MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a) sponsored by Paul McShane

437 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (a) sponsored by Paul McShane

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 14:34

Why do we need to freshen up exactly? Wycombe and Rotherham were hardly big tests for us, we played well within our capabilities. Stayed in 2nd gear for both games. We also have an international break coming up soon so the majority of the players will have a chance to have a break.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Oct 2020 14:41

NewCorkSeth Question going forward: is Olise better at free kicks than Swift?

I lived his attempt at a long range free kick on Saturday and loved even more that Pauno said they had analysed Blackmail positioning and it was very much something they were looking out for.

I’m going to plump for Olise
Reckon he will hit the target more often than Swift, based on minimal evidence admittedly.
Just think his technique is a touch better

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 26 Oct 2020 14:43

This is gonna be the first real test for the defence I think, Armstrong is the kind of striker Morrison has struggled with in the past and Blackburn have scored as many as Wycombe, Derby, Barnsley and Rotherham combined so far.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Oct 2020 14:45

I want us to go up there and put on a display like we did against Middlesbrough, I think it will end up being a very similar type of game. Would happily take a 0-0.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Oct 2020 14:48

paultheroyal
windermereROYAL I`m a bit puzzled why Aluko appears to have fallen out of favour again following his top display against the hornets. if we`re going to freshen up the AM area I would like to see him get a chance.

Over whose expense?

With the heavy schedule certain players need to be rested as were Olise and Joao on Saturday, we could bench Meite or Ejaria.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Oct 2020 14:53

30 goals in the last 7 games between the sides including some good Reading performances along the way.
There was even that game under Coppell when we would have got into Europe but lost IIRC by the odd goal.

One of the things that our defence has done so well this season (unlike in other seasons) is to close down the opposition so that they don't have a free shot from distance and hopefully that will continue tomorrow night as this lot, especially Armstrong and Gallagher can finish.

An interesting match-up ahead perhaps when Esteves could (unless Elloitt plays on the right) well be up against somebody younger than him for possibly the only time this season.
A game to look forward to and whatever happens there is every chance that we enter November still at the top.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2020 14:56

Anything less than a clean sheet/goal rout combo is going to feel like my soul is being crushed and I will be left with an existential crisis

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2020 14:58

genome Purely from a law of averages point of view we're going to concede at some point

Would love to see someone arrested and charged under that law!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Oct 2020 15:00

South Coast Royal There was even that game under Coppell when we would have got into Europe but lost IIRC by the odd goal.

3-3

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Oct 2020 15:01

South Coast Royal 30 goals in the last 7 games between the sides including some good Reading performances along the way.
There was even that game under Coppell when we would have got into Europe but lost IIRC by the odd goal.

One of the things that our defence has done so well this season (unlike in other seasons) is to close down the opposition so that they don't have a free shot from distance and hopefully that will continue tomorrow night as this lot, especially Armstrong and Gallagher can finish.

An interesting match-up ahead perhaps when Esteves could (unless Elloitt plays on the right) well be up against somebody younger than him for possibly the only time this season.
A game to look forward to and whatever happens there is every chance that we enter November still at the top.

Has Elliott played down the left for them yet?? Thought it was Brereton.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Oct 2020 15:04

I can see this 3-3, or 4-3 either way. Would bite your dick off for a 0-0 though.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Oct 2020 15:04

windermereROYAL
South Coast Royal There was even that game under Coppell when we would have got into Europe but lost IIRC by the odd goal.

3-3

It felt like a loss as we were close (never again?) to qualification although suspected that neither club nor Steve wanted it.
Yet another game v Blackburn full of goals so it's 0-0 tomorrow then eh? :wink:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2020 15:08

Blackburn's 3 wins this season have come against the worst, 2nd worst and 4th worst teams in the division, and they scored 13 of their 16 goals in those 3 games too.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Oct 2020 15:09

Winston Biscuit Blackburn's 3 wins this season have come against the worst, 2nd worst and 4th worst teams in the division, and they scored 13 of their 16 goals in those 3 games too.

Interesting stat!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Oct 2020 15:16

Winston Biscuit
genome Purely from a law of averages point of view we're going to concede at some point

Would love to see someone arrested and charged under that law!

I believe Dominic Cummings was arrested under that law but the charges were dropped. He claimed the BODMAS exception

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Oct 2020 15:18

'What you in for pal?

'20 stretch for armed robbery. You?'

'got done under the law of averages, said we simply wouldn't concede against Blackburn'

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Oct 2020 16:32

South Coast Royal
windermereROYAL

3-3

It felt like a loss as we were close (never again?) to qualification although suspected that neither club nor Steve wanted it.

We did "qualify" for European competition at the end of that season, but turned down the chance of being entered into the Intertoto Cup, with Blackburn taking the place up instead.

So I think it is fair to say that Coppell definitely did not want us to qualify for European competition....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Oct 2020 16:38

Mr Angry
South Coast Royal
windermereROYAL
3-3

We did "qualify" for European competition at the end of that season, but turned down the chance of being entered into the Intertoto Cup, with Blackburn taking the place up instead.

So I think it is fair to say that Coppell definitely did not want us to qualify for European competition....

I still think that defeatist attitude contributed to relegation next year. We would have been forced to recruit better players for the European campaign and it would have kept the feelgood vibe at the club.

Near the start of the following season, we lost 3-0 at home to a West Ham side who had barely survived the season before, and SSC came out and said we couldn't be expected to compete with the likes of them. Our transformation from fearless overachievers to anxious relegation battlers was complete.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Oct 2020 17:23

NewCorkSeth Question going forward: is Olise better than Swift?

Resounding yes.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Oct 2020 18:31

Both teams have scored in the last 7 meetings between these two sides , too close to call looking at the stats W3 D1 L3 GF15 GA15.

437 posts