BTFT - Blackburn

148 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BTFT - Blackburn

by paultheroyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:00

Simmops I feel that we have something really good going at the moment.

You might be on to something here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 09:00

Hendo
Snowball
Zip
Nope Puscas will be hacked off at the lack of game time. Important he is kept involved. He will be needed. He is very unlucky to be out of the side after such a fine performance v Watford.

I think will start Friday

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he did start on Friday or possibly Wednesday against PNE.

yeah be a good option against Cov. I think him and Aluko will start

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 Oct 2020 09:02

Hound
Hendo
Snowball
I think will start Friday

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he did start on Friday or possibly Wednesday against PNE.

yeah be a good option against Cov. I think him and Aluko will start

Oh I forgot, Aluko did well when he came on. Just what we needed.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:05

We look the real deal. A performance like that in a tough game was important after the ugly wins against Wycombe and Rotherham. With the likes of Yiadom, Swift and Ejaria out, this is a seriously strong squad; only weakness is if Joao gets a long term injury. I see no reason why we can't get 3 more wins ahead of the international break.

As an aside, Armstrong looks like a quality player for them. 2 really good goals in terms of movement and finishing. Thankfully they didn't matter in the end.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Oct 2020 09:05

That was just excellent last night.

Firstly, Blackburn looked decent going forward and Armstrong is a handful at this level, reminds me a lot of ALF with his clinical finishing. Holtby as well has obvious class, having played at a high level for most of his career. They are way too open at the back though and while it may lead to an entertaining season for them, I don't think they'll have enough to push for a top-6 unless they get the defence sorted.

Not going to do player ratings as I find it hard when watching on a phone with just one camera, but I thought everyone had a really good game.

Didn't see it on Saturday but it sounded like Semedo had a bit of a stinker, if so he certainly turned it around last night. The through ball for Joao's goal with the outside of his foot was just beautiful.

Really like the look of Esteves, probably got a bit of work to do on the defensive side, but going forward he looks quality, he'll get there though, I am sure. If he does improve, it will be interesting to see what happens with Yiadom as he'll have to work really hard to get the position back.

Rhino and Laurent are a brilliant pair in the midfield and complement each other so well. Laurent brings a balance to this side which we have been missing since Williams left and allows Rhino to do what he does best. Brilliant goal from Laurent as well.

Olise is an unreal talent for his age. He might try and showboat a bit too much, but frankly I don't give a shit when he can do the things he does, just let him get on with it and know he is going to lose the ball occasionally when things don't come off quite as well.

Joao is the best all-round striker we've had since Kitson.

Said to my dad last night that they just look like a really well drilled team, and when you have a team who know exactly what their position is, what they are meant to do and are all pulling in the same direction, you end up with a team like this and it is a oxf*rd joy to watch.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Oct 2020 09:09

Watched the game on the Sky Red Button; it is clearly 45 seconds or so behind live play, as my Sky Sports App kept giving me the goal alerts before they were shown on the TV - which, for the first goal, was a bit bizarre to say the least!

:D

As for the game.....last night was the night that we will look back on sometime next Spring and say "That Blackburn game - that is when it was clear that we could actually do this......."

Against an excellent Blacknurn side who, if they can sort out their defence will be pushing for the Play Offs come the end of the season, we had everything - pace, skill, ingenuity, grit, fitness. Our defence, despite conceding twice to a top striker, were immense; the midfield - even though Brereton and Maltby were a constant threat for Blackburn - stood toe to toe with them and came out top, and as for our forward line....just superb.

I never like singling out individual players as it is a team game, but how exciting a prospect is Esteves, and just how good as a striker/target man is Joao??

With all due respect to the 2011/12 side, the current team is the best we have seen since our first season in the Premier League, and they have to be seen as genuine contenders now.

Its good to feel excited by a Reading team again!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2020 09:11

Hendo That was just excellent last night.

Firstly, Blackburn looked decent going forward and Armstrong is a handful at this level, reminds me a lot of ALF with his clinical finishing. Holtby as well has obvious class, having played at a high level for most of his career. They are way too open at the back though and while it may lead to an entertaining season for them, I don't think they'll have enough to push for a top-6 unless they get the defence sorted.

Not going to do player ratings as I find it hard when watching on a phone with just one camera, but I thought everyone had a really good game.

Didn't see it on Saturday but it sounded like Semedo had a bit of a stinker, if so he certainly turned it around last night. The through ball for Joao's goal with the outside of his foot was just beautiful.

Really like the look of Esteves, probably got a bit of work to do on the defensive side, but going forward he looks quality, he'll get there though, I am sure. If he does improve, it will be interesting to see what happens with Yiadom as he'll have to work really hard to get the position back.

Rhino and Laurent are a brilliant pair in the midfield and complement each other so well. Laurent brings a balance to this side which we have been missing since Williams left and allows Rhino to do what he does best. Brilliant goal from Laurent as well.

Olise is an unreal talent for his age. He might try and showboat a bit too much, but frankly I don't give a shit when he can do the things he does, just let him get on with it and know he is going to lose the ball occasionally when things don't come off quite as well.

Joao is the best all-round striker we've had since Kitson.

Said to my dad last night that they just look like a really well drilled team, and when you have a team who know exactly what their position is, what they are meant to do and are all pulling in the same direction, you end up with a team like this and it is a oxf*rd joy to watch.

Excellent assessment, spot on.

I think we need to enjoy Olise whilst it lasts. There is no way we can keep hold of that sort of talent for long. He is not only driving us to success but he is also going to be a huge part in securing financial stability because there is no way he would be going for any less than £20m on current form, especially if he signs a new deal.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Oct 2020 09:12

Mr Angry Watched the game on the Sky Red Button; it is clearly 45 seconds or so behind live play, as my Sky Sports App kept giving me the goal alerts before they were shown on the TV - which, for the first goal, was a bit bizarre to say the least!

As for the game.....last night was the night that we will look back on sometime next Spring and say "That Blackburn game - that is when it was clear that we could actually do this......."

Against an excellent Blacknurn side who, if they can sort out their defence will be pushing for the Play Offs come the end of the season, we had everything - pace, skill, ingenuity, grit, fitness. Our defence, despite conceding twice to a top striker, were immense; the midfield - even though Brereton and Maltby were a constant threat for Blackburn - stood toe to toe with them and came out top, and as for our forward line....just superb.

I never like singling out individual players as it is a team game, but how exciting a prospect is Esteves, and just how good as a striker/target man is Joao??

With all due respect to the 2011/12 side, the current team is the best we have seen since our first season in the Premier League, and they have to be seen as genuine contenders now.

:D Hang on the game hasn’t started and we’re 1 up!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 09:16

Am I getting ahead of myself thinking we could have the basis for a sustained period of success like Brighton and Palace?

Agree on Olise; he will spend his career at a higher level, and if it's not with us we must maximise revenue from his sale. Get him on a long term contract and he's worth £20m

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 28 Oct 2020 09:18

What struck me most last night was how comfortable our players look on the ball these days. They don’t mind receiving the ball when tightly marked and we keep and use the ball so well with players with great touch. For a player like Olise to have that ability and air of calmness on the ball is unnerving, he is already a hell of a player and will only get better as the season goes on.

His goal last night brought back memories of a young Gylfi’s impish goal away at Leicester in his breakthrough season 10 years or so ago. Just frighteningly quick feet and footballing brain, I just hope we keep him longer than we were able to keep Gylfi.

Both he and Esteves have really bright futures ahead of them.

A solid keeper, and two great full backs, some steel and pace throughout the team. I know it is only 8 games in but if we can keep everyone happy, motivated, and fit for most of the season, we can definitely be a top six side this season. Trying really hard not to get carried away...this is Reading after all!

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 28 Oct 2020 09:20

Mr Angry Watched the game on the Sky Red Button; it is clearly 45 seconds or so behind live play, as my Sky Sports App kept giving me the goal alerts before they were shown on the TV - which, for the first goal, was a bit bizarre to say the least!

Spot on all round. No quibble here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2020 09:21

The goal from Olise shows just how good he is. To have the nous to slow down, draw the defender into the challenge just as he accelerated away was superb. Then a great finish to go with it. His set pieces are excellent as well.

I know he was a year or two younger, but watching that Bellingham at Brum last year. I thought he just looked another player - albeit a very young one. Olise stands out like a beacon. So confident and skilful

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Oct 2020 09:39

karbota Outstanding performance, only marred by the knee thing.

Ah bless, Did someone leave the care home computer unlocked and unsupervised again?

I'm sure social services will eventually locate your family, karbota.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2020 10:25

paddy20 Anyone think the forward line moved a lot quicker with some crisp inter passing? Ejaria tends to hold onto the ball and slow things down a lot. The pace up front was a big change.

It's great to be able to mix things up though. Ejaria slowing the game down v Rotherham created the first goal for Meite.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Oct 2020 10:39

Nothing much to add to this good summary MrA other than that Joao has to be managed very carefully with his dire injury record throughout his career.
Last night was the first time I have thought "wow" about this side and I am so hoping that for the one game that matters more than the rest for me, Bournemouth away where we have been dreadful in our more recent fixtures, we are in the same form as last night.

I do think we might struggle against ultra defensive sides because we , like Liverpool, Spurs etc, are a team that scores most of its goals on the counter attack so it is handy when teams like Blackburn take us on but does that really matter?.
Our conversion rate of goals to chances is phenomenal.

As another poster has said, we may well benefit from Ejaria and Swift having to step up more and raise their own standards when they get to play which has to be good for our chances.
Hopefully while these players are buzzing the manager doesn't make too many changes for the Coventry game-having said that, whatever he does so far cannot seriously be questioned.
Last edited by South Coast Royal on 28 Oct 2020 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Oct 2020 10:40

Anyone else concerned with Rafaels kicking the last few games? Minor point so far but it seems to have gone to absolute shit.

For me I think Richards has been MOTM for the last 3 games. He looks incredible.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 Oct 2020 10:47

Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else concerned with Rafaels kicking the last few games? Minor point so far but it seems to have gone to absolute shit.

For me I think Richards has been MOTM for the last 3 games. He looks incredible.

Yes agree about Rafael’s kicking. Constantly gave the ball back to the opposition, his first time clearances are always so low it scares the crap out me.

That being said I suppose if he was as good with his feet as he is making saves he wouldn’t playing in the championship.

Re Richards - he had an absolute stinker the other day (everyone did though tbf) and apart from mistake yesterday was excellent. He’s in the whoscored team of the season for left back so far, for good reason. What a player.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 28 Oct 2020 10:48

Jagermesiter1871 Anyone else concerned with Rafaels kicking the last few games? Minor point so far but it seems to have gone to absolute shit.

I think it has helped him a lot in that when he ventures forward on a run (as a converted winger that is probably the strongest part of his game) he knows that one of the defensive midfielders will automatically cover.

It is great to have a manager who clearly knows what he is doing and the players are buying into the excellent organisation.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Oct 2020 11:11

I'll never understand how we have managed to sign Esteves. The kid is going to play at the very top based upon what I have seen thus far. A couple of times last night I was worried about Blackburn break and BAM there is he to break up the play and keep a cool head and that was on both the left and right wings. He covers so much ground.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Oct 2020 11:16

Zip
:D Hang on the game hasn’t started and we’re 1 up!

"They have computers now" - Trig

Reminds me his famous line in Only Fools and horses, when they're plotting a crime and there's a knock on the door and Trig reckons it's the pigs. When pointed out they haven't done anything yet he replies with this classic.

In this case he's kinda spot on! :lol:

148 posts