BFIT - Wycombe (H)

253 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFIT - Wycombe (H)

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 10:49

Just did some quick adding up (I’m on hols this week). In 48 PL games this season 172 goals have been scored at an average of 3.58 per game which is unusually high.
In the Championship only 130 goals have been scored from 67 games at just 1.94 per game which is very low.

So on average you can expect to see nearly twice as many goals at a PL game compared to the Championship so far this season. We have only seen 9 goals in 6 Reading games to date at an average of 1.5 goals per game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2020 10:50

Zip Just did some quick adding up (I’m on hols this week). In 48 PL games this season 172 goals have been scored at an average of 3.58 per game which is unusually high.
In the Championship only 130 goals have been scored from 67 games at just 1.94 per game which is very low.

So on average you can expect to see nearly twice as many goals at a PL game compared to the Championship so far this season. We have only seen 9 goals in 6 Reading games to date at an average of 1.5 goals per game.

Thanks Snowball.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 10:52

I’m wasted on here with you shower of pcunts.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 21 Oct 2020 10:54

Zip Just did some quick adding up (I’m on hols this week). In 48 PL games this season 172 goals have been scored at an average of 3.58 per game which is unusually high.

VAR ?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Oct 2020 10:55

So we haven't been that much below the average then, especially when you consider our excellent defensive record.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 10:56

Zip I’m wasted on here with you shower of pcunts.

I found it interesting. And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. Honestly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 10:58

Hendo

So we haven't been that much below the average then, especially when you consider our excellent defensive record.

No we haven’t. I think someone mentioned Watford score a lot of goals. They have scored 3 this season to date.
The Championship seems more defensive minded this time around.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Oct 2020 10:58

Millsy
skipper
Millsy
- who the flying flamingo was that massive f**koff chunk of a bodybuilder for Wycombe up front. Wtf??????

Akinfenwa - He's more of a prop or front row, isn't he?

He's more of a flipping neutron star. He makes Rooney look like Crouch. Should be illegal.

To be fair to him, he's had a long career at not unreasonable levels proving those who said he's too fat to play wrong.

He's 38 now and doubtless fitter than many who have a go about him.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 10:58

Hound

I found it interesting. And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. Honestly.

:lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Oct 2020 11:00

RoyalBlue
Millsy
skipper

He's more of a flipping neutron star. He makes Rooney look like Crouch. Should be illegal.

To be fair to him, he's had a long career at not unreasonable levels proving those who said he's too fat to play wrong.

Heard on commentary last night that it was like 730 games or something, which is a brilliant achievement for anyone, tbh.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 21 Oct 2020 11:06

Defending in the Championship seems far better. :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 21 Oct 2020 11:06

I'm surprised so many appear surprised that the game wasn't an easy win for us and that it somewhat lacked entertainment for the majority of the 90 minutes.

Wycombe, as everyone should have expected from Ainsworth's team, came out full of fight and determined to make it difficult for us to play. Their work rate and closing down was excellent but it was always doubtful whether they would be able to keep it up and not make any mistakes for 90 minutes.

It was essential that we stayed patient and, above all, didn't let them score first. We did that. In the end class and high levels of fitness/work rate ourselves made the difference and we got the three points we needed.

Wycombe may go straight back down but they will still cause problems for the majority of teams in the league this year. Few will get an easy win over them.

I thought VP's substitutions were excellent. He didn't wait too long before making them and clearly recognised that our biggest problem was a lack of creativity, flair and threat going forwards. Olise and Ejaria had been disappointing in that regard. Semedo and Esteves gave us more of what we were looking for.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 21 Oct 2020 11:11

Surprised and disappointed about the amount of stick Meite is getting. Yes, he had a relatively poor game last night and missed a pretty good chance but his work rate and commitment never drops, he's scored a load of goals in the past and will continue to score plenty for us going in the future.

IMO you don't drop someone like that on the basis of 60 mins or so below average performance and you don't swap him out for Esteves, even though the latter's first appearance for us was impressive.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 Oct 2020 11:13

RoyalBlue
Millsy
skipper

I always find it funny when fans say call any player fat. Sure he’s not the 10% BF that most footballers are in and around but he’s fcuking jacked and still probably significantly leaner than most the Middle Aged jelly bellies who like to be so opinionated on the matter.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2020 11:16

That's a bit harsh on Snowball mate, I meant it as a compliment! :wink:

Interesting stuff thanks, I wonder what the reason is. Better players in the PL? But then there'd be better defenders too surely.

Or perhaps scoring is generally easier than defending so at the higher echelons of the game when all players are top class you see the difference more?

My guess is it's the massive difference in quality of the top 4-5 teams vs the rest skewing the stats. Just a guess though - is this the case?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 11:20

Millsy

That's a bit harsh on Snowball mate, I meant it as a compliment! :wink:

Interesting stuff thanks, I wonder what the reason is. Better players in the PL? But then there'd be better defenders too surely.

Or perhaps scoring is generally easier than defending so at the higher echelons of the game when all players are top class you see the difference more?

My guess is it's the massive difference in quality of the top 4-5 teams vs the rest skewing the stats. Just a guess though - is this the case?

Teams like Everton and Villa are scoring freely so far this season. So it’s not just about the big 4 or 5 clubs.
It’s a mix of reasons imo. I think PL teams are more attack minded.
Whereas in the Championship the standard of finishing has been particularly poor so far this season.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 21 Oct 2020 11:22

I would be starting Aluko for Meite with Olise in the right and Ejaria in the middle if I were Pauno on Saturday. Meite is so much better when he comes on full of energy. For me Holmes has to be dropped the next game, we are going to have to get in the habit of controlling games and it’s simply not possible when you don’t have a right flank. Sooner rather than later teams will start sitting back against us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2020 11:28

Forgot to say - Esteves was absolutely brilliant when he first came on, and I was prepared to give him a 9 or 10 taking the ball and just running it past players and creating attacking situations.

He then tried it once more outside our box and lost the ball and put us under pressure and then seemed to go quiet for some time, probably nervous after that error, before coming good again.

I really feel he can be a huge player for us.

I can't remember what his actual defending was like tbh. Holmes was quite impressive for me, a couple of really important headers in the box which I'm not sure Esteves would pull off as he's not (I think) a 6'4" CB like Holmes is.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Oct 2020 11:31

Simon's Church Not sure I'd fancy Esteves defensively against many teams at the moment, Onyedima went past him about 4 times in the space of 20 minutes yesterday, and he rarely looked in line with the rest of the back 4.

Thought Semedo looked very good though, high tempo, a few decent passes and won a lot in the air.

Agree with both points you make. Holmes looks much better than Esteves defensively but Esteves looks like he could be a real threat going forwards - hence why I said earlier to play them both.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Oct 2020 11:38

RoyalBlue Surprised and disappointed about the amount of stick Meite is getting. Yes, he had a relatively poor game last night and missed a pretty good chance but his work rate and commitment never drops, he's scored a load of goals in the past and will continue to score plenty for us going in the future.

IMO you don't drop someone like that on the basis of 60 mins or so below average performance and you don't swap him out for Esteves, even though the latter's first appearance for us was impressive.

Love Meite but sometimes you have to take one for the team. It was also harsh dropping Aluko after his MOTM performance and harsh taking off Holmes last night when he was having a good game. Personally I think Meite could be huge for us this season coming off the bench against tiring defences or playing as central striker to give Jaoa/Puscas a break every now and then or in case of injuries. Sure Meite will play a big part whatever. But personally would give Esteves a shot instead of him on Saturday.

253 posts