BFIT - Wycombe (H)

253 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFIT - Wycombe (H)

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 08:41

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Fox Talbot Closer than it should have been, especially in the last 10. Not playing like champions elect yet but the results keep coming.

As already commented both subs improved the team significantly and both should start on Saturday. Some decent football played while they were on. First half atrocious again. It is possible to win matches in the first half someone should tell our lot.

Being a bit sharper especially from the off and we could be having a really good season. Though Watford is the only real test we’ve had so far.

The reason we're top is boro beat Bristol. We drew with them. Cardiff and Boro have also been a challenge.

Barnsley were excellent first half. Wycombe made it tough.

Big +1. I think every game has provided us with a test so far apart from Derby and Derby was the first game.

Without sounding like I am getting carried away i think Blackburn is going to be a good test for us. They are scoring quite a lot so should be difficult on the defenders and our strikers will have to continue to capitalise on their few chances.

Yep. So far we've played:
Derby - 2 goals in 5
Barnsley - 3 goals in 5
Cardiff - 3 goals in 4
Watford - 3 goals in 4
Boro - 5 goals in 5
Wycombe - 1 goal in 5

Excluding our games.

Yet to meet anyone with a particularly potent attack. The likes of Bristol, Bournemouth, Blackburn, Brentford are all scoring fairly well and will prove an interesting test for the defence.

We're not playing especially well, but we have the quality to pick up goals and the base to keep clean sheets.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 08:44

Sanguine We got the win. The rest doesn't really matter. We aren't going to play well every week, and this was 'one of those games'. But as per the second post on the thread, there was a definite improvement after the break (or arguably after 35 minutes or so).

Esteves looks a terrific acquisition. Excited to see more from him. Semedo looks decent too, very direct, quick, eager to get on the ball. Feel like the ball bounced off of him a lot, I didn't quite see the 7/10 that a lot are granting him.

Meite. Sorry, seems a lovely chap, but I've not understood Meite since he joined us. His finishing isn't improving. His work-rate has, but his end product is so often lacking. Just don't get it.

Meite causes defenders a problem with his physical presence and regularly scores goals. It's that simple.

He rarely looks special, but he frequently produces the goods.

You can't knock his record over the last few seasons. 16 goals last year wasn't it... that doesn't happen by accident.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 21 Oct 2020 08:45

Sanguine
Franconian Royal
1st half: We were bullied a bit too much by Wycombe. We didn't have very good movement off the ball. Ejaria was fouled for a pen. How the ref / liner didn't see it, I'll never know. To me it was blatant that the defender committed himself and Ejaria was fouled.

Ejaria was waiting and waiting for any kind of physical contact. He got it and then fell over. There was no trip.

Correct a cheat just like that Rakels, and no end product.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 08:49

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine We got the win. The rest doesn't really matter. We aren't going to play well every week, and this was 'one of those games'. But as per the second post on the thread, there was a definite improvement after the break (or arguably after 35 minutes or so).

Esteves looks a terrific acquisition. Excited to see more from him. Semedo looks decent too, very direct, quick, eager to get on the ball. Feel like the ball bounced off of him a lot, I didn't quite see the 7/10 that a lot are granting him.

Meite. Sorry, seems a lovely chap, but I've not understood Meite since he joined us. His finishing isn't improving. His work-rate has, but his end product is so often lacking. Just don't get it.

Meite causes defenders a problem with his physical presence and regularly scores goals. It's that simple.

He rarely looks special, but he frequently produces the goods.

You can't knock his record over the last few seasons. 16 goals last year wasn't it... that doesn't happen by accident.

Don't know how anyone can argue with this. Also in the second half last night Richards worked a great ball into the box, crossed a perfect head height ball across the goal mouth and Joao didnt attack it. Thats one of the major benefits of Meite. He attacks those balls. Sure he might miss occasionally but he is a trier and we will win games because of him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 08:51

karbota
Sanguine
Franconian Royal
1st half: We were bullied a bit too much by Wycombe. We didn't have very good movement off the ball. Ejaria was fouled for a pen. How the ref / liner didn't see it, I'll never know. To me it was blatant that the defender committed himself and Ejaria was fouled.

Ejaria was waiting and waiting for any kind of physical contact. He got it and then fell over. There was no trip.

Correct a cheat just like that Rakels, and no end product.

Sure, there wasn't a trip but if that had happened anywhere outside the penalty box and it would have been a free kick to us. 5 minutes after that Rinomhota did the exact same thing to a Wycombe player in the centre circle.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:02

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal The reason we're top is boro beat Bristol. We drew with them. Cardiff and Boro have also been a challenge.

Big +1. I think every game has provided us with a test so far apart from Derby and Derby was the first game.

Without sounding like I am getting carried away i think Blackburn is going to be a good test for us. They are scoring quite a lot so should be difficult on the defenders and our strikers will have to continue to capitalise on their few chances.

Derby - 2 goals in 5
Barnsley - 3 goals in 5
Cardiff - 3 goals in 4
Watford - 3 goals in 4
Boro - 5 goals in 5
Wycombe - 1 goal in 5

Excluding our games.

Yet to meet anyone with a particularly potent attack. The likes of Bristol, Bournemouth, Blackburn, Brentford are all scoring fairly well and will prove an interesting test for the defence.

We're not playing especially well, but we have the quality to pick up goals and the base to keep clean sheets.

I wonder, because I don't want to do the work, if any of those teams have faced anyone particularly good in defense? Watford for example? I suppose Bristol played Boro who looked pretty tidy.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 09:08

URZZZZ
Zip
CountryRoyal
Not sure how Joao gets a 6 for scoring the winning goal and Ejaria gets a 7 who did oxf*rd all but slow the game down most of the time. He really pissed me off tonight.

Ejaria should have had an assist for a brilliant cross to Meite. He was in on goal following brilliant link up play with Joao but Yaks got in the way. He put in a very good cross which fell for Semedo who should have done better. So yeah three of our best moments came through him.

When he plays at a high tempo, he’s dangerous and tough to handle. The problem is he doesn’t do it enough, too much dawdling on the ball, twisting in and out

The most frustrating thing is if you rewind 10/11 months, people are saying the exact same thing about him. His decision making is what is stopping him from becoming a much better player, but then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us if that was the case

It will come. He has all the ability in the world and if he’s creating three excellent chances per game as he did last night then he really is doing his job. Very surprised at the negative comments about his performance last night. Can anyone name a player who created more than he did last night?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 09:14

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Big +1. I think every game has provided us with a test so far apart from Derby and Derby was the first game.

Derby - 2 goals in 5
Barnsley - 3 goals in 5
Cardiff - 3 goals in 4
Watford - 3 goals in 4
Boro - 5 goals in 5
Wycombe - 1 goal in 5

Excluding our games.

I wonder, because I don't want to do the work, if any of those teams have faced anyone particularly good in defense? Watford for example? I suppose Bristol played Boro who looked pretty tidy.

Defences are very much on top in the Championship this season. Only Blackburn are currently averaging more than two goals per game. I think there are 7 PL teams averaging more than two goals per game.
There are simply not that many goals being scored in the Championship this season. Well down on the top flight for goals. Just look at last night’s games. Very low scoring.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 09:15

I thought Ejaria was our biggest threat by a distance yesterday and against Boro. He does need to start getting those shots on target thought - thats 4 or 5 from similar positions that have all gone wide in the last couple of games. Wasn't a pen imo.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:16

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip
Ejaria should have had an assist for a brilliant cross to Meite. He was in on goal following brilliant link up play with Joao but Yaks got in the way. He put in a very good cross which fell for Semedo who should have done better. So yeah three of our best moments came through him.

When he plays at a high tempo, he’s dangerous and tough to handle. The problem is he doesn’t do it enough, too much dawdling on the ball, twisting in and out

The most frustrating thing is if you rewind 10/11 months, people are saying the exact same thing about him. His decision making is what is stopping him from becoming a much better player, but then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us if that was the case

It will come. He has all the ability in the world and if he’s creating three excellent chances per game as he did last night then he really is doing his job. Very surprised at the negative comments about his performance last night. Can anyone name a player who created more than he did last night?

This is important. We are criticising him based on what he isnt doing but not praising him for what he is doing. He was our biggest creator last night by some distance. Took 2 well earned shots that on another day would have gone in.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 09:17

NewCorkSeth
Zip
URZZZZ

This is important. We are criticising him based on what he isnt doing but not praising him for what he is doing. He was our biggest creator last night by some distance. Took 2 well earned shots that on another day would have gone in.

Yep.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 21 Oct 2020 09:19

Hound I thought Ejaria was our biggest threat by a distance yesterday and against Boro. He does need to start getting those shots on target thought - thats 4 or 5 from similar positions that have all gone wide in the last couple of games. Wasn't a pen imo.

Yes agree on the shooting. He kept going near post and shooting well wide. He needs to work on that. He was very creative though. I thought he played well and was surprised at the 5’s and 6’s for his performance.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2020 09:21

NewCorkSeth
Sanguine

Sure, there wasn't a trip but if that had happened anywhere outside the penalty box and it would have been a free kick to us. 5 minutes after that Rinomhota did the exact same thing to a Wycombe player in the centre circle.

Exactly, this is not a question of analysing players' souls and spiritual progress it's what is and isn't allowed in football and defenders know the score 100%. You make contact like that, a player might fall. If they do it's a foul. In the penalty box multiply that by a million. If you don't know that you have no business being a professional footballer. Ejaria's tricky run and sprint past him drew that defender's error to make contact.

To me it was definitely enough to knock lanky speeding Ejaria over, not just a dive, but as above it is irrelevant. Cast iron penalty.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:22

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Yep.

Sorry, also to add, he made 4 interceptions. After a match where many key players disappointed, including goalscorer Joao and Richards who has looked imperious, for people to be criticising Ejaria for not being as good as he could be is a bit silly. He was the only one linking the midfield to attack until Semedo came on.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2020 09:23

Zip
Hound I thought Ejaria was our biggest threat by a distance yesterday and against Boro. He does need to start getting those shots on target thought - thats 4 or 5 from similar positions that have all gone wide in the last couple of games. Wasn't a pen imo.

Yes agree on the shooting. He kept going near post and shooting well wide. He needs to work on that. He was very creative though. I thought he played well and was surprised at the 5’s and 6’s for his performance.

yep - against Boro kept going far post and missing, and this time was near post.

If he'd capped the last two performances with one or two of those flying in, we'd all be praising him.

Again, like with Puscas, feel a bit sorry for Aluko who looks set to be his understudy. Meite's a bit of an issue has his last few performances have been pretty poor - but then he does always offer that goal threat. We looked a lot better with him subbed off last night

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:24

Millsy
NewCorkSeth
Sanguine

Exactly, this is not a question of analysing players' souls and spiritual progress it's what is and isn't allowed in football and defenders know the score 100%. You make contact like that, a player might fall. If they do it's a foul. In the penalty box multiply that by a million. If you don't know that you have no business being a professional footballer. Ejaria's tricky run and sprint past him drew that defender's error to make contact.

To me it was definitely enough to knock lanky speeding Ejaria over, not just a dive, but as above it is irrelevant. Cast iron penalty.

By definition its a penalty sure but you will hardly ever see them given. Refs hate to give penalties for fouls like that. And I dont blame them! Ejaria would win 10 penalties a game if they did.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2020 09:26

Hound I thought Ejaria was our biggest threat by a distance yesterday and against Boro. He does need to start getting those shots on target thought - thats 4 or 5 from similar positions that have all gone wide in the last couple of games.

It'll come.

Close against Boro, close last night. Decent almost-assists last night too.

It's nice to see him freed up a little as teams are now putting the men on Joao instead possibly.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Oct 2020 09:28

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal The reason we're top is boro beat Bristol. We drew with them. Cardiff and Boro have also been a challenge.

Derby - 2 goals in 5
Barnsley - 3 goals in 5
Cardiff - 3 goals in 4
Watford - 3 goals in 4
Boro - 5 goals in 5
Wycombe - 1 goal in 5

Excluding our games.

As you've noted elsewhere, it's just a low scoring league so far. You have to go down to Brentford (6 in 5) in 13th to find a club that has conceded more than a goal a game, and to Coventry (10 in 6) in 18th for the first 'poor' defence.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Oct 2020 09:29

Hound
Zip

yep - against Boro kept going far post and missing, and this time was near post.

If he'd capped the last two performances with one or two of those flying in, we'd all be praising him.

Again, like with Puscas, feel a bit sorry for Aluko who looks set to be his understudy. Meite's a bit of an issue has his last few performances have been pretty poor - but then he does always offer that goal threat. We looked a lot better with him subbed off last night

I agree but I have to say Holmes took the joint second most touches on the pitch last night and did very little with them. We struggled down the right for a reason, the 2 of them struggled with the hard press and the introduction of Esteves and movement of Olise over to the right meant we had players with better first touch allowing us to make more of the lack of space and time.

If Esteves had started we might have seen a very different game first half and a more productive evening from Meite.

Of course if Meite had buried that header none of this would matter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2020 09:29

Millsy
NewCorkSeth
Sanguine

You know that shoulder to shoulder is fine. Contact =/= foul.

253 posts