52%
No
48%

Total votes: 106
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Would you take 4th place now?

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2020 17:35

Tbh, part of me would be very content to just finish 3rd to 14th for the rest of time.

Regular wins, in an exciting and competitive division.

Putting up with the astronomical gulf in quality and money in the PL and the massive condescending and entitled big club teams and their hordes of never been to a game armchair fans doesn't have the appeal it used to before we experienced it three times.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2020 18:27

I’d had been delighted with a place in the play offs at the start of the season. I still would tbh. I think I’d take it now

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Oct 2020 18:33

Yeah, I’d be happy with a play off place. I don’t want to get greedy.

I do enjoy being in the Premier League, even when we lose, but equally I would be happy sitting in the top half of the Championship for all eternity. But a season playing against the best players in the world sticks with you much more than a season at this level. Even when we got relegated last time, we got to see the likes of Bale, Suarez, David Silva, Cazorla - I am very lucky to have seen them at the Madejski and I’d love to add De Bruyne, Salah, Pogba and Havertz.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Oct 2020 19:02

Snowflake Royal Tbh, part of me would be very content to just finish 3rd to 14th for the rest of time.

Putting up with the astronomical gulf in quality and money in the PL and the massive condescending and entitled big club teams and their hordes of never been to a game armchair fans doesn't have the appeal it used to before we experienced it three times.

Totally agreed

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Oct 2020 19:03

SCIAG Yeah, I’d be happy with a play off place. I don’t want to get greedy.

I do enjoy being in the Premier League, even when we lose, but equally I would be happy sitting in the top half of the Championship for all eternity. But a season playing against the best players in the world sticks with you much more than a season at this level. Even when we got relegated last time, we got to see the likes of Bale, Suarez, David Silva, Cazorla - I am very lucky to have seen them at the Madejski and I’d love to add De Bruyne, Salah, Pogba and Havertz.

OTOH totally agreed with this too.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Oct 2020 19:04

I guess my dream would be to see us go up via the play offs at Wembley.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Oct 2020 19:13

No.Shit or bust.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Oct 2020 19:31

LUX
SCIAG Yeah, I’d be happy with a play off place. I don’t want to get greedy.

OTOH totally agreed with this too.

You seem to be in a very agreeable mood today Lux. :D

I don't agree with Ian that The Championship is the exciting league that he suggests.
As I see it, the season is one great slog undertaken mainly by nearly men and loan players earning far more than they should for the level of skill on offer.

I would prefer either The Premier League and to see the top players of the day or the honest, hard working teams of Div 1.
The Championship IMHO is stuck between the two and I have never liked it other than when we were promoted with 106 points watching a Premier League team in waiting.

I do agree with you, Sciag and Ian that keeping up with the Joneses in the Premier League is difficult but Brighton , Palace and Bournemouth as well as Southampton and Burnley have shown that the "lesser" clubs can hold their own with good management and investment but I wouldn't want to see us do what we did in the 2nd year of the first promotion and immediately for the second and not invest to compete.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 27 Oct 2020 18:19

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Think how great it'll be when we eventually win a final.

Would of course take that, but it would be horrendous if it was in front of an empty Wembley.

I don't think we'd mind at the time tbf

I may be in the minority, but the biggest element about not winning a playoff is missing out on the euphoria of the day out rather than missing out on promotion. In 02 and 12 when we got promoted the year after, it was clearly amazing, but for me there is still a big box that needs to be ticked to complete the set of success - and that’s walking away from Wembley finally being victorious.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2020 18:21

URZZZZZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZZZZZ
Would of course take that, but it would be horrendous if it was in front of an empty Wembley.

I may be in the minority, but the biggest element about not winning a playoff is missing out on the euphoria of the day out rather than missing out on promotion. In 02 and 12 when we got promoted the year after, it was clearly amazing, but for me there is still a big box that needs to be ticked to complete the set of success - and that’s walking away from Wembley finally being victorious.

Totally

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 27 Oct 2020 18:28

URZZZZZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZZZZZ

But losing in the final is soooo depressing I honestly don't think I could go through it again.
It would be amazing to win one but I'm happy if we're just destined to win promotion via proper methods!

Obviously I would go to a play off final should we get there again

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Oct 2020 19:08

Snowflake Royal Tbh, part of me would be very content to just finish 3rd to 14th for the rest of time.

You see, now you have ruined it by giving me facts and the harsh reality.
I actually don't want to be a Bournmouth or a Burnley hanging around the bottom of the league and knowing who your gonna lose to. And that shitty VAR.
I love the Championship.
Wish we could just win it and start again next season in the same league.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2020 08:41

Hendo After the last couple of seasons? Yes, 100%

I may have to revisit this in a couple of weeks :?

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 28 Oct 2020 17:56

No Fanks. Let's get auto!

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 29 Oct 2020 11:29

Ascotexgunner

You see, now you have ruined it by giving me facts and the harsh reality.
I actually don't want to be a Bournmouth or a Burnley hanging around the bottom of the league and knowing who your gonna lose to. And that shitty VAR.
I love the Championship.
Wish we could just win it and start again next season in the same league.

I cannot comprehend this. No matter how many shitty elements there are to the PL, the goal is to get there and enjoy seeing our beloved Reading FC competing in one of the best leagues in the world and getting national and sometimes international exposure.
Shit or bust for me on the opinion poll.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Oct 2020 11:31

Winning > losing

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Oct 2020 11:37

Yep it’s a difficult hypothesis but if promotion and relegation were to not exist, would you rather lose every game in a better league, or win every game in a lower league? Easy answer for me.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Oct 2020 11:48

Snowflake Royal Winning > losing

To not get promoted you're going to have to lose some, how would you cope?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2020 11:48

thing is there is no guarantee of being any good the following year if we didnt go up this year.

Look at the absolute misery of Stam season 2. One of the most depressing seasons in memory. I'd take promo every time - then at least if we were rubbish in the Prem we'd get a bit of cash and get to see some decent players, not the likes of Rotherham or Wycombe

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2020 11:55

Yeah pretty much the only excitement we can hope for in our lifetimes is getting to the PL. So being in the Champ is the best as there's always that possibility. Once we're up it gets very different.

I guess once we're up there's the 'excitement' of staying up and the occasional big team scalp.

Go up, some wins, stay up, occasional big wins, cement our place as a regular PL side over a few seasons and then maybe do a WoLOLves, Soton, Villa, Leeds, etc as this time we would hopefully invest a bit more once up.

141 posts