to get it forwards. They can afford to be more patient, and it's paid off against Barnsley and Wycombe in games where we might have struggled to find a goal in front of a frustrated crowd. A couple of times at 0-0 we went all the way back to the keeper after having the ball quite high up the pitch, don't think that would have gone down very well in front of a crowd. I know we're obviously not the most hostile bunch, but I wonder if the negativity is sometimes more apparent because we don't the atmosphere to drown it out. Think Liam Moore especially is benefitting from no one getting on his back.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Oct 2020 09:54

Pepe the Horseman I think the lack of crowd is really helping us. No moans and groans for poor touches and misplaced passes, so the players heads aren't dropping.

That, plus the fresh start under Paunovic, I think.

Was going to post about the lack of crowd being a positive at the Maedjski yesterday, before realising how pants we were at home after the break for COVID.

There was a theory put forward watching Bundesliga after the return to football that players who were 'great in training' were benefiting from the lack of crowds, being a bit more expressive, and a bit less affected.
Last edited by Sanguine on 21 Oct 2020 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:55

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Snowball

Swift.

Who?

Hes the Championships best playmaker but is unlikely to find his way back into the team easily. Although the thought of him, Olise, Ejaria, Semedo and Aluko all fighting for a spot makes me wet.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:56

Pepe the Horseman I think the lack of crowd is really helping us. No moans and groans for poor touches and misplaced passes, so the players heads aren't dropping. Less pressure when they're knocking it around with no one screaming to get it forwards. They can afford to be more patient, and it's paid off against Barnsley and Wycombe in games where we might have struggled to find a goal in front of a frustrated crowd. A couple of times at 0-0 we went all the way back to the keeper after having the ball quite high up the pitch, don't think that would have gone down very well in front of a crowd. I know we're obviously not the most hostile bunch, but I wonder if the negativity is sometimes more apparent because we don't the atmosphere to drown it out. Think Liam Moore especially is benefitting from no one getting on his back.

I never get why the crowd moan at keeping possession against a team pressing hard and fast. Its the smart thing to do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 09:57

Snowball
NewCorkSeth
Hound
YEah Meite/Esteves may have been interesting

Did love some of the interplay between Olise/Esteves though. Got me more excited than anything else in the match bar Joao's bit of magic

Yes they certainly seemed on the same wave length. They had a beautiful moment late on where they strung 3 or 4 passes to each other in a really tight space.

I am very excited by Esteves. His driving angled run was one of the first moments of direct attack we had all game. As debuts go I thought it went very well.

Lol, people have seen 20 minutes of Esteves at RB and now want to replace the last two season's top scorer with him at RW.

This place is bonkers. :lol: :lol:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Oct 2020 09:58

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip
Ejaria should have had an assist for a brilliant cross to Meite. He was in on goal following brilliant link up play with Joao but Yaks got in the way. He put in a very good cross which fell for Semedo who should have done better. So yeah three of our best moments came through him.

When he plays at a high tempo, he’s dangerous and tough to handle. The problem is he doesn’t do it enough, too much dawdling on the ball, twisting in and out

The most frustrating thing is if you rewind 10/11 months, people are saying the exact same thing about him. His decision making is what is stopping him from becoming a much better player, but then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us if that was the case

It will come. He has all the ability in the world and if he’s creating three excellent chances per game as he did last night then he really is doing his job. Very surprised at the negative comments about his performance last night. Can anyone name a player who created more than he did last night?

I think people just seem to get so frustrated on the occasions he takes too many touches (and to be fair it did happen a lot in the first 30 minutes especially ) that they forget what he actually contributes during the game.

Meite is rightly lauded for his defensive work at times but yesterday Ejaria was winning headers , making interceptions and at one stage a very important tackle late on in the penalty area to stop them getting in on goal.

I think it's easy to look at players of ability and wonder about all the things they could do if they only did "This Thing" or "That Thing" better and ignore the positives they bring.
Last edited by Vision on 21 Oct 2020 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 09:58

NewCorkSeth
Snowball
NewCorkSeth Swift.

Who?

Hes the Championships best playmaker but is unlikely to find his way back into the team easily. Although the thought of him, Olise, Ejaria, Semedo and Aluko all fighting for a spot makes me wet.

yes exciting times if we can get Swift and Yiadom back fit and firing. Obvs a way off yet and no doubt other injuries will happen along the way.

Look pretty well covered everywhere tbh

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Oct 2020 09:59

Sanguine We got the win. The rest doesn't really matter. We aren't going to play well every week, and this was 'one of those games'. But as per the second post on the thread, there was a definite improvement after the break (or arguably after 35 minutes or so).

Esteves looks a terrific acquisition. Excited to see more from him. Semedo looks decent too, very direct, quick, eager to get on the ball. Feel like the ball bounced off of him a lot, I didn't quite see the 7/10 that a lot are granting him.

Meite. Sorry, seems a lovely chap, but I've not understood Meite since he joined us. His finishing isn't improving. His work-rate has, but his end product is so often lacking. Just don't get it.

Spot on post.

I like Meite, love his passion and team skills but so many elements of his game he needs to improve. That was a terrible miss and god his touch is woeful. Needs to learn from Ejaria or Akinfenwa to be honest where even my youngest said it "that ball is like glue on his feet" - Meite is in trouble moment it touches him.

Didnt realise how many enemies Wycombe have from League 1 clubs because of their promotion. They got proper trolled last night. I would be very surprised if they reach double figures by Christmas. It will be all long ball and time wasting from the off, they will win over very few plaudits playing like that.

Reading FC - you are giving me and my son lots of enjoyment at this time. Keep it going, thank you.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:59

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
NewCorkSeth Yes they certainly seemed on the same wave length. They had a beautiful moment late on where they strung 3 or 4 passes to each other in a really tight space.

I am very excited by Esteves. His driving angled run was one of the first moments of direct attack we had all game. As debuts go I thought it went very well.

Lol, people have seen 20 minutes of Esteves at RB and now want to replace the last two season's top scorer with him at RW.

This place is bonkers. :lol: :lol:

Its probably said in jest. Just the thought of that dribbling combination! Although it has to be pointed out Richards is up there in the league for most dribbles and most fouled. That on both flanks would be tasty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 09:59

Vision
Zip
URZZZZ
When he plays at a high tempo, he’s dangerous and tough to handle. The problem is he doesn’t do it enough, too much dawdling on the ball, twisting in and out

The most frustrating thing is if you rewind 10/11 months, people are saying the exact same thing about him. His decision making is what is stopping him from becoming a much better player, but then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us if that was the case

It will come. He has all the ability in the world and if he’s creating three excellent chances per game as he did last night then he really is doing his job. Very surprised at the negative comments about his performance last night. Can anyone name a player who created more than he did last night?

I think people just seem to get so frustrated on the occasions he takes too many touches (and to be fair it did happen a lot in the first 30 minutes especially ) that they forget what he actually contributes during the game.

Meite is rightly lauded for his defensive work at times but yesterday Ejaria was winning headers , making interceptions and at one stage a very important tackle late on in the penalty area to stop them getting in on goal late on.

I think it's easy to look at players of ability and wonder about all the things they could do if they only did "This Thing" or "That Thing" better and ignore the positives they bring.

yeah very much. For every 'slow the play down' there was an excellent piece of ball retention when needed.

I think he has been very good last couple of games, and is basically just missing the goal. No complaints otherwise.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Oct 2020 10:00

Some strikers get goals some strikers MAKE goals

I like Meite but he hasn't been great last two games

We struggle to make many chances. Our conversion rate is excellent ATM (Meite has ONE goal from a scramble)

My opinion is we would make more chances with Esteves playing RW or RB

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Oct 2020 10:03

paultheroyal
Sanguine We got the win. The rest doesn't really matter. We aren't going to play well every week, and this was 'one of those games'. But as per the second post on the thread, there was a definite improvement after the break (or arguably after 35 minutes or so).

Esteves looks a terrific acquisition. Excited to see more from him. Semedo looks decent too, very direct, quick, eager to get on the ball. Feel like the ball bounced off of him a lot, I didn't quite see the 7/10 that a lot are granting him.

Meite. Sorry, seems a lovely chap, but I've not understood Meite since he joined us. His finishing isn't improving. His work-rate has, but his end product is so often lacking. Just don't get it.

Spot on post.

I like Meite, love his passion and team skills but so many elements of his game he needs to improve. That was a terrible miss and god his touch is woeful. Needs to learn from Ejaria or Akinfenwa to be honest where even my youngest said it "that ball is like glue on his feet" - Meite is in trouble moment it touches him.

Didnt realise how many enemies Wycombe have from League 1 clubs because of their promotion. They got proper trolled last night. I would be very surprised if they reach double figures by Christmas. It will be all long ball and time wasting from the off, they will win over very few plaudits playing like that.

Reading FC - you are giving me and my son lots of enjoyment at this time. Keep it going, thank you.

I can't really argue against Ian's response re Meite. He has a decent goals record, and does more than his fair share of work. I think for me though, a bit like the criticisms levelled at Ejaria this morning, Meite just doesn't seem to be improving. He has been at Reading for over four years now and whilst still only 24, isn't getting more clinical or more productive in the final third.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 10:03

Vision
Zip
URZZZZ

Meite is rightly lauded for his defensive work at times but yesterday Ejaria was winning headers , making interceptions and at one stage a very important tackle late on in the penalty area to stop them getting in on goal.

Frustration with Ejaria is absolutely that if he just played smarter and used the clear ability he has better he'd have a vastly increased impact.

It's just the knowing that if he did it right more often we'd have an extra goal or two a game and probably one fewer break against us. And he's definitely capable of it.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 10:04

Snowball Some strikers get goals some strikers MAKE goals

I like Meite but he hasn't been great last two games

We struggle to make many chances. Our conversion rate is excellent ATM (Meite has ONE goal from a scramble)

My opinion is we would make more chances with Esteves playing RW or RB

oh you were serious. Apologies Snowie. I think you need to look at Richards and realise how much he does from LB. Esteves should never be played as a winger as our wide play is coming from our full backs anyway.

Snowflake has, rather fairly, criticised out full backs advanced positioning the last 2 seasons however this season, with Rinomhota and Laurent, they can play high up. Yiadom and Esteves can really make a difference here.

253 posts